GiantBomb Needs to Start Covering Guild Wars 2

#1 Posted by Jayzilla (2558 posts) -

Guild Wars 2 is shaping up to be a fantastic game. There isn't an aspect of it that has given me pause as to why I shouldn't play it yet, and I am skeptical by nature. The "Top Men" at Giant Bomb need to start covering this game. *Looks at Patrick*

#2 Posted by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -

They have expressed their excitement for it multiple times in the past, they saw it at Pax East and enjoyed what they saw. Its not like they haven't seen it, they just have other priorities. Its like Uncharted 3, they don't need to think about it too much because its quite likely it'll be a quality game.

#3 Posted by Nexas (625 posts) -

The game isn't out for a year. There is nothing to cover.

#4 Edited by Akrid (1356 posts) -

There's not much to cover until the game actually comes out.

#5 Posted by dagas (2792 posts) -

Why are people so obsessed about this game? I've heard plenty of people talk about it. I've not seen much of it but I played the Guild Wars 1 and apart from being free to play after the initial buying price it wasn't anything special. What is it that makes GW2 so special? Or are people just so exited about not paying a monthly fee that they get super exited just because of that?

#6 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

The game does look seriously amazing. It's exactly the MMO I've been waiting for and seems to be doing everything right. But there's not much to say about it at the moment that hasn't already been covered a thousand times. It seems we're still quite a while away from the game entering the beta and even further from release.. I'd expect coverage to pick up a bit closer to release.

#7 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

@dagas said:

Why are people so obsessed about this game? I've heard plenty of people talk about it. I've not seen much of it but I played the Guild Wars 1 and apart from being free to play after the initial buying price it wasn't anything special. What is it that makes GW2 so special? Or are people just so exited about not paying a monthly fee that they get super exited just because of that?

GW2 is an actual MMO, the first was not. It's also abandoning typical MMO trappings.. such as grinding, boring static battle systems, tedious "kill x amount of enemy" quests, the holy trinity, forcing you to play in groups, the lack of voice overs and proper fleshed out story/characters, etc.

Not having a monthly fee helps too.

Guild Wars 1 was popular because it actively tried to be the complete polar opposite of WoW. This time they're embracing the good qualities of MMO's, such as the size and amount of content.. but still getting rid of the stuff everybody hates.

#8 Posted by Jayzilla (2558 posts) -
@dagas said:

I've not seen much of it...

Therein lies the problem. Arena.net for so you can see what is really happening with this game. It is shaping up to be something very special.
#9 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3201 posts) -
@dagas said:

An outstanding video to answer your questions.
#10 Posted by Irvandus (2875 posts) -

Not much to cover on it at the moment.

#11 Posted by RobbieMac (534 posts) -

What is there to cover when the company developing the game is very tight lipped.  When a release date is announced and the game is around the corner they will start to cover it.  Also expect these forums to blow up as well.

#12 Edited by Troncek (254 posts) -

It would certainly be nice to hear more about GW2 from GB. There is already so much GW2 material out there it's crazy. Also, G4TV is getting behind the game pretty strong it seems. :)

#13 Posted by MemphisSlim (71 posts) -

Well, G4 and other outlets covered whatever press event ANet had last week and played about an hour's worth of gameplay. Otherwise, yeah, there might not be that much to cover until ComicCon and the big August rollouts. That doesn't mean we can't show that GB users want to see more coverage, though!

#14 Posted by Troncek (254 posts) -

So why wasn't GB invited to GW2 fanday press event that was one day eariler? :)

#15 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

GB and MMOs dont mix

#16 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

If they can get into the beta that will be at the end of the year...

#17 Posted by MemphisSlim (71 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:
GB and MMOs dont mix
Not necessarily! They did cover Warhammer, Matrix, DC Universe, and Star Trek Online.
#18 Posted by TooWalrus (13153 posts) -

Patrick is not one of the top men.

@MemphisSlim said:

@Rhaknar said:
GB and MMOs dont mix
Not necessarily! They did cover Warhammer, Matrix, DC Universe, and Star Trek Online.

And I'm sure they'll do a quick-look or two, just like with the other MMOs.

#19 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:

Patrick is not one of the top men.

@MemphisSlim said:

@Rhaknar said:
GB and MMOs dont mix

And I'm sure they'll do a quick-look or two, just like with the other MMOs.

this
#20 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

If Giantbomb did extensive coverage of every MMO in development that a handful of people swear is going to be the greatest thing ever I would delete my goddamn account.

#21 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4358 posts) -
@EuanDewar said:

They have expressed their excitement for it multiple times in the past, they saw it at Pax East and enjoyed what they saw. Its not like they haven't seen it, they just have other priorities. Its like Uncharted 3, they don't need to think about it too much because its quite likely it'll be a quality game.

Hit the nail on the head.
#22 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

A Quicklook EX would be supersexy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.