Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Guild PvP Build Discussion / Help Thread

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Guild PvP Build Discussion / Help Thread

Hey all!

I'd be great if for now we can have a thread for ongoing build discussions. Ask about whatever professions you want, and we'll pool our knowledge to help eachother get better at building out their characters and learn the do's and don'ts.

It'd be good if guys who have PvPed a bit thus far can pitch in what they've enjoyed rolling with and why. I'll probably collect links to the finished builds in this OP (when builds get finished) along with any good quotes.

Don't worry if what you have tried isn't optimal, that is what this thread is for.

Collected Builds

I'm tossing around the idea of attributing an arbitrary sliding-scale rating for Direct Damage, Condition Damage, Survivability and Support values (out of 10) for each build posted. So if you see "| 10 | 1 | 5 | 1 |" they'll be in that order. (I'll be making this up as I go along and adjust them with time - they aren't scientific, but they should give newer guys a hand)

Elementalist:

Guardian:

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Questions, Answers and Quotes

Q: About toughness...

@Lolzowned said:

So, I've been reading up on the Toughness vs Vitality thread on GW2Guru and someone said that 2000 toughness was gonna be mandatory for Competitive Spvp.

Now, I can't remember whether or not he was referring to specific class or not, I'm hoping that's what it was because some of my builds don't even come close.

In two of my builds, I have under 1000 toughness, (Power Mesmer and Condition Engineer) While my condition Ranger is just under 2000 Toughness. Which makes me think that you either can't have a general number for everyone, or it needs to be lower than that.

So basically, I'm just wondering what people's opinions are about the must have Toughness rating, either for each profession itself, or as general number for every profession?

Answer:

What they are referring to is the damage formula, which is along the lines of (Enemy Damage Potential) / Total Toughness = Damage. (there's a formula for the damage potential, but it's shaky at the moment)

"Total Toughness", or "total armour" or just "armour" is actually class armour + your character's toughness, which is 916 base (independent of class) at lvl80. Class armour values are as follows;

Light: 937 (Ele, Necro, Mesmer)

Medium: 1084 (Ranger, Thief, Engineer)

Heavy: 1231 (Warrior, Guardian)

Which means, your base Total Armour is

Light: 1853

Medium: 2000

Heavy: 2147

As it stands, I would agree that you kindof need 2000 total armour for any decent build. Warrior and Necro have a bit of leeway as they start with the highest health, so you can afford to absorb some damage that way, but - for example - my current build crit's Dourin's elementalist (which has 2098 armour) for 7200, which is like half of his health in 1 hit (on my Eviscerate).

ED: Oh, and needless to say, the more armour the better - but not at the sacrifice of too much damage. Damage scales better than armour - so if you max everything out and get to approx 3300 total armour, and I max everything out and hit 2200 power, 1900 precision and 50 prowess (crit damage), I will actually out-damage you on a stat-level. This is disregarding healing, how glassy I am and skill of play.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Maystack

This will be a great read for me, as I'm terrible at crafting my own builds for PvP. I'm alright for PvE because then it doesn't matter as much if I suck.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

--------------------------(v moved here v)--------------------------

Yay! Sticky! Okay - I encourage future posters to follow my example below to some extent (not the exact format, but rather the formatting - keep your headings to a minimum and your big verbage inside spoiler tags).

I'm going to re-post my thread from GW2 Guru's Warrior forums here because this is now my favourite build ever.

After rolling with it for the entire stress test today through PUGs against guild members and multiple tournaments, I'm happy to post the most successful warrior build I have played yet (in terms of balanced damage / time to kill and survivability). I won't claim it as my own as I am sure others have theory crafted something similar, but I wanted to get the word out there as to just how powerful this combination is.

(Updated after 23/08 stress test)

My Main Melee Build (Axe+Warhorn / Sword+Shield)

Unimpressive looking, right? But try it out, I encourage you.

Playstyle Notes - Role: Direct damage in groups, secondary roamer

• The damage of this setup is through the roof - mainly erring on the side of sustained damage rather than pure burst. To give you some round-about numbers, when saving my Signet of Rage for "oh crap" moments (so with just 3 stacks of might) I would be hitting most targets for within the range of 1300-2300 per swing of my axe on a crit depending on their armour. To clarify, yes, that is up to 3 instances of 1800 damage on a triple chop against a medium armour target, such as most rangers and thieves. That said, Eviscerate (the burst skill on the Axe) can hit for 7200+.
    • The self and group healing/support for this build is pretty cool too
      1. You have Mending (your main self-heal) which is on a 25s cooldown and removes Immobilise, Chill, Cripple and Weakness + 2 other conditions
      2. You have 2 shouts on 20s cooldowns, "For Great Justice!" buffs your damage, removes 1 condition and stacks with itself, and "Shake It Off!" which breaks Stun and removes 2 conditions. Each shout also gives you 8 strikes of adrenaline (you need 30 to fill to maximum), so using two at the start of the match immediately puts you up to 1 bar (10 strikes for each bar) and upps your critical chance by 2%.
      3. Every time you use a shout you also heal yourself and those around you for about 1100 and the condition removal + buffs apply to them as well
      4. You have "Charge" on the warhorn which removes Immobilise, Chill and Cripple. This has a 20s cooldown.
      5. You have Balanced Stance which breaks control effects and gives you 8 seconds of immunity to control effects on a 40s cooldown.
    • The build can be played in either of the two weapon sets as a primary. I generally prefer the axe/warhorn for the anti-movement-control, high swiftness uptime and silly large damage - but if your target is slippery, staying in sword is frequently a valid tactical choice.
    • The Shield is invaluable, but Eviscerate is the burst you want to use - so prepare to be swapping between the sets near constantly for maximum effect during combat. This is aided by the -5s weapon swap cooldown minor trait, making the cooldown itself only 5 seconds. You also gain 5 adrenaline (1/6 of your maximum) for weapon swapping.
    • Most engagements roll the same way;
      1. Start in sword/shield and close the distance, then cripple
      2. Wait for the burst -> shield block
      3. Switch to axe/warhorn, get swiftness up
      4. DPS them out.
      It's really that simple and - as is the way of the warrior class, apparently - very, very effective.
    • I hadn't noted this before, but with the +10% revive speed minor trait and healing shouts, you can consistently resurrect people faster than the enemy can stomp them so long as you get there in time. A well placed shield charge (something I'm still working on to be honest) and activating balanced stance almost guarantees a clutch rez.
    • Use your environment effectively. I could manage being about 90-95% as fast as my guild's dagger elementalist by choosing the right place to leap from with Savage Leap, and using my Warhorn / Sig.Rage well.
    • In addition, this is a melee-only spec, so standing at the bottom of a pillar your enemy is on top of is a bad idea. REALLY get to know your environment and how to get places in a timely fashion.

