Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Angry Joes review

• 74 results
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By warxsnake

I don't know what the policy regarding linking to out of site reviews is but hey check it out. How a quicklook/review should be done 
    I'm begining to like his channel a lot. Yes, youtubers ask people to subscribe to their channel all the time like Jeff said, at least in this case he's doing the best he can to cover the game. 

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I dislike men with moustaches.

Edit: Okay the Bunny part saved him for me.

Edit 2: I'm a fan, guy knows what he's about and he's enthusiastic, that means a lot!

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By falserelic

I've been along time subscriber to angry joe. I enjoy watching his vids to me there entertaining. I remember that one time where he got pissed off at Geoff Keighley. Because he was kinda being a dick when he was trying to interview him.

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By poisonmonkey

Watched it this morning - good review, very in depth.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CptBedlam

Yup, Angry Joe is pretty good. He can be a little awkward at times but he knows what he's talking about.

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Liber

I don't like Angry Joe but this review was really good.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By project343

I've never been able to get beyond his character. I understand--him being angry and loud is the whole point, but I still find it really unnerving. That said, he obviously knows his stuff, and he seems like a completely acceptable person out of character.

Plus, he rocks a fine mustache. I can totally respect that.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ExplodeMode

It's funny how much terrible filler gets cut out of an mmo once the monthly fee is gone.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thedj93

he seems pretty happy in this one

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By cornbredx

Ya, Joe is cool. Interesting how you can mention him on these boards now without an insane amount of disdain (which may come at some point still). He even posted on these forums once a long time ago and people treated him like shit for posting one of his videos here which he only did because he had a short piece on Jeff in it (it was for his Kane and Lynch 2 review).  
    He does have an account on giant bomb but I don't think he uses it a lot anymore. 

@ExplodeMode: Don't let his review fool you, it still has a lot of filler. The game just has a good amount of variety so you can do something else if you're bored. The lack of a real quest system actually brings forward more how much you are actually grinding to level. It's not awful but it's not always fun. There are other ways to level though (WvW if you can get into it for instance) so again variety is this games spice.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Jams

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I dislike men with moustaches.

WHAT??

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By renmckormack

Angry Video Game Nerd

Irate Gamer

Angry Joe

I am going to market myself as Accommodating Al the Reasonable Game Review Guy

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Angry Joe was caught shooting up heroin in a bathroom at a local Popeye's Chicken. 

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CptBedlam

@bartok said:

Angry Joe was caught shooting up heroin in a bathroom at a local Popeye's Chicken.

wat?

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Grissefar

Geoff Keighley deserves better. He doesn't have to put up with shit from a noisy youtube guy who expects VIP treatment when Geoff actually has an award show to organize.

smiteofhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By smiteofhand

His shtick doesn't do much for me but the density of information delivered really shows in comparison to the quick look. Watch his video and then go back to the QL immediately after and the difference is night and day. He has the benefit of editing, sure, but still. I love QL's and find GB hilarious, but this is a perfect example of when they phone in a lazy look at a game and put no effort into understanding it.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@Grissefar said:

Geoff Keighley deserves better. He doesn't have to put up with shit from a noisy youtube guy who expects VIP treatment when Geoff actually has an award show to organize.

I found it funny Joe's the one who asked "WHERES ALL THE AWARDS FOR BEST MMO?" and Geoff asked "Name me some MMO's" and Joe acted like it wasn't his job to name them. Uhm, hello? You're the one who said there should be an award for best MMO, so prove that good ones actually came out. What a stupid thing to say and get pissed about. Some of his other points were good, but this one stuck out the most and being stupid.

Angry Joe's personality in his videos has always annoyed me within just a few seconds. The more laid back approach Giantbomb takes is much better and they do it without a gimmick, even if their quicklooks are less informative.

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NakAttack

Can't stand that fucking guy.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheHumanDove

Why is he so angry?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Meh, I like Angry Joe and although I don't agree with his review (would've given it a lower score), it was pretty good.

The problem I have is with the overwhelming amount of fanaticism going on in the comments. It's fucking frightening in a lot of ways. Ya know, I'm fine with people liking games and whatnot (blah blah blah opinions and all that), but holy shit...

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Grissefar

@dcgc said:

@Grissefar said:

Geoff Keighley is an asshole and a stuck up. He's probably one of the worst people in the industry (also, GT is a horrible website and there were countless times when we could see that their reviews were pretty much being paid by the publisher (even platform VS videos of multiplatform videogames, where the feed of both screens were from one console only; how fair is that?; it's disgusting)). Angry Joe may not have been great on that video because Geoff knew that Angry Joe was going to burn him and he prepared himself for that, but Angry Joe had and still has a point. That award show is a fucking joke and I don't understand why people watch... oh that's right, it's where the trailers for new games are shown.

