ArenaNet Will Slash Sales Before Letting Their Servers Collapse

#1 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3127 posts) -

TIME (I know, not exactly Video-Game Central) just posted an interesting interview with president and co-founder of ArenaNet, Mike O'brien. He talks briefly about how the game's launch has gone, and the fixes their team is looking to implement, but one answer in particular that he makes stands out to me: he states flat-out that if the projected rate of sales threatens server stability, ArenaNet is willing to temporarily pull the plug on digital purchases of the game. Some of you may remember noticing something like this occurring just before certain beta events, in fact. Anyway, the commitment is enough to impress me.

#2 Posted by Fobwashed (1886 posts) -

It's one thing to say it, and I have to assume a wholly other thing to actually do it. I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't follow through with this claim while I would be pretty floored if they did. Still, pretty ballsy of him to come out and say it so kudos for that.

#3 Posted by Jettblackk (52 posts) -

@Fobwashed: They did it, check the officiall site.. :-)

#4 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Bioware did this with TOR and a bunch of people got mad.

#5 Posted by ghostchant (121 posts) -

Why did they do this just when I went to buy the game ? lol

#6 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

Colour me unimpressed but this seems like a business decision to me. :P

Getting a bad reputation for server stability now could hurt sales in the long run. It's a smart move overall, from both a financial and PR perspective. And it does keep the game smooth for the current players.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.