Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Anyone else wish they not bought Diablo 3, and waited for this?

• 66 results
    DeadDorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DeadDorf

I was severely disappointed with Diablo 3, and haven't played it past the first week and a half. Guild Wars 2 looks much more interesting, and with a longer tail.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

@DeadDorf:

I'm going to reserve judgement until GW2 has been out for a month. Everyone was pretty positive before D3 launched, too. Right now, I'm in the same boat as you in regards to D3 though :/

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Games are too different, irrelevant question in my opinion. Now say do I wish I waited for GW2 instead of spend a bunch of time with TOR, maybe.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Bollard

I got Diablo 3 about a month or so after launch for £30 instead of £45. I had a fantastic time with it on the first two difficulties (second coop). I may go back to it at some point but to be honest I feel I got everything from it, and enjoyed my time. 30 hours of playtime for £30 is great IMO.

Guild Wars 2 I hope to play for hundreds of hours. I also got it for £30, even though it was the Pre-Purchase edition which got me into the beta weekends and early access (thanks for pricing it wrong, play.com :D). I never expected to play Diablo for any more than I did, therefore so far I'm happy with both.

In fact you made me want to play more Diablo now, thanks!

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Jayzilla

@Irvandus said:

Games are too different, irrelevant question in my opinion. Now say do I wish I waited for GW2 instead of spend a bunch of time with TOR, maybe.

i am gonna have to agree with Big Bo here. I did enjoy the story missions in ToR though. Was it worth paying a sub and box price? No. GW1 had more replay value and no sub. GW2 is amzing though. One more thing: BIG BO!

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Cloudenvy

But Diablo 3 is a dungeon crawler and Guild Wars 2 is an MMO so that's a weird comparison. I still wish I hadn't bought Diablo 3 though.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got Diablo 3 at launch and played it for about, what? 3 weeks? 150 hours? That is pretty good for the $80US I payed for it.

To put it in perspective, though, I bought GW2 for $60US and have already sunk about 80-90 hours in it during the betas. I haven't touched any of the Personal Story, haven't seen 3 of the major cities (4 if you count Ebonhawke), haven't done a dungeon, barely put time into Structured PvP and haven't progressed higher than lvl28 on any of the characters I have made. I have not put enough time into the Engineer profession and none into the Thief.

If you were to compare both games just on $$$ vs Time then a single player/coop RPG always falls short of an MMO - then again, I agree with others here in saying that the two aren't very comparable. I enjoyed my time with Diablo 3 but never expected more than what I got - perhaps that is where it didn't do it for you, perhaps you expected too much?

That said, I have played hundreds of hours on Diablo 2 and my friends have played thousands - so maybe you're on to something there.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By korwin

Only if I lived in some crazy universe where I was limited to only buying one of these games... there's nothing stopping me from buying GW2 short of utter bankruptcy.

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Gravier251

It is a bit of a weird comparison and in my case owning Diablo 3 does not preclude me from buying Guild Wars 2. Though as a general statement, yeah I do kind of regret my purchase of Diablo 3. I actively hated the narrative throughout and found the loot to be rather underwhelming. It was all focused on just +x primary attribute, +x vitality, stack damage, resist etc. Just didn't seem to have the same depth and recognisable loot that even it's predecessor had with uniques, set items and rune words. Was quite interesting in Diablo 2 seeing some sorceress who uses enchant fire and courtesy of certain items proceeds to turn into a werebear and dive into melee.

As for Guild Wars 2, I really like what I see and hear. Especially the level playing field/cap as far as stats on gear goes. Power creep and the whole making all content redundant patch to patch is something I really hate in MMOs and is one of the reasons why I haven't touched WoW in 2 years. Guild Wars 2 seems to be addressing it, and is rather enjoyable to play. Though for now I haven't played a massive amount of it, mostly just experimented with classes. I tend to dislike getting too invested in characters that will be deleted.

If it came down to one or the other, I am inclined to guess that Guild Wars 2 will have more length to it with all the events, structured PvP, WvW, etc. But it is all conjecture at this point really.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By morningstar

I wish I hadnt bought Diablo 3. Not because of GW2 though.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

No, because I didn't buy Diablo 3.

/dropmic

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zelyre

Two totally different games.

