GiantBomb EU Beta Server/World Selection [Poll]

#1 Posted by Beaudacious (926 posts) -

#2 Edited by Beaudacious (926 posts) -
#3 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

I'll be picking a US server to play on, methinks - so I wont be voting here.

I wonder what you guys end up with.

#4 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3157 posts) -

Even though I'm going US and thus not casting my vote here, I'm going to "subtly" influence this poll by advising you guys to pick the Jade Sea server. LUXONS FTW!

#5 Posted by Beaudacious (926 posts) -

I guess all the Euro's are still a sleep ?

#6 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

I was up at like 4am this morning, so I voted then. Was too tired to make a post though.

I voted for Elona Reach, because the crystal desert was such a big change from the previous areas, and I have fond memories of playing there.

#7 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
#8 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Fissure of Woe!

#9 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

To Fort Ranik, all the people in panic!

#10 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

I'd probably be happy with any server really. I'd just want to avoid the ones that are most likely to be jam packed. I.E. Sorrow's Furnace and Abaddon's Mouth.

#11 Posted by eldiax (632 posts) -

Don't have any real preference for the server, so I'll just go with the flow here.

#12 Posted by Mustachio (242 posts) -

Blacktide rolls off the tongue nicely, but I fear it'll just be packed. As long as we agree on one before Friday I'm down with whatever.

#13 Edited by Xyber (292 posts) -

@Mustachio said:

Blacktide rolls off the tongue nicely, but I fear it'll just be packed. As long as we agree on one before Friday I'm down with whatever.

Voted for Blacktide too. It would help if you could see what servers are getting the most votes to help you decide on a server instead of just picking a server with a cool name.

@Beaudacious: World guesting is not available in the beta, so we will not be able to jump in to another world unfortunately.

While home-world selection and world transfers will be available during our Beta Weekend Event, guesting is not currently available. All players will be able to receive 2,000 gems free for the Beta Weekend Event, so you will be able to purchase a world transfer if you find yourself in need of one.
#14 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

I'm in the EU, but plan on playing with the rest of the guild on the US servers. It's where the majority of the players will be, plus it means I can participate in WvW and earn the rewards from it.

If things get laggy, you can just hop over to an EU server for playing PVE and everything else.

#15 Posted by Mustachio (242 posts) -

Someone sent me this list of what groups are going where, so it might help us decide. I can't vouch for the validity of it, though.

Kodonur -
Gandara - GW2guru, (Futilez (PvP), (UK Guild x1)
Kodash - guildmag.com
Blacktide - (Russian Guilds x2) (Polish Guilds x2) (Dutch Guilds x2), 4Gamers.be, GoHa.ru, guildwars-2.ru, guildwars.pl, guildwars2.com.pl
Istan - (French Guilds x) MMORPG.com, Sweclockers, Ragnarok, Luna-Atra.fr, univers-virtuels.net
Vabbi - 4chan/vg/, mmorpg.pl
Kourna - gw2.fr
Fissure of Woe - (Italian Guilds), (Romanian Guilds), SomethingAwful
Underworld - (Portugese Guilds x4)
Ring of Fire - The Bulgarians (PvP), FACEPUNCH
Far Shiverpeaks - (Dutch Guilds x1) (Nordic Guilds x7), GW2nl.nl, guildwars2.no, gw2sverige.se, Guildwars2.dk, Ragnarok Of Primordus
Petrified Forest - Roleplaying
Jade Sea - NeoGAF
Desolation - Rockpapershotgun, PCGamer, (UK Guild x1)
Magus Falls - (German Guild x1)
Whiteside Ridge - (UK Guild x1), Reddit, GameTrailers
Fort Ranik - (French Guilds x6) (Dutch Guilds x1), gw2.variance.hu
Ruins of Surmia - (Spanish Guilds x3) Israel Community,
Sharp’s Corner - (Spanish Guilds x3)
Aurora Glade - (Spanish Guilds x3)
Riverside - Guild Wars 2 Slovenia
Elona Reach - (German) wartower.de (DE), gw2.onlinewelten.de, guild-wars-2.net
Augury Rock - (German Alt)
Abaddon’s Mouth - (German Alt)(Italian Guild x1)
#16 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

Blacktide because I had my closed beta char on that server. Here's to hoping it carries over. Also that server was pretty strong when it came to WvW.

#17 Posted by Xyber (292 posts) -

@Mustachio said:

Someone sent me this list of what groups are going where, so it might help us decide. I can't vouch for the validity of it, though.

Kodonur -
Kodash - guildmag.com
Blacktide - (Russian Guilds x2) (Polish Guilds x2) (Dutch Guilds x2), 4Gamers.be, GoHa.ru, guildwars-2.ru, guildwars.pl, guildwars2.com.pl
Istan - (French Guilds x) MMORPG.com, Sweclockers, Ragnarok, Luna-Atra.fr, univers-virtuels.net
Kourna - gw2.fr
Far Shiverpeaks - (Dutch Guilds x1) (Nordic Guilds x7), GW2nl.nl, guildwars2.no, gw2sverige.se, Guildwars2.dk, Ragnarok Of Primordus
Jade Sea - NeoGAF

I want to take back my vote for Blacktide now.. :O A bunch of non-english speaking guilds.

#18 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

I'm in the EU, but plan on playing with the rest of the guild on the US servers. It's where the majority of the players will be, plus it means I can participate in WvW and earn the rewards from it.

If things get laggy, you can just hop over to an EU server for playing PVE and everything else.

Wait, you can do that? I might try it out this weekend just to see how much lag there is. If it's bearable, then I'll just join the US server for full release. Should be moved into my new place by then so will have faster internet too.

