Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Anyone Else get Hacked?

gunninkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gunninkr

I havent been able to play since Sat night. Someone changed my email and stole my account early Sunday morning. I have 2 tickets in and I'm still waiting on customer service. Looks like there is was almost 20,000 tickets by the 31st for account hacks from what I read the on the Wiki posts.

Disappointed but It will get figured out.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By shinboy630

A GW1 friend of mine got hacked a few days after launch (same thing with the email change happened to him), and he PM'd me in-game yesterday saying it was all good, so yours will hopefully be sorted out. Good luck though!

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jams

@gunninkr said:

I havent been able to play since Sat night. Someone changed my email and stole my account early Sunday morning. I have 2 tickets in and I'm still waiting on customer service. Looks like there is was almost 20,000 tickets by the 31st for account hacks from what I read the on the Wiki posts.

Did you make any accounts on fan sites? I'm starting to get curious to how so many people are getting their accounts compromised.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By l4wd0g

Nope, email verification FTW!

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jams

@l4wd0g said:

ArenaNet said if you get an email verification, that means someone has your GW2 password correct and that you need to change it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Oh I wonder why I even play online games anymore. All I'm doing is asking for them to steal my email address and lock me out of everything I've ever bought.

Speaking of which, what's the protection on that? Associate my email account with my DNA?

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Akyho

@Jams said:

@l4wd0g said:

ArenaNet said if you get an email verification, that means someone has your GW2 password correct and that you need to change it.

My sister shares my account, well she bought the game. When she tried to log in it wouldnt let her in and I had to go into my emails and verify.

It wont allow access to your account, as-well as send you that email asking for permission and if not red flag goes up.

Nergrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nergrim

I have waited for the last 4 days for a response from Arena net.

Cant login on my account because it asks for email verification but i never get the damn email.

Wolfrum_920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wolfrum_920

I almost got hacked. Got a log-in verification on my account from somewhere in China...... i live in the UK. So, i quickly said NOPE! Other than that iv been ok

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By cornbredx

They have attempted to hack mine and failed multiple times.

WhytePanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By WhytePanther

I posted on another thread here earlier, but I'm happy to see the conversation still going. Short version of the story, haven't bought GW2 yet, but my GW1 account was stolen and the e-mail address changed. I don't _think_ that my e-mail has been accessed though, despite the fact that apparently they are supposed to click a link in an e-mail to confirm the change. I do fully realize however that the password I used was "out there", as I had a virus on one of my computers a few years ago, which lead to my WoW account getting taken a few months after that got cleaned up.

So I put in a ticket to have the account returned, and the response seems to be that I shouldn't click the links in the "phishing" e-mails, even though the links within were legit, and the headers checked out. They also didn't even acknowledge the GW1 account at all. I sent a response to the ticket yesterday, and am still waiting on a response. Fact of the matter is, I was thinking about getting GW2 at some point when it's on sale or WoW kinda dies down between a few months after Mists drops, but if they don't fix this, they've lost that sale.

gunninkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gunninkr

From the looks of the Wiki there is a group of hackers that have a ton of info from other sites and they are piecing old emails and passwords together to steal accounts.

I did receive a response from Customer Service asking them how long it would take. They responed right away detailing what crucial info I needed on my ticket and they are working on them in the order they receive them. Could be up to 72 hrs or more they said.

I love the game by the way. I will be playing this a long time. I was just going to hit level 20.

I hope I wont lose my spot in the guild...Lincoln Force was like 30 people from max when I signed off Saturday night.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By psylah

They hacked my account, and I don't even have one. For reals.

I got an e-mail from Anet confirming that I have changed my e-mail address.

I don't have an ArenaNet account, never have.

I figure it was just a phishing attempt.

WhytePanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WhytePanther

@psylah: Did you ever sign up for the beta? Or have a Guild Wars 1 account? Sure, it's possible it was just phishing, but the e-mails I got were quite legitimate, and my e-mail no longer has a GW1 account attached to it.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By psylah

@WhytePanther:

Nope, no beta business, never even received as much as a newsletter from them. Not even spam.

WoW had info get out recently, and I had an account with that e-mail (which I eventually changed), maybe they are phishing the MMO crowd.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Jams said:

@gunninkr said:

Did you make any accounts on fan sites? I'm starting to get curious to how so many people are getting their accounts compromised.

You can join fan sites, just don't use the same username/password that you use in-game.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rattle618

I used a very strong password that I had never used before cause I got paranoid, good thing I did.

gunninkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gunninkr

@Jams: I have never signed up for any fan sites.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Nope because I keep my PC very clean and use pretty wacky passwords.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Anyone who's had their account hacked should be sure to follow these instructions to have their issues "properly prioritized" according to ArenaNet. Don't know if that's helpful for anyone, but hopefully you all get your stuff back soon!

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Subjugation

I just got this email while I was away at classes today. So this means someone has my full log in info?

No Caption Provided

Wuhan, China. Colo(u)r me paranoid now. WAT DO GUYS!?

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Grillbar

after about 10 days of playing i just got a permanent ban for not validating my account via the email. even though the link in the email was broken and i send i ticket about it.

so im kinda pissed. just needed to vent

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jams

@Subjugation said:

I just got this email while I was away at classes today. So this means someone has my full log in info?