Though, in some weird universe where I wasn't pissing money away on stupid stuff... (Curse you Kickstarter) and was allowed to buy one of the two?

Guild Wars 2.

I beat Diablo 3 and had no desire to play more. Didn't want to reroll classes. Didn't want to go to a higher difficulty. The loot drops just... sucked. There was no, "Oh, if I get one more level and put all my points into strength, I can use this item." moments. Just, "Well, I'll grind some gold and see what's on the auction house..."

Maybe I ruined Diablo 3 for myself by using the auction house, but I only had a handful of items that were even useful for my character.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13  Edited By Hector

I wish I would've bought Dragon's Dogma instead of Diablo III.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Subjugation

I'm not going to compare the two because I feel like that isn't apt. I do however wish that I hadn't purchased Diablo 3. Thanks, peer pressure.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Etnos

@DeadDorf said:

I was severely disappointed with Diablo 3, and haven't played it past the first week and a half. Guild Wars 2 looks much more interesting, and with a longer tail.

You comparing Apples and Oranges here, and no Diablo 3 is awesome.

Haters gonna hate

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Deusx

Actually yes. I wish I didn´t spend $60 on Diablo III. The game was just not that good.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MezZa

I may not want to play Diablo 3 right now, but I don't regret buying it. My friends and I made some great memories playing co-op and I put over 100 hours into it easily. Completely worth the cost considering I got more out of D3 than I do with most of the short single player games I buy.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By owack6

I loved Diablo 3 and it satisfied my dungeon crawling for awhile.

In other news MMO's are dead.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Lukeweizer

@Ravenlight said:

@DeadDorf:

I'm going to reserve judgement until GW2 has been out for a month. Everyone was pretty positive before D3 launched, too.

This. I loved GW 1, but GW 2 hasn't really blown my socks off as much as it has for other people.

But more to the OP's question, I have a job. So, it's easy enough to make $60 between a 3 month period. Even though I don't play D3 that much, I don't wish I spent that $60 on another game.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By project343

It's kind of silly to compare the shelf life of a cooperative RPG to an MMORPG. :P

That said, I've already put more hours into GW2 than Diablo 3 (probably close to 70 hours across all 3 BWEs and stress tests). And have walked away with significantly less disappointment in GW2.

@owack6 said:

In other news MMO's are dead.

ಠ_ಠ

Really? Really? Sigh.

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By RobbieMac

@Dark_Lord_Spam: hey me too! No regrets here.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By gaminghooligan

@Irvandus said:

yea. I wish had just waited on TOR and put that moolah towards GW2. Now I have a 60 dollar box game that will be free to play in a month or two. Not to rag on TOR, it's a solid game imo, just wished I had known it would go f2p so soon

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I am glad that I bought both games. And about 30 others in between. What's this either or shit?

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Freshbandito

is there a new restriction in place stopping me from buying guild wars 2 having bought Diablo 3?

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@RobbieMac: We should sit over in Cool-Kid Corner and congratulate ourselves until GW2 comes out.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By haffy

Played around 150 hours for a £45 game. Which I will probably go back and play hardcore again some day. Also made £130 from RMAH.

Have absolutely zero interest in guild wars 2.

So yeah, can't say I feel the same. Pretty fucking good value in my opinion.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SeanFoster

I don't regret my time with Diablo 3. I'm not playing it anymore but I put my time into it than most games. I had no assumption I'd be playing it months later.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FunExplosions

Those are two completely arbitrary things.

Anyone else wish they didn't buy that candy after lunch instead of waiting for dinner Friday night?

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jack268

I don't know how they are related to each other

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tunaburn

nope me and my friend are having fun when we play together. i dont get the hate for diablo 3. i got my moneys worth. got my barb into inferno and am working my witch doctor there now.

punxotani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By punxotani

Purchased, played and quit diablo3. I enjoyed up until I hit the inferno wall then my interest fell off after creating 2 more classes. Grinding became a hassle. I think I just burned out on several full play through and act 1 farming runs. All that said I think I got my monies worth? Eagerly waiting for early start.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By phampire