Matchups:

• Poor against brick wall specs. This is a build for taking on 80% of the people you meet, not the 1/5 of their team which is specced purely brick wall. That said, it isn't a 100% loss - you can last as long as they can if you play it safe (so if you're keeping him active outside his point, you can do so for as long as it takes your team to get there). In addition, I actually killed a couple of brick wall mesmers, necromancers and yes, other warriors (hammer / shouts / clerics by the look of it) when given a long enough time.
    • Excellent against everything else with two big exceptions.
    • No problems with:
      - Until the 23/08 stress test I'd never been beaten by an ele. Dourin, however, has rectified that - we were 50/50 win/loss and pretty closely matched in skill (for better or worse : P)
      - Other warriors. Except one of my guildies who is a pretty good hundred blades, not a single one beat me in a 1v1 (including other guilds' hundred blades dudes - and, sigh, versus pugs I won a couple of 1v2s as well)
      - Against balanced or glass cannon guardians it's up to skill and chance
      - Engineers weren't an issue, it seems like the pistol bleed duration nurf helped a bunch and otherwise the build has a lot of anti-control and conditions
      - Necromancers were in the same boat as engineers, though I suspect I did not meet a good direct damage necro
      - Rangers; Direct Damage and Hybrid was up to skill, Conditions was usually a win for me.
      - Mesmers... well, I don't think I met any good Mesmers today. I hope.
    • Two absolute no-joke hard counters to this build:
      - Insta-wins; Thieve's Guild and Moa Morph (though running away while in moa totally works)
      - The Big One: I could not win if a Thief brings the caltrops-on-dodge trait and is specced for a lot of dodge. Man, I just can't do anything against this - no idea how to counter it either. I met 3 thieves who did this and it was incredibly frustrating.

Notes:

• Tested: The Soldier's Rune set does in fact make For Great Justice remove a condition from your allies and Shake It Off remove 2. I can confirm this as we did some very clear, controlled tests (NPCs etc). I, for one, can respect the range nurf on warrior shouts for this trade-off.
    • Heightened Focus can be replaced with Mobile Strikes, though I only had a problem with being immobility-locked well beyond my condition removal twice all day.

Anyway,

@Maystack said:

This will be a great read for me, as I'm terrible at crafting my own builds for PvP. I'm alright for PvE because then it doesn't matter as much if I suck.

Yeah, I hope we can make this thread grow nicely - especially since GW2guru closed their build discussion threads.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Bollard

@selfconfessedcynic So are you asking us to do a lengthy detailed post, then you will culminate just the link to the builds in the OP with ratings? I presume that's what you're aiming for. Also I will edit when I have time to write descriptions for my builds.

Minion Master Necromancer: | 6 | 7 | 9 | 2 |

• Rule No. 1, always make sure your minions are up. They serve as the best kind of distraction and steal life for you. Even if you are in combat, if one comes off cooldown use that first. Most of the time surviving longer than the other person is easier than doing more damage than them.
    • This build focuses all its traits on buffing minions, as well as increasing bleed length and having a lot of life steal. As such it's hard to die 1v1.
    • This in turn makes it fantastic at holding points. The minions alone can deter most enemies and the sheer survivability keeps the enemy from taking your point for as long as possible.
    • General play tips:
      You want to start with the staff every time. It has a ranged attack and the marks can apply a bleed (most important) as well as other conditions and damage before the enemy arrives at a point.
      I use marks to block entry points to a flag, even when there are no enemies. If enemies turn up fast marks can take too long to place, so get them there early. If you're against a melee enemy you can just place them under your feet cause then your opponent can't avoid them.
      Marks have a very long cooldown however, so once they're used up, it's all about the axe. Axes have insane DPS - and as Necro, insane range too. Skill 2. Ghastly Claws does terrible terrible damage. Use Unholy Feast when surrounded by enemies exclusively.
      The dagger is pretty much mainly useful for the large AOE bleed on 5, but it has a long cast time before it actually initiates, so be careful with moving targets.
    • Death Shroud - I generally use this as my escape or last minute survival spell. It effectively gives you a shield for a while where you no longer take damage to health, and I chose the trait that makes you move faster while in it too so that it can be used to flee. If you have backup though you can hang around and continue to out survive the enemy for a bit longer.
    • Lastly, minion abilites. I have yet to work out how best to use these, but especially potent are the Flesh Golem charge which does a good lump of damage (and seems to knock enemies back a bit?) and the Bone Fiend Rigor Mortis, which is a reasonably long immobilise. Best to use that when you have allies around to apply the deeeeeps. Sometimes it's hard to tell if a minion ability will affect the enemy, as the minions are small and hard to spot if they're in range.

Greatsword Warrior DPS Build: | 9 | 1 | 7 | 4 |

• Ultimate 1v1 kill combo:
      Start with greatsword -
      7. Bulls Charge - to close gap and knock down opponent for ~2 seconds
      *consider popping 8. Frenzy to increase the speed of Hundred Blades*
      2. Hundred Blades - whilst they are downed, will hit for nearly 4000 guaranteed
      Switch to axe -
      2. Cyclone Blade - to apply vulnerability for 8 seconds
      F1. Eviscerate - should easily have full bar by now, should hit around 6000
      3. Throw Axe - to cripple enemy to stop them getting away
      1. Chop - now you chop them till they die - autoattack to death :D
      (Switch back to Greatsword if they start to escape, use 4. Blade Trail to do good damage and Cripple again, and 5. Rush to reach them for melee once more)
    • Great things about this build:
      You have two invulnerabilities - Endure Pain and Shield block. Use them when in trouble.
      You have the escaping power of a god - Bulls Charge, Rush and Whirlwind attack all can be cast when targeting nothing. If you untarget an enemy by clicking a blank space on the screen and pressing tab, they will cast in a straight line, allowing you to flee effectively. Great for distracting enemy teams who get tunnel visioned on a kill.
      Similarly, you have the chasing power of a god. No-one should escape you.
      Remember - Endure Pain breaks stun. I always forget.
      Auto attacks with the axe do anywhere between 700 and 1000+ damage. Hammering 1 can win - especially with good use of invuln.
    • Things to look out for:
      Whatever damn build Lyzbyth was running that could just absorb Hundred Blades.

