Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guardians of Middle-earth

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 04, 2012

Guardians of Middle-earth is an action real-time strategy video game based around The Lord of the Rings franchise.

So, is anyone looking forward to this?

• 55 results
    DanTheGamer32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DanTheGamer32

It doesn't look all that to me, but then again I've never played this sort of game before. Fans of this genre, are you gonna be getting this?

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By dillonwerner

NO

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Sackmanjones

Nope. Nobody on this planet is looking forward to this game. It will sell zero copies.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By ToxicFruit

Not really. Its interesting that its a MOBA for consoles but this genre is getting really crowded and this one just looks bland and uninteresting

DanTheGamer32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By DanTheGamer32

@Tfruit: exactly what I thought :/

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By morningstar

Lol, no..

galloughs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By galloughs

If it was on steam, I'd pick it up for sure. But if literally nothing released this year has been enough to get me to turn on my PS3 instead of my PC when it's time to play a game, I don't think this one'll be it either.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Sorta? I love LotR and I'd be up for a moba game but I dunno...I have a feeling even if this is a great product its not gonna do well. I hope I'm wrong.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Morrow

I was pretty interested when I saw it on Amazon, but I'm not familiar with the gameplay... I only play on consoles, and this seems to be the first attempt at a MOBA game on a console.

Cathadan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Cathadan

As someone who has been constantly playing League of Legends for the past two years, I'm somewhat interested. There's definitely room for another MOBA, especially on consoles. Unfortunately, I doubt that it can compete with LoL or Dota 2 as long as it maintains a $30 price tag, and I'll probably just keep playing the game I'm familiar with until I can try it with no commitment. In a genre where F2P is king, they at least need to get a free demo out there.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nadril

No. Why am I going to pay $30 for a console dotalike when I have the superior Dota 2 for free?

Honestly I've played other games in this genre (league of legends and smite) but they are just god-awfully boring. SMITE was fun to pubstomp a bit but got old really quick. Same for LoL.

Really I see any new game in this genre having a hard time breaking out. Maybe this can do it because its for console, I dunno. But in general you're competing against a casual game with a large fanbase and a good, hardcore game with a large fanbase. Both are very well established at this point. There isn't much 'room' right now for another one of these games, especially one you gotta pay $30 for.

I mean look at HoN. that shit got a headstart but is pretty much all but dead now. (Although S2 had a good hand in killing that game)

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hungry

@Nadril:

Basically yeah I agree with you entirely. The problem is that the genre is kind of lightning in a bottle right now. League of Legend caught it because they used the accessability bottle and Dota 2 just carefully transferred it from the WC3 Dota bottle it was already in. HoN caught it inside of their beta bottle but then they used a Sihouette Hammer to break the bottle which let the lightning out. We're going to go through a phase where a ton of studios try and mimic it and cash grab for it as much as possible before we see it evolving at all.

By the way I love your word choice, even if it was subconscious. Calling League of Legends the casual game while Dota is the hardcore good game. I like to think of Dota and League of Legends and their playerbase as siblings, and Dota players give noogies to the young guy for their spunk. In the end it is harmless ribbing and not meant to be taken seriously.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By BisonHero

Nooooooooooooooooope. This game just reeks of the Saturday-morning-cartoonification of Tolkien's work (though it's far from the first game to do that). Each character in LotR is not an awesome little action figure to go into battle with. Gandalf isn't just whipping out magic shields and magic blasts at the drop of a hat. Frodo and Gollum are pretty effing incompetent at any sort of combat. Boromir's horn doesn't give +5 defense for 20 seconds, or whatever the fuck.

Just...FUCK.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Sackmanjones

Oh god this is out Tuesday? Wow there has been nothing about this game, and on top of that its coming out the same day as Far Cry 3 which is getting some amazing critical reception. This game is DOA. Poor Monolith. You guys made some amazing games.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thebunnyhunter

Wait a second here.....i thought this was gonna be free to play, did i just imagine that? Cause if i did imagine it i no loner have interest trying it out on ps3. Besides all my Moba love goes to LOL.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nadril

@Hungry: The wording was definitely intentional. LoL is the more casual game, and there is nothing wrong with that. And of course, I don't really care what people play (although fuck Riot).

And yeah, really LoL got in at a time where there wasn't any other alternative to Dota other than playing it in the outdated WC3 client. It got quite the headstart.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By JasonR86

Oh, it's a MOBA? No, I'm not interested.

cruxking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cruxking

i cant see it doing very well. And im pretty sure the LOTR IP could be put to better use, because you can explain it all fucking day long until you're blue in the face. But no matter what the circumstances or the situation Gollum could never beat Gandalf. ever. fucking never. And any game that endorses this madness is doomed to fail.

