Are you ready for Super Adventure Box?

#1 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

Is your body ready for all this awesomeness in one content update?! Personally, the content updates each month have been excellent with this game, and this one just seems like the craziest and greatest shit ever!

#2 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4202 posts) -

This shit is crazy! Totally cool. ~ Every month huh? 12 crazy updates a year; sounds pretty great!

#3 Posted by Ezakael (933 posts) -

What better time to get back into Guild Wars than this? I'll be giving it a go for sure once it goes live.

#4 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I skipped forward and it turned into Minecraft.

What the fuck is this.

#5 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -

April 1st is tomorrow, buddy.

#6 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@jakob187:

Meaningful updates have been few and far between. March's update is quite impressive, from what I've read of it - but I didn't actually check it out yet, which speaks volumes about my lack of enthusiasm for the game. Most content updates, especially the *Living Story* bits, have been extremely underwhelming thus far. There's two new personal story instances this month, I wonder if that's going to do it for me.

Pretty sure I'm out though, the PvE aspects are subpar when compared to genre standards, at the very least once all the exploration is done; and I chose to play other genres for my online competitive fix. The social aspect of MMORPGs was never a thing I wanted to engage in, but rather engaged in by necessity - and it does add quite a few peaks and valleys to the experience - but I really don't care for people all too much, and there's little meaningful gameplay locked behind the social barrier, so that's not for me either.

Oh well, GW2 has run its course as far as I'm concerned. Looking forward to trying out ESO. Could be just the right mix between what GW2 did right (more direct action combat), and classic MMORPG values, such as more pronounced vertical progression and the return of the holy trinity, for better teamplay and more interesting encounter design in group PvE of all scales.

#7 Edited by CaptainObvious (2996 posts) -

APRIL'S FOOLS DAWG.

#8 Posted by Nux (2330 posts) -

Looks like I need to start playing this again.

#9 Posted by shinboy630 (1135 posts) -

The commercial is even dumber than the actual thing.

For the record, this thing is actually really fun.

#10 Posted by Itwongo (1183 posts) -

@ezakael said:

What better time to get back into Guild Wars than this? I'll be giving it a go for sure once it goes live.

It is live now! Go play it!

#11 Posted by llamaegg (226 posts) -

Man, I really, really need to get back into Guild Wars, is the guild still together and active?

#12 Posted by Itwongo (1183 posts) -
#13 Edited by llamaegg (226 posts) -

@itwongo

Awesome! Time to re-install it then, was super active at the start but ended up getting pushed to the side for a while. Let the jumping puzzles commence!

#14 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

What April Fool's? This is live in the game RIGHT NOW. My brother has been playing it all day.

#15 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

@shinboy630: Fuck, that is the best thing I've seen in awhile.

#16 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

@seppli: There have been PLENTY of meaningful updates. Fractals, while being something that divided the community philosophically, has been a massive hit. The holiday stuff was excellent fun. The Living Story stuff has been fine, and The Razing has been absolutely fantastic. This update is just more fun stuff.

Personally, I had to shift my way of thinking about MMOs. Every time I play an MMO, it's always "forward progression, forward progression, carrot on a stick". In Guild Wars 2, that is not the case. The carrot on a stick is easy to catch. It's more about the social aspect, residing in that world, taking part in the massive WvW (which has improved significantly), and generally just fucking around. "Gear progression" is more about vanity than necessity of stats. I LIKE that. I LIKE that my character doesn't look like every other character in the game. It gives me my own unique character.

Then again, I played the shit out of the first Guild Wars, so I have already been through the whole "stats are easy, vanity is hard" thing. I'm sorry you are over the game, but the game itself is far from over.

#17 Edited by llamaegg (226 posts) -

Now I need to decide if I continue my Engineer or start something new.

#18 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3254 posts) -

@shinboy630 said:

The commercial is even dumber than the actual thing.

For the record, this thing is actually really fun.

I just want to reiterate as much as possible that everyone needs to see this dumb fucking video. It's incredistonishing. Their update page is pretty great, too.

#19 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

You've been had

#20 Posted by TheHT (11147 posts) -

holy fuckballs, that would be awesome if real.

#21 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3254 posts) -

@jz: @theht: The update is 100% real. They added a massive amount of content for this game mode.

