First beta event announced

• 55 results
#1 Edited by Maystack (906 posts) -
#2 Posted by HadesTimes (804 posts) -

Thanks for the info. Considering how chatty Arena Net usually is; I'm surprised this isn't up everywhere.

#3 Posted by JustKamToo (684 posts) -

Ah shit now I've got to try and clear that weekend!

#4 Posted by Askherserenity (117 posts) -

YES! I can't wait :] Is everyone in the guild ready!?

#5 Posted by MrMazz (986 posts) -

YES now I just get to wait impatiently for the email saying to DL the client.

#6 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

The preview weekends for Guild Wars 1 are amongst my favorite gaming memories (and one of the few occassions I pulled a 48-hours gaming session - you only get one or two of those in your life). Looking forward to 'World vs World' sooo much. Try out all kinds of classes, learn WvW intricacies, avoid spoiling the PvE game. Fulltime PvP sounds like the perfect plan for me.

#7 Edited by Bollard (5598 posts) -

@Maystack: Aye hopefully my code will have come too, and there'll be enough time for a day to download the client...

@Seppli: Oh to not have exams starting less than a month after the beta weekend.

#8 Posted by project343 (2828 posts) -

@JustKamToo said:

Ah shit now I've got to try and clear that weekend!

Same exact thing went through my head. Time to give away my shifts to other coworkers. XD

#9 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

@Seppli said:

(and one of the few occassions I pulled a 48-hours gaming session - you only get one or two of those in your life).

Oh, how true that is. I still think I can make this my second, though. Maybe.

#10 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@Seppli said:

The preview weekends for Guild Wars 1 are amongst my favorite gaming memories (and one of the few occassions I pulled a 48-hours gaming session - you only get one or two of those in your life). Looking forward to 'World vs World' sooo much. Try out all kinds of classes, learn WvW intricacies, avoid spoiling the PvE game. Fulltime PvP sounds like the perfect plan for me.

I'm feeling the same way, I plan on mostly trying out the different professions and figuring out which I like best, since we're most likely going to be limited to 5 character slots (if not less).

I don't want to see too much of the story though, so WvW is really going to be the place to be. Hopefully we can get an idea of how our guild will function, we need to have a city wide guild dance party in Divinity's Reach. Maybe Gwen will show up for the finale again.. or at least her ghost.

#11 Posted by Nonused (216 posts) -

Wait, is this open? Or do I gotta pre-purchase the game?

#12 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@Nonused: Pre-purchasing gets you a beta key. They were also handing them out to people at PAX and certain websites have been holding competitions to win them, but don't expect that to be widespread. They want you to pre-purchase.

#13 Posted by Nonused (216 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: Damn. Guess I ain't beta-ing. Thanks for the response, though.

#14 Posted by Subjugation (4722 posts) -

This will likely be the first time all semester that I try to pull an all nighter. That is, if I let my poor judgment get the better of me. Only two weeks from finals as well.

#15 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Seppli said:

I'm feeling the same way, I plan on mostly trying out the different professions and figuring out which I like best, since we're most likely going to be limited to 5 character slots (if not less).

I don't want to see too much of the story though, so WvW is really going to be the place to be. Hopefully we can get an idea of how our guild will function, we need to have a city wide guild dance party in Divinity's Reach. Maybe Gwen will show up for the finale again.. or at least her ghost.

I heard about that 5 slot limitation, although I believe/hope that's per server and not overall. I guess it's inevitable that there's going to be some concessions to their business model. I'll just buy more slots if the game sticks with me, so much so, that I'm in need of more than five.

During beta, I guess I'll start out playing the classes I'm least likely to playing in full release. Too bad I kinda dig them all in videos.

I don't want to play Ranger, since I mained a Hunter in WoW and got my fill of the archetype. Then again, I'm afraid if I'm trying the Ranger in the beta, that I'll fall in love with the class and go with it. The problems I have...

#16 Posted by geirr (2581 posts) -

Awesome! Me and my wife have both pre-purchased, but we also have Tera pre-launch the 28th and we're both in the Mists of Pandaria beta.

