Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grim Fandango

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 28, 1998

A LucasArts adventure game that follows skeletal travel agent Manny Calavera's four-year journey across the Land of the Dead in a film-noir-inspired tale of love, betrayal and corruption.

Was Grim Fandango a commercial success?

Avatar image for deactivated-6136175c8a44c
    deactivated-6136175c8a44c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I noticed that the current version of the main article makes the claim that Grim Fandango was not a commercial success.  Does anybody have a credible source to back that claim?  I know there's an interview with Tim Schafer floating around somewhere where he makes a statement to the effect that Grim Fandango met its financial target.  (Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the interview at the time of this posting.)  I also found a quote from a LucasArts spokesman stating that "Grim Fandango met domestic expectations and exceeded them worldwide." (source)  One would think that meeting a financial target (and ostensibly making a profit) would at the very least protect a game from being perpetually labeled a commercial failure.  (I'm not saying that that's what's stated in the main article.  There's a difference between "not a commercial success" and "commercial failure.")

What are your thoughts on the matter?  Does a game need to make millions to be considered a commercial success?  Should a game that meets or exceeds its financial expectations be considered a commercial failure?  Is Grim Fandango's lack of commercial success real, or is it an oft perpetuated internet rumor?

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I'm pretty sure it was not. Not on a grand scale at least.

Excuberance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Excuberance

In the Wikipedia article, they state only that "it was wildly considered a failure", but after looking through their sources, and stomping randomly through the interweb, I couldnt find much more then the  numbers spat out in the wiki page. The sources are generally blog-pages with people stating that it went bad.

So all I seem to be able to findis that it is infact wildly considered to be a comersial failure. The only thing we know is the numbers, which tell me nothing, and the fact that it did basically end the golden era of adventure gaming, in North America atleast.

Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Dan

A commercial success? It was effectively the death of an entire genre! One of the biggest tragedies fo the gaming industry. What a fantastic game, so unique and stylish, but no it didn't catch on and I'll be bitter about it forever

Kloreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Kloreep

The OP does make a good point though. Was it literally a failure, i.e. didn't make back its cost or something, or did it simply not post the kind of spectacular numbers that other more popular stuff was?

Excuberance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Excuberance

LucasArts said that "Grim Fandango met domestic expectations and exceeded them worldwide", and saying that while losing more money then was put in would be a downright lie.

Probably the term "commercial failure" here suggests that it sold much less compared to other games that got similar praise from the press.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By mracoon

Sadly it didn't do very well commercially.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.