Building Wars. Twice?

Posted by Sweep (8975 posts) -

There is a new Guild Wars 2 trailer out.

Guild Wars 2 has got me pretty excited. Their analysis of their own brand seems brutally cynical, and their ability to not only explain the problems with the MMO genre in general but to suggest constructive solutions is something that I admire. In their 5 minute trailer the most intriguing aspect of their advertisement is the members of ArenaNet standing there and rationalising the waves of stale loathing that wash against your subconscious every time you return to Azeroth. Or maybe that's just me?  

Recognising there is a problem is often the first step to recovery.

I have read the philosophies behind the design changes in Guild Wars 2 and each seems appropriately justified. I don't know if i'm alone here but as I watched the Guild Wars 2 trailer I found myself nodding as each crushing convention of the MMO genre was presented to me and then replaced with the optimistic intentions of the Guild Wars 2 team. 

"You have really fun tasks occasionally and the rest of the game is this boring grind to get to the fun stuff. "

Nod. 

"The MMO has lost the ability to make the player feel like a hero. Everyone around you is doing the same thing, the boss you just killed respawns 10 minutes later, the world doesn't care that you are there." 

Nod. 

"No monthly fees. "

Big fucking nod. 

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. 

It's one thing to understand a problem and it's another to appropriately address it. As Jeff once said when asked if he would consider making games instead of reviewing them: "knowing what's wrong with a videogame doesn't mean you know how to fix it". However the willingness of ArenaNet to demonstrate they at the very least appreciate these issues and publicly demonstrate their ability to think around these problems is very fucking encouraging and fills me with hope. A Kane and Lynch 2 kind of hope, not a Sonic Colours kind of hope. 

It doesn't hurt that the game also looks fucking beautiful.

I want to be inside it. And soon I shall be! 

IN OTHER NEWS

I just played through the Mafia 2 demo. I'm not really sure what I think about it yet. The most striking features were the setting, the 1950 vibes that offer an alternatively surreal experience to that offered by Liberty City in GTA4. The radio may be advertising the new-fangled "Credit Cards" but lurking beneath the sincerity is a much more dry form of humour and it's no less hilarious. More on this coming soon I hope.   

Thanks For Reading 
Love Sweep
#1 Posted by Sweep (8975 posts) -

There is a new Guild Wars 2 trailer out.

Guild Wars 2 has got me pretty excited. Their analysis of their own brand seems brutally cynical, and their ability to not only explain the problems with the MMO genre in general but to suggest constructive solutions is something that I admire. In their 5 minute trailer the most intriguing aspect of their advertisement is the members of ArenaNet standing there and rationalising the waves of stale loathing that wash against your subconscious every time you return to Azeroth. Or maybe that's just me?  

Recognising there is a problem is often the first step to recovery.

I have read the philosophies behind the design changes in Guild Wars 2 and each seems appropriately justified. I don't know if i'm alone here but as I watched the Guild Wars 2 trailer I found myself nodding as each crushing convention of the MMO genre was presented to me and then replaced with the optimistic intentions of the Guild Wars 2 team. 

"You have really fun tasks occasionally and the rest of the game is this boring grind to get to the fun stuff. "

Nod. 

"The MMO has lost the ability to make the player feel like a hero. Everyone around you is doing the same thing, the boss you just killed respawns 10 minutes later, the world doesn't care that you are there." 

Nod. 

"No monthly fees. "

Big fucking nod. 

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. 

It's one thing to understand a problem and it's another to appropriately address it. As Jeff once said when asked if he would consider making games instead of reviewing them: "knowing what's wrong with a videogame doesn't mean you know how to fix it". However the willingness of ArenaNet to demonstrate they at the very least appreciate these issues and publicly demonstrate their ability to think around these problems is very fucking encouraging and fills me with hope. A Kane and Lynch 2 kind of hope, not a Sonic Colours kind of hope. 

It doesn't hurt that the game also looks fucking beautiful.

I want to be inside it. And soon I shall be! 

IN OTHER NEWS

I just played through the Mafia 2 demo. I'm not really sure what I think about it yet. The most striking features were the setting, the 1950 vibes that offer an alternatively surreal experience to that offered by Liberty City in GTA4. The radio may be advertising the new-fangled "Credit Cards" but lurking beneath the sincerity is a much more dry form of humour and it's no less hilarious. More on this coming soon I hope.   

Thanks For Reading 
Love Sweep
#2 Posted by Jimbo (9983 posts) -

You aren't alone.  I've been noticing quite a few people getting excited about how Guild Wars 2 is gonna try and do things differently.  I hope it happens, but developers have been promising to get rid of the grind for just about as long as MMOs have been around.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Kane & Lynch 2 hope? Isn't that the same as Sonic Colors hope?

#4 Posted by Sweep (8975 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: Not for me it isn't. I think it's looking pretty snappy. Sonic Colors, by contrast, we know will be terrible.
#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Sweep: 

It sure looks a helluva lot like the Sonic Unleashed demo I played in Wal-Mart.
#6 Posted by Sweep (8975 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: It's a Sonic game. Can you even remember the last time sega got a sonic game right?
#7 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

The trailer was a beauty. Hopefully the massive feel of the environments will tie into the population of each instance.
#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Sweep said:
" @Video_Game_King: It's a Sonic game. Can you even remember the last time sega got a sonic game right? "
Sonic 3 & Knuckles, 1994.
#9 Posted by Sweep (8975 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: My point exactly. 1994. That shit was barely even in 2 dimensions. We discovered a whole new dimension since then!
#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Sweep said:
" @Video_Game_King: My point exactly. 1994. That shit was barely even in 2 dimensions. We discovered a whole new dimension since then! "
I'm guessing by "barely", you mean that it was almost 3D, given the Chaos Emerald stages and stuff.
#11 Posted by Sweep (8975 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: I don't know what I mean and neither do you! 
#12 Posted by Flaime (527 posts) -

But is it really a MMO?

#13 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

I'm still not convinced that like so many other games out there claim to be doing that Guild Wars 2 will change the MMORPG, I think there's a fundamental problem with trying to make every person in an MMO feel like the hero of the world and they're not the first people to identify the issues with the modern MMO, not by a long shot. However, Guild Wars 2 is looking like a very good game and I have to admire the ambition of the team behind it.

#14 Posted by DaemonicGrim (184 posts) -

This'll be interesting as it develops. Not given it any genuine thought until now, hope they can actually deliver on their ideas but I can't help thinking that some of the things it promises lend themselves distinctly towards singleplayer rather than MMO. We shall see...

#15 Posted by Semition (731 posts) -

As long as they kept the awesome things they did in the original Guild Wars, I'm fine.

#16 Posted by zudthespud (3284 posts) -

I really liked guild wars 1, it had great fiction and art style that I was really into and it had no monthly fees, which makes it so good. If I subscribed to an MMO I would feel like I had a responsibility to play it, where as GW was much more relaxing having it sitting thre untouched for a few weeks.

#17 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

Even though I'm not a big MMO player, Guild Wars 2 looks interesting.

#18 Posted by Bucketdeth (8048 posts) -

Guild Wars was amazing for it's time and I'm sure Guild Wars 2 is going to put a spin on the mmo world even more so then the original.

#19 Posted by Gellrock (381 posts) -

Can't wait, just hopefully my computer can run it by the time it comes out! It looks to beautiful! :p and love the no subscription still, only mmo i'm paying for will probably be warhammer 40k...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.