Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GRIN

Company »

GRIN was a Swedish game development studio, best known for their work on the PC versions of the Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter series and the two new Bionic Commando games. GRIN closed their doors August 12th, 2009.

GRIN Not Doing So Hot In 2009

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CenturionCajun

Swedish developer GRIN has been pumping out the games recently. Previously best known for their PC ports of titles such as GRAW they branched out in 2009 to begin releasing tie-ins to major motion pictures and rebooting the Capcom classic Bionic Commando. Well, the numbers are in for the most recent releases and it doesn't look good. In their debut month Bionic Commando sold less than 27,000 units while Terminator Salvation did slightly better at 43,000. Keep in mind that this is 360 and PS3 combined.

I can't find numbers for Wanted: Weapons of Fate but I'm guessing it didn't fair much better than Terminator Salvation did. Things are going to be very interesting for GRIN as it appears they got their big chance and have delivered quite poorly. None of the reviewes for any of these three games were very good with Bionic Commando fairing the best at about a Metacritic average of 72. I doubt GRIN will collapse under these disappointing sales but I can't imagine them being given another high profile franchise to work with again.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Really sad to see this. Especially since Bionic Commando was an excellent game despite the frustrations.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By buzz_killington

I think 43,000 is not that bad for a tie-in for a movie that debuted with 40 million dollars on its first week of release. I believe they will get more license based work. Look at A2M for example. After years and years of making crappy (and I mean crappy in the most literal sense) license-based games, they have been given their big chance with WET.
    I think Ulf CONFIRMED on Bombcast that they are working on something, and also that they are not doing original IPs yet. So I think they will stick around for a little longer, maybe downsized, and maybe making games based on the Hannah Montana license for the DS and Wii, but I think they will survive and eventually make a polished and original game.
    As Ryan said, I see a lot of potential in GRIN. None of their games were poorly made, and I think with more time and a bigger budget they can deliever something great.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Systech

Maybe they're just going to have to fuck it.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jimbo

How did they end up expanding as quickly as they have without really anything major in their back catalogue?  I can't figure it out.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CenturionCajun

Yes, GRIN came from nowhere this year. I had never even heard of them, not being a big PC gamer, and suddenly they are putting out three relatively high profile games in the early months of 2009. Apparently sometime in late 2007 or early 2008 several people thought that GRIN had something going for it.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By VWGTI

It's a shame Terminator and Wanted turned out so poorly. Judging thoses up before their release, they looked pretty damn good. I will buy Wanted one of these days, but not before it reaches $20.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CenturionCajun

From everything I've read Wanted: Weapons of Fate and Terminator: Salvation weren't bad games. They were just criminally short. Three or four hours of gameplay does not justify a $60 price tag. I don't know if GRIN was working on a deadline or just didn't know what else to put into the game but if they were about twice as long I'm sure the review scores would have been much kinder.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mikemcn

I love the GRIN guys when they come on the podcast, i hope everything works out ok for them.

And i dont see why they wouldnt get another franchise to work on, if its cost effective for the publisher then they are going to get it regardless

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By flaminghobo

I haven't liked any of the GRIN games I've played, but I don't want the company to shut down simply for the sakes of those employed there.
    Hang in there and keep on, GRINing.

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By ShadowKiller

That really saddens me because the GRIN guys seemed like great people on the Bombcast. I'd love to buy Wanted if it wasn't so short...

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By gingertastic_10

I really like Bionic Commando. I'm interested in Terminator and Wanted and I have copies of them coming in. I would really like to see what GRIN could do if they made their own game. Not one based off of someone elses franchises.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

Sad to hear, especially since Bionic Commando was fucking awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.