Giant Bomb Guild - Name Change Suggestion Thread

• 132 results
#1 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2591 posts) -

Giant Bomb Guild - Name Change Suggestion Thread

Hey guys!

With the release date now revealed and being so soon, it's time to finally do all the things we said we'd be doing "closer to release". This thread is for you to suggest what you think the final guild name should be.

Currently, for those unaware, the name is Lincoln Force, chosen by vote over a year ago. We shall be following the same convention here - for the next couple of weeks, , and I will be monitoring this thread for suggestions, then we'll be running a vote with the top couple that people seem to support.

**Update**

After a some umming and ahhing, we've decided to keep the current guild name in place. It wasn't an easy call as some of the suggestions here were in fact bloody awesome - however, given the general consensus of our most regular members (see this page for example), and the success of our weekly podcast (named after the guild), a call was finally made on it. Sorry to those set on a new name, but be rest assured that if there is an Alliance system or another opportunity to use them, such fantastic suggestions as How I Met Your Mesmer [CBSi] and The Giant Bomb Theory [CBSi] will not be forgotten.

In any case, you can still have some say over where things go from here;

Check out the tag selection thread and weigh in!

#2 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Giant Bomb?

#3 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4702 posts) -

Can I vote even if I will probably never play Guild Wars 2?

#4 Posted by Giefcookie (611 posts) -

I like Lincoln Force. When suggesting a name you should remember that the thing people will see next to your character name is the abbreviated version, not the full guild name. So I think for example Lincoln Force would just be <LF>

#5 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2591 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: Haha, well it's a suggestions thread so why not?

#6 Posted by supamon (1334 posts) -

Hardcore Dwarfs?

#7 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

Looking at the other thread I apparently voted for Luchadeers. I've grown accustom to [LINC] now though, so I vote to keep that.

#8 Posted by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

I'm cool with Lincoln Force.

#9 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1478 posts) -

I'm down with Lincoln Force unless someone suggests something amazing.

#10 Posted by Grome (16 posts) -

I like Lincoln Force!

#11 Posted by UssjTrunks (533 posts) -

Lincoln Force. I think everyone is used to it by now.

#12 Posted by RobbieMac (535 posts) -

Lincoln Force was my 2nd fav a year ago, but now it has grown on me and I am happy with that being the final guild name.

#13 Posted by Toxeia (725 posts) -

I don't know enough about Guildwars to know if any Giant Bomb related things can be modified to fit into the game (a la "Kessler Run", "Good Luck Have Bothans", etc.) but it seems a shame if that's not possible.

If the guild tags are abbreviated versions of the name, how does it abbreviate them? First few letters, first letter of each word? If it's the latter, "Batman Batman Batman" would appear as BBB, like the Better Business Bureau. Knowing how that works would help though.

#14 Edited by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -

GiantBombDotCom

#15 Posted by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -

IGN R US

and be total dicks.

#16 Posted by Fattony12000 (7583 posts) -

Lincoln Force.

#17 Posted by Bollard (5870 posts) -

Lincoln FAWZ

#18 Posted by Monthenor (41 posts) -

"Lincoln Force" is awesome.

#19 Posted by Subjugation (4744 posts) -

[LINC] has grown on me, although I totally didn't vote in that old poll. Looking back at that gave me a good laugh when I saw "Horse Meet Rider". Let's not forget Lincoln Force has some awesome images as well.

However, if someone comes up with something truly amazing I wouldn't be opposed to entertaining the idea.

#20 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

Why not try The Kessler Run?

#21 Posted by RobbieMac (535 posts) -

@Toxeia: You get to choose it, 4 letters. So in beta we went with LINC

#22 Posted by Th3irdEye (261 posts) -

I think that the only thing that would come close to Lincoln Force is The Luchadeers. But Lincoln Force, with [LINC], is still way better.

#23 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

How about Big Jeffreys Fun Time Guild?

#24 Posted by Jack_Lafayette (3481 posts) -

I know I chose Luchadeers (Luchadeer?) in the initial poll, but I think it might be crazy at this point to ask everyone who has been referring to the guild as Lincoln Force for so many months to instantly make a cognitive switch.

By the way, [LF] is where I come down on the abbreviation.

#25 Posted by MrMazz (1037 posts) -

CBSi Presentst the GB Guild

#26 Edited by TheHT (11838 posts) -

Grand Flamekindlers [GBGW]

Bombadeeros [BMDS]

Ginat Booms [GNBS]

Kleptok Collective [KPCC]

Vinny's Raiders [VNRD]

Alliance of the Contemptuous Diamond [[<>]]

Los Luchadeeros [DEER]

Grounded Painterly Lobsters [~SNL]

Oscarius Mikarius [GOOO]

Giant Bomb's Official Guild Wars 2 Guild Sponsored By The Fine Folks of CBS Entertainment (not actually sponsored by CBS or any subsidiaries) [CBSi]

Big Jeffrey's Unionized Warriors of Tyria [BGJF]

#27 Posted by UssjTrunks (533 posts) -

Lol, some CBS thing is funny too.

