Guild Wars 2 Pre-purchase now!

• 85 results
#1 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

buy.guildwars2.com is now live, allowing you to pre-purchase your copy of the game and get access to a few bonus features, including a 3 day headstart and access to every beta weekend event.

It also allows you to register you account, which syncs up to the original GW and access the new forums.. But there seems to be heavy traffic trying to actually register at the moment.

Personally, I'm a little surprised they're letting people pay upfront for a game with no release date. Although I have a lot of faith in the developers, that's something I see putting a lot of people off. So for those uncomfortable with this, you can still just pre-order the