The forums are getting a little depressing...

#1 Posted by squiDc00kiE (352 posts) -

So I've been a regular visitor here for a few years now. I came here from IGN because the community seemed so much more intelligent and mature. The content was more unique. You really got the feeling that everyone involved cared about what they're doing. And as far as the regular site goes, it's better than ever.

Recently however, Ive noticed something. The forums here have been getting more and more juvenile. I won't mention any thread's specifically, but within the last month or so the amount of fanboyism, rage, and general infantile discussion has seemed to be taking over. Now don't get me wrong ZombiePie's community spotlight is still amazing. But due to the general feeling I've been getting from the forums that's the only place I go now. Just roaming around the boards has lost it's appeal.

So why am I saying this? Because I love Giant Bomb. I love the community that it has created (Dota 2 GB guild duders are amazing). And I love games. I want to talk about games. I want to hear other people talk about games. Can't we do it while keeping our head's straight? While reading over what we say before we post it? While adding to the community, making a difference, and generating original ideas among some really cool people? I hope so. I don't want to leave.

#2 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

You just need some hyphy MUD. MUD stands for MAKE U DANGEROUS.

#3 Posted by Veektarius (4828 posts) -

What I've noticed is a drop in activity overall. I attribute this to numerous forum features being out of commission, such as reply notifications and any sort of reasonable system for becoming aware of activity on any game specific board (no recent topics list, the popular wiki forums list is not updated as far as I can tell.) Basically, using these forums is a slog and I only do it to alleviate fatigue at work.

#4 Posted by super2j (1691 posts) -

What I've noticed is a drop in activity overall. I attribute this to numerous forum features being out of commission, such as reply notifications and any sort of reasonable system for becoming aware of activity on any game specific board (no recent topics list, the popular wiki forums list is not updated as far as I can tell.) Basically, using these forums is a slog and I only do it to alleviate fatigue at work.

HERE HERE! or is it HEAR HEAR!?!

anyway I agree with you and it sucks.

#5 Posted by JasonR86 (9706 posts) -

Drawing attention to these particular issues won't make them go away. It'll just feed it. Rather be a part of the good threads and ignore the shit threads so that good threads become popular and the shit threads die out.

#6 Posted by Krullban (1036 posts) -

@super2j said:

@veektarius said:

HERE HERE! or is it HEAR HEAR!?!

anyway I agree with you and it sucks.

Yup. It really sucks.

#7 Posted by falserelic (5436 posts) -

@sploder said:

You just need some hyphy MUD. MUD stands for MAKE U DANGEROUS.

This man speaks the TRUTH!!!

#8 Edited by Veektarius (4828 posts) -
#9 Posted by Itwongo (1198 posts) -

@veektarius: it's the latter.

And yeah, I agree with you, OP. It's kinda disheartening.

#10 Edited by Noblenerf (320 posts) -

As a new Giant Bomb member, it can be very difficult to navigate the forums (and its plethora of subforums, scattered throughout the site) to find what I wish to post about. Many of the game subforums are barren wastelands with year-old topics, and the Recent Discussions list on the forum is messed up, displaying topics that were last replied to a year ago right next beside new discussions with seconds-old posts. Also, it doesn't filter the feed properly.

On top of this, I can never think of decent topics to begin, so I'm always looking for existing topics to post on. I think many users are the same way, and this leads to very circular, insular discussion amongst the community. Instead of discussions branching off like trees, it is more like a pyramid, going from dead end to dead end until there's nothing else to post about.

This website has the right idea, it us just not (currently) set up quite right to promote a healthy community.

#11 Posted by chiablo (929 posts) -

New consoles are launching soon, so people are excited and have lapses of judgement as a result. The speculative nature of what's happening later this year tends to bring out fanboys that aren't the most rational.

GiantBomb still has one of the best communities, even when it's at it's worst.

#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Now don't get me wrong ZombiePie's community spotlight is still amazing.

How oddly specific.

#13 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Well the forums are pretty busted right now. We need that CBSi money, maybe make a premium-premium membership?!

#16 Posted by Stonyman65 (2704 posts) -

I've said it before and I'll say it again: When the site was redesigned it killed the forums and the community.

I wasn't here since the beginning (I signed up in the summer of '09) but I remember when the forums had dozens of new topics a day and each thread had 5 or 6 pages worth of meaningful replies, now we're lucky if there are 3, and half of the posts are just quoting other people and random bullshit. I don't know what the hell happened within the last, I don't know, year and a half or so, but it seems like the entire community is gone. Hell, even the comments on videos and news stories are down from what they used to be not that long ago.

I'd really like to think that it's just a dry spell and things will start ramping up once new games and consoles are out later this year/next year, but I don't know. I think it's a combination of bad design (sorry Alexis) and just that there isn't much to talk about.