#28 Posted by shinboy630 (1194 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

By the way, [LF] is where I come down on the abbreviation.

[LF] is leaps and bounds better than [LINC] so I agree.

For the record my GW1 guild was Wild Turtle Foundation [WTF] so I'll throw that out there. If we don't use it, I'll just make it anyway as a side guild for me and a few RL/GW1 friends.

#29 Edited by UssjTrunks (533 posts) -

@shinboy630: I don't know. Just two letters looks kind of lame. [LF] vs. [LINC]

If we can't decide, we should go with theHT's idea of a [CBSi] guild tag, but the guild name can remain Lincoln Force.

#30 Posted by Subjugation (4744 posts) -

I fall on the [LINC] side of the [LINC] vs. [LF] debate personally.

#31 Posted by Jack_Lafayette (3481 posts) -

But just say it out loud.

"Gentlemen. Tyria is in danger. Assemble the ell-eff."

#32 Edited by Th3irdEye (261 posts) -

I didn't think of the CBSi stuff. How long can guild names be? Because "Giant Bomb's Official Guild Wars 2 Guild Sponsored By The Fine Folks of CBS Entertainment (not actually sponsored by CBS or any subsidiaries) [CBSi]" that suggested is kind of amazing.

EDIT: if that is too long, then "Brought To You By CBSi [CBSi]" would be pretty cool too.

#33 Posted by konig_kei (670 posts) -

Otomedius Excellents.

#34 Posted by Beaudacious (936 posts) -

Lincon Force has gown on me as well.

#35 Posted by newhaap (440 posts) -

Hmmm... Something with Giant Bomb and Guild Wars... So... Giant Boars??

#36 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

@Subjugation: Yeah, [LINC] sounds and looks way better than [LF]. It's more pronounceable and more letters means more awesome.

#37 Posted by PeezMachine (233 posts) -

Not quite sure where "Lincoln Force" comes from (a vote, I know, but why Lincoln?) but I really like it (picture with bears sealed the deal). As much as I would love to throw in some sort of overt GB reference (like the ubiquitous luchadeer) I'm down to roll Lincs, as the kids say.

Lincoln Force [ABE] (but seriously, [LF} is preferable to [LINC])

#38 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

@PeezMachine: Lincoln Force is a reference to a podcast a couple of years ago where Ryan came up with a game starring Abraham Lincoln.

#39 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2591 posts) -

@PeezMachine: @Maystack:

Hah, yeah - It was a podcast where Rich Gallop was guesting (I'm pretty sure - though it could have been another game dev), and the crew came up with a video game they wanted to see. The meme was huge for a long time around here, to the point where GB had a limited edition t-shirt.

I actually own one of these - one of the better designs ever on the site.

#40 Posted by Matfei90 (1288 posts) -

Big Jeffrey's LARP Festival (BJLF)

#41 Posted by Jack_Lafayette (3481 posts) -

Alternatively, [JWBB]. For John Wilkes Booth's Brain.

#42 Posted by Grome (16 posts) -

for the abbreviation I prefer LINC vs LF

#43 Posted by shinboy630 (1194 posts) -

Seeing as a lot of people seem to like LINC over LF (although I cannot wrap my mind around why) I saw if we use LINC we at least have it not be in all caps. Something about [LINC] in caps in the in-game font looks odd to me, where as something like [Linc] might not look so bad. Just a suggestion. But for the record [LF] is still where it's at.

#44 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

@shinboy630: You're crazy. Even [LF] is better than [Linc].

#45 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I'm happy with Lincoln Force but I think the tag should simply be [BOMB].

#46 Posted by Ataribomb (97 posts) -

Though Lincoln Force is incredibly awesome, I can't help but want to throw my hat behind something Big Jeffrey related.

Also: [LF] > [Linc]

#47 Posted by shinboy630 (1194 posts) -

@Ataribomb: @Maystack: I agree that [LF] is better than [Linc], but I was saying that [Linc] is better than [LINC].

#48 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

@shinboy630: I agree that [LF] > [Linc], but [LINC] > [LF]

#49 Posted by TheHT (11838 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

Alternatively, [JWBB]. For John Wilkes Booth's Brain.

I support this. After all, they were supposed to be sidekicks.

#50 Posted by EnchantedEcho (740 posts) -

[CBS]

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.