Yikes.

#17 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

Awesome! I guess I have to start getting everything ready, like learning how to use Mumble for the guild server.

Sure hope it doesn't turn out to be super awkward!

#18 Posted by oldschool2112 (92 posts) -

@Seppli said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Seppli said:

I heard about that 5 slot limitation, although I believe/hope that's per server and not overall. I guess it's inevitable that there's going to be some concessions to their business model. I'll just buy more slots if the game sticks with me, so much so, that I'm in need of more than five.

During beta, I guess I'll start out playing the classes I'm least likely to playing in full release. Too bad I kinda dig them all in videos.

I don't want to play Ranger, since I mained a Hunter in WoW and got my fill of the archetype. Then again, I'm afraid if I'm trying the Ranger in the beta, that I'll fall in love with the class and go with it. The problems I have...

Might want to try out the different classes in the WvW area since you get all the weapon and skills unlocked there. Great place to really get a feel for how your class plays.

#19 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -
@Seppli: Just go with the furthest from what you'd play. I'm going to go engineer, which is really low on my list. I don't want to be bored of my class on launch.
#20 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@Seppli said:

Servers work pretty similar to how they did in GW1, basically being different "districts" you can swap between.. So again, character slots work the same way, they're worldwide. Hopping to a different server won't let you make more.

I'd still say it's a fair trade off for not having to pay a subscription though, plus thanks to the gem system, you'll be able to buy them with in-game gold.

@oldschool2112: Standard PVP gives you access to gear and skills on an even footing, WvW does not. It's designed to be unbalanced, although you get loot drops from participating and your skills and stats progress normally, so you could pretty much play nothing but WvW and never touch the PVE, if that sort of thing floats your boat.

#21 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: If they start making bigger/more WvW areas in expansions, that could get insane really quickly. I'm holding onto my dream of WvW eventually being fantasy Planetside.

#22 Posted by Raios (52 posts) -

Can't wait, as of now I should be free that entire weekend (knock on wood). No idea what I want to check out the most, so I guess I'll just stock up on beer and junk food and prepare for an all weekend marathon to do it all.

#23 Posted by RobbieMac (535 posts) -
@isnipeyoudie: You really think after a beta weekend you will be bored of a class...?
#24 Posted by Yehaw4Jihad (13 posts) -

If I havent pre ordered GW2 but opted for a Beta test...what do you guys think my chances are of getting in?

#25 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

@RobbieMac: It won't be just one though, it'll be that class every beta weekend until release. And even then, even if it is only for one weekend, I'd still rather not play my main until I know that everything I do on that character won't be wiped. It's also why I'm going to roll a Human, because I know I won't roll one in release (seeing as that would be boring considering how much time I spent as a human in GW1).

#26 Edited by Beaudacious (930 posts) -

I think i'm only gonna play structured pvp in beta, so i don't ruin the pve for myself until release. Plus structured gives you everything right away so i can get a better idea of what i want to play come release. I might sneak in one or two quests, but i really want to keep my pve cherry untouched for this game. With all the great secret nooks, and crannies, and multiple events i want that wanderlust intact.

Well hopefully if i can resist the temptation.

@Yehaw4Jihad: Apparently they sold way more pre-purchases then expected, one of the rumors for the pushed back beta. They also said if they continue to sell they might stop offering them due to capacity limits for beta. So unless you bought, got a code at pax, or already are part of beta, it seems things are really crowded. So in turn i'd say don't hold your breath, since sign ups are at the bottom of the barrel for candidates.

#27 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

Fuckin A! Can't wait!

I'm surprised that they are choosing to stop over GW1s anniversary, but fuck it - out with the old!

See yall there, and don't forget to add to the beta roster if you can.

#28 Posted by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@Seppli said:

The preview weekends for Guild Wars 1 are amongst my favorite gaming memories (and one of the few occassions I pulled a 48-hours gaming session - you only get one or two of those in your life).

Because you might die from exhaustion. :P

#29 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@Seppli said:

GW1 had a 4 character slot limitation IIRC. You will be able to buy extra character slots in the cash shop if you want. Expansion packs will likely give you extra slots as well.

