Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

50 Minutes of Pure Guild Wars 2 Gameplay

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

Right now, this is probably one of the best pieces of footage for Guild Wars 2 on the internet.  I didn't see it posted up anywhere else, and it really needs to be seen.  This shows off the Human Ranger and Charr Elementalist classes.  The video is captured directly from a demo computer with no commentary to ruin the experience.  This is what it will be like when you are playing.  The sound is incredible, but moreover, the gameplay looks absolutely solid!  SO PSYCHED for this game!  What do you guys think? 

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By keyhunter

Fuck-fuck-fuck-fuck-yes!!!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By EpicSteve

It looks fucking fantastic!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jakob187
    @EpicSteve said:

" I'm assuming it's free like the original game? It looks fucking fantastic! "

Yes.  No subscription fee.  Though this video was shot back in December, there are some other details that came out.  Whether they've also been mentioned or not anywhere on the site, I'm not sure. 
    • No subscription fee - just buy the game and play until your heart is content.
    • World is open and persistent, but there will still be some instanced areas.  Areas can include dungeons and events, as well as story-related missions for your personal character story and some towns.
    • Flight capabilities are not planned for the game at this moment, which would mean no flying mounts or flying skills for players.
    • No main healing class, as all classes have support mechanics to offer healing capabilities.
    • Characters will have ten skill slots, and there will be fewer abilities than the previous game.  Five of the skill slots will be based on your weapon and can only be changed when you change your weapon (and weapons can be race and profession specific, giving gear a far more important purpose in Guild Wars 2 than other games).  The other five skill slots are based on profession, and two of the slots will always be reserved for one healing skill and one elite skill.
    • Underwater areas will be in the game, assumingly much like Vash'jir in WoW: Cataclysm
    • Crafting will be in the game, although it's unknown how it'll work.
    • There will be a day/night cycle.
    • If you have weapons or items obtained through the Hall of Monuments in Guild Wars: Eye of the North, they will carry over into Guild Wars 2.  Along with that, character names in Guild Wars 1 will be reserved for you in Guild Wars 2, but it is not known if you need Eye of the North for that to happen.

There's a ton of other shit, but the one thing they haven't talked about still is PvP, which is arguably the best thing about the first Guild Wars.  I'm super curious about that, and moreover, I'm curious to see if they will still have the "once you have a max level character, you can make another max level that's only good for PvP" setup.
    SpaceDandie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By SpaceDandie

Really enjoyed the first Guild Wars, definitely going to pick this up!

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By zyn

I hope it comes out this year!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187
    @zyn said:
    " I hope it comes out this year! "
    We can only pray.
    Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By killroycantkill

Considering I put over 1000 hours into the first game this is an obvious buy for me. But man, the gameplay looks so fun, and if the story quests are as fun as the rock hands tornado thing then I'm all up for it.

Lotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Lotus

¡No puedo esperar mas amigos!, awesome demo; i still play Prophecies, cant wait for this.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FritzDude

Reminds me of Divinity 2. An underrated singleplayer ARPG. Cannot wait for this game to get released. Guild Wars is amazing.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I should totally get Eye of the North so I can transfer over all my bull shit from my original, expansionless character. 

ALSO I WANT TO BE A FUCKING CHARR. COME OUT NOW PLEASE.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By WickedCestus

Wow. You guys seem super excited. Personally, I have absolutely no interest and found the video way too boring to watch. I hope you guys have fun though!

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I don't think it's coming out this year....anyone got any info on the release?

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Demyx

Never played the first. Only recently got into MMO's, but I am way excited for this. THANK you for posting this.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Best game of 2011.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Malakhii

Damn I think I am actually going to sit and watch this whole thing, everything I've seen/read about the game has only made me more excited about it. Wish I had been able to make it to NYCC when they were showing it. 