#18 Posted by Stonyman65 (2704 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

Drawing attention to these particular issues won't make them go away. It'll just feed it. Rather be a part of the good threads and ignore the shit threads so that good threads become popular and the shit threads die out.

I understand what you mean, but the problem isn't a "good vs bad thread" issue, but the fact that there are barely any threads to begin with. And even then, they only get maybe 20 or 30 replies and that's it. You've been around for 2 or 3 years now - I'm sure you remember how the forums used to be.

#19 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I've said it before and I'll say it again: When the site was redesigned it killed the forums and the community.

I wasn't here since the beginning (I signed up in the summer of '09) but I remember when the forums had dozens of new topics a day and each thread had 5 or 6 pages worth of meaningful replies, now we're lucky if there are 3, and half of the posts are just quoting other people and random bullshit. I don't know what the hell happened within the last, I don't know, year and a half or so, but it seems like the entire community is gone. Hell, even the comments on videos and news stories are down from what they used to be not that long ago.

I'd really like to think that it's just a dry spell and things will start ramping up once new games and consoles are out later this year/next year, but I don't know. I think it's a combination of bad design (sorry Alexis) and just that there isn't much to talk about.

I also find the moderation a bit odd. I mean i know they're just following the rules and guidelines they have, but it's crazy when someone makes a thread, like "what are you currently playing" and then a mod locks it because a thread like that existed 18 months ago and forces you to necro that one instead. I mean it wouldn't be that bad, but the search function on these forums is god awful. It essentially kills a friendly active thread in favor of a dead thread no one wants to use anymore since all the posts are so old the conversation is dead.

I dunno, it just seems like a crazy counter productive way to do things.

#20 Posted by Flappy (2245 posts) -

Sexism killed 2013, but some new consoles might brings things back from the dead.

#21 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3834 posts) -

@stonyman65 said:

I think the design has it's issues... but really it's just broken. The site doesn't work right anymore and then made the forums no longer a priority.

Kind of reap what you sow I guess.

I'm confused why it hasn't been addressed too... lack of staff? They talk about working on Gamespot, so I guess they all just moved there? Kind of ridiculous when their work here is still so broken.

#22 Posted by JasonR86 (9706 posts) -

@stonyman65:

I do. People were less uptight and serious. For me, I post less often because I just don't feel like getting into long discussions or arguments constantly. Some times I just want to be an idiot and do stupid shit like talk about what is considered a sandwich and what isn't.

#23 Edited by Marokai (2968 posts) -

The critical flaw of the redesign was that it prioritized staff content production and how fancy everything looked over retaining much loved features in the community like quests and achievement tracking, and improving forum use. As a result, everything looks fancy (when it works) on the video end, but encouraging integration in the community (which used to be one of the defining aspects of this site over other video game sites) has withered in the last several months. The current incarnation of the site very much feels like a website design made in conjunction with upper management, rather than with community wishes.

#24 Edited by Yummylee (21636 posts) -

The thing that sucks the most for me is that so many of the users I respected and enjoyed interacting with on the forums are gone, or don't post nearly as often. I remember that I was borderline addicted to the GB forums, as evidenced by my stupidly high post count. These days, though, I can sometimes go up to a week without posting a single comment. A small part of that might be because GB was the first forum I got seriously attached to, and it's now reached the point where the novelty has worn of.

Also, yeah, the site continues to be an absolute mess, so that can't be helping things.

#25 Posted by LassieME (230 posts) -

Yeah, the new site is still awful on the community front.

#26 Posted by Demoskinos (14826 posts) -

Whats killed it is people constantly wanting to get into stupid arguments about whatever social justice issue is hot that day. I still love the site and forums and have a number of people here there I keep in contact with outside of Giantbomb. The only thing that bums me out is the fact that the site continually breaks. It was real unfortunate dave bailed as soon as the site launched. I understand his reasons and don't blame him but at the same time I think the site would be better managed on a technical end if dave were still around.

#27 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

You know the forums are dead when a photoshop opportunity like this is totally unused:

I tried (and failed)

#28 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4504 posts) -

I don't post nearly as much because there's a lot of shit that's still broken and has been broken for what feels like forever. Also, there seems to be quite a few people, more so than in the past, being quite condescending (for lack of a better word) to the rest of the community as a whole. Straight up being dicks in some cases.

#29 Posted by spraynardtatum (2947 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

#30 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3381 posts) -
#31 Edited by Hailinel (24780 posts) -

@marokai said:

The critical flaw of the redesign was that it prioritized staff content production and how fancy everything looked over retaining much loved features in the community like quests and achievement tracking, and improving forum use. As a result, everything looks fancy (when it works) on the video end, but encouraging integration in the community (which used to be one of the defining aspects of this site over other video game sites) has withered in the last several months. The current incarnation of the site very much feels like a website design made in conjunction with upper management, rather than with community wishes.