You really won't have time to play more than 5 characters though.

#30 Posted by RVonE (4642 posts) -

So if that's the first beta event, where does that put the final release window for this game? It's going to be way past Diablo III, then, right?

#31 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@RVonE: June would be the absolute earliest, realistically. I don't expect it to be until later in the year, but we really don't know. The developers have been very tight lipped about everything.

#32 Posted by eldiax (632 posts) -

If I prepurchased GW2, will I be able to enter the beta? Or do only some of the people who prepurchased get in?

#33 Posted by RVonE (4642 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

@RVonE: June would be the absolute earliest, realistically. I don't expect it to be until later in the year, but we really don't know. The developers have been very tight lipped about everything.

Yeah, that seems sensible. It's just that lately they've been giving off this "anything can happen" vibe. But yeah, I think I'll hold off from pre-ordering if I can't be sure when the game lands.

#34 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

@eldiax: I think everyone that's pre-purchased will have access.

#35 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

Yes, everyone who pre-purchased gets access to the beta and the 3-day headstart.

#36 Posted by RobbieMac (535 posts) -
@RVonE: The way they have been wording the blogs it seems a release seems earlier rather than later.  I am assuming later this summer it will be released.
#37 Posted by Floppypants (798 posts) -

I'm going to be pissed if the game comes out any later than May. You don't ask people to pre-purchase and then sit on it until July. This isn't Kickstarter.

#38 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3335 posts) -

@Floppypants: I imagine the pre-purchase wasn't for additional funding so much as protection against people exploiting a simple pre-order to get beta access with essentially no commitment.

#39 Posted by Subjugation (4722 posts) -

@RobbieMac: I haven't been keeping up with the recent blogs. What are they saying that makes you lean toward early release?

#40 Posted by Beaudacious (930 posts) -

@Subjugation: I'd agree with Robbie the latest beta anoucement blog gives off an impression of sooner rather then later.

http://www.arena.net/blog/the-beta-weekend-event-is-coming

The last paragraph in particular is either trying to down play the idea of a prolonged beta or is describing another 1 or 2 events before launch. ( Btw its 1 beta per month.)

#41 Posted by JustKamToo (684 posts) -

April the 27th 8pm (GMT) 12pm PST = P

#42 Posted by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@Floppypants said:

I'm going to be pissed if the game comes out any later than May. You don't ask people to pre-purchase and then sit on it until July. This isn't Kickstarter.

Then it looks like you'll be pissed. :P

I wouldn't expect anything before late June.

#43 Posted by VinLieger (100 posts) -

Yeah im guessing mid to late june

#44 Edited by oldschool2112 (92 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

@oldschool2112: Standard PVP gives you access to gear and skills on an even footing, WvW does not. It's designed to be unbalanced, although you get loot drops from participating and your skills and stats progress normally, so you could pretty much play nothing but WvW and never touch the PVE, if that sort of thing floats your boat.

Ahhh good to know - thanks foir the clarification!

#45 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Really hoping ArenaNet is trying for a smooth beta experience, rather than a loopy stress test. Then again, I can imagine they've sold hunderds of thousands of pre-purchase copies... we might be in for a sticky situation this coming Friday.

#46 Posted by Bollard (5598 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:

@Floppypants said:

Then it looks like you'll be pissed. :P

I wouldn't expect anything before late June.

Good, because that's when my exams finish :P

#47 Posted by minotaka (320 posts) -

@pepsimaxofborg said:

Awesome! Me and my wife have both pre-purchased, but we also have Tera pre-launch the 28th and we're both in the Mists of Pandaria beta.

Yikes.

Now that folks, is love.

#48 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Worth pointing out for anyone who was able to download the previous beta client, if you run it now, it will update itself to the BWE version.

Presumably this will be going up on the website later today, but this lets you get a little bit of a headstart.

The forums are also semi-functional again.

#49 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

I registered my serial code, but I didn't get an email confirming it. I may have to contact support just to see what's up.

#50 Posted by Bollard (5598 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: How large was the original download?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.