So ArenaNet/NCSoft announced a new class to their highly anticipated MMO, Guild Wars 2. The class is called "Guardian," and it looks like a blast to play. I took the liberty of embedding the videos of guardian gameplay they had on their page for your convenience. Here is a link to the Guardian Class page: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/guardian/
The Guardian The Guardian is an extremely devoted fighter who calls upon special abilities in battle to aid and protect his/her allies. The Guardian is a master tactician who knows when to sacrifice his own abilities to empower his allies in combat. Every Guardian is supported by an array of passive abilities that grant the Guardian benefits. The Guardian may choose to sacrifice these abilities in order to grant them to his/her teammates in combat, which makes the Guardian an excellent supportive member of any group. This ability comes in especially handy when leading a battle charge or protecting your parties flanks. These passive abilities are called "Virtues". Each Guardian has three virtues that are Courage, Justice, and Resolve. Each of these unique virtues carries with it a unique "buff" that will effect the Guardian or the Guardian's party, depending on how the Guardian chooses to use the virtue.
Special Skill TypesThe Guardian profession will have a multitude of skills, some that have been unveiled are listed below.
- Wards - A ward is a marked area on which enemies cannot move, but allies can. The guardian may drop down a ward to allow a retreat or a regroup, and the enemies will not be able to interfere.
- Spirit Weapons - A spirit weapon can be summoned by a Guardian to aid him/her in battle. The spirit weapon will aid the Guardian in combat for a limited time, acting as a companion.
- Symbols - A symbol is dropped by the Guardian on specific place to do damage to enemies or aid allies in battle. Different symbols will have different effects when dropped.
- Aegis - An aegis is a removable boon that has the ability to block incoming attacks. This is accessed through the Virtue of Courage.
The Guardian will have access to three different virtues, that he/she may access at any time to aid in battle or to aid the party. They are listed below.
- Courage - Every 30 seconds you are granted Aegis which blocks the next incoming attack, may also be used on party.
- Justice - Every fifth attack causes burning, may be used on party.
- Resolve - Regenerate health, may be used on party.
A Guardian will be able to utilize a number of weapons in combat. They are listed below.
- Main Hand - Sword, Scepter, Mace
- Off Hand - Focus, Torch, Shield
- Two-Handed - Hammer, Greatsword, Staff
I've always been a fan of the Mace/Shield combo, and now I get to use that equipment while shooting glowy energy balls and giant energy beams?! Sign me up!
This just may be my main class if they don't announce something absolutely irresistible.
(All the info I got was from the Wiki here, so thanks for that.)