I paid 60 aud for the d3 and I would have played over 120 hours with my friends. Was it a perfect game? Nope but I have yet to play one, I still had heaps of fun and it was money well spent. I also pre-ordered gw2 and eagerly await its release.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By veektarius

I feel bad for the person who loves video games and can only buy one new game over the course of three months.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bell_End

don't worry, there is bound to be one little thing that upsets the vocal minority about GW2 and the hate will begin just like it does with every game now.

that will detract from the the fact that GW2 is fantastic really and everyone will feel they have to hate it.

you'll most likely be posting how much you hate guild wars 2 in a few months and that you wish you'd waited for another game.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By project343

@FunExplosions: @Jack268: I think it has more to do with the fact that both of them are online-focused games under the RPG umbrella of genres at a $60 retail price without a subscription fee. There actually aren't too many of those nowadays.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bell_End

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I am glad that I bought both games. And about 30 others in between. What's this either or shit?

total agree. it seems these days we have to show how much we dislike or hate one game to show how much we like another.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By ajamafalous

They are entirely different games. As a dude who's been playing Diablo II for the past decade, I haven't pulled any punches when it comes to how disappointing Diablo III is, but the comparison you're trying to make here is dumb.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CaLe

It's a Fantasy MMO. A Fantasy MMO. No, the answer is no.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By cmblasko

No, purchasing Diablo 3 for full price and playing it for long enough to dislike it reinforced the important life lesson of "don't get your hopes up" that I had been neglecting for too long.

mgsolid86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 40

#40  Edited By mgsolid86

I've put over 150 hours into Diablo III, achieving level 60 with a Wizard and at least level 32 with every other class, as well as a level 10 Hardcore Demon Hunter that I started this week. I've got more than my $60 worth out of Diablo III. I'm also really looking forward to Guild Wars 2. I've played between 10 and 15 hours in the last 2 beta weekends and the last stress test, and I like what I've seen so far. It seems as though they're both worth $60 to me.

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Silvergun

I'm actually looking forward to what Blizzard does with updates down the road with updates, and especially with an expansion. I know with Diablo II, I would play it non-stop for a month or two, not touch it for a while, get addicted to it for a month or two again, etc, over and over for 10 years. As far as I can tell, the only reason I'm not playing it now is because I just got done with what will probably be the first of many flings with the game.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By ProfessorEss

I'll be more than happy to be surprised but after seeing how the original Guild Wars was marketed (they called the last one an MMO too) versus what the game actually was I just have to wait and see.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#43  Edited By galiant

Apples and oranges.

Stupid comparison.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MiniPato

Yeah. I only bought Diablo 3 cause my friends and relatives were egging me on into buying it so I can play with them. Now no one plays it since the big patch and ever since reaching inferno, I don't feel like playing through it another 15 times with all the other characters. I would like to say I had fun with it, but not 60 dollars worth of fun. Guess I'm just not into these top-down, loot based dungeon crawlers. No one's fault but mine, so whatcha gonna do eh?

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By John1912

@Irvandus said:

Games are too different, irrelevant question in my opinion.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Grillbar

i got D3 on release day and i absolutely loved it now im done. dont regret anything. and im still gonna buy GW2

so i dont understand the question why should i have wished that i did not buy D3 that came out so long ago for a game thats not released yet.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@ProfessorEss said:

I'll be more than happy to be surprised but after seeing how the original Guild Wars was marketed (they called the last one an MMO too) versus what the game actually was I just have to wait and see.

ArenaNet themselves have always referred to the original game as a CORPG, and have been totally up-front about it not being fully persistent. If you want a very brief run-down about how it's handled in GW2, you can read this.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@ProfessorEss said:

ArenaNet themselves have always referred to the original game as a CORPG, and have been totally up-front about it not being fully persistent. If you want a very brief run-down about how it's handled in GW2, you can read this.

No. The pre-release marketing for the original Guild Wars used the "Free MMO" tagline very heavily. 
    I'll look around, I might even still have the pre-order packaging with that written right on the box. 
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By Marz

nope.... By buying diablo 3 and making about 300$ off of it... i was able to buy a guild wars 2 preorder :P

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@ProfessorEss: If you're talking specifically about marketing materials, then sure, I'd believe it (also I'm too lazy to check). The developers, however, made no bones about the heavy instancing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.