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Nope. Not interested in it since I've already got Smite. :P (Or League of Legends, or Dota 2 if I ever get bored with Smite)

Cathadan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Cathadan

@Nadril said:

@Hungry: The wording was definitely intentional. LoL is the more casual game, and there is nothing wrong with that. And of course, I don't really care what people play (although fuck Riot).

And yeah, really LoL got in at a time where there wasn't any other alternative to Dota other than playing it in the outdated WC3 client. It got quite the headstart.

Hey now! What did Riot ever do to you?

On another note, HoN and League were in beta at the same time, and HoN was waaaaaaay better in that state than League was. To be honest, the level of polish in beta HoN would still probably compare favorably to the current version of League, but F2P is a powerful force.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nadril

@psoplayer: Pendragon shut down the dota-allstars forums for years and advertised his game on it. Morello is just a dick (saw a screenshot of him calling someone retarded on their own forums). Riot constantly spouts out stupid things like "anti fun" or "burden of knowledge" which some of their fanbase blindly agrees with.

But really its just because fuck Pendragon and fuck Morello. Also fuck their rumored rules about being the only dotalike game allowed at tournaments.

Also HoN was good in beta, but quickly went down the tube. It didn't help that S2 are pretty awful, Maliken is a racist asshole and diva (iirc) has 0 concept of game design or balance. Also they bred their community to be the worst of all the dotalikes, which is quite a feat.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hungry

@psoplayer:

Riot has done a lot of scummy stuff before. Like trying to force certain tournament organizations to only support League of Legends and not have a fair shake for other Dota-style games. There were also rumors about them trying to convince competitive teams to drop their HoN/Dota 2 teams and only play League of Legends but if I recall there was no conclusive evidence. Let's not even talk about the bullshit they tried to pull with the Defense of the Ancients trademark so that Valve could not have it when IceFrog and Eul (the two dude who worked on WC3 Dota who work at Valve now) are two of the most notable guys who made Dota into what everyone knows it as. I just want to mention for the sake of fairness that IceFrog has a legion of private beta testers and even some people who pitch in on design to help him, so it isn't solely his work though. However, I don't think any of those guys work at Riot.

There is also the problem of Pendragon, who is the largest cunt in all of video games. He used to run dota-allstars which was the largest Dota community website. As League of Legends was coming around Pendragon was telling everyone in the community about it, which is fine. Afterwards he decided he was closing down dota-allstars and was going to give the archives over to the community so they could keep it alive. Instead of doing that he completely shut down the archives and he put up an ad for League of Legends in its stead.

Three years later Pendragon has recently released the archives for dota-allstars, and there is one guy who came out of the woodwork saying he is going to scan the archives for a couple of heroes he suggested for Dota that are near carbon-copies in League of Legends. While that guy could just be lying a lot of people would believe that Pendragon doctored the archives considering what that guy has done to the community.

What a fucking asshole.

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By Yodasdarkside

I will try the demo for sure, I'm holding out hope that this will be a more accessible MOBA for me, with a console-based community also probably not overly-familiar with this genre.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Been following this for a while, looks fun. I'll try the demo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DillonWerner said:

NO

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jack268

I thought at first it'd suck hard being a MOBA/ARTS on a console but after seeing some gameplay videos it actually looks neat. If there's a demo I'll definitely try it. A bit sad about the limited hero pool though, seems there'll be maybe 5 characters people will actually want to play (Sauron, Gollum, Gandalf, etc.).

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hunkulese

@Nadril said:

It's always cute when someone tries to call LoL casual compared to Dota. Getting rid of annoying dumb mechanics doesn't make a game more casual.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Budwyzer

Ok ok, let's not turn this into a "My dota/moba game is better than yours" thread. 

It's a "Are you interested thread", and yes I am interested.  A moba game I can play with a controller, let's not bring up the couch because every video card comes with HDMI built in. 

And like others here, FUCK riot. I wont even capitalize the first letter in the name.....  But more so, fuck the community that plays on there. LoL has absolutely the worst community that plays on there. The only way I can find that game enjoyable to play is by trolling because the people on their freak out so hard over any little mistake. 

Hopefully a different game on a different console will change that.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nadril

@Hunkulese said:

@Nadril said:

It's always cute when someone tries to call LoL casual compared to Dota. Getting rid of annoying dumb mechanics doesn't make a game more casual.

I don't want to get into another one of these silly arguments, but calling them "annoying dumb mechanics" really shows how influenced you have been on Riot's "anti-fun" spiel. The mechanics in dota are absolutely important and promote diversity. I know a lot of league players focus on denying, but really denying is the smallest difference between the two games. There is so much more that separates the two games, and it's not just "mechanics".

