Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Are you choosing classes that would fit specific races?

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Lukeweizer

I'm in profession/ race turmoil. I'm finding myself picking professions that would fit the race. I thought I was going to make a Norn Guardian, Human Ranger, Charr Engineer, Asura Warrior (for the juxtaposition) and then... I guess a Sylvari Thief? But that just doesn't seem right to me. To be honest, the Sylvari don't even interest me and I kind of don't want to make one. But I feel like I'd be robbing myself of that content/ area. The only thing that would make sense to me as a Sylvari is a Ranger, but I kind of had my heart set on a Human Ranger. Now I'm finding myself jumbling my professions and races around trying to accamodate everything that I want to play, with all the races. What's your master plan for making your characters?

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Maystack

I'm doing the opposite. My first two are going to be Norn Elementalist and Sylvari Engineer. And if I ever make an Asura it'll be a Warrior.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FourWude

Racist stereotyping. When will you people learn.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Make only humans, like I'm doing, That way you don't need to worry about inferior races.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @FourWude

Racist stereotyping. When will you people learn.

Hahahahaha. I never thought of it like that.

I'm a bigot.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I was going to make an Asura because those guys are hysterical, but I want to play Warrior and I'm not ready to treat physics like a joke.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Maystack

@Brodehouse: But a tiny dude with a giant sword is so Asurable!

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Patman99

@No0b0rAmA said:

Make only humans, like I'm doing, That way you don't need to worry about inferior races.

This is true. I think SWTOR said something like Humans are the standard race to which all others are judged.

Bahloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bahloo

@Maystack said:

So asurable!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By BabyChooChoo

My plan is to choose the most visual appealing race, Norn (because giant woman boobs), and choose the most appealing class, Mesmer (because Mesmer)

Turkalurch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Turkalurch

@Bahloo said:

@Maystack said:

So asurable!

Fucking asurable!

I'm making an Asuran Engineer for similar reason as the OP. Except according to my logic, Asuras should only be engineers. It's weird I know but it feels like the only class to me that fits with that race. -.-. Anyway I'm sure I'll be less stereotypical as I get used to these new races in the coming months.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Xeirus

@Patman99 said:

@No0b0rAmA said:

This is true. I think SWTOR said something like Humans are the standard race to which all others are judged.

But they're sooo boring!

@Turkalurch said:

@Bahloo said:

@Maystack said:

So asurable!

Fucking asurable!

I'm making an Asuran Engineer for similar reason as the OP. Except according to my logic, Asuras should only be engineers. It's weird I know but it feels like the only class to me that fits with that race. -.-. Anyway I'm sure I'll be less stereotypical as I get used to these new races in the coming months.

I love that word....

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By fox01313

I will try out the same thing done in other mmos where I'll do what I can to get about an hour in on each class to see what I like as well as play with some of the other races preparing to pick a few to reroll in the right combination. As it's the sequel to guild wars, spent most of the time in the previous game with the necromancer, mesmer, elementalist along with the assassin & dervish for the expansions. Not sure if I'll like any of the same classes I did with the sequel but willing to find out though expecting that the more odd races in GW2 charr & dinky sprite things will be played to see the origin/start area then jump out.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Xeirus

@fox01313 said:

I will try out the same thing done in other mmos where I'll do what I can to get about an hour in on each class to see what I like as well as play with some of the other races preparing to pick a few to reroll in the right combination. As it's the sequel to guild wars, spent most of the time in the previous game with the necromancer, mesmer, elementalist along with the assassin & dervish for the expansions. Not sure if I'll like any of the same classes I did with the sequel but willing to find out though expecting that the more odd races in GW2 charr & dinky sprite things will be played to see the origin/start area then jump out.

Wow, that's a really good idea.... I might do that

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jack268

I'm going asura elementalist for my first character which I guess is picking a class that fits the race.

But I swear, I wasn't thinking of it like that! I'm not a racist!

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By fox01313

@Xeirus: Found that over the years of playing rpgs/mmos that usually an hour in or for something like wow, level 10-15, tends to be when many classes start getting some better abilities or just seeing what happens if the class is fun or just too much of a one-key to play (where many other abilities are just a waste over one skill). Seen many rpgs where the rogue or mage classes that I tend to play work really well or mess it up so it's hard to predict how a game will handle it until I play it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Patman99

@No0b0rAmA said:

It depends if you would say norns are tall humans, or if humans are small norns.
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Jayzilla

I am going for opposites. My Mesmer has a mohawk and his name is Zane Gief. I will let you guess who he looks like.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By project343

@Lukeweizer said:

I guess a Sylvari Thief? But that just doesn't seem right to me.

The hero character for the Sylvari, Caithe, is a thief/rogue type character. She's fast, she's deadly, and she's fantastic at stabbing stuff with stilettos (knives).

That said, I'm going for an Asuran Engineer and a Charrdian for launch. Both of them can make a fair bit of sense in the world. But you can also shape via character creation and your own internal biographies. For instance, my Charrdian is going to be an old Blood Legion veteran who is tired of murder and violence and wants to move toward compassion and protecting the people he cares for--melding the Guardian style with the Charr world.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

The sorta-kinda-official groupings look something like this, if anyone needs help: 

Asura

• elementalist
    • engineer
    • mesmer
    • necromancer
    Charr 
    • engineer
    • ranger 
    • thief
    • warrior
    Humans
    • elementalist
    • engineer
    • guardian
    • mesmer
    • ranger
    • warrior
    Norn 
    • guardian
    • necromancer
    • ranger
    • warrior
    Sylvari
    • elementalist
    • necromancer
    • ranger
    • thief
    Though since charr are always the correct choice, obviously they'll go well with anything you pick.
    plague102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By plague102

I wanted to roll a charr guardian so bad but I feel it will look goofy that and I feel the charr armor isn't as good as other races

announakis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By announakis

@Lukeweizer said:

I'm in profession/ race turmoil. I'm finding myself picking professions that would fit the race. I thought I was going to make a Norn Guardian, Human Ranger, Charr Engineer, Asura Warrior (for the juxtaposition) and then... I guess a Sylvari Thief? But that just doesn't seem right to me. To be honest, the Sylvari don't even interest me and I kind of don't want to make one. But I feel like I'd be robbing myself of that content/ area. The only thing that would make sense to me as a Sylvari is a Ranger, but I kind of had my heart set on a Human Ranger. Now I'm finding myself jumbling my professions and races around trying to accamodate everything that I want to play, with all the races. What's your master plan for making your characters?

ah noting like a monstrous bulky charr producing little purple butterflies ^_^

oh wait...sure: a bulky norm producing little butterflies maybe, but not quite ^_-

Avatar image for deactivated-64b7e78b633fd
    deactivated-64b7e78b633fd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the Charr and I like the Elementalist, screw it i'm doing them both.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Donatello: Yeah, man! Charr eles 4 lyfe!
    labam89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By labam89

Going with charr guardian, asura thief, and sylvari elementalist.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By TheHT

It's not a huge concern of mine, but it's definitely floating around in my head.

As it stands I'm looking to make: Human Ranger, Human Thief, Norn Warrior, Sylvari Guardian, and undecided Elementalist.

I was thinking a big buff Norn Ele would be cool, but would really like to get a good spread of races on my 5 character slots.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By l4wd0g

Which race will be the best ranger class?

YEAR OF THE BOW!

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sanity

Im thinking of making a Charr Ranger which seems to fit them well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.