Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guacamelee!

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 09, 2013

Guacamelee! is a side-scrolling Metroidvania style game featuring a luchador on a quest through dual worlds to save El Presidente's daughter.

Will the Symphony of the Night fan enjoy this?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

As a massive SOTN fan will I get anything from this game? I don't really have any interest in the luchador aspect of it. Then again I don't really care about vampires.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would say yes, although it depends how interested you are in combo-based combat, because that's quite different from Castlevania.

The basic gameflow is the same as SoTN, with a world opening up as you get new abilities, secrets to find, enemies to beat up, bosses. It's really funny, lovely visuals and I personally found the combat a lot of fun.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

The humor is a little hit or miss and the combat may be a little too deep for its own good. But it's a fun game and the art style is gorgeous.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@hollitz said:

combat may be a little too deep for its own good.

Yea. Shifting world to do a specific coloured power move while a clock is ticking on enemies before they blow up in a locked room. It frustrated me. It's not really that hard, but it wasn't fun, and it wasn't the kind of game where I felt the urge to master.

I'd be cautious if you need a SOTN fix, you might be disappointed. God that game was good.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Yes, it's more Metroid then Castlevania's item and weapon drops and RPG design. The joy of castlevania games are like leveling up a Pie and using that as a weapon to defeat the final boss. Guacamelee has an excellent combat, excellent platforming, fun puzzles and just a pure joy of a game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Sure, it's fun and stuff. Not amazing, but I enjoyed my time with it.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hard but satisfying. This game requires you to be faster and more accurate with a lot of the platforming sequences than other metroidvanias. If you don't enjoy that, then you won't enjoy this. The combat is fucking great but also is tough. The phase shifting and shields take away any feeling of mashiness straight away. The combat also makes the game way more replayable as it didn't get tiring during the game and I went straight back in when I finished it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.