Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Best storyline?

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By superfriend

So I know a lot of you don´t play MMOs for the story, but bear with me:

I started a human Thief character and apart from the Nolan North voice, found very little to like about this particular storyline. Your "friends" felt just so stupid and tacked on, I gladly let that one dude die. And- how come you don´t really get to do thiev-y stuff, not even in the beginning of the game? I know the storylines are probably race-specific or something, but it really bothered me. I was a thief (yeah, they are probably only damage dealers in MMOs) but I would do stuff that any sword-for-hire would do. I would excuse it with "it´s pretty good for an MMO" and just keep playing.

So last night I started a Norn Fighter/Paladin character. I have to say, the norn stuff was about 100x more appealing to me than the human generic stuff. I got turned into a snow leopard and hunted with a pack of wolves for gods sake!

How are your feelings on the stories in this game? Which one is the "best" or most engaging in your opinion?

Avatar image for deactivated-5945386c8a570
    deactivated-5945386c8a570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, im curious too, does this game have actually good storylines? After my long backlog this will be the first MMO i'll try, good stories is always a plus.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By Seppli

@Superfriend said:

So I know a lot of you don´t play MMOs for the story, but bear with me:

I started a human Thief character and apart from the Nolan North voice, found very little to like about this particular storyline. Your "friends" felt just so stupid and tacked on, I gladly let that one dude die. And- how come you don´t really get to do thiev-y stuff, not even in the beginning of the game? I know the storylines are probably race-specific or something, but it really bothered me. I was a thief (yeah, they are probably only damage dealers in MMOs) but I would do stuff that any sword-for-hire would do. I would excuse it with "it´s pretty good for an MMO" and just keep playing.

So last night I started a Norn Fighter/Paladin character. I have to say, the norn stuff was about 100x more appealing to me than the human generic stuff. I got turned into a snow leopard and hunted with a pack of wolves for gods sake!

How are your feelings on the stories in this game? Which one is the "best" or most engaging in your opinion?

Did the Human's 'Dead Sister' stuff in a BWE, and I liked that one quite a lot. Love the Charr Ash Legion stuff I did with my main. Order of Wispers was quite good too, and had my favorite support character in the game thus far - Tybalt. I did Ash Legion and Gladium Father and Order of Wispers on my Ranger and it was quite fun - nothing to write home about, but as a source for fleshing out the lore and some good XP and loot, it certainly did the job. Some of the setpieces were quite amazing too.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By shirogane

None of the storylines are that great, though it's weird you liked Norn, everyone else i know thinks Norn was the most boring. Though it may be which origin you choose.

I think the Sylvari ones kinda make more sense, cause you actually meet Trahearne really early on, instead of him just showing up randomly later and you just being, who's this guy and why's he suddenly the focus?

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By superfriend

@Shirogane said:

None of the storylines are that great, though it's weird you liked Norn, everyone else i know thinks Norn was the most boring. Though it may be which origin you choose.

I think the Sylvari ones kinda make more sense, cause you actually meet Trahearne really early on, instead of him just showing up randomly later and you just being, who's this guy and why's he suddenly the focus?

Well, I´ve only played up to lvl 10 with the Norn so far, but I like the setting. It´s kinda goofy and stereotypical, but at least it fits the character. Plus, I kinda felt like most people in the human are were not interested in anything other than powerleveling.

Dunno, maybe I just play these games differently. I like to take my time and talk to everybody, even use emotes and stuff for things other than chat... "roleplaying" if you will.

The Charr stuff also sounds interesting, maybe I´ll try that too.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jesterroyal

@Shirogane said:

Without spoiling though. Sylvari is one of the more frustrating because you are like HEY ITS TRAHEARNE! HEY BUDDY LONG TIME NO... Yes.. I know you are a necromancer. Hey.. no, we've met before. no... i know about caladbolg. Oh... okay :(

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By shirogane

@jesterroyal: Ha, yeah...i found that a bit odd too. There's like one line where they acknowledge you knowing each other, but then after that it goes back to the stuff everyone gets and it just felt kinda broken. Then again, quite a lot of the story missions of the game feel that way.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By UssjTrunks

: The storylines aren't tailored to your profession, but to the questions you answer during character creation.

I did the circus storyline with my human warrior and it was very thief-y. There was an entire mission at the start where you had to infiltrate a bandit hideout by dressing like one of them. That might be more what you're looking for.

Avatar image for halcyontwilight
    halcyontwilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By halcyontwilight

The Human noble storyline did a great job at fleshing out the human faction, and didn't feel too hokey either, so it's currently my favorite. The party investigation mission (one of the branching choices) was pretty cool, and playing wingman to your hopeless noble friend at the party was pretty funny too.

I didn't really like the Charr Blood Legion story despite some of the awesomeness that happens within the first few missions, and the Sylvari White Stag story was boring and poorly written.

TTMSHU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TTMSHU

Obviously, everyone knows that the Asura missions are the best.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

I think that (generally speaking) the writing in the charr and asura stories are the sharpest, though keep in mind I haven't done much of my asura line yet. It helps that their race mentors have the most character out of the five.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.