Achievement tracking was dropped because it was such a pain for the devs to keep up to date. An API change on Microsoft or Sony's end would completely bone Giant Bomb's implementation of tracking, and there were just so many headaches involved with maintaining it that it was easier to simply cut it for now than struggle with maintaining it. As for quests, they're coming back eventually. It seems that with the GameSpot redesign, a feature similar to Giant Bomb quests is being implemented, and so GB quests will return using the same framework.

Hopefully without that god forsaken "First" quest.

#33 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

It's not the lack of interesting discourse.

It's not that the site is broken.

It's not the spammers.

It's the lack of NAKED CARTOON PUSSY. Jeez, it's like you guys don't remember your roots at all!

#34 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I agree completely. I've been a member of these forums since the site launched in 2008, and the level of discussion has seriously declined since then. These forums were amazing in 2008 - 2009.

#35 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@marokai said:

Achievement tracking was dropped because it was such a pain for the devs to keep up to date. An API change on Microsoft or Sony's end would completely bone Giant Bomb's implementation of tracking, and there were just so many headaches involved with maintaining it that it was easier to simply cut it for now than struggle with maintaining it. As for quests, they're coming back eventually. It seems that with the GameSpot redesign, a feature similar to Giant Bomb quests is being implemented, and so GB quests will return using the same framework.

Hopefully without that god forsaken "First" quest.

Apropos video. Am I the only one who can't properly fullscreen the videoplayer anymore on Firefox since the switch?

#36 Edited by Otacon (2209 posts) -

The forums need a design boost. I appreciate the mobile compatibility, but following other users and notifications need to be fixed.

#39 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

I've been here since the beginning and have absolutely loved this forum and the GB community. Whilst I'm not as active as I was in 08 - 09, I'll still at least browse the forums when I visit the site every day. I think the redesign pushed community stuff to the side a bit, we need a proper way to follow users and better notifications.

#40 Edited by Stonyman65 (2704 posts) -

Notifications are broken too. I didn't get anything about those quotes/replies. Good thing I checked back here.

Also, I've been having serious issues with forum posts and comments not going through and/or double or triple posting recently. @sathingtonwaltz has like 3 in this thread.

Edit: Goddamnit! It happened to me too. I'll delete that second one!

#42 Edited by Kr7stof (74 posts) -

@veektarius said:

I agree. I love the site and the community, nothing to complain there for me but the forum isn't one of the easiest.

Also, neogaf. I think a bunch of people went that way because its increased in popularity.

#43 Edited by MattyFTM (14384 posts) -

A new generation always creates lots of "fanboy" attention. Many people pick a side early on and will defend that console and badmouth the other one. And the lack of direct empirical data on the performance or sales or popularity of a console makes speculation rife, further worsening the situation.

We do moderate trolling and flaming posts, so if you see anything that is unnecessarily fanboyish behaviour - please let us know and we'll deal with them. It's not always easy to keep on top of every single post that infringes on our rules. But if you flag it and/or PM us (PMing us is normally the quickest way to bring something to our attention) we'll deal with it.

Moderator Online
#46 Posted by Hailinel (24780 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

A new generation always creates lots of "fanboy" attention. Many people pick a side early on and will defend that console and badmouth the other one. And the lack of direct empirical data on the performance or sales or popularity of a console makes speculation rife, further worsening the situation.

We do moderate trolling and flaming posts, so if you see anything that is unnecessarily fanboyish behaviour - please let us know and we'll deal with them. It's not always easy to keep on top of every single post that infringes on our rules. But if you flag it and/or PM us (PMing us is normally the quickest way to bring something to our attention) we'll deal with it.

Just who are the mods these days? I've lost track of who the active moderators are, or which are even active on the site. I didn't even realize MB was still around until he suddenly posted in a bunch of threads in the past couple of weeks.

#47 Posted by Sackmanjones (4702 posts) -

@super2j: I think the decrease in activity is due to the time of year. For a lot of people school has just started up again but on the flip side games are now coming out. I've been out of commissions on the forums for quite a bit but once the craziness settles (school wise) and picks up game wise we will see more people contribute.

#48 Posted by MattyFTM (14384 posts) -

@hailinel: MB has been busy for a while with personal things. I'm not sure how much he'd want to share with the larger community, so I'll just say it was a big deal and leave it at that. He should be back in full(ish) swing now.

I'd list & link to all the mods here for you, but I'm just about to go out so I don't have time. All the guys in this PM mods link (the one linked to in the forum rules, not the one at the side of the forums - that one contains staff test accounts and things too) are currently actively involved in moderating the site.

Moderator Online
#49 Edited by xyzygy (9988 posts) -

I found this place nearly impossible to visit after the reveal of the X1 and PS4. It has gotten better in the past few weeks, but it was just ridiculous at one point and totally drove me away from responding and replying.

#50 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.