Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GRID 2

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 27, 2013

The sequel to the original "reboot" of the TOCA Race Driver series, GRID (known as Racedriver: GRID outside of the US). It uses the same EGO 3.0 Engine which was used in Dirt 3 and employs a brand new system called "TrueFeel" which provides a balance between accessibility and realism.

Well I feel disappointed...

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I can't really put my tongue on it, but Grid 2 does not feel as fun as the first one. I wouldn't really say it's because of the game having no cockpit view, but more like I feel like the game sacrificed a lot for the sake of graphics. The game looks amazing in terms of lighting, reflections and the damage models are very intricate. What Grid 2 fails is in the way the cars handle. There are no settings to adjust assists commonly found in other racing titles such as ABS or TCS. I had heard in an interview that these assists were going to be turned off, yet it feels like someone forgot to flip the switch... my brakes don't lock under heavy braking and all it takes to put my car into slide is the tap of the brake and floor the gas. What is really odd though is that I noticed if I did drift around corners instead of picking a line and apexing, my lap times would start to become smaller. Drifting may be a more risky maneuver, but it all it takes is getting used to how Grid 2 plays. Codemaster games have never been the most realistic playing racing games, but they at least approached car handling to seem believable, especially with the first Grid. In my opinion this game is just too arcadey...

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By jdh5153

Forza 4 is your answer. I can't wait for 5.

I've never played Grid, but I wouldn't expect anything to rival Forza in terms of simulation racing that's still very approachable.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153 said:

I've never played Grid, but I wouldn't expect anything to rival Forza in terms of simulation racing that's still very approachable.

It is called Gran Turismo.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bummer, I was hoping this would be Forza for PC.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@darji said:

@jdh5153 said:

If you want lifelessness in your car game sure.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@jdh5153 said:

lol what? just because you can not draw dicks on the cars? If you want it or not GT is the most realistic driving sim that you can get on consoles. Some of Forzas tracks even were manipulated because the team thought that the ral track would not have been fun.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Devildoll

codemasters racing games have always been a bit more on the casual side.
    It's not as serious as a GT or Forza, the prior games have been good fun though.

have they marketed this game as a sim? i must have missed that, in that case.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

have they marketed this game as a sim? i must have missed that, in that case.

This is exactly how I feel about it rought now.

Personally I find the game is good in it's own right but I find it kind of too generic as well.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@darji said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@darji said:

@jdh5153 said:

lol what? just because you can not draw dicks on the cars? If you want it or not GT is the most realistic driving sim that you can get on consoles. Some of Forzas tracks even were manipulated because the team thought that the ral track would not have been fun.

I don't even know why you bring Gran Turismo up in a thread about Grid. Grid is an arcade racer, and a natural progression from that would be Forza. Forza is the perfect mix of arcade and simulation in my opinion, it also has so much good stuff around the driving. While Gran Turismo is an empty shell that just cares about a few specific things. I thought Gran Turismo 5 was incredibly boring but absolutely adore Forza 4.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa said:

@darji said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@darji said:

@jdh5153 said:

I don't even know why you bring Gran Turismo up in a thread about Grid. Grid is an arcade racer, and a natural progression from that would be Forza. Forza is the perfect mix of arcade and simulation in my opinion, it also has so much good stuff around the driving. While Gran Turismo is an empty shell that just cares about a few specific things. I thought Gran Turismo 5 was incredibly boring but absolutely adore Forza 4.

Gran Turismo will forever be king. 5 sold 10 million and 6 will sell much more. The Asian/European scene for gran turismo is crazy

dskillzhtown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By dskillzhtown

I'll give it a try. I am not a fan of racing sims. An arcade racer with great graphics works for me.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@darji said:

@jdh5153 said:

Gran Turismo is the least approachable racing game on consoles.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first grid had mediocre physics at best. No console game has a better feeling of adhesion,momentum and suspension than the forza games. Gran Turismo 6 is just now getting proper suspension movement and a tire model from Yokohama. Forza is what you want.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No racing game will ever be better than Rush 2 for the N64. Full goddamn stop.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AiurFlux

I'm incredibly disappointed that there's only 5 seasons to go through, there's no Le Mans, there's no higher car level than the GT3 category, the driving model is very hit or miss (drifting is fine, using actual grip isn't), and some of the race modes feel like absolute chores to play (Faceoff series and Time Attack).