Hero diversity alone makes Dota much more complex than League. League does not have heroes like Visage, Invoker, Lone Druid, Meepo, or Tinker. League does not have more complex items with a number of activated abilities. League does not have creep stacking or creep pulling. There are a number of different mechanics that league does not have. League does not have the diversity of laning options that dota has. League does not have the diversity of strategies that dota has. Even the ban/pick phase of a CM game in dota is more complex due to the way you ban > pick > ban > pick. League does not have the differences between sides (radiant/dire) and lanes. League does not have the multitude of juke spots (trees) and instead promotes bushes you hide in.

I mean, play the game if you like it better but it's a more casual game. It's an easier game. If you like that, more power to you, but League cannot match the complexity of dota and that makes it a more "casual' experience.

edit: (And this is all I'll say on this. Sorry for any derailment)

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ravelle

@Budwyzer said:

Ok ok, let's not turn this into a "My dota/moba game is better than yours" thread. It's a "Are you interested thread", and yes I am interested. A moba game I can play with a controller, let's not bring up the couch because every video card comes with HDMI built in. And like others here, FUCK riot. I wont even capitalize the first letter in the name..... But more so, fuck the community that plays on there. LoL has absolutely the worst community that plays on there. The only way I can find that game enjoyable to play is by trolling because the people on their freak out so hard over any little mistake. Hopefully a different game on a different console will change that.

Gather a bunch of friends and every MOBA can be fun, if you're interested in the game itself that is.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hunkulese

@Nadril: I like how you just throw out a bunch of stuff, make false assumptions about how I formulate my personal opinions then say that's all you're going to say. We could go back and forth for days about the differences about the two games but it's not going to prove that one game is casual and the other isn't, it's going to prove that the games are different and they are. I put hundreds of hours into DOTA and I question if you've ever actually played LoL at a high level. There is just as much going on in a game of LoL as there is in a game of Dota.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Budwyzer

Ok, having looked into this game a bit, I see that there are some characters to be announced when The Hobbit movie releases.  
    There had better be Tom Bombadill in the damn game!  Or would he just be OP? 

And I'm going to put an end to this "my game is more complex" crap right now. Either game you choose, you're still faced off against other human players, thusly no matter the complexity of the game it is ultimately the difference in skill and knowledge that wins.  Unless you're facing bots, but then, what's the point?

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hungry

@Budwyzer:

As much as I want to bite the bait and have a nice, long discussion with someone who actually knows something about both games, you have a completely valid point. I am not going to get into the LoL versus Dota debate, at least not here.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nadril

I won't derail anything further. I don't really care what people play enough to argue about it. If anyone does want to talk about it though just PM me or something.

Back on the topic, is there anything this game is doing differently from any other dotalike on the market currently? Other than it being on console, that is. I still can't really see a reason to play it.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Syndrom

just played a game where we lost and the other dudes didn't even touch our basetower :s

or i missed something.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By Addfwyn

Not surprised to see the moba wars thing come up, people tend to be fiercely defensive of their games, for reasons I'm never quite sure of.

I've played the demo for a while, and as a longterm moba player (competitive in one)...yeah no. No real itemization to speak of, so champions are baiscally always almost evenly matched. We even had several of their rax down and it took another good 15 minutes to close out the game. Some of the core ideas seem alright, but they cut out basically a lot of what makes moba games moba.

If I want a console moba, Awesomenauts is way better than this. Though I'll be sticking to LoL for the time being.

Avatar image for carnifexseverian
    carnifexseverian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By carnifexseverian

I might pick it up. I don't have a PC at all, and it's only $15 to try out a MOBA. Makes sense to me why this game was made. MOBA's are huge, and there are zero 3D MOBA's on consoles. Sounds like a good entry level option into a genre for a low price, why not? The LotR stuff seems like window dressing to gain some interest. Would have been awesome if it was a Song of Ice & Fire MOBA though. I totally would buy that, no questions asked.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By floodiastus

@Nadril: Complexity does not have that much to do with if a game is casual or not, especially not if it is a multiplayer game. Look at Quake.

I think riot did the right choice to remove denying and gold loss on death, it promotes a much more intense experience as people are not as afraid to engage in battles. Which makes the game more adrenaline fueled, especially since the HP and MANA reg is so much greater and promotes skill/ability-use much more than dota does.

However, as for personal preference I currently am playing dota 2 because the artstyle and heroes/items are more diverse. I have played about 3k games of HoN, 3k games of LoL and 3k games of dota/dota 2 so I would consider myself somewhat of a veteran in all of those games.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#39  Edited By Soap

2012 YEAR OF THE SHITTY MOBA CLONES.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Nadril

@Syndrom said:

just played a game where we lost and the other dudes didn't even touch our basetower :s

or i missed something.

Surrender option or something? Maybe there is a 4/5 surrender or something dumb like that.

