facebook says: ANOTHER STRESS TEST

• 67 results
#1 Posted by silentdante (57 posts) -

We will be conducting a stress test on Thursday, August 9 from 12:00 Noon PACIFIC Time to 4:00 PM PACIFIC Time.

The stress test is open to anyone who has pre-purchased Guild Wars 2.

We will be actively working on the game during the event, so you might experience connectivity problems or discover features that are not working as designed. Any issues you experience are a result of the rigorous conditions of the stress test, and are in no way representative of the state of the game at launch. By participating in this stress test, you’re helping us make Guild Wars 2 a better game. Thanks for your cooperation—we’ll see you in-game! ~RB2

#2 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

Yeah just saw this, looks like they'll be doing weekly ones until release. I have to convince my friend to pre purchase GW2 now, so he can play tomorrow.

#3 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Great, time to mess around with the character creator for 4 hours.

#4 Posted by Mister_V (1437 posts) -

Yes! my first chance to play the game. 12:00 PST is 19:00 GMT right?

#5 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

@Mister_V: Yes, but I think we're still on BST so it'll be at 8. Don't quote me on that though.

#6 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

It would be nice if they could do some more of these for European time zones. I've still only been able to be there for one of the finale's.

#7 Posted by Xeirus (1375 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

haha, so true!

Though I'll be at work :(

Time for remote desktop to work it's magic!

#8 Posted by Mister_V (1437 posts) -

lol at the remote desktop comment. reminds me of when I tried to download and play the champions online beta on a Hotel wifi connection, One of the most harrowing experiences of my life.

#9 Posted by Subjugation (4743 posts) -

Good Guy Colin

"And YOU get a stress test and YOU get a stress test and YOU get a stress test! EVERYONE GETS STRESS TESTS!"

#10 Posted by UssjTrunks (533 posts) -
#11 Posted by Jack_Lafayette (3477 posts) -

I think they must be defining "stress test" as a test of how on-edge they can keep us until release.

#12 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

They put them on thursdays when I'm at training.

#13 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1478 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

This.

#14 Posted by Xyber (294 posts) -

@Mister_V said:

Yes! my first chance to play the game. 12:00 PST is 19:00 GMT right?

It will start at 20:00 in UK.

#15 Posted by Heltom92 (715 posts) -

So I only just pre purchased the game this week. Is there a way to save a character that you have created for launch?

#16 Posted by project343 (2838 posts) -

@Subjugation: Sigh. That smug face. Can't not love it, no matter how much Fire Elemental haunts our dreams.

#17 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

@Heltom92: Unfortunately no so you'll just have to do your best to recreate it at launch. Just trying out different professions might be best.

#18 Posted by TheHT (11829 posts) -

Sweet!

#19 Posted by Bollard (5870 posts) -

I CALLED IT. 10,000 NEW FILES = NEW STRESS TEST :D

#20 Posted by Mister_V (1437 posts) -

Indeed you did, well played.

#21 Posted by ajamafalous (12165 posts) -

How is character name uniqueness handled (one John Smith per server or one John Smith in all of GW2?) and when is the earliest I can start reserving names? 

Also, do we know yet how many free character slots everyone will get?

#22 Edited by UssjTrunks (533 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

How is character name uniqueness handled (one John Smith per server or one John Smith in all of GW2?) and when is the earliest I can start reserving names? Also, do we know yet how many free character slots everyone will get?

The names are reserved across the entire game.

You start with 5 character slots but you can buy up to 3 more if you want.

#23 Posted by shinboy630 (1194 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

I CALLED IT. 10,000 NEW FILES = NEW STRESS TEST :D

I'll give you credit, but for the record I never got a 10k file update after the last test. Just sayin'

#24 Posted by silentdante (57 posts) -

@shinboy630: really? i have had 3 updates to the client since the last stress test, i think the first was about 10k files then 2 more updates of about 10 files each but big files.

#25 Posted by UssjTrunks (533 posts) -

@silentdante said:

@shinboy630: really? i have had 3 updates to the client since the last stress test, i think the first was about 10k files then 2 more updates of about 10 files each but big files.

Looks like Anet doesn't want him in the stress test.

#26 Posted by shinboy630 (1194 posts) -

@silentdante: Yeah I never remember getting it. Maybe I did and I'm just going crazy, but I think I would remember downloading a patch that big.

#27 Posted by TheHT (11829 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

How is character name uniqueness handled (one John Smith per server or one John Smith in all of GW2?) and when is the earliest I can start reserving names? Also, do we know yet how many free character slots everyone will get?

One name in all of GW2. You could have reserved your GW1 name but not anymore. Earliest time to get your name locked in after that would be at the beginning of early-access on August 25th.

I believe you'll start with 5 character slots in the final game, same as in the beta. You can buy more with gems, which you can get by trading in-game gold for or purchase with real-world money.

#28 Posted by ajamafalous (12165 posts) -
@UssjTrunks@TheHT: Thanks guys. 

I guess another question I have: what's the dollar to gem conversion rate? Like, if my friends fuck up when picking a server and we want to WvW together, how much is it going to cost one of us to switch servers?
#29 Edited by shinboy630 (1194 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@UssjTrunks: @TheHT: Thanks guys. I guess another question I have: what's the dollar to gem conversion rate? Like, if my friends fuck up when picking a server and we want to WvW together, how much is it going to cost one of us to switch servers?