EDIT: Also he might still be one of few reviewers that use the full scale and not 7 and above.

Ugh, that's desperate, man. A little pathetic, you know. Ha ! Ha !

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By huntad

He's fine. No one's perfect and he has his own thing going for him.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@dcgc said:

also, GT is a horrible website and there were countless times when we could see that their reviews were pretty much being paid by the publisher

No Caption Provided
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cornbredx
    Just so you guys know Joe and Geoff already made amends. It's a silly thing to be arguing about now. 

@dcgc: He's regurgitating what Jeff said when asked what he thought about it at the time that that happened. Under the pretense of just some random guy on the internet is mad at Geoff Keighley (someone Jeff knows) he said basically word for word what that guy said in his first post. 

He'll probably argue you in circles about it, best to ignore.
    wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By wjb

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Grissefar said:

I found it funny Joe's the one who asked "WHERES ALL THE AWARDS FOR BEST MMO?" and Geoff asked "Name me some MMO's" and Joe acted like it wasn't his job to name them. Uhm, hello? You're the one who said there should be an award for best MMO, so prove that good ones actually came out. What a stupid thing to say and get pissed about. Some of his other points were good, but this one stuck out the most and being stupid.

Angry Joe's personality in his videos has always annoyed me within just a few seconds. The more laid back approach Giantbomb takes is much better and they do it without a gimmick, even if their quicklooks are less informative.

I think GB briefly commented on the situation in a intern office video somewhere...

Not the biggest fan of Geoff Keighley, but what did Joe expect? You send correspondence a week before (I'm assuming) the VGA's, and you expect a sit-down interview with one of the hardest working people this side of the industry, during one of the busiest weeks of his year? Even if Joe planned ahead, he's got to realize that he's small-time and not a legitimate outlet. Not to be all "you should be honored by his presence", but that's kind of how life is, right? Also, I don't think anyone will be thrilled to be interview by a guy with "Angry" in his name, is known for "ranting" and catering to the lowest common denominator (sorry), and will rip you apart in an immature fashion if things don't go well afterwards.

Why is everyone on YouTube so angry?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cornbredx
    @wjb: No. He was asked to come not the other way around. They knew what kinds of questions he would be asking and why he wanted to go as he made that clear, they told him he would get the interview.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CptBedlam

@dcgc said:

@Grissefar said:

Geoff Keighley is an asshole and a stuck up. He's probably one of the worst people in the industry (also, GT is a horrible website and there were countless times when we could see that their reviews were pretty much being paid by the publisher (even platform VS videos of multiplatform videogames, where the feed of both screens were from one console only; how fair is that?; it's disgusting)). Angry Joe may not have been great on that video because Geoff knew that Angry Joe was going to burn him and he prepared himself for that, but Angry Joe had and still has a point. That award show is a fucking joke and I don't understand why people watch... oh that's right, it's where the trailers for new games are shown.

EDIT: Also he might still be one of few reviewers that use the full scale and not 7 and above.

lol, yeah I'm sure he did that.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By falserelic

Now I'm reminded of the Duke Nukem Forever Review he did awhile back.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jesterroyal

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if you know this but this thread is actually about angry joe's review of guild wars (which ... is a little youtube spammy and not very in lines with the rules of the forums.) However, The rules also state you aren't allowed to flame or derail topics. Which looks to be going on. So until this thread (potentially) gets locked for youtube spam, I have this to say:

Angry Joe's review is pretty good. I'd like to see where he stands after the fervor dies down but thats almost exactly how I feel about this game. Ill be playing it for a long time and I like the breadth of content he provided in that review even though some of the information was not entirely correct. I think the incorrect nature of his review is from his overly wordy presentation in some cases. Not bad though.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By wjb

@CornBREDX said:

@wjb: No. He was asked to come not the other way around. They knew what kinds of questions he would be asking and why he wanted to go as he made that clear, they told him he would get the interview.

Fair enough.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FritzDude

Well, this thread turned out to be about something else fast.