@selfconfessedcynic: The greatsword build isn't mine! I found it from like BWE2 or something. Also updated my two builds here now. Feel free to adjust the ratings.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chavtheworld said:

@selfconfessedcynic So are you asking us to do a lengthy detailed post, then you will culminate just the link to the builds in the OP with ratings? I presume that's what you're aiming for. Also I will edit when I have time to write descriptions for my builds.

Yup! and after people write up their posts we can give feedback etc and I'll update the link in the OP for the new versions.

The posts don't have to be too lengthy, I'm just a little crazy (though I don't mind if y'all go crazy too)

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Bollard

@selfconfessedcynic: Well, I'll never be able to match your detail because I just don't know as much about how Guild Wars 2 actually works haha :P But I'll add some tips on how I play that make the build work for me.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Maystack

Okay I'm bored, so I thought I'd attempt to make a build. Keep in mind that my knowledge on the subject of theory crafting is pretty much at zero. The sigil/rune section in particular is probably lacking because I know nothing about which ones are the best.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fYQQNAV4YlUmKP3cy4E+5Ex2DfKUey9wpKtpdFwKA;TsAg0CnowxgjAHLOOck4sqYQwODA

I based this off the build I used when I did a few matches of sPvP. The point is pretty much just to hit and run. Use bow when you have distance, but once within stabbing distance go to knives. I found myself relying on the bow's 5 skill a lot to get out of risky situations. You also have a few options for crippling when you need to either get away or close the distance. Let's see, bow's good for quick AoE condition spread also. For the traits I just made stealth and signets better. Hopefully with stealth buffed like that it'll mean that hitting 6 means an escape is possible the majority of time.

I only played a few matches with this build but managed to have a pretty good KD for all of them. But that might have just been me high tailing it out of there as soon as things started to look dicey.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By shinboy630

This thread getting stickied over the roster one makes me a sad panda.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Maystack said:

Okay I'm bored, so I thought I'd attempt to make a build. Keep in mind that my knowledge on the subject of theory crafting is pretty much at zero. The sigil/rune section in particular is probably lacking because I know nothing about which ones are the best.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fYQQNAV4YlUmKP3cy4E+5Ex2DfKUey9wpKtpdFwKA;TsAg0CnowxgjAHLOOck4sqYQwODA

I based this off the build I used when I did a few matches of sPvP. The point is pretty much just to hit and run. Use bow when you have distance, but once within stabbing distance go to knives. I found myself relying on the bow's 5 skill a lot to get out of risky situations. You also have a few options for crippling when you need to either get away or close the distance. Let's see, bow's good for quick AoE condition spread also. For the traits I just made stealth and signets better. Hopefully with stealth buffed like that it'll mean that hitting 6 means an escape is possible the majority of time.

I only played a few matches with this build but managed to have a pretty good KD for all of them. But that might have just been me high tailing it out of there as soon as things started to look dicey.

If you want to hit and run, then let's see if we optimise for your style of play. The usual way thieves roll is when they are in melee range, they spam Heart Seeker, which is 3 initiative and does more damage the lower the enemy's health is. The problem with that is when you're done you're sitting at 0 initiative and have no real escape plan (especially when someone blocks all your heart seekers). What I suggest is you move from passive defence, which seems to be the weakest type in this game (so regen when in stealth, for example) to active defence, stay with being a ranged attacker (more efficient for the initiative expense) and have a couple of "oh fuck" skills which can win you fights without spending any initiative and allows you to get away when you want to.

Also, you probably need more vitality.

Taking from the thieves which gave me the most trouble, try out this build;

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fYQQNAV6YlUmCNneS3E9JFymiK8n4P4UeF+qeGXV8B;TsAg0CnowxgjAHLOOck4sEZ8xmAA

According to my excel sheet, your average passive bonuses to damage are the same if not higher, but you'll also have the ability to might stack to some extent, boosting your damage even further. Ranged does less damage than melee, but is much safer and harder to deal with (in fact, if you run this build like I see thieves run similar, then melee will never be able to touch you anyway - so it'll be ranged versus ranged in any difficult fight you are involved in, and they aren't too hard at all to take down).

What has changed? Well, a lot really - but aside from my suggested move to pistol (you don't have to do this for the build at all, you can run with whatever, keeping the sigils etc the same);

• Moved some conditional damage bonuses based on enemy health to conditional damage bonuses which compliment your playstyle (+10% damage when your endurance is not full, which should be at all times).
    • You now gain might when you dodge, remove cripple and weakness from yourself when you dodge, leave behind caltrops when you dodge and most importantly, gain some endurance back after every dodge and gain half your endurance back when you swap to your 2nd weapon set (so the move from passive defences to active defences). Also, if you evade something by dodging you gain swiftness.
    • Because of all of that active defence built into your traits you can move your utilities to something more badass. I pretty much put in the most powerful utilities available to thieves (aside from maybe the poison venom, though it is good as it slows down enemy healing - to be used when they hit about 60% health and will presumably try to heal).
    • So now when you're in a fight instead of spamming your dagger skills, you can stay at range, summon a thief to help you out and instead of having the (okay) dagger storm elite, you now have the frankly OP Thieve's Guild elite, which can be stacked with the Ambush trap to have 3 summoned thieves with you when you need to fucking kill the shit out of something.
    • Oh, and now you have 17555 health instead of 15kish, which is always nice.
    Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Benny

Mesmer all rounder build:

Thisis the build I used most of the time playing Mesmer to crank out a lot of burst damage and be survivable also (it does suffer a bit the longer a fight draws out.)

