Convince me to grab a copy of this game.

#1 Posted by TheeGravedigger (76 posts) -

I've been on the fence for a while now. I've got a great rig I put together for Diablo III, but for some reason that game just didn't hold my attention all that long. I've got Orcs Must Die 2, been playing that a fair bit and it's amusing but way too much grinding. I've got a WoW account with a MoP beta, and I've barely bothered to do much more than screw around for 20 minutes here and there. I just can't find something that really amuses me.

I've put in 120+ Ascensions in KoL, over a year of actual playtime on the Discworld Mud, and maybe I'm just burnt out on the online communities I keep running into. Both those games had great communities, KoL still does. How's the community on Guild Wars 2?

#2 Edited by Humanity (7937 posts) -

IF neither Diablo 3 nor WoW really hold your attention then I don't know if this will since it's a blend of the two, favoring WoW a bit more than Diablo. I'll let someone else gush over all the great stuff you can do - from my perspective it's your typical MMO-ish style game. The combat is not as involved as people might have you think. You will still spam quickbar utilities except now you should dodge once in a while when a bigger mob starts winding up for an AoE attack. Trash mobs don't really require much from you than pressing 1 and watching auto attack do it's thing. If you're a completionist then you can definitely get some great mileage out of visiting vistas and discovering new locations - for which you get a reward! The community is fine and since theres a lot of shared dynamic events and no kill stealing it feels very relaxed because you're always helping each other out.

#3 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1446 posts) -

To me the good thing about GW2 is that I occasionally get the MMO itch ... at that point I really feel like playing a mmo-ass mmo. But at the same time I don't want to pay a monthly fee just because I want to play this sort of game every 2 months for maybe 10 hours.

In that sense GW2 is perfect. I bought it, I got my account and when I feel like it I just jump in. In addition to that GW2 seems to actually be a very competent MMO with a couple of interesting mechanics and neat PVP (even though I didnt try that yet).

#4 Posted by MiniPato (2657 posts) -

As someone who doesn't typically enjoy MMO's, I've been enjoying Guild Wars 2. Well, I've got people to play with, so I don't have to mingle with randoms in the world. That said, playing with random people isn't bad. The worst behavior you'll see from players is them arguing about WoW in the chat. There isn't any kill stealing because you'll get credit as long as you damage the enemy. Random events crop up constantly so you can get exp easily. I've been having a good time with it.

I don't really play MMO's, so I don't know if that means anything. Maybe GW2 really is like your typical MMO and I just found the appeal of MMOs now. So maybe if you are burned out on MMO games don't get it? I really don't have a basis on which to judge GW2 in relation to other MMOs. Although I did not care for Diablo 3.

#5 Posted by TheeGravedigger (76 posts) -

After reading a bit more on their site and the wiki, I decided to get it. It seems like it'll be interesting from time to time without being too grindy.

Now I'm just waiting for the client to download. I'm guessing several hours, at the current rate.

#6 Posted by Humanity (7937 posts) -

@TheeGravedigger: It's around 16gb

#7 Posted by Castiel (2415 posts) -

Don't buy a racing errr I mean don't buy Guild Wars 2

#8 Posted by casper_ (882 posts) -

nahhhhhh

#9 Posted by MiniPato (2657 posts) -

@TheeGravedigger said:

After reading a bit more on their site and the wiki, I decided to get it. It seems like it'll be interesting from time to time without being too grindy.

Now I'm just waiting for the client to download. I'm guessing several hours, at the current rate.

Nevermind, the game sucks! DON'T BUY IT! GET A REFUND! NOW!

#10 Posted by EpicSteve (6433 posts) -

Yo man, you want another MMO?

#11 Posted by TheeGravedigger (76 posts) -

About 25% after an hour, so another 3 hours, roughly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.