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Karkarov

uh the footage sort of sucks what with it being camcorder stuff.  Also I find the idea that the chick is a ranger (animal companion, warden of the woods, loves nature) yet due to background choices is a noble who lived a life of luxury who has never been out of the city much less been trained in any real fighting just plain funny.

I would be surprised if it doesn't come out in 2011.  The iron is getting colder by the day with Cataclysm, soon to be released DCU Online, RIFT in march, and SW:ToR being somewhere in the first quarter.  I never was interested in GW 1 but this one does seem vastly improved though.  We will see.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I put 4000 hours into the original GW, I don't want to do that again -.- 
    I might actually pass.
    SmallCaveGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmallCaveGames

Looks amazing.   I kind of wish there was commentary though.   The world/environments almost look TOO huge - I was getting lost. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jakob187
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " I don't think it's coming out this year....anyone got any info on the release? "
    Last I remember hearing, they were saying that they were aiming for June...but I'll almost guarantee that they'll push it back into 2012.  That's fine by me, so long as they are making the most of that time. 

@Karkarov: Camcorder stuff?  The video was directly captured from the computer as far as I remember.  Maybe I need to watch it again.  Also, a noblewoman could absolutely be a hunter, but it would be hunting out of sport rather than necessity.  A major conflict like what is happening in Guild Wars 2 could easily turn the tides of that from sport to necessity.  As for the first GW1, it was heavily instanced (meaning the world itself was an instance that only your party would be in).  However, the PvP was goddamn amazing and put all other PvP in MMOs to shame.  I've heard a lot of talk about Rift, and my friend has been in the betas for a while on it.  From the way he has spoke highly about the customer support team as well as how quick their turnaround on patches and bug fixes is, I wouldn't be surprised if that could build up enough steam to be a strong contender in the MMO space.  Old Republic, on the other hand...I think that game has lost a massive amount of steam.  Between the failures of Warhammer Online, as well as the general lack of gameplay demo footage being shown at major outlets, it's something that seems like it'll be a "flavor of the month" like Star Trek Online or Champions Online and nothing more.

@FritzDude: Never played Divinity II, but I also never heard good things about it.  Might need to check it out whenever that retooled version comes out. 
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Karkarov
    @jakob187: 
    SW:ToR has nothing to do with Warhammer Online besides the fact that some of the Warhammer team are helping make the pvp content of the game.  It is also easily the most expensive video game ever made (no really) and I do not see EA or Bioware releasing a game they have no faith in.  This isn't Mythic in charge this time, it is the company that redefined what a "WRPG" was, created the game most outlets consider the 2010 Game of the Year, and hasn't made a bad game in so long that I either forgot what it was or they have just never made a bad game to begin with.  There also have been demo machines for this game more than capable of showing equal length and content to what your linked video shows for GW2, Bioware just won't let you film it or post it on the internet.  Call me crazy but I am willing to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt on this one their track record speaks for itself.  Mythic's track record consisted of one game that was only notable for it's end game pvp.

Meanwhile that is definite camcorder footage.  I have spent a large part of the last year and a half of my life doing video captures and editing, once you get experienced with it you can spot the the differences very easily.  For example check the text or any time something that is very bright is placed beside something dark.  The edges will get blurry and take on a slight "glow" effect.  Dead give away that it was a camcorder.  Well either that or the capture card they used REALLY sucked.  Of course the guys hand going in front of the vid at point is a pretty strong giveaway too though ;p.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'm really excited about the game, I loved the original game and the lore backstory is just amazing. 
    GW2 seems to be an improvement in every single way and I'm happy they haven't just tried to make it a clone of WoW and are instead trying to fix a lot of the problems that plague most MMO's. 

Looks really fantastic.. but I'll be surprised if it makes it this year.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Meowshi

Star Trek was never flavor on the month.  It hopped out the gate a steaming pile of eventual failure.   
    And you're crazy if you don't think that a game made by Bioware won't do amazing numbers.  Crazy.

Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Riddell

Easily my most anticipated game like...ever. 