:

@Nadril: Complexity does not have that much to do with if a game is casual or not, especially not if it is a multiplayer game. Look at Quake.
    I think riot did the right choice to remove denying and gold loss on death, it promotes a much more intense experience as people are not as afraid to engage in battles. Which makes the game more adrenaline fueled, especially since the HP and MANA reg is so much greater and promotes skill/ability-use much more than dota does.

Quake is actually quite a complex game though (Q3 especially) when it comes to all of the weapon spawns, armor spawns, ect. Not to mention the whole FPS thing adds a level of skill that is beyond anything else. It doesn't need to be super complex to be really difficult. I wasn't saying that LoL isn't complex at all anyways, more I was just saying dota was more complex. I didn't even mean to start an argument about the entire thing because I thought everyone sort of universally agreed on that (even League fans).

I won't really bother arguing anything else because its all opinion anyways. Really guys, if you wanna argue it with me PM me, I don't want to keep shitting up this thread. (but I might as well reply if I'm replying to something else too).

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By Addfwyn

@carnifexseverian: Honestly, I'd suggest Awesomenauts over it. It's incredibly casual and not exactly the same isometric format, but it's probably an overall better game than this is.

HelicopterSpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HelicopterSpy

This game seems alright, I guess. I dunno whether the cooldowns are unbalanced or I'm just bad, but I can't seem to do any damage until late game. The cones that are used for targeting make it almost impossible to do burst damage on a specific dude, but that might just take some getting used to. There's no item shop, so builds aren't really a thing, you just level up your skills. That's not accessibility, that's straight up dumbing it down. I get that it'd be hard to implement on a controller in the heat of battle, but that takes out a huge component of these games.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Syndrom

@Nadril said:

@Syndrom said:

or i missed something.

Surrender option or something? Maybe there is a 4/5 surrender or something dumb like that.

I figured out what it is, when you start out you can only play in the mode where matches are limited to twenty minutes, so because we were behind on stuff we automatically lost when the timer ran out. Very stupid system.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Nadril said:

No. Why am I going to pay $30 for a console dotalike when I have the superior Dota 2 for free?

Honestly I've played other games in this genre (league of legends and smite) but they are just god-awfully boring. SMITE was fun to pubstomp a bit but got old really quick. Same for LoL.

Really I see any new game in this genre having a hard time breaking out. Maybe this can do it because its for console, I dunno. But in general you're competing against a casual game with a large fanbase and a good, hardcore game with a large fanbase. Both are very well established at this point. There isn't much 'room' right now for another one of these games, especially one you gotta pay $30 for.

I mean look at HoN. that shit got a headstart but is pretty much all but dead now. (Although S2 had a good hand in killing that game)

I wouldn't really call HoN 'all but dead'; it's usually around 50k-70k people online during peak hours. Though you're totally right in that S2 led them from first to third in the genre when they had the leg-up.
    Avatar image for carnifexseverian
    carnifexseverian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By carnifexseverian

@Addfwyn: I bought Awesomenaughts when it came out. I liked it quite a bit but the gameplay got stale for me. This feels a bit different, and without any sort of PC its my only other option. If I could I would certainly try out Dota 2 over this for free, but at $15, this isn't much of a risk to try out.

@HelicopterSpy said:

There's no item shop, so builds aren't really a thing, you just level up your skills. That's not accessibility, that's straight up dumbing it down. I get that it'd be hard to implement on a controller in the heat of battle, but that takes out a huge component of these games.

This is my biggest criticism so far. Like I said I've really only played Awesomenaughts, but even there you could make unique builds as the game went on. This just seems to be a bunch of incremental level ups. Although, there seem to be a bunch of loadout options with gems & relics & such. I'm hoping this is where the ability to create custom builds & the depth comes into play. Its too early to tell for me so far, I haven't had much time to play so far.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Syndrom

this game feels really unbalanced for some reason. Also with no way of communicating with people except mics, it's not that fun to play. Also finding games is a bich and lag is a real issue.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Nadril

@Syndrom: Wait, really? What the fuck lol. That sounds horrible.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Syndrom

yeah you have to be rank 2 before you can play in non-time limit games. It really is kinda stupid.

My review won't be positive that's for sure.

Awesomenauts works on consoles cause it gives a unique twist to the moba formula, this is just a straight copy and a bad one at that. For shame monolith

LilithGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LilithGamer

Well I pledged 100$ to Pier Solar so I can't wait to play this game! Who else is looking forward to this game?

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Budwyzer

Played the Demo last night, and the only real gripe I have so far is that the spells are on the symbol buttons and the right wheel is used to aim....  The spells need to be on the triggers and bumpers, because holding a spell and aiming on the same thumb just doesn't work.     There are items in the game. Not necessarily bought in a shop during play, but somehow they're in there. I know I used a potion during that tutorial, which grants Gandalf to use when you finish it by the way.    And upgrading barracks and towers is something I've always liked in MOBA games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.