Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Greg Kasavin

Person » credited in 11 games

Former game journalist Greg Kasavin is currently the Creative Director of Supergiant Games, developer of Bastion. He has previously worked at 2K, EA LA, and was Editor-in-Chief of GameSpot.

Greg Kasavin doing a PAX panel!

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By buzz_killington

From PAX's official schedule:  

Friday, 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM, Unicorn Theatre

Memoirs of a Triple Agent

The game industry is like Starcraft: It has three sides (two of which hate each other) and you're likely to get destroyed when first you get near any of them. Developers, publishers, and the media continue to coexist in a tense symbiotic relationship, and in this panel, industry veteran Greg Kasavin will walk you through what it's like being on the inside of all three, and tips for how to deal with each. Kasavin's unique experience having worked as editor-in-chief of a major gaming publication, as a line producer on a noted development team, and on the publishing side of a company behind some of the year's biggest games has given him a broad perspective he hopes will usher in a new age of peace and prosperity in the industry. On second thought, he'd settle for you coming to this panel.

Moderated by: Greg Kasavin [Producer, 2K Games]

As a great admirer of Greg's, this is really exciting news. Any Giant Bomb fans going to PAX should attend. Greg is a very knowledgable man, and this should be a very interesting panel.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I sincerely hope someone puts that on the internet somewhere. As I consider Kasavin to be somewhat of an idol to me, I would find it beneficial to watch this. Too bad I have the misfortune of not being able to attend.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

He's ambitious, I'll give him that, but he's also a tool for cheating his way into two amateur game design contests run by a fellow GameSpot editor while he was still at GS.  He also won, no doubt due to his inside knowledge.  Once he revealed his identity to the world, it basically ruined all of the good will that I felt the contest had.

GregK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By GregK
    @Hailinel said:
    "He's ambitious, I'll give him that, but he's also a tool for cheating his way into two amateur game design contests run by a fellow GameSpot editor while he was still at GS.  He also won, no doubt due to his inside knowledge.  Once he revealed his identity to the world, it basically ruined all of the good will that I felt the contest had. "

For some reason the idea that someone could think I cheated to win that old contest provoked me into responding here. If you're interested in my side of the story on what happened, this is the article I wrote where I "outed" myself as a contest participant and explain everything that happened in some detail. It's an interesting article for me to look back on now that I've been tooling around in game development for a few years, so thank you for giving me a reason to look it up.

To the rest of you guys, yeah...! I'm hosting a PAX panel, which I still need to prepare for a bunch. If you could make it that would be great.
    turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By turboman

why pax doesn't stream all of their panels confuses me, cause if I lived anywhere near PAX, I would be first in line for this one.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By ReyGitano

Next year when I go to Berkeley, I'm going to hit up PAX no matter what. These panels just seem to get better every year.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Red12b

Greg K at PAX, awesome, 
    @GregK 
    Hey man, How is it? Cheers for still writing articles/Blogs, they are really interesting to read. 

I wash I could go to PAX, but seeing as it isn't held In New Zealand, kinda proves a bit hard to go, 

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By DystopiaX
    @TurboMan said:
    " why pax doesn't stream all of their panels confuses me, cause if I lived anywhere near PAX, I would be first in line for this one. "
    This. Also, is the GB one going to be streamed? shit seems like it'd be hilarious.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Undeadpool
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Red12b

I wash? I wash I could go...

Fuck's sake..

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Undeadpool
    @Red12b:  
    You and me both! I said Gabe when I should've said Tycho!
    endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By endless_void

Holy shit, I NEED TO SEE THIS. Someone going to PAX, PLEASE tape it and post it.

@GregK:  Dude! You have to start making reviews again someday! You're awesome.

RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By RTSlord
    @GregK said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    "He's ambitious, I'll give him that, but he's also a tool for cheating his way into two amateur game design contests run by a fellow GameSpot editor while he was still at GS.  He also won, no doubt due to his inside knowledge.  Once he revealed his identity to the world, it basically ruined all of the good will that I felt the contest had. "

For some reason the idea that someone could think I cheated to win that old contest provoked me into responding here. If you're interested in my side of the story on what happened, this is the article I wrote where I "outed" myself as a contest participant and explain everything that happened in some detail. It's an interesting article for me to look back on now that I've been tooling around in game development for a few years, so thank you for giving me a reason to look it up. To the rest of you guys, yeah...! I'm hosting a PAX panel, which I still need to prepare for a bunch. If you could make it that would be great. "
    HOLY CRAP!!!! GREG KASAVIN'S ON GB!!!!!!
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#14  Edited By ArbitraryWater

This is the part where I wish I was going to PAX. Nope. It wasn't the promise of yet-another Giant Bomb Panel. It was the promise of a Greg Kasavin Panel. Any man who uses a creature from Disciples 2 as his icon is a man worthy of my respect. Also, that article is hilariously ironic, in retrospect.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Red12b

@GregK  

Get interviewed for the luchazine, I mean seriously, that would be fucking awesome. 

Do it 

DO IT!

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I moving to fucking Washington so I can go to god damn PAX.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#18  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It sounds awesome. This is the kind of thing which makes me wish I could go to PAX.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hailinel
    @Meltbrain said:
    " @Hailinel:  You just got told by Greg K. Awesome. "
    Well, he told me something, in that he addressed a response to me.  He didn't exactly serve me, though.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By jkz

EFFF. And now the fact that I'm not going to make it to PAX stings even more.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hailinel
    @Meltbrain said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Meltbrain said:
    Well, he told me something, in that he addressed a response to me.  He didn't exactly serve me, though. "
    Oh, I think you got served pretty good. "
    All he did was link to an old article he wrote, which I had already read years ago and did nothing to quell my distaste for his cheating.  Actually, it was that article that annoyed me in the first place.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hailinel
    @Meltbrain said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Meltbrain said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Meltbrain said:
    Well, he told me something, in that he addressed a response to me.  He didn't exactly serve me, though. "
    All he did was link to an old article he wrote, which I had already read years ago and did nothing to quell my distaste for his cheating.  Actually, it was that article that annoyed me in the first place. "
    Well I think you're on your own there, buddy. "
    Nobody asked you.  How about you let Greg speak for himself and quit acting the part of the sycophant?
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lukeweizer

I love Greg. I hope we does an impromptu marathon of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

GregK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GregK

Mission accomplished...?
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By buzz_killington

^^ Dude, that's Gamespotting Live's Greg Kasavin!! He just posted something on my thread!! Awesome!! ^^
    And guys, just a reminder that we're here to talk about Greg's panel and not something-that-I-don't-know-what-it-is-but-it-apparently-pissed-one-dude-off-real-bad. So, yeah.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Gav47

I can of no better man to talk about games media and production.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By ZmillA

@Hailinel got destoryed ITT, nuff said.

So any word about a stream for this panel?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By TheHT
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Meltbrain said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Meltbrain said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Meltbrain said:
    All he did was link to an old article he wrote, which I had already read years ago and did nothing to quell my distaste for his cheating.  Actually, it was that article that annoyed me in the first place. "
    Nobody asked you.  How about you let Greg speak for himself and quit acting the part of the sycophant? "
    Thing about public forums, no one needs to ask.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Red12b
    @TheHT said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Meltbrain said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Meltbrain said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Meltbrain said:
    Nobody asked you.  How about you let Greg speak for himself and quit acting the part of the sycophant? "
    Thing about public forums, no one needs to ask. "
    Exactly your message is public, it's in the open, Sure you can be all pissed off, it's your prerogative to be so, but it's also our prerogative to say this

you got served.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.