Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Can I run this?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

As title says. I have a aging laptop and this is the last big PC game I wanna play before I have to upgrade. Imput?  

Thank you for the help. 

Edit. If other people want to use this as a "Can I run it" Thread please feel free to. 

Nickieroonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Nickieroonie
    ScoreSetter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By ScoreSetter

Go to this website from your laptop. It'll rate all the requirements needed for the game against your PC specs automagically, for practically any game.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ScoreSetter said:

Go to this website from your laptop. It'll rate all the requirements needed for the game against your PC specs automagically, for practically any game.

That says the green bar goes ALL the way to the right....
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60
    @The_Laughing_Man
    @ScoreSetter said:

Don't trust that site, it said I failed Battlefield 2 on my current computer that can max out Witcher 2.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @CL60 said:
    @The_Laughing_Man
    @ScoreSetter said:

Don't trust that site, it said I failed Battlefield 2 on my current computer that can max out Witcher 2.
    SO what is your suggestion on all this?
    SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SamStrife

Yeah, you'll be able to get away with running it at least on low settings with some set to medium. The frame rate may drop in WvW at times for you though but that happens to pretty much everyone.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @SamStrife said:

Yeah, you'll be able to get away with running it at least on low settings with some set to medium. The frame rate may drop in WvW at times for you though but that happens to pretty much everyone.

I intend to turn off bloom and shadows. That stuff bugs me in all MMOs. So hopefully that will help. Now..I just gotta save up for the game. 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60
    @The_Laughing_Man
    @CL60 said:
    @The_Laughing_Man
    @ScoreSetter said:

Might be able to run it on low. The optomization of the game seems iffy, some people are getting great performance and some people with good computers are getting not so great performance.

I'm only getting around 20 fps with everything on high, but I still haven't downloaded the latest beta drivers for my card which apparently boosts performance significantly.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @CL60 said:
    @The_Laughing_Man
    @CL60 said:
    @The_Laughing_Man
    @ScoreSetter said:

Might be able to run it on low. The optomization of the game seems iffy, some people are getting great performance and some people with good computers are getting not so great performance. I'm only getting around 20 fps with everything on high, but I still haven't downloaded the latest beta drivers for my card which apparently boosts performance significantly.
    Stupid question. Where can I find my ATI driver updates? 
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By DeeGee

I have a computer that can run Battlefield 3 on high, yet GW2 struggles to get above 14 FPS even on the lowest of settings. Keep in mind that optimization for this game is terrible at the moment.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jesterroyal

@The_Laughing_Man said: .

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx is the website for AMD drivers. I recomend letting them automatically detect your drivers. Its hard to go wrong there (Top right hand corner of that page)

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @jesterroyal said:

@The_Laughing_Man said: .

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx is the website for AMD drivers. I recomend letting them automatically detect your drivers. Its hard to go wrong there (Top right hand corner of that page)

Hmm I think I am up to date. Not 100% sure. 
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By emem
    @The_Laughing_Man: I'm afraid it won't run very well (even on low settings), because you are barely meeting the minimum requirements. If I were you I'd probably get that new hardware before buying the game. 

Edit: But then again not everyone needs a smooth gaming experience, maybe you'd enjoy it with a very a low frame rate as well... it's hard to say, I definitely wouldn't.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @emem said:
    @The_Laughing_Man: I'm afraid it won't run very well (even on low settings), because you are barely meeting the minimum requirements. If I were you I'd probably get that new hardware before buying the game.  Edit: But then again not everyone needs a smooth gaming experience, maybe you'd enjoy it with a very a low frame rate as well... it's hard to say, I definitely wouldn't.
    I can stand 30 frames if I can at least have it at maybe Med settings. I think the game looks very pretty. I do not need the fuss of like the shurbs and grass all around. And again bloom/shadows will be turned off right away. 
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @The_Laughing_Man It's risky. I have a high end PC and the game sometimes drops to 15 fps in super busy areas on high, but I can play every other game on high (if properly optimized) with no issues. I'd say maybe hop onto a friends account to try it out or wait for a free weekend? Or, hey, if you are going to buy it regardless just buy it now and if it doesn't work save it for later?
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @The_Laughing_Man It's risky. I have a high end PC and the game sometimes drops to 15 fps in super busy areas on high, but I can play every other game on high (if properly optimized) with no issues. I'd say maybe hop onto a friends account to try it out or wait for a free weekend? Or, hey, if you are going to buy it regardless just buy it now and if it doesn't work save it for later?
    Lol i have no one who would share their account. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.