No Caption Provided

I don't know if you know, but Arenanet said that if you get that email then the other person knows your password, so you should probably change it.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By project343

Friend of mine got hacked and he had a credit card saved on the account. The hacker proceeded to spend $180 on gem to gold conversion. :\

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Bollard

I see people talking about email-verification for login but have no idea how to turn it on. There's nothing in Account settings on the website.

Also, it's not quite as bad, but I'm still waiting on gems I bought days ago and I left a support ticket which still hasn't even been looked at. Just to let you know their support responses are preeeeetty slow.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Subjugation

@Jams: Went ahead and did just that. Thanks for the information. I'm curious as to how my information got out though, because I haven't signed up for any fan sites or anything insecure.

bobomega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bobomega

@Subjugation: I believe they said hackers were just running lists of email address and passwords against their severs to see if any work.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_status_updates

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/z3qqm/guild_wars_2_status_thursday_august_30/

So yeah that is basically it, they have a big ol' pool of names and passwords.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By musubi

@psylah said:

They hacked my account, and I don't even have one. For reals.

I got an e-mail from Anet confirming that I have changed my e-mail address.

I don't have an ArenaNet account, never have.

I figure it was just a phishing attempt.

Ha. Love those. I got one saying "confirm your Diablo 3 account or we will delete it" Sure, I'll confirm that I never have had a Battle.net account... ever... =\

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DougQuaid

@Chavtheworld: I believe it's automatic. If someone tries to log in to your account from a different location with a different ip, they will automatically send you an email telling you to approve or deny the attempt.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Bollard

@DougQuaid: Ah nice!

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By napalm

@Subjugation said:

No Caption Provided

Why would you do nothing if somebody attempted to log in to your account from another country? Does that not scream 'red flag' to you? Somebody from China and Brazil accessed one of my old email addresses, and I immediately changed my passwords and set up other security measures that I didn't have before.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Subjugation

@Napalm: Who said I did nothing? I obviously already have email verification for the Arenanet account, changed passwords, and I also have two-step SMS verification for my gmail account. The point was to see if there was anything beyond the standard "change your password" that I could do to lock it down further. Sometimes people know of additional things you can do so I asked. You don't need to try to paint me as some internet inept.

gunninkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gunninkr

6 Days and counting. Still not getting any feed back from Customer Service. The only thing I see that has changed is my tickets went from "Unresolved" to "Updated" yet they have not given me any information. I liked it that Arenanet was all over letting people know why they got banned on a Reddit forum but I dont like that they wont even tell me what is going on with my solen account. I dont expect them to figure it out instantly but they could at least let me know something. I seen posts on the GW forums that some people are on 9 days and counting without a single word back about their ticket.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By shirogane

@gunninkr said:

6 Days and counting. Still not getting any feed back from Customer Service. The only thing I see that has changed is my tickets went from "Unresolved" to "Updated" yet they have not given me any information. I liked it that Arenanet was all over letting people know why they got banned on a Reddit forum but I dont like that they wont even tell me what is going on with my solen account. I dont expect them to figure it out instantly but they could at least let me know something. I seen posts on the GW forums that some people are on 9 days and counting without a single word back about their ticket.

I got a reponse earlier, from a guy who obviously didn't read any part of my ticket at all. Also, don't bother hoping for any stuff back if you had any, you won't get your items or gold back. Customer service for Anet seems pretty horrible.

WhytePanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WhytePanther

I literally within the last hour have gotten a second response from support, and they are still denying that anything has happened to my Guild Wars 1 account. Two responses within 7 days, both basically saying the same thing, that it was an attempt to phish and not from them. If that is the case, why can I not log into GW1? I'm responding AGAIN, with the full e-mail headers and HTML of the e-mail so that they can indeed verify it was from them.

gunninkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gunninkr

I got my account resolved on Friday afternoon just before I left work. As luck would have it my character and all my stuff was untouched. Good luck to anyone else. They reactivated my email/account an sent me a password that you cannot change until they get this security stuff handled. Looks like they are still having a tough time and they are under-staffed from what I see online today.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By UssjTrunks

@project343 said:

Friend of mine got hacked and he had a credit card saved on the account. The hacker proceeded to spend $180 on gem to gold conversion. :\

This is why I never link my credit card to online services. It's far too easy to get hacked.

I even buy all my Android apps direct from the developer using Paypal (otherwise you have to link your credit card to your Google account, which would be disastrous if you got your phone stolen/lost).

More companies need to start using Paypal and/or not require payment accounts to be linked to user accounts.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Azteck

Nope. I use two-way verification on Gmail, with a complicated password, as well as a completely different PW on Anet. I'd like to see them get my account.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By project343

@UssjTrunks: The most important note on the gem store is the fact that you can trade gold for gems and the conversion rate is pretty damn good at the moment. Last time I checked, 1g translated to just under $5 in gems for gem store use. I ended up buying a new bank tab for cross-character hoarding with my gold-to-gem trading.

WhytePanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By WhytePanther

Finally they got the point that I was after my GW1 account. They've asked for account proof, and seriously, the key for my original GW disk is blurry as all hell. Thanks scratch-off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.