I'll usually open with the staff, starting by summoning the 3 and 2 skill illusions, then wait for the opponent to come into melee range if they're a melee profession, or casting range for a ranged class before popping chaos armor and putting a chaos storm either at their feet or mine depending on whether they are melee or ranged.

This opening flurry gives a lot of boons and conditions for both players and can disrupt various opening gambits that a lot of classes will employ (I'm thinking specifically those thieves that apply 3 different poisons before starting their assault.)

Chaos storm often causes fear, and can sometimes be used to interrupt an enemy reviving or finishing. Gotta rely on luck though.

Then it's all about the sword / pistol. I'll generally immediately summon the illusionary duelist to start piling on the pressure. Bleeds are applied when illusions crit, and a 60% chance on my own crits so the damage can start to ramp up early on. I'll use blurred frenzy to deal damage and to avoid it, since it gives 2s of invulnerability as well as the damage it deals.

The problem with blurred frenzy is that you are rooted when channeling it so you either have to use:

Sword skill 3 (summons a clone which cripples, you can then activate the skill again to trade places with this clone and immobilize your foe for 2 seconds)

Pistol skill 5 (2 second stun, can also bounce to other targets, dazing target 2 for 2secs and blinding target 3 for 5 secs)

Utility skill signet of domination (2 second stun)

These are all long enough on their own for blurred frenzy's full duration and can relieve the pressure of high damage burst classes, giving you time to summon a duelist, cast a heal etc.

Shattering clones is key, and shattering nearby clones with this build gives vigor, which lets you dodge more, and every time you dodge you summon a clone. Shattering a clone heals for around 1250 each IIRC and does a similar amount of damage with mind wrack. Shattering 3 clones with distortion gives 3 seconds of invulnerability, combined with blurred frenzy is 5 seconds of invulnerability which is nice when under pressure.

The utility mirror images is used to get out of stuns and knockdowns and can gives a few vital seconds to reset yourself and re-summon more powerful illusions. The 2 clones can be quickly shattered too if required.

Null field removes all conditions from allies and all boons from foes. This neutralizes some strong buff skills such as the the warrior elite signet and their shouts and can stop a necro from gaining too much momentum.

Finally the Moa elite, probably due a nerf to be honest since it counters all enemy elites, for example an enemy elementalist that uses tornado can be moa morphed. They waste their elite for nothing and you take them out of the action for 10 seconds.

I'll often use the moa elite to even the odds against 2 opponents, instantly moa morphing the more defensive opponent and going to work on the other. I feel this is when it really shines as it can sometimes give you the chance to win 2 v 1.

It can also be used 1 v 1 and it makes for an easy kill against any enemy. The 3 minute cooldown makes it even more user-friendly

Balance changes may affect this build slightly so experiment for yourself with traits n stuff.

I'm also toying with this way more glass-cannon-esque build. Way more damage for phantasms and shorter cooldown for them too. Almost +50% crit damage.

Mesmer confusion build:

I also tested this confusion build and there are a few out there but the one I used makes use of the traits 'Confusing Enchantments' 'Dazzling Glamours' and 'Blinding Befuddlement'

Basically, every Glamour skill (portal entre/exunt ,null field & feeback) that your opponent enters or exits gives the enemy 1 stack of blind and 2 stacks of confusion, Any form of shatter confuses as well, not just cry of frustration. Finally the weapon skills scepter 2 & 3, torch 4 & 5 and pistol 5 skill either blind or confuse to some degree, and since blinds cause confusion thanks to traits, they can all be relied on to maintain stacks of confusion.

I didn't get a chance to test it in much competitive PvP but I think you can reliably apply confusion stacks that deal at least 177.5 damage per stack, and might boons now increase condition damage so this number will probably be much higher. I have to imagine that melee classes would die a horrible death to this build.

edit: The pistol 5 skill and phantasmal duelist are both combo finishers that when shot through null field and feedback, combo for confusion bolts, adding yet more stacks of confusion.

Guardian offensive build:

This build converted me to Guardian after having played many hours of Mesmer. It uses the extremely annoying hammer of wisdom that knocks down every third hit it does and can be commanded to do another knockdown every 15 seconds too. You then have to maintain burning on your opponent for a large damage increase and let the awesome weapon skills do the rest. Need to do more testing.

Guardian balanced sPvP build:

I got a lot of it from another website and haven't been able to test or tweak it. I think it looks ok though. The bubble you make when reviving allies is fucking incredible though as you need stability or you get knocked back when walking into it.
    A slight variation of this build.
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinboy630 said:

I requested for this thread to be stickied - the roster one is only useful for another 3 days, and it's staying bumped anyway. Plus, we have a roster in the guild thread >_>

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Maystack

@selfconfessedcynic: As always, you give some great feedback. I always prefer passive defense rather than active because it means I have less things to keep track of. I should get into the habit of having more useful skills rather than just being lazy. I chose dagger over pistol because that's what I'm used to. Plus, I love the dagger off hand skills. Pistol + dagger looks to be a great combo.

I chose the spinning dagger elite because it had a lot more info and I was confused as to what the thieves guild one does. Do the thieves just behave like minions?

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By shinboy630
    @selfconfessedcynic

@shinboy630 said:

I requested for this thread to be stickied - the roster one is only useful for another 3 days, and it's staying bumped anyway. Plus, we have a roster in the guild thread >_>

I dunno, something just bothered me about having a PvP thread stickied when the other stickies are much more important to the guild as a whole imo. Whatever, it's no biggie. We still need our own forums so we can set up subforums!
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Maystack said:

@selfconfessedcynic: As always, you give some great feedback. I always prefer passive defense rather than active because it means I have less things to keep track of. I should get into the habit of having more useful skills rather than just being lazy. I chose dagger over pistol because that's what I'm used to. Plus, I love the dagger off hand skills. Pistol + dagger looks to be a great combo.

I chose the spinning dagger elite because it had a lot more info and I was confused as to what the thieves guild one does. Do the thieves just behave like minions?

Yup. Well, they appear out of nowhere, stay with you when you move (I think they just ignore you when you stealth, so they don't give you away or anything) and other than that, they chase your target to the ends of the earth.

