Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Guild Wars 2 - Instanced Dungeon Gameplay Montage HD (8min)

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

A extremely sexy direct feed HD montage of GW2 group play in instanced dungeons. Dungeons will be available as 'story mode' version. Upon completion of the story mode version, 3 'free roam' versions unlock for higher difficulty and better loot. Kinda like WoW's heroic difficulty. Just 3 distinct heroic versions. They're called 'Free Roam Mode', so likely one can tackle the bosses in any order. Sounds extremely good. Watch! Watch! Watch!  

It's good! Good! Good!
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Seppli

Adding Gamespot's Underwater demo to this thread too. This is about the other big GW2 news/reveal of the day. How they handle underwater combat. No breath meter. 3 distinct underwater weapons (harpoon gun, trident and spear) and and distinct underwater skills to go along with it. It's gonna be so damn sexy!

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Vexxan

So looking forward to playing this.

Avatar image for deactivated-6610658acf7f5
    deactivated-6610658acf7f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They can show me all these new settings, modes, graphics, etc., etc., etc. But it's all unnecessary; they already have my money.

What I really want is a release date!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60

Eh, looks good. Still more interested in TOR though. I'll probably play it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Seppli
    @CL60 said:

Eh, looks good. Still more interested in TOR though. I'll probably play it.

TOR looks solid. And EA/Bioware have put a ton of high quality content in there. I kinda know what to expect from both the classic MMORPG bits and the added Bioware-style storytelling. While I'm somewhat tired of the former, the latter still is one of my favorite singleplayer experiences out there. Needless to say, I'm excited for it and will definitely play it. For how long and how intently? I cannot tell, but I doubt it'll be much longer than half a year.

GW2 on the other hand shapes up to be revolutionary. Everything about it cries MMORPG 2.0. It literally is the cake from Portal. Somehow it all just seems too good to be true, yet the more I see of it in action and the more I read about its mechanics and design intentions, the more I believe I'll actually get the cake and eat it too. The cake is real!

ArenaNet treats Guild Wars 2 like a regular retail release for the most parts (no subscription fee and no freemium content) and finances it with a steady stream of boxed expansions; it fits my current MMORPG playstyle perfectly. I love MMOs as long as there's new content to explore and experience. Longterm challenge and competition and such, I seek elsewhere. Battlefield's my poison of choice these days.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seppli
    @Mercanis said:

They can show me all these new settings, modes, graphics, etc., etc., etc. But it's all unnecessary; they already have my money.

They still have to show instanced raid content and go into detail about PvP and unveil the last two professions (or is it just one more?). But yeah. I'm pretty much sold on it too. In the spirit of that...

Shut up and take OUR money!
     Shut up and take OUR money!
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Cloudenvy

Can't wait to sink a ton of hours into this! hopefully it'll be as good as I hope!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Seppli
    @Cloudenvy said:

Can't wait to sink a ton of hours into this! hopefully it'll be as good as I hope!

I'd pay 15$ to be in a GW2 or SW:TOR beta right now. WoW did it back in the day. Sold retail pre-order boxes with an open beta code in them. For 15$. I'd totally buy into such a thing.

I wonder why nobody ever does that anymore. RIFT had early access coming with their S.E., but that's not the same really. And 150$ is a bit much.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Seppli

IGN just uploaded a comprehensive short preview video of Guild Wars 2 with lots of new direct feed footage. Lots of engineer profession gameplay. Deploying nets underwater to root enemies and stop them dead in their tracks? Sign me up! 

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Loose

I have gone from not giving a fuck about this game to being cautiously optimistic. It seems like there's some ambitious shit going on and if it all comes together it could be pretty rad.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seppli

It never ceases to amaze me how little the gaming audience at large seems to care about MMOs. Must be because they're either subscription based or 'tainted' with a freemium business model which is opposed to proper gamedesign. Guild Wars 2 is neither.

Seriously though, I'm kinda curious why there usually is rather little feedback on GB when it comes to MMORPGs outside of trolling threads. Do you really not care about MMORPGs in general? Do MMORPGs need a seperate homepage and editorial staff to appeal to the MMORPG crowd?

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Joru

Looks awesome, and no monthly fee, which just seals the deal as if it's even as good as the first GW, it's already better than 99% of MMO's on the market. I'm also really hoping that all of this ambitious stuff works out for them, because if this game is successful, people will start to want more MMO's that are different from WoW/Everquest and the whole MMO market will get more exciting.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Sooty
    @Seppli said:
    It never ceases to amaze me how little the gaming audience at large seems to care about MMOs. Must be because they're either subscription based or 'tainted' with a freemium business model which is opposed to proper gamedesign. Guild Wars 2 is neither. Seriously though, I'm kinda curious why there usually is rather little feedback on GB when it comes to MMORPGs outside of trolling threads. Do you really not care about MMORPGs in general? Do MMORPGs need a seperate homepage and editorial staff to appeal to the MMORPG crowd?
    I don't care about MMOs anymore because I played WoW quite hardcore throughout vanilla, some of TBC, heavily during WOTLK and did all of the raids in Cataclysm up until January this year. I'm just tired of that type of MMO, every game tries to do the same type of shit.