I'll be honest, GRID 1 was a much better game. GRID 2 is prettier. Big deal though. GRID 1 made you feel like an actual owner/driver of a race team with hiring teammates and shit like that. Even getting cars doesn't feel right. In GRID 1 you bought them, here you win them from companies for beating a time on track. What? This one puts you in a bubble and throws in a useless and underutilized ESPN license for some reason. I'm starting to question Codemasters a lot more lately. Around the time of Dirt 2 they were pretty much unstoppable and perfect. Then they released things like Dirt Showdown which didn't fit anything at all, the last two F1 games have been pretty middling, and GRID 2 is underwhelming. They're a one trick pony that is forgetting it's trick.

EDIT: And stupids, this is a thread about GRID. Shut the fuck up about GT and Forza. If you want to fellate them go to the respective forums. Jesus...

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Crash Tag Team Racing is pretty good, as long as we're on the topic on bringing up games that have little to do with Grid.

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aiurflux said:

I'm incredibly disappointed that there's only 5 seasons to go through, there's no Le Mans, there's no higher car level than the GT3 category, the driving model is very hit or miss (drifting is fine, using actual grip isn't), and some of the race modes feel like absolute chores to play (Faceoff series and Time Attack).

I'll be honest, GRID 1 was a much better game. GRID 2 is prettier. Big deal though. GRID 1 made you feel like an actual owner/driver of a race team with hiring teammates and shit like that. Even getting cars doesn't feel right. In GRID 1 you bought them, here you win them from companies for beating a time on track. What? This one puts you in a bubble and throws in a useless and underutilized ESPN license for some reason. I'm starting to question Codemasters a lot more lately. Around the time of Dirt 2 they were pretty much unstoppable and perfect. Then they released things like Dirt Showdown which didn't fit anything at all, the last two F1 games have been pretty middling, and GRID 2 is underwhelming. They're a one trick pony that is forgetting it's trick.

EDIT: And stupids, this is a thread about GRID. Shut the fuck up about GT and Forza. If you want to fellate them go to the respective forums. Jesus...

I've been looking for an authoritative opinion on this game from someone who obviously knows what was so good about the first Grid, so thanks for what sounds like an even-handed appraisal. I share your opinion on Codemasters' direction and all their recent games so more than likely I'd feel the same way about Grid 2, were I to cave in and buy it despite the evidence of my own eyes.

DFL017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DFL017

Are there any good racing sims for the pc? It seems like there are very few driving games released.

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first game didn't handle well at all. The car turned like a boat.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't really put my tongue on it, but Grid 2 does not feel as fun as the first one. I wouldn't really say it's because of the game having no cockpit view, but more like I feel like the game sacrificed a lot for the sake of graphics. The game looks amazing in terms of lighting, reflections and the damage models are very intricate. What Grid 2 fails is in the way the cars handle. There are no settings to adjust assists commonly found in other racing titles such as ABS or TCS. I had heard in an interview that these assists were going to be turned off, yet it feels like someone forgot to flip the switch... my brakes don't lock under heavy braking and all it takes to put my car into slide is the tap of the brake and floor the gas. What is really odd though is that I noticed if I did drift around corners instead of picking a line and apexing, my lap times would start to become smaller. Drifting may be a more risky maneuver, but it all it takes is getting used to how Grid 2 plays. Codemaster games have never been the most realistic playing racing games, but they at least approached car handling to seem believable, especially with the first Grid. In my opinion this game is just too arcadey...

Everything about how GRID 2 was going to play was made very clear before release. It's a need for speed knock off, not a GRID sequel.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

No racing game will ever be better than Rush 2 for the N64. Full goddamn stop.

Crash Tag Team Racing is pretty good, as long as we're on the topic on bringing up games that have little to do with Grid.

If we're going to do this then I must give Hot Wheels Turbo Racing a shout out. That game was so much fun as a kid, and it still is when I fire it up once or twice a year just to do a few races.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bigjeffrey

Man this game is bad, looked great on my PC and that was about it.

I would love Forza on PC. Damn microsoft and their xboxes

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@dfl017 said:

Are there any good racing sims for the pc? It seems like there are very few driving games released.

Depends. Are we talking racing games that an ordinary person could play and enjoy like Forza? The PC has some ridiculous sim stuff but none of it is as appealing as something like Forza or even Gran Turismo.

Play Burnout Paradise and experience what reality should be.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@darji said:

@jdh5153 said:

Gran Turismo is the least approachable racing game on consoles.

How? It's not hard to get into.

But anyway, it doesn't really matter because the last one worth playing was 3 and that's got to be coming up to 12 years old by now.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GRID was an arcade racer with some simulation influence. I really liked how it played so If that is the same, I can deal with anything shitty surrounding it.

Adrian79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Adrian79

Personally I find GT/Forza type games boring as hell, I'm having a blast with Grid 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.