But yes, I've recently moved from passive to active defence myself - in other games the benefits of active aren't as largely superior to those of passives like they are in GW2. It's kindof crazy really. But yeah, I'd say try this out and see how you like it - looking at how the thieves who used something similar pwned my ass, I'll bet it's mighty fun kiting fools all day.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinboy630 said:

@selfconfessedcynic

@shinboy630 said:

I dunno, something just bothered me about having a PvP thread stickied when the other stickies are much more important to the guild as a whole imo. Whatever, it's no biggie. We still need our own forums so we can set up subforums!

I actually kindof want you and noob to set up a Dungeon Runnerz thread or something similar to discuss PvE builds and comps. But again, that'll probably come when/if we get our own forums - if not, we'll sort something out.

Either way I want to see your crazy class biases in action.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Damn it. I hate writing, so I guess this post just serves as an example of how much I've been digging sPvP. Also, I'm gonna copy your structure wholesale. :P

Burn it to the Ground (Scepter/Dagger Elementalist)

Off the top of my head (feel free to re-evaluate this, Cynic):

• Direct Damage - 7
    • Condition Damage - 7
    • Survivability - 6
    • Group Support - 2
    Playstyle (primary roamer, secondary skirmisher):
    Match-ups:  
    Oh, wow, that took way too long.
    UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By UssjTrunks

Control Freak - Rifle Warrior - PvP

• Direct Damage - 7
    • Condition Damage - 1
    • Survivability - 7
    • Group Support - 6 (it provides lots of offensive support through CC)

http://www.gw2build.com/builds/control-freak-rifle-build-warrior-rifle-control-mobility-3929.html

How To:

Rifle:

1. Always open up with "aimed shot" for the cripple and 1-sec immobilize. As soon as your target comes into 1200 range, use it.

2. Follow this up with a volley.

3. Keep applying pressure with brutal shot + auto attacks.

4. When enemy gets into melee range, "rifle butt" or "kick" them away (try to save "fear me" for group situations and emergencies).

5. If you don't have a KB off of cooldown, use "throw bolas" to immobilize your target, giving you time move away and/or fire off a volley.

6. Fire off another volley at this point (it should be off CD).

7. Rinse and repeat.

Burst: Try to stay away from killshot. Only use it when your target is completely under control and all of their blocks are on CD. You can also use it on fleeing targets or targets that don't see you casting.

Axe:

1. Swap will activate sigil of hydromancy, chilling your foe for 3s and giving you ample time to use "eviscerate". I have dropped sigil of intelligence due to the recent sigil changes. I find the control from hydromancy to be more useful than the guaranteed crit (you can no longer use both).

2. Keep up pressure with auto-attack if weapon swap is on CD.

3. Use "throw axe" for some ranged control (especially on fleeing foes) for the cripple and 1s immobilize.

Burst: Use Eviscerate as often as possible. If your target is low on health, and you only have 1 or 2 bars of adrenaline, use it anyway. Because eviscerate is an instant-cast skill, you should try to cast it in conjunction with your weapon swap. This will won't give your opponent time to recognize your intentions and dodge.

Elite: Use rampage to clear and/or hold capture points. Your survivability increases exponentially and you get 4 new control skills to work with on short CDs. You might want to use it just for the stability sometimes (i.e. for finishing off a key target).

Note: Feel free to swap out "fear me" for another utility. The 80s CD limits its use quite a bit.

Note: This build is a direct damage build. Don't worry about buffing condition damage at all.

Role and Match-Ups:

- This build can work as a harasser. It is best used in team settings of 2v2+.

- Damage output is quite average (for a warrior), so 1v1s against tanky classes (warriors, guardians, necros) may result in an unfavourable outcome. Classes with lots of stability will also pose trouble. Generally, you should be able to hold your own in a 1v1, but don't expect to dominate.

- Being able to provide offensive support damage at a safe range while being able to stay at that range thanks to CC and mobility is your strength.

- Your CC skills also allow you to control key targets (i.e. 100B warriors) so that your team can focus fire them.

- Swiftness and Vigor from warhorn both apply for 12s duration on 16s CDs, thus giving this build excellent mobility. Warhorn also buffs teammates (I'm not sure if it removes conditions from them as well with the trait "quick breathing").

Healing and Condition Removal:

Healing:

- Mending (25s CD)

- Adrenal Health (regeneration every 3s based on adrenaline level)

Condition Removal:

- Mending: Removes two conditions when used

- Warhorn skills: both skills convert one condition into a boon (that means you have 2 condition removals every 16s)

- "Charge" (warhorn skill) also removes chill, immobilize, and cripple, in addition to another condition.

Notes: The in-game armour for this build is 2437 not 2337 as the builder suggests, I'm not sure why there is a discrepancy.

I have a pretty sweet guardian build too that I used during BWE1&2, but I haven't tested it with any of the recent changes (there have been a lot) so I'll post that after release.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ED: - You kidding me GB Editor? You lost my notes? Argh.

- that spec is actually really good, way better than I'd thought when you first described it. Just some notes;

• Your ratings are about right - direct damage is a bit lower, condition damage is correct (though not for the reasons you have noted) and your support is actually potentially much higher (upping your damage through rotation as I state below will allow you to spend more time in water etc and DPS just as well).
    • Reading through your playstyle notes, and looking at your stats I think there's something you're missing that will drastically increase your potential. Earth Magic's auto-attack. Your stats are 1000+ power and 1000+ condition damage, which means earth's auto attack is the most damaging thing in your build (by a significant margin compared to anything in fire). Why? Well, for one your +damage to burning targets? That transfers to all of your attunements : D
    • Start in fire, inflict the burning auto-attack a couple of times, flame tooth, switch to earth and start auto-attacking, hit signet of fire to extend the duration of burning and keep stacking the bleeds. After that you'll be averaging 7 stacks of bleeds considering misses, so over 660/second from bleeding + the damage of the autoattack and during the burn that's another 300+/second and the burning itself is 595/s. Rinse and repeat. If it's a squishy target, you can let the burning drift out until the signet comes out of recharge, use it, switch to Air, ride the lightning, switch to fire, flame grab and that's your burst for the build as well.
    • Once you start truly attunement dancing, which takes over 100 hours to get used to by some estimates, you'll be a force to be reckoned with and that's why I increased the "support" rating by a bunch because you'll eventually be dealing more damage than you did yesterday WHILE doing way more in terms of enemy control, blinds, and general support.