#22 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@seppli: There have been PLENTY of meaningful updates. Fractals, while being something that divided the community philosophically, has been a massive hit. The holiday stuff was excellent fun. The Living Story stuff has been fine, and The Razing has been absolutely fantastic. This update is just more fun stuff.

Personally, I had to shift my way of thinking about MMOs. Every time I play an MMO, it's always "forward progression, forward progression, carrot on a stick". In Guild Wars 2, that is not the case. The carrot on a stick is easy to catch. It's more about the social aspect, residing in that world, taking part in the massive WvW (which has improved significantly), and generally just fucking around. "Gear progression" is more about vanity than necessity of stats. I LIKE that. I LIKE that my character doesn't look like every other character in the game. It gives me my own unique character.

Then again, I played the shit out of the first Guild Wars, so I have already been through the whole "stats are easy, vanity is hard" thing. I'm sorry you are over the game, but the game itself is far from over.

Sure, there have been some *great* additions to the game, arguably these were absolutely necessary. Fractals is the only PvE content, that semi-approaches the quality level of similar products in this regard. That said, it exposes the flaws of the core design of GW2 way too clearly. Difficulty scaling doesn't get overcome by player specialization on support and synergy and smart group play, but simply by increasing personal survivability by all means.

Look, there's been vertical progression, the ascended gear. GW2's philosophy is that *anything is obtainable by anyone*. There's no skill barrier, no social barrier, no need to do anything other than grinding dailies for 20-30 days per piece. It's boring. I've also got my legendary, which was the worst waste of time I've ever indulged in. At its core, the entire flippin' hippie philosophy of GW2 makes for a much worse moment to moment game experience.

WvW to me is but a boring and extremely slow paced version of Battlefield, that's all about zerging. As so many other things in GW2, it's mostly paper awesome, whilst the reality of gameplay is rather sobering. Why would I want to play that over literally anything else? ArenaNet has added 2 battlegrounds, that's cool, but at the time, I was grinding for the legendary, and so there's been no point in playing it. I get no XP, no gold, no progress whatsoever - the lack of regular progression via sPvP play is one of the main reasons I'm no longer playing the game. You can bet your ass I would still be playing, if I could level up new professions to 80 by playing sPvP. Instead sPvP has its own progression, which is frankly an even worse grind, and is set-up to get microtransactions out of me.

The Razing was the worst flippin' thing that ever happend in gaming history. I've done all the achievements and seen all the content. It boils down to 2-3 dynamic events added to the gameworld, as well as some new static persons and objects added to low-level zones. It wasn't fun exploring this content, it wasn't fun doing the achievements, it was abyssimal in the storytelling department (where did the refugees come from? Apparently the loading screen between Diessa Plateau and Wayfarer Foothills).

I can understand how one can be happy with GW2, if WvW and sPvP are a thing one likes. From the PvE side of things, I could not be more disappointed. Southsun Cove has like 5 events on it, most of which are a bitch to do (even though I spend most my time on it, since it's somewhat challenging), the living story is a joke, fractals boil down to one instance really, and I've played that to death. All the other dungeons are barely well enough designed to warrant one playthrough. All in all, it's an awful grind for meaningless vanity items, that aren't even true vanity items, because none of what has been achieved to get them has been noteworthy.

#23 Edited by Tr0n (234 posts) -

Best April 1st .. like EVER. :)

#24 Edited by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

It is going on I believe all through April if I remember right & quite surreal to go through. Fun from what I've seen & the NPC next to the gateway to get to this has some Saints Row 3 Deckers style of weapon skins making many weapons look ghostly & 8bit.

Also plenty of info from the main gw2 site with tips on this oddity:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/your-super-adventure-box-questions-answered/

#25 Posted by shinboy630 (1135 posts) -

Hey @selfconfessedcynic I think this is what Josh talked about on our show about how he was working on something a bit different that he couldn't talk about, because he is the lead designer on this whole project. Also, @seppli, I'm so sorry that GW2 killed your entire family.

#26 Edited by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

@seppli: I don't know what to tell you, man. I thoroughly love that game. Sorry you can't get into it.

@shinboy630: What show? Who are you? I'm confused.

#27 Posted by shinboy630 (1135 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.