Guardian Heroes Coming to Xbox Live Arcade With Possibly Questionable Art

• 50 results
Posted by patrickklepek (4127 posts) -

The original Guardian heroes (pictured above) sported some gorgeous Treasure sprites.
There are few Treasure games more revered than Guardian Heroes for the Saturn, a beat 'em up with some seriously rad sprite graphics. Sega announced today a remixed version is coming exclusively to Xbox Live Arcade later this year.

I say that because everyone is collectively freaking out over how the not-so-great the updated art style for Guardian Heroes looks, while buried in Sega's official blog, there's a casual comment stating that users can just switch the bizarre looking filter off. Maybe--just maybe--they should have mentioned that first!

"Keep in mind, the screens out now have a filter applied that can be turned off," said a company spokesperson, amidst the yelling. "We are preparing a blog on this with more info, so stay tuned."

The updated Guardian Heroes has been fitted into a widsecreen format, sports online co-op and features several new modes, including Time Attack Mode, Arcade Mode, and Arrange Mode.

Guardian Heroes for XBLA's currently penned in for the fall.    
Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4127 posts) -

The original Guardian heroes (pictured above) sported some gorgeous Treasure sprites.
There are few Treasure games more revered than Guardian Heroes for the Saturn, a beat 'em up with some seriously rad sprite graphics. Sega announced today a remixed version is coming exclusively to Xbox Live Arcade later this year.

I say that because everyone is collectively freaking out over how the not-so-great the updated art style for Guardian Heroes looks, while buried in Sega's official blog, there's a casual comment stating that users can just switch the bizarre looking filter off. Maybe--just maybe--they should have mentioned that first!

"Keep in mind, the screens out now have a filter applied that can be turned off," said a company spokesperson, amidst the yelling. "We are preparing a blog on this with more info, so stay tuned."

The updated Guardian Heroes has been fitted into a widsecreen format, sports online co-op and features several new modes, including Time Attack Mode, Arcade Mode, and Arrange Mode.

Guardian Heroes for XBLA's currently penned in for the fall.    
Staff
#2 Edited by abdo (1037 posts) -

I wish it would come to PSN as well.

Never played it, but it sounds pretty cool.
#3 Posted by TimmyChaw (114 posts) -

Awesome...

#4 Posted by Ghost407 (166 posts) -

I think I want this!

#5 Posted by Vexed (313 posts) -

Oh my god it's actually happening... 

#6 Edited by Swabbleflange (58 posts) -

Apparently it's also listed as PSN on SEGA's site, just absent from the press release.

Edit: Now it isn't.

#7 Posted by Daveyo520 (6684 posts) -

I knew people who were obsessed with this game.

#8 Posted by DHunter329 (86 posts) -

Fuck yes finally.

#9 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

One of the gems in my collection. Between busting out the 3DO for some StarCon2 Super Melee, or the NeoGeo for Samurai Spirits 2 it has to be in the top 5 games requested by friends when they come over.

#10 Posted by Korne (625 posts) -

I want to see a Vanillaware art style with gameplay along the line of Guardian Heroes. Muramasa was awesome, but not like this.

#11 Posted by MisterMouse (3550 posts) -

wow those really dont look great...

#12 Posted by Milkman (16672 posts) -

That new art style looks shockingly awful.

#13 Posted by LadyShayne (131 posts) -

Usually it's easy to say that the die-hard fans of a series are being irrational over a property they care about. This time however, I completely understand. I'm just trying to figure out who would want to turn the filter on in the first place.

#14 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

Cool, I've always wanted to play this.

#15 Posted by Leviticus128 (217 posts) -

Holy Shit, A downloadable game for XBLA that isn't aiming for a 'summer' launch? 

#16 Posted by Phished0ne (2497 posts) -

this needs to come to psn

seriously..

it does

right now

RIGHT NOW
#17 Posted by ProfessorEss (7323 posts) -

The filter looks pretty bad, but I'd be curious to see it in motion.

#18 Posted by junglistgamer (65 posts) -

Wow - this is great news! I'm a huge Guardian Heroes fan, one of my favourite games of all time, really glad to see it get a re-release. Go Treasure!

#19 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

Didnt play the original but this seems rather cool.

#20 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

One of the best examples of what the Saturn was designed to do.  Unfortunately 3D was where the industry was headed and that was something the Saturn was not designed to do well.

One less reason to keep my Saturn handy, but until they get around to a Panzer Dragoon HD collection I'll still keep it for those games.

I imported this game when it came out in Japan, then bought it again when it came to the US, it's that good.

#21 Posted by Enigma777 (6071 posts) -

Sweet mother of mercy, who the fuck did they get to draw those sprites? A bunch of 3rd graders? 

Ugh... Fuck you Sega! 
#22 Edited by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

Curious why it isn't released to the PSN. I don't mind, since I only play on the 360, but still curious.

Edit:
And as usual people on the internet are never happy about anything. :)

#23 Posted by DazzHardy (710 posts) -

This is a must purchase. Guardian Heroes and Burning Rangers are why my Saturn is still not boxed up. So Sega, if you put out Burning Rangers as well, that's more money for you.

#24 Posted by Piranesi (452 posts) -

There's only one Saturn game worth playing - we all know this isn't it.

Fighters Megamix HD is 15 years overdue!

#25 Posted by BooDoug187 (344 posts) -

It's like Sega sat back and said "people liked the art style of Valkyria Chronicles... and people really want a Guardian Heroes re-release... LETS PUT THE TWO TOGETHER!!!" 