The ele is such an awesome, versitile class. Oh, and the above will overwhelm any enemy's condition removal (as you can stack burning + bleeding so quickly it's ridiculous). Oh, and if they do have a bunch of condition removal? THEN you stay in fire and nuke 'em out with direct damage fire spells. Also, when against a group fire is better than earth as you probably already know (at that point consider dancing between fire and water for the vulerability, aoes, etc on very low cooldowns).

@UssjTrunks: Nice! added to the OP. I think you do a bit more support than I do if you're bringing Rampage and have a bunch of immobilise, so I'll bump it to 6.

- I'll have to read up on those to get a feel for them.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@selfconfessedcynic: I had a feeling I wasn't using Earth to it's full effectiveness. Thanks for the advice, duder!

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chavtheworld: A guy on GW2 Guru wants to know your hundred blades warrior spec as you're still the only one that's beaten my melee build : P

Get on it!

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@selfconfessedcynic: I had a feeling I wasn't using Earth to it's full effectiveness. Thanks for the advice, duder!

NP. I can't wait to see how you do next time we get a chance to play.

silentdante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By silentdante

ok i will post my ranger build i have been using, i dont know the scores it would get. i am not sure what type of build it is other then conditions, meaning would i be good as roaming, point holding or what.

The Build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fMEQNAnYVjEVx11VaWs2BiVBB1ekp+jJ2DD5oHlyLySaLA;TsAg1Cqo0yolQLrWOtkatqYUx8DA

Ok first of the main idea of the build started out as a condition damage build, stacking bleeds fast and other conditions not as fast but so they are there to hopefully be removed first before the bleeds from condition removal. with this thought in mind, the weapons i chose are the Axe/Dagger, the axe/dagger is great because it is range 900 (except skill 4) and has conditions like crazy. the axe one skill ricochets and with my crit raiting at 62% and the sigil of earth stacking a bleed 60% on a crit, i can put bleeds on multiple people, also if i hit either 75% health or have sharpening stone up, i stack a bleed anyway. the 2 skill is a fan of 5 axe's that also stack bleed, and if i am close enough that an opponent gets hit by multiple blades it stacks multiple bleeds. the 3 skill is a great chill condition shot. skill 4 is a close range dodge and poison stike, so i dont often hit it, but if someone is close it's a nice dodge and condition. and skill 5 is great because it cripples and stacks 3 bleeds at once.

My second weapon is the shortbow, also good for some conditions and nice range which is 1200. I chose this as my second weapon because the 1 skill or auto attack stacks bleeds if i hit from the side or back, and fires VERY fast (though not a ton of damage, it can crit often hopefully stacking more bleeds from the sigil or earth). the second skill is sort of like the axe skill 2 but this time it fans out poison arrow shots. the third skill is a great dodge back shot that grants swiftness so if someone gets close i can get away. skill 4 applies a bleed and a cripple, so that helps to stack the bleeds and keep people away. the skill 5 is a good daze shot, or stun if i am behind (i rarely am though).

the skills i went with are healing spring, which heals me ok, but places down an AOE that grants regen to everyone and also perodicly removes a condition, not sure if that includes me or is only allies the way the tooltip reads. the regen is nice because you can run out, attack some run back in and regain the regen buff (3 seconds or so) i dont have much in healing so it's not huge but maybe an extra 3-5 thousand. i take two traps next, the spike trap which applies a bleed (3 stacks) and a cripple, and the flame trap which of course applies burning. i took a talent that makes the traps rechard faster and also be ground targeted and bigger in AOE size. i already covered sharpening stone but basicaly it makes my next 5 attacks apply a bleed. my elite skill i have changed recently because i notice that against more competant foes, entangle was usualy wasted because they just mist out or tele/shadow out or hit stability, so i have now gone with rampage as one which gives me stability, fury, and swftness for 20seconds (a lot in my opinion) and when i attack my pet gets might and when my pet attacks i gain might (which also lists 20 seconds though i am not sure if it stacks for each attack). so i think that will help out a bit more vs mesmers and guardians, or the damn 100 blades warrior thing where they use bull charge or whatever keeps knocking me down and then hitting that combo. plus with my power at 2395, the extra might wont hurt, and the fury makes my crit 82% so bleeds should stack even faster.

the talents i took are: Marksmanship 10p: (III) a sharpening stone auto cast on me when i hit 75% health (more DOTS) and my first attack in a fight does vulnerability. Skirmashing 30p: (II) (VIII) (XI) and the passives giving me fury and swiftness on weapon swap (more crit, MORE DOTS) and 10% more damage while flanking, not entirely useful to me but hey i cant choose it :-p. the (II) trait says it is a chance to cause bleed on crit, but it doesn't say what the chance is so... why not. (VIII) is the trait that makes the traps i have bigger and ground targetable. (XI) is the 20% fatser trap recharge with longer conditions. last i went with Wilderness Survival 30p: (III) (VIII) (XI) the passives here giving endurance regen +50%, gain protection on dodge roll, and 5% extra damage above 90% health (not often, haha). this trait line was a little harder to choose, but i know i wanted a lot in the line because it is condition damage. for (III) i decided on incoming disables are transfered to my pet (every 90 seconds cooldown) which hopefully helps me avoid knockdowns and other guardian/mesmer crap. (VIII) is a gain regen when hit with damage condition, which i chose over what i used to have (survival skills recharge faster) because i only had one survival skill now instead of two. lastly (XI) pets periodically take conditions from me, again no clue how often, but otherwise i dont really have condition removal (unless the heal does work on me too) so i figured i needed this to try and help vs other condition builds (which are all the rage right now i think).

because of the almost hybrid power/condition way i was going for ( a lot more condition then power though) i did not take the rune of undead, the 10% of toughness i think is 63 points, so i went with a little more power and survivability and took the rune of adventure. with this i get 100 condition 35 power, and on heal (which i use a lot) i get 100% endurance. i like to dodge a lot. i am very open on debate of which armour rune i should go for, cause i just didn't know here. as far as amulet, i went with rampager/rampager which is how the crit % is so high but also gives good condition damage and small power (and some VIT).

lastely i decided to go with Cynic and take the poison pets, one being the merrelow bear (self targeted poison AOE) and then the carrion devourer (a ranged AOE poison). i might also switch one of those up for the hawk,depending on if i feel like i should have more bleed effects, the F2 power of the hawk is a 6 second cooldown bleed attack. i think with the recent testing i can stack bleeds fast enough that having two pets with poison works out better, since i only have 1 attack that does poison.

so at the end, i would say i went for some ok power, a lot but not most condition damage, and very slight survivability. attack: 2395 Crit. chance 62% Armor 2280 Health 18372.