#19 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@Maystack: http://www.arena.net/blog/choosing-and-transferring-worlds-in-guild-wars-2

You can "guest" on other servers as much as you like, but you won't be able to participate in WvW and the rewards from it will always come from your home server. So yeah, I'm thinking it'll be best to make your home server with the rest of the guild, but guest to an EU server if things get too hectic.

#20 Posted by Xyber (292 posts) -

@Maystack: Yes, you are allowed to play on whatever server you like. When the game is released you can pick your home server where you live and be a guest on a different server, you are allowed to do most stuff except WvW on the server you are a guest on.

#21 Posted by Bollard (5273 posts) -

Are we just choosing a random name we like? There's no ramifications to this right? Although I am tempted by Jade Sea so we can fight the evil NeoGaf...

@Maystack said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

Wait, you can do that? I might try it out this weekend just to see how much lag there is. If it's bearable, then I'll just join the US server for full release. Should be moved into my new place by then so will have faster internet too.

Won't this conflict with the region locked-ness of the game? I thought you had to be EU if you live in EU, but you can temporarily switch (and not do WvW).

#22 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: I was talking about making your home server in a different zone to your own. I just assumed I'd be forced to play in EU.

#23 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@Chavtheworld: @Maystack: The only region lock involves activating your serial key. If you bought the game in Europe, it has to be activated in Europe. That was basically to stop us from buying the game from somewhere in the US where it was much cheaper..

But actually playing the game doesn't work like that, you can play on and make your home server where ever you like.

#24 Posted by Bollard (5273 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: Are there definitely more US members then? We should get a message out so all the EU people know to make their homeworld on the US server. We can all transfer back to EU for free anyway in the beta if it sux, and then use whatever server this poll chooses.

#25 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

@Mustachio said:

Kodonur -
Kodash - guildmag.com
Kourna - gw2.fr
Jade Sea - NeoGAF

Looks like I'll be on the Far Shiverpeaks server. VIKING POWER!

#26 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

@Chavtheworld: From the looks of it there are way more US members.

#27 Posted by Bollard (5273 posts) -

@Maystack: Kewl.

#28 Posted by Beaudacious (926 posts) -

Ya you can set the US server as your home server for WvW.

#29 Posted by CornishRocker (397 posts) -

My vote's with Kodash, seems a little quieter than the Reddit/NeoGaf/4Chan worlds, plus the GuildMag lot are pretty cool.

#30 Posted by Beaudacious (926 posts) -

So whats the European decision? I'm scared to make a second poll since this thread has been slow.

Are you guys playing on the US HomeWorld for WvW?

#31 Posted by Mustachio (242 posts) -

I'll be going to the US server initially, but if it's too laggy I'll probably switch back to Desolation or something.

#32 Posted by Bollard (5273 posts) -

@Beaudacious: I'm gunna be joining whatever US server you guys pick to see how it goes. I'm not sure how accurate the BWE will be of lag issues from doing so, but it seems to make most sense not to split the duders. It is still useful to have a fallback EU server to migrate to if we want a lag free PvE environment for EU guys though, no?

#33 Posted by Beaudacious (926 posts) -

I don't know, the EU Community seems much more fractured, and i really have no idea what you guys want. A UK server shootout? Do you guys want to be on Italian/Romanian servers? German? Scandinavian? I'm out of my depth here, and i feel like most Euro's will go where they want to.. Set a roughly arbitrary community server?

#34 Posted by Xyber (292 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@Beaudacious: I'm gunna be joining whatever US server you guys pick to see how it goes. I'm not sure how accurate the BWE will be of lag issues from doing so, but it seems to make most sense not to split the duders. It is still useful to have a fallback EU server to migrate to if we want a lag free PvE environment for EU guys though, no?

Yeah, I will probably go with the US world too in the beta since I don't think I will be playing much PvP this weekend anyway. In the full game I will pick an EU server as a home server and just play as an guest on the US one.

As for our world in EU I guess Jade Sea and Desolation would be two good servers to pick from going by the list above. Not full of non-english speaking guilds.

#35 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

I was planning on going for whichever US home server is chosen. If I need to go back an EU one due to lag, I'll go to whichever one has the most duders, which looks like it'll be FoW.

#36 Posted by Bollard (5273 posts) -

@Xyber: @Maystack: Sounds good. I like the look of Jade Sea of NeoGAF are on there, or FoW has Something Awful, which should be funny at least.

#37 Posted by MannyCalavera (105 posts) -

I don't really know what to do. If i should choose the US server as my home or just play in European servers. Must decide quickly. By the way, i voted for Underworld, because some of my friends are going to play there, and then i noticed the 4 Portuguese Guilds there. And i don't think you guys want to go to a server with that many portuguese (although people who play this games speaks english too). What is your advice, guys? Go play with the US guild or stay here?

#38 Posted by Xyber (292 posts) -

@MannyCalavera: You will get enough gems to switch your home server one time during the beta. Go for the US one first and if it's too laggy just switch over to EU instead.

#39 Posted by Beaudacious (926 posts) -

So Fissure of Woe is the EU Server !!

#40 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

Not the worst name. I hardly ever went to FoW though, I was more of an UW guy.

#41 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1230 posts) -

I'll be going on Desolation with my (swedish) guild. That way we get RPS and PCG, both fairly mature and intelligent communities, and we don't have to go with the swedish and danish idiots that will hopefully be centralized around Shiverpeaks. I was one of those swetards on WoW launch at Shattered Hand, and I will kill someone if I see someone write swe?????? again. Hope to see y'all there!

#42 Posted by Bollard (5273 posts) -

@Beaudacious: Let the trolling commence!

#43 Posted by Cake (210 posts) -

Is it just me, or is the game running already...? I'm at the character creation screen

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.