Excited for this though, it looks different and if I buy it and hate it I can still go back to it months later without having to pay up front to re-sub, so if I feel like giving it another chance or something I don't have to risk wasting more money.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6620058d9fa01
    deactivated-6620058d9fa01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The combat looks so boring.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Seppli
    @Skooky said:

The combat looks so boring.

MMOs in general or Guild Wars 2 specifically? I can assure you that beating a well-designed tough boss encounter can be thrilling.

High-end PvE in MMORPGs is the highest form of co-op gameplay for sure. If you don't understand the inherent group mechanics and group challenges, you're likely not understanding the excitment of it either. Admittedly PvP in MMORPGs is just a pale substitute for better things though; in my opinion mastery of simulation always will be more exciting than RNG combat (random numbers generator aka diceroll mechanics) when it comes to competitive mulitplayer PvP.

PvP in MMORPGs worked for me back in the early days of vanilla WoW, before Blizzard wanted it to be fair and evenly balanced e-sports - when it was more about the character than the player. WoW was a way more cohesive and immersive experience back then and certainly much more rewarding. Successful raiding made my character more competitive for PvP and vice versa.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jimbo

@Seppli said:

It never ceases to amaze me how little the gaming audience at large seems to care about MMOs. Must be because they're either subscription based or 'tainted' with a freemium business model which is opposed to proper gamedesign. Guild Wars 2 is neither. Seriously though, I'm kinda curious why there usually is rather little feedback on GB when it comes to MMORPGs outside of trolling threads. Do you really not care about MMORPGs in general? Do MMORPGs need a seperate homepage and editorial staff to appeal to the MMORPG crowd?

For me it's just because there are way too many other games I want to play to commit to one for such a length of time (If I were 14 again I'd probably be way into them though). That said, I'm quite interested in TOR and GW2, but still only in a 'play for a month or two and then move on' kinda way. Will I ever get to a point where I'm running around with a guild full of strangers every night? Fuck no.

I quite like the idea of getting way into an MMO, but practically it just isn't going to happen.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Adamsons

Cautiously optimistic. Underwater video was reasonably impressive (re: visuals.) 

There really are so many ways it can fail to deliver though, but it looks promising from current footage. 

Slightly off topic, how time consuming are the achievements (Hall of monuments) assuming someone has none of them but a vast amount of disposable cash/ecto.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Adamsons said:
    Slightly off topic, how time consuming are the achievements (Hall of monuments) assuming someone has none of them but a vast amount of disposable cash/ecto.
    Devotion (mini-pets), Resilience (elite armor), and Valor (elite weapons) can essentially all be bought, but can also get very expensive. Fellowship (heroes and pets) is extremely easy to complete if you use the Zaishen Menagerie to death-level the unique pets, but you can also buy the hero armors extremely cheaply now if you want to save a little more time.

Honor (accomplishments and titles) is easily the most time-consuming, and while you can buy certain item-dependent titles (Friend of the Zaishen, Sweet-Tooth, Drunkard, Party Animal) and skill tomes to speed up Skill-Hunter, each one can get as expensive as an entire other monument, making it almost always a better idea to farm them out. Also, you have titles like Protector/Guardian, Vanquisher, Cartographer, and Friend of the Luxons/Kurzicks that will take a boat-load of commitment no matter how much money you have.
    Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Adamsons
    @Dark_Lord_Spam said:
    @Adamsons said:
    Devotion (mini-pets), Resilience (elite armor), and Valor (elite weapons) can essentially all be bought, but can also get very expensive. Fellowship (heroes and pets) is extremely easy to complete if you use the Zaishen Menagerie to death-level the unique pets, but you can also buy the hero armors extremely cheaply now if you want to save a little more time.  Honor (accomplishments and titles) is easily the most time-consuming, and while you can buy certain item-dependent titles (Friend of the Zaishen, Sweet-Tooth, Drunkard, Party Animal) and skill tomes to speed up Skill-Hunter, each one can get as expensive as an entire other monument, making it almost always a better idea to farm them out. Also, you have titles like Protector/Guardian, Vanquisher, Cartographer, and Friend of the Luxons/Kurzicks that will take a boat-load of commitment no matter how much money you have.
    Much appreciated,

Thanks.
    Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Riddell

My money. Take it!

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Adamsons: Glad to help.
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Lukeweizer

@Mercanis said:

Amen.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Seppli
    @Lukeweizer said:

@Mercanis said:

Amen.

Both SW:TOR and GW2 better get real. Real soon.
    RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By RobbieMac

I have been so busy over the last while I have missed all this great stuff.  I will try and watch later this week.

MemphisSlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MemphisSlim

I hope the FPS in dungeons doesn't drop that much in the final build. It's only a minor immersion breaker, though, everything else continues to look awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.