It depends. That conversion fluctuates depending on how many gems are being bought. There are more economic systems involved than that (that I do not know all the details of), but the long and short of it is that it changes depending on the economy.

#30 Posted by MrMazz (1036 posts) -

Hopefully I'll be able to log in this time and finally get to mess around with an Engineer

#31 Posted by ajamafalous (12165 posts) -
@shinboy630 said:

@ajamafalous said:

@UssjTrunks: @TheHT: Thanks guys. I guess another question I have: what's the dollar to gem conversion rate? Like, if my friends fuck up when picking a server and we want to WvW together, how much is it going to cost one of us to switch servers?

It depends. That conversion fluctuates depending on how many gems are being bought. There are more economic systems involved than that (that I do not know all the details of), but the long and short of it is that it changes depending on the economy.

Wait, the cash value fluctuates? I assume the cash value would stay the same but the gold value was based on supply and demand (as I'm assuming the market is set up in such a way that the only way gems enter the game world is through cash purchases).
#32 Edited by UssjTrunks (533 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@shinboy630 said:

@ajamafalous said:

Wait, the cash value fluctuates? I assume the cash value would stay the same but the gold value was based on supply and demand (as I'm assuming the market is set up in such a way that the only way gems enter the game world is through cash purchases).

You're right. The actual dollar prices will be fixed. It's the in-game gold value that will fluctuate.

IIRC correctly it was something like $20 USD to switch to a high population server (less for medium and low populations).

#33 Edited by shinboy630 (1194 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@shinboy630 said:

@ajamafalous said:

Yeah the cash value stays the same. What I meant was that if you wanted to buy gems with cash that amount is constant (and currently 800 gems for $10 US), but if you wanted to trade gold for gems that amount fluctuates. I misread "dollar to gem" as "gold to gem". My bad.

#34 Posted by ajamafalous (12165 posts) -
@UssjTrunks@shinboy630: No worries, thanks guys.
#35 Posted by TheHT (11829 posts) -

@ajamafalous: When you go to trade gold for gems it'll show you the exchange rate, so you won't have to dig around or anything. It's all really easy.

#36 Posted by Subjugation (4743 posts) -

@TheHT said:

@ajamafalous: When you go to trade gold for gems it'll show you the exchange rate, so you won't have to dig around or anything. It's all really easy.

Uh like-uh dis

Each tab has the market data on display. It's pretty useful for tracking the price over time, especially if you want to go all stock market on the economy and buy low/sell high and play the market. But is right, there is a box on each tab for typing in how much gold you want to trade in or how many gems you want to trade in and the game will tell you what you'll receive before you complete the transaction.

#37 Posted by Bollard (5870 posts) -

@shinboy630: @silentdante: Yeah I got 10k a while ago now, plus another 1000 I still haven't downloaded yet. Gotta get on that for tomorrow.

#38 Posted by Mageknight (124 posts) -

Hopefully all this stress testing means that the game's launch will be silky smooth.

#39 Posted by project343 (2838 posts) -

@MrMazz said:

Hopefully I'll be able to log in this time and finally get to mess around with an Engineer

One of us! One of us!

#40 Posted by Jack_Lafayette (3477 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@UssjTrunks: @shinboy630: No worries, thanks guys.

What they've said is true, but ArenaNet has also said there will be a short grace period after launch during which switching servers will be free.

And you should totally join up with Giant Bomb's official unofficial official guild, Lincoln Force. We'll be rolling on Yak's Bend.

#41 Posted by ajamafalous (12165 posts) -
@TheHT@Subjugation: Yeah, that's exactly how I thought it'd work. Same system that Spiral Knights uses.

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@ajamafalous said:

What they've said is true, but ArenaNet has also said there will be a short grace period after launch during which switching servers will be free.

And you should totally join up with Giant Bomb's official unofficial official guild, Lincoln Force. We'll be rolling on Yak's Bend.

I'd love to but like 15 people from the Mumble server I hang out on are playing, including three of my roommates, so I'm kinda beholden to what they pick (they're all huge on PvP so I know I'll want to be with them to WvWvW). I'll put in a good word for Yak's Bend, though.
#42 Posted by Jack_Lafayette (3477 posts) -

@ajamafalous: Alright, we'll be hoping to see you there. :)

#43 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -
@UssjTrunks
I just remembered how much I love this gif.
#44 Posted by Subjugation (4743 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@TheHT: @Subjugation: Yeah, that's exactly how I thought it'd work. Same system that Spiral Knights uses.

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@ajamafalous said:

I'd love to but like 15 people from the Mumble server I hang out on are playing, including three of my roommates, so I'm kinda beholden to what they pick (they're all huge on PvP so I know I'll want to be with them to WvWvW). I'll put in a good word for Yak's Bend, though.

Just sayin'

#45 Posted by TheHT (11829 posts) -

@ajamafalous: well even if you all join a different server, i think you could still play with GB folks in sPvP and PvE by guesting on Yak's Bend.

#46 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Fuck ya can finally put theory crafting into practice. Lets see how hard they fail!

#47 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1536 posts) -

YAY! If only I remembered where the hell I was.

#48 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -
#49 Posted by Heltom92 (715 posts) -

Opened up my GW2 client but now its installing a massive update. Don't know why but now I won't be able to play at all :(

#50 Posted by UssjTrunks (533 posts) -

@Heltom92 said:

Opened up my GW2 client but now its installing a massive update. Don't know why but now I won't be able to play at all :(

It's down anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.