#26 Posted by TigerDX (339 posts) -

Dude, Guardian Heroes is one of the best brawlers I can think of. Satisfying combat, RPG style levelling up, multiple paths through the story each with totally different endings, and a crazy multiplayer mode that allowed you to be any character you had fought in the campaign.

I didn't have a multitap, so I couldn't play with 5 friends, but I'm hoping the multiplayer arena mode will make it over in its entirety. Then online will solve the multitap issue.

This was the best/worst random select game. Unbalanced as hell, but fun all the same.
#27 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Was somebody just playing with the Photoshop filters?

#28 Posted by Karkarov (3071 posts) -

The new art style looks lazy sure and needed to be better done.  However it still looks better than 640x480 pixel graphics upscaled to 1080p will.

#29 Posted by Zaxex (583 posts) -

Kind of like the 11th costume colour in Super Street Fighter 4, but worse. You only choose the stupid-looking "sketched" filter if you're actively trying to be a dick.

I just played through Altered Beast and Shinobi and thought they looked alright. I usually prefer them to re-drawn art (SSF2THDR) let alone lazy; terrible-looking filters.
#30 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

I have never heard of this game.

#31 Posted by Battletoad (130 posts) -

I have been wanting this for years and this looks great. I love the orginal art, and can't wait to see what the orginal sprites look like with rich HD color. This is the best of both worlds for GH fans. I only hope you can have a "skip all" option for the text windows. Some of those things go on way too long, even when you try to go through them as quick as the game allows.

In a perfect world this would sell well enough to get a true sequel, but I am really happy we are at least getting this. Oh, and SEGA, if you are getting into the habit of rereleasing old Saturn classics, Panzer Trilogy HD would sure be nice, whether XBLA or on disc...in a world  full of pointless overpriced "Collector's Editions" a steelbook PD Trilogy HD stuffed with art and music CDs would definitely demand my 70-80 bucks!  Just let me sell my virtually mint complete PDS on Ebay first, please.

#32 Posted by Omega_X (24 posts) -
@Enigma777:  IT was Treasure back in 1995. Its not bad, just different. Plenty of games these days don't have an art style at all.
#33 Posted by Enigma777 (6071 posts) -
@Omega_X: No, it's just bad. I'd rather have the untouched original sprites over this crap
#34 Edited by Battletoad (130 posts) -

I don't see the problem. If you want the the original sprites in all their pixelated glory, with the added benefit of HD, this rerelease has it. If you want the smoother looking redone look, you can have it too.

If you want the exact same game without HD, and don't own a working Saturn, SSF Emulation on PC is somewhere around 98% of a functioning Saturn, and accepts original Saturn discs to keep everything legal. It would probably cost 50-60 dollars on Ebay for a nice complete copy, but if someone is such a purist that having the same untouched art in a higher resolution is a nagative, then the extra 35-45 bucks shouldn't matter much.

Or if you simply connect via Composite Cables, this new version would do the same thing. Everyone wins, except people that like to complain about everything.

#35 Posted by Wabashy (75 posts) -

man i loved it on the saturn, havent played it in years. CANT. WAIT.

#36 Posted by Chaser324 (6429 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" Was somebody just playing with the Photoshop filters? "
"Hey intern, make these sprites bigger, and uh...put some filters on them. I need this done in 15 minutes."
#37 Posted by lokey013 (109 posts) -

Instead of the filter they should have just done a better port of the sprites....still.....think I might nab this =P

#38 Posted by PrnceOfPwng (28 posts) -

So glad this is coming, one of the few saturn games i missed when it came out. I'm down for more HD remakes as long as they give us the option to switch back to the original sprites...

#39 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Chaser324 said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" Was somebody just playing with the Photoshop filters? "
"Hey intern, make these sprites bigger, and uh...put some filters on them. I need this done in 15 minutes." "
Is that all it takes to be a game designer? Then I'd like to announce my HD remake of Sonic CD!

#40 Posted by Chaser324 (6429 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: 
Slap "HD" somewhere on the title screen and ship it.
#41 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Chaser324:

#42 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

I don't know why anyone would even put that filter in.

#43 Edited by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

The new style looks like they infused it with Rakugaki Showtime or something. Just the scribbly look of it.

Dang it, all these Treasure games coming out on XBLA makes me wish I had a 360.

#44 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2379 posts) -

Alright that change is horrible. With original graphics I can't wait to play though! Hope they left in 6 player mode.

#45 Posted by Generiko (445 posts) -
@Xpgamer7:

It looks better in motion,tbqh and there is 12 player multiplayer. :O

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/guardianheroeshd/video/6312407/guardian-heroes-hd--daily-demo
#46 Posted by Undeadpool (4924 posts) -

I played this game college! It's been awhile, but I seem to remember:

A) It was AWESOME and
B) There were like 100 endings, most of which were REALLY bad (by which I mean bad stuff happened, not the endings themselves were bad).
#47 Posted by usedtype (97 posts) -

I wonder if this version will get rid of the horrendous slow-down that appears in the Saturn version.  It's a testament to the awesomeness of this game that even with the slow-down it was incredibly fun to play.

#48 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2495 posts) -

yay, now I don't have to get a $90 copy of it off of ebay... maybe the price of the originals will go down too, I could always use some more games for my Saturn collection.

okay sega, now just release Nights: into Dreams and Panzer Dragoon Saga on XBLA and I'll be happy, lol

#49 Posted by sizone (6 posts) -

Silhouette Mirage was better.
#50 Posted by Jeust (10552 posts) -

*Drools over the prospect of playing that game on Xbox Live...*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.