-silentdante

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By RobbieMac
    @selfconfessedcynic said:

@shinboy630 said:

@selfconfessedcynic

@shinboy630 said:

I actually kindof want you and noob to set up a Dungeon Runnerz thread or something similar to discuss PvE builds and comps. But again, that'll probably come when/if we get our own forums - if not, we'll sort something out.

Does this mean I can make a WvW tactic thread with large scale maps showing ways of attack and weapon placement... God WvW is the best!
    shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shinboy630
    @RobbieMac

@shinboy630 said:

@selfconfessedcynic

@shinboy630 said:

Does this mean I can make a WvW tactic thread with large scale maps showing ways of attack and weapon placement... God WvW is the best!
    Call me crazy, but between PvE, sPvP, and WvW, WvW is a distant third on my list of what I'm looking forward to.
    Ragnarok512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ragnarok512

@shinboy630: You're crazy. Basically all the PvP builds I'm working on are for WvW. That said, I didn't get much of a chance to try sPvP, so maybe that'll change after release.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Benny

@Ragnarok512: Be sure to include the falling damage traits, they're almost specifically for WvW.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question time!

@Lolzowned said:

So, I've been reading up on the Toughness vs Vitality thread on GW2Guru and someone said that 2000 toughness was gonna be mandatory for Competitive Spvp.

Now, I can't remember whether or not he was referring to specific class or not, I'm hoping that's what it was because some of my builds don't even come close.

In two of my builds, I have under 1000 toughness, (Power Mesmer and Condition Engineer) While my condition Ranger is just under 2000 Toughness. Which makes me think that you either can't have a general number for everyone, or it needs to be lower than that.

So basically, I'm just wondering what people's opinions are about the must have Toughness rating, either for each profession itself, or as general number for every profession?

Answer:

What they are referring to is the damage formula, which is along the lines of (Enemy Damage Potential) / Total Toughness = Damage. (there's a formula for the damage potential, but it's shaky at the moment)

"Total Toughness", or "total armour" or just "armour" is actually class armour + your character's toughness, which is 916 base (independent of class) at lvl80. Class armour values are as follows;

Light: 937 (Ele, Necro, Mesmer)

Medium: 1084 (Ranger, Thief, Engineer)

Heavy: 1231 (Warrior, Guardian)

Which means, your base Total Armour is

Light: 1853

Medium: 2000

Heavy: 2147

As it stands, I would agree that you kindof need 2000 total armour for any decent build. Warrior and Necro have a bit of leeway as they start with the highest health, so you can afford to absorb some damage that way, but - for example - my current build crit's Dourin's elementalist (which has 2098 armour) for 7200, which is like half of his health in 1 hit (on my Eviscerate).

ED: Oh, and needless to say, the more armour the better - but not at the sacrifice of too much damage. Damage scales better than armour - so if you max everything out and get to approx 3300 total armour, and I max everything out and hit 2200 power, 1900 precision and 50 prowess (crit damage), I will actually out-damage you on a stat-level. This is disregarding healing, how glassy I am and skill of play.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, I can't really judge your Mesmer builds because mesmers have had some significant trait changes since you made them.

For example, in the Duelist line, Blade training is now Tier 1, Sharper Images is now a minor trait instead of a major (minor trait for tier 2 duelling) and there are now a bunch of traits which reduce the cooldowns of mesmer weapon skills, all of which are good (that I'm sure you'll have to consider when re-building).

These changes are not in that character maker, sadly - I don't think they're in any of them (except maybe GW2DB but that isn't worth nuffin' as it doesn't have gear that I can see).

ED: Okay, I think everything is on there now.

- do you have an engineer build for us? You're one of our few engineers and seem to know what you're about : P

- wanna do a writeup for your ele?

Also, who was playing Lzybyth again? I started to know him as Lyzbyth, hah.

aterangelus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By aterangelus

Here is my brick wall guardian build. As long as I am not fighting multiple people with burst builds I am very hard to kill.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fUEQRAse5elYgSDHHSEEm4ESWBDE7BHRgV01DIaiaIA;TABA1ytEaJ1S1kiJKbM2IsxajzGpNrCGCsFYWA

I feel that the build is kinda self explanatory and is meant to be unkillable. I just kinda stand there heal through all of the damage that is done to me while I slowly kill my opponent or wait for help. During the stress test the build was fine until I fought more than 2 people with high burst damage at one time. Maybe you guys can see something I am missing.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aterangelus said:

Here is my brick wall guardian build. As long as I am not fighting multiple people with burst builds I am very hard to kill.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fUEQRAse5elYgSDHHSEEm4ESWBDE7BHRgV01DIaiaIA;TABA1ytEaJ1S1kiJKbM2IsxajzGpNrCGCsFYWA

I feel that the build is kinda self explanatory and is meant to be unkillable. I just kinda stand there heal through all of the damage that is done to me while I slowly kill my opponent or wait for help. During the stress test the build was fine until I fought more than 2 people with high burst damage at one time. Maybe you guys can see something I am missing.

There we go! Sup. Man, you need an easier to say name.

Okay, looked at the build - aside from the fact that you can only have 1 accessory on a PvP character (so the stats are artificially inflated there), I'd only suggest a couple of changes;

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fUEQRAse5elYgSDHHSEEm4ESWBWC7BHRgV01DIaiaIA;TwAA1CtosxYjwGrNObk2sKYUwOkZIA

Switched up your sigils slightly, removed the dud accessories and changed 1 trait - 3s retaliation on disable to Spirit Weapons Last 50% longer (because hammer is still rigged).

Thoughts? (leeching sigils steal 1000 life when you swap to them, which is great combat advantage material).

aterangelus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By aterangelus

@selfconfessedcynic: Yeah I know!