We'll need to get a GB guild set up pronto.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheHT

Having played about 2 hours of the original and not liking the feel or look of it, for some reason I want this game SO BAD.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @jakob187: Honestly, I hope it gets pushed back another year, it would make the game better and not compete with other MMOs that I plan to play like Rift and maybe even SWTOR (but that game looks like crap right now)
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @TheMustacheHero: Well, it's going to be late 2011 at the absolute earliest.  SWTOR is meant to be coming out around September-ish and we have far more information on that, plus it's reportedly in a closed beta state.  We have no idea how far GW2 is along in development other than the fact these demo's they've had on display are apparently far from complete.  No word on a beta, half of the professions haven't been revealed and we still know very little about the gameplay mechanics, beyond the basics. 

And while I agree that TOR is looking very unimpressive.. I think they'll want to avoid releasing along side it.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Bollard

Yay, hooray for the cat on the shop stand :D

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Azteck

Man, that animation during the conversations felt really awkward. They kept moving like they were still speaking even after they became silent.

TermlessHalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By TermlessHalo

THANK YOU!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By CL60
    @jakob187: I don't see how Warhammer, and the game not having much demo footage means anything really. Especially Warhammer. The only thing in relation to Warhammer is a few people who worked on Warhammer are working on the PVP. Not much footage means nothing. The game isn't even in beta yet. (What they are doing isn't a beta, they are giving very small portions of the game to very few people).
    1upmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By 1upmuffin

I don't have time to watch 50 minutes of footage at the moment, but just skimming through it, wow, looks amazing. Definitely buying this one. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jakob187
    @Karkarov: I don't agree.  We'll leave it at that without dragging this out.  = D 

@Meowshi: I am not doubting the sales.  I'm doubting the longevity. 

@TheMustacheHero said:
    " @jakob187: Honestly, I hope it gets pushed back another year, it would make the game better and not compete with other MMOs that I plan to play like Rift and maybe even SWTOR (but that game looks like crap right now) "
    ...and there is my doubting of the longevity proven in the same thread...

@WinterSnowblind said:
    "And while I agree that TOR is looking very unimpressive.. I think they'll want to avoid releasing along side it. "
    ...and there's another... 

@CL60 said:
    "The game isn't even in beta yet. (What they are doing isn't a beta, they are giving very small portions of the game to very few people). "
    Funny.  Rift has been calling that same process a beta for a while now.
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zityz

wow! thanks for the upload jacob! I'm hyped for this game. I'm sure its coming out this year. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jakob187
    @zityz: I didn't upload it.  I found it.  Nonetheless, enjoy!  = D
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By CL60
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Karkarov: I don't agree.  We'll leave it at that without dragging this out.  = D 

@Meowshi: I am not doubting the sales.  I'm doubting the longevity. 

@TheMustacheHero said:
    " @jakob187: Honestly, I hope it gets pushed back another year, it would make the game better and not compete with other MMOs that I plan to play like Rift and maybe even SWTOR (but that game looks like crap right now) "
    ...and there is my doubting of the longevity proven in the same thread...

@WinterSnowblind said:
    "And while I agree that TOR is looking very unimpressive.. I think they'll want to avoid releasing along side it. "
    ...and there's another... 

@CL60 said:
    "The game isn't even in beta yet. (What they are doing isn't a beta, they are giving very small portions of the game to very few people). "
    Funny.  Rift has been calling that same process a beta for a while now. "
    How are people agreeing with you proving anything? I simply don't see how Guild Wars 2 looks any better than ToR. Nor do I see how ToR looks bad. It looks like a solid MMO.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanwho

I guess I can't see the difference between something like this and Aeon, and why one kinda floundered into obscurity but this is gonna stick it to WoW? I don't think Im equipped to enter this discussion, I just wonder what sets this game apart.

Avatar image for deactivated-608a5477560df
    deactivated-608a5477560df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

This is gonna be killer on my pc... :p

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.