Guild Wars 2, 25% off!

#1 Edited by Xeirus (1334 posts) -

Hey all, just got GW2 off of Green Man Gaming for less than $45, thought I would share.

Go to GreenManGaming.com and use the code PCGMR-ALLIN-GREEN

Edit: link where I found the deal PCGamer

Edit2: It looks like they have removed the game from their website? Weird

Edit3: The game is back on there and the code still works for now!

#2 Posted by punxotani (17 posts) -

Dang I wish I didn't see this thread. Already purchased it... Fantastic find though.

#3 Posted by shinboy630 (1162 posts) -

This applies to any and all of their downloads, so you can get anything, including upcoming games like Darksiders II and Borderlands 2 with this deal. Just informing the people!

#4 Posted by MikkaQ (10317 posts) -

That's a pretty good deal, thanks. Too bad I found out just how broke I am.

#5 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

I picked up Borderlands 2 for $37.50 today on GMG too. They have really good deals on digital versions of games pre-release. It's awesome.

#6 Posted by ajamafalous (12031 posts) -

Does GMG use a separate launcher to download and update everything? If I buy GW2 through it, would I need to start the GMG .exe every time I wanted to play GW2?

#7 Posted by CatsAkimbo (635 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

Does GMG use a separate launcher to download and update everything? If I buy GW2 through it, would I need to start the GMG .exe every time I wanted to play GW2?

I've never bought from GMG, but on the product page it says what's below, so I don't think there's any separate executable:

Customer notes

North American edition. The code included with this pre-purchase is redeemable at: https://register.guildwars2.com. This title does not use Capsule.

#8 Posted by ajamafalous (12031 posts) -
@CatsAkimbo said:

@ajamafalous said:

I've never bought from GMG, but on the product page it says what's below, so I don't think there's any separate executable:

Customer notes

North American edition. The code included with this pre-purchase is redeemable at: https://register.guildwars2.com. This title does not use Capsule.

Yeah, I read that after I posted it. Seems that Capsule is their launcher, and that GW2 doesn't use Capsule (i.e. they just give you a key with the purchase).
#9 Edited by Turkalurch (198 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@CatsAkimbo said:

@ajamafalous said:

Customer notes

Yeah, I read that after I posted it. Seems that Capsule is their launcher, and that GW2 doesn't use Capsule (i.e. they just give you a key with the purchase).

Yea being an online game, the key is tied to your account, not a game client, so you can play it on any machine that has a GW2 client installed on it.

But back to the main point, I am tearing myself apart deciding whether or not to take advantage of this because I'm not a fan of using anything other than Steam for the main reason of keeping all my digital games in one library. Somebody help me!

#10 Edited by CatsAkimbo (635 posts) -

@Turkalurch said:

@ajamafalous said:

@CatsAkimbo said:

@ajamafalous said:

Customer notes

Yea being an online game, the key is tied to your account, not a game client, so you can play it on any machine that has a GW2 client installed on it.

But back to the main point, I am tearing myself apart deciding whether or not to take advantage of this because I'm not a fan of using anything other than Steam for the main reason of keeping all my digital games in one library. Somebody help me!

I just got home and bought it, and here are some reasons to go for it.

• 15 dollars off the normal version
  • It's not available on steam right now, assuming it comes to steam later (just an assumption) you won't get the preorder bonus stuff, and it will likely be full price for a while after it comes out
  • You simply get a code for buying it from GMG, which you use to activate your guild wars account; steam would do the exact same thing: give you a code to redeem your account
  • You don't have to download whatever GMG's weird launcher is
  • You can always add a link to launch it from Steam later
  • Once you use the code, you likely will never have to deal with GMG again since you'll download the game directly from ArenaNet and use them for account issues
#11 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2695 posts) -

I use GMG constantly now (I have tons of games for this autumn already paid for through them). Almost all of their games just give you Steam codes. Very rarely do you have to use Capsule.

#12 Posted by ajamafalous (12031 posts) -
@Turkalurch: There are some MMOs (Rift as an example) that you play on whatever launcher you bought it on (be it Steam, Gamestop, etc.). That's why I was wondering.
#13 Edited by Turkalurch (198 posts) -

@CatsAkimbo said:

@Turkalurch said:

@ajamafalous said:

@CatsAkimbo said:

@ajamafalous said:

Customer notes

I just got home and bought it, and here are some reasons to go for it.

• 15 dollars off the normal version
  • It's not available on steam right now, assuming it comes to steam later (just an assumption) you won't get the preorder bonus stuff, and it will likely be full price for a while after it comes out
  • You simply get a code for buying it from GMG, which you use to activate your guild wars account; steam would do the exact same thing: give you a code to redeem your account
  • You don't have to download whatever GMG's weird launcher is
  • You can always add a link to launch it from Steam later
  • Once you use the code, you likely will never have to deal with GMG again since you'll download the game directly from ArenaNet and use them for account issues

I was looking over the GMG site after I posted and yea it's totally worth it.

I ended up using the discount for Borderlands 2 since I pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 way back when to get into the BWEs. I ended up paying about $38 for a $60 game that's not even out yet!

#14 Posted by yyninja (59 posts) -

Thanks for posting the deal! Was planning on getting GW2 on Amazon with the $5 credit, but this deal is way better.

#15 Edited by Xeirus (1334 posts) -

@yyninja said:

Thanks for posting the deal! Was planning on getting GW2 on Amazon with the $5 credit, but this deal is way better.

That's exactly what I was doing, but I remember seeing GMG a while back and when I was browsing PCGamers website it had a post about the discount. It' so nuts you can get such a huge discount before a game even launches!

I would keep looking at Amazon for other stuff though, I got Spec Ops the Line for $25, that is a hell of a deal.

@Turkalurch said:

@CatsAkimbo said:

@Turkalurch said:

@ajamafalous said:

@CatsAkimbo said:

@ajamafalous said:

Yes, yes, and yes. I'm really digging their site and their prices are nuts, I love it.

They also allow you to trade (some) games back in for credit later on, very cool site!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.