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aterangelus: Check mah editz! (see edited post above)

aterangelus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By aterangelus

@selfconfessedcynic: I like the changes and was thinking about the leech rune. I just did not know how much health it took.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aterangelus said:

@selfconfessedcynic: I like the changes and was thinking about the leech rune. I just did not know how much health it took.

Yay - I'll add it to the OP.

Any guardians out there have any critiques? It seems fine to me, but there may be some more tweaking to do. ?

Tarkhein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Tarkhein

It's pretty good, essentially very similar to what I created as a guardian variant to Taugrims' Captain Hammer. I prefer the use of more control over more damage on a defensive setup, but to each his own. The use of a spirit weapon is something I probably should have iterated into the defensive guardian earlier, but never bothered to do. The only glaring thing I can see is that you chose Honor VI - Pure of Heart (Aegis heals on removal) as a major trait; the last time I tried using this, the heal was very weak despite the fact that Aegis is hard to come by (once every 40s on your build). While that may have been changed, I believe it is better served with Honor X - Writ of the Merciful (Symbols heal allies). The Mace can apply a symbol every 8s and (at last check) it heals for far more than the other major trait, it seems the better choice, though it does nothing for you while wielding the sword.

For comparison, this is my v1 Guardian variant to the Captain Hammer:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fUAQJASWlYgSD3GSOEm4EhVBCi9QjZ8jXPgYEbIA;ToAA1CtosxYjwGrNObk2sAZAC

ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36  Edited By ChillyUK7

New Guild Wars player (pretty new to mmo's as well) so could someone give me some tips (or direct me to a useful guide) on the best way to set up combat for a warrior? I'm having a bit of trouble selecting my attacks all while moving/strafing and dodging.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By UssjTrunks

@ChillyUK7 said:

New Guild Wars player (pretty new to mmo's as well) so could someone give me some tips (or direct me to a useful guide) on the best way to set up combat for a warrior? I'm having a bit of trouble selecting my attacks all while moving/strafing and dodging.

Timing is crucial on the warrior, so you might want to start on a slightly slower class first, like the guardian (that's how I did it). You'll get better with practice though. If keybinds are an issue, you might want to look at an MMO mouse (Naga, Hex, G600, M90). I'm also new to MMOs, so this casting/moving at the same time took some time to get used to (GW1, the only other MMO I had played before, was a lot slower paced). But again, all I can say is just give it some time.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hoping to bring some new builds in here as I ramp back up into PvP later this week.

I'll be posting updates to my build and probably my rifle build and a hammer build (all for Warrior, because, uno, that where it's at for me).

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By UssjTrunks

I'm hoping to bring some new builds in here as I ramp back up into PvP later this week.

I'll be posting updates to my build and probably my rifle build and a hammer build (all for Warrior, because, uno, that where it's at for me).

Can't wait to get some tournies going with you guys. I've done a few with randoms over the past few days and have been quite successful. Rolling with an actual, organized team with voice chat should be a cake walk.

Bahloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bahloo

Always ready to go.

I may add one or two Ele builds. Got some pretty decent Staff and S/D stuff going on at the moment,

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mikeeegeee

Thief Build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fYMQRAoY6alUm6NHcy5E95Ex2je+TiyzwoI1/AZB;TwAg0CnowxgjwKLOOck4sEZUymgZGA

+Focus on daggers

+Constantly in stealth

+Huge focus on backstab crits

+Almost bottomless supply of initiative

Admittedly, I've only played about 5 hours of sPVP. An Elementalist friend and I skyped when I rolled with this build and we completely destroyed the other teams. I didn't take a lot of time to flesh out the runes/sigils with this link here because the build and dual dagger setup is the important part. During any particular fight, I spent about half of the time in stealth. Each backstab comes in at at least 5k. Going against everyone except Necros and Guardians was easy mode. Because of the reliance on stealth (with the sigil for refreshed endurance for 4x dodge roll), you can easily get away if things get too nasty.

I should note that there is a cooldown on stealth for single target. This may be basic knowledge to you, but, In other words, you can't spam stealth skills back to back. There's something like a 2-3 second window where the target becomes immune to stealth after being stealthed. During that window, throw down a Death Blossom to bleed them, throw down another or a Heart Seeker, and by that time you're ready to pop back into stealth for a backstab. Rinse. Repeat.

-----------

Looking ahead, the Trait that really intrigues me is Assassin's Reward in Acrobatics Tier II: "Heal yourself whenever you use a skill that uses initiative. Heal yourself for each point of initiative spent." If you could do the bottomless initiative build above with that... you could get some pretty damn good life regeneration. I'll test it out sometime soon.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikeeegeee: Hmm...

I'm going to have to look at this a bit more to get my head around it. I'll add it to the OP some time later today.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikeeegeee said:

Thief Build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fYMQRAoY6alUm6NHcy5E95Ex2je+TiyzwoI1/AZB;TwAg0CnowxgjwKLOOck4sEZUymgZGA

Righto, so only a couple of things I'd suggest;

• The bug where sigils all share the same internal cooldown is still in the game, so purity and battle don't synergise, as if purity triggers, you won't be able to get the benefit from battle for 10s (and since it's a proc with a cooldown, you can't really trust it too much). In addition, battle only gives you 105 power for 20 seconds (so +5.7% damage) when activated, which can be stripped or taken from you, compared to Force (static +5% damage) which doesn't have any synergy problems as it's static and cannot be stripped. Those are some options.
      I would actually suggest Air + Accuracy on the daggers (it calcs in at about +8-10% damage over time) and Force + Accuracy on the pistols. I just don't like purity, though sometimes it CAN save your life.
      Why accuracy? I've found that 60% crit chance is somewhat of a breaking point, it may be my perception, but meh. It seems to really feel like you're critting most of the time when you hit 60.
    • I would totally pick up the full Eagle set rather than taking 25 precision on your helm. 5% damage is way more than it sounds like, and if you take Accuracies you can afford to lose some precision.
    • Just for reference, I should note that this build isn't for tournament play as it's way too glassy - but it'd be hella fun in PUGs, even with the nurf to Heartseeker.

My suggestions;

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fYMQRAoY6alUm6NHcy5E95Ex2je+TiyzwoI1/AZB;TwAg0CnowxgjAHLOOck4sKYQxmgJBA

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.