I have followed & watched Joe since 2007 and for me he is a person I can relate to. Usually I can agree with his reviews, and what he says in them are well explained. Even if you agree with him or not, Joe can talk & express opinions very well, and this review is no exception.

largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By largo6661

His review videos are good but his interviews are bad, he's just really unprofessional like when he interviewed Seth Killian.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By beforet

I like Angry Joe, mostly because he's usually not actually angry. Just energetic. It's fun to watch most of the time, but the VGA video was pretty bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@CptBedlam: I'm sorry I mixed him up with Perturbed Donald the Disturbed Game Reviewer.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CptBedlam

@bartok said:

@CptBedlam: I'm sorry I mixed him up with Perturbed Donald the Disturbed Game Reviewer.

Again... wat?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By Milkman

This guy is the worst.

rynbeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By rynbeed

I felt like his review of the game was one of the first in have seen that identify what the game is doing well, and praises the game for it.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By ProfessorEss

Yeah despite appreciating the effort and enthusiasm Joe puts into his work that whole Keighley thing left me with a bad impression of him. I think he was totally in wrong and I hope after cooling off he realised the the mistakes he made. That being said, I can't condemn a guy for one stupid mistake (I'd left Giant Bomb a long time ago if that was the case) and he still provides some interesting views on games and yeah, his Guild Wars 2 review is pretty good. 

@dcgc said:

There is a lot of proof online backing up my sentences. Go fish.

You know when your trying to prove a point the onus is generally on you to prove that point right? 
    "My client is innocent! Just go search the internet your honor, I swear there's tons of evidence on there".  

And to say "Go Fish" after providing no argument but "search the internet" is just... that's... that's hilarious actually. Thumbs up.
    Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By Rohok

Oh yeah Giant Bomb does one Quick Look all the dumb fan boys don't like and suddenly they don't know how to review or do quick looks.

Give me a break children.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Rohok said:

Oh yeah Giant Bomb does one Quick Look all the dumb fan boys don't like and suddenly they don't know how to review or do quick looks.

Perhaps you're blinded by your undying love and loyalty to the staff of Giant Bomb but personally when this site provides grossly inadequate and uninformed coverage of a major release I'm interested in I'm all for the fantastic Giant Bomb community directing me to places with superior coverage of it. 

Maybe that's childish but hey, that's just me.
    Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

I've only ever seen a couple of videos that Joe's produced, but I feel like he's the first person doing coverage who has been able to put into words how massively fucking enthused I am for nearly every design decision this game makes. Especially after hearing over and over from various outlets how GW2 is just the next stepping stone for MMO fans, it was refreshing to get his opening commentary when likewise I really just never being able to enjoy how god damn boring and collar-yanking prior games in the genre have seemed to me when I tried them.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@ProfessorEss said:

@Rohok said:

Perhaps you're blinded by your undying love and loyalty to the staff of Giant Bomb but personally when this site provides grossly inadequate and uninformed coverage of a major release I'm interested in I'm all for the fantastic Giant Bomb community directing me to places with superior coverage of it. Maybe that's childish but hey, that's just me.

i think its more along the lines of they didnt like the game you like so it must mean they did something wrong

EDIT: you know what i felt the same way as you when the old republic came out and i saw the GB quick look so just forget the first comment

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Grissefar said:

@dcgc said:

@Grissefar said:

Ugh, that's desperate, man. A little pathetic, you know. Ha ! Ha !

Man, you really have got to stop typing haha as two different words and then putting a space between your punctuation. It makes me so angry :(

eSci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By eSci

The review was good, it got the points down though missing some of the positives and the negatives. Like being able to level with your friends even if you are 20 levels or so higher and the fact that the Heart Events (I.e. what replaced traditional quests) feel a hell of a lot more grindy then normal.

Also, the whole Joe and Geoff thing, in my opinion the interview was awful along with the questions. But, Geoff Keighley was dickhead from the start and also helps create the abomination known as the VGAs and for that he is already worse than cancer. So, I am torn.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I kind of like him I guess, you can see that he loves games.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By stryker1121

I like Angry Joe. Yeah he's got a shtick but he knows his stuff and is very enthusiastic about the same kinds of games I enjoy.

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Silvergun

That was a pretty good review. I've been playing the hell out of GW2 and more or less agree with all his points (I dunno about the mounts in WvW thing). Something that did really impress me is that some of his footage came from the endgame areas, so he's obviously put a lot of time into the game before doing the review.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By jakob187

I've always loathed Angry Joe, but I figured I would give this Guild Wars 2 video a try.

I stopped when he said Guild Wars 2 wasn't a grind and laughed. He obviously hasn't hit 80. The dungeon sets, the crafting, and getting legendaries are definitely MMO grinds.

I'm going to now continue the video and hopefully won't find myself laughing again.

*EDIT* Alright, I'm back already. I made it about another minute or two. That video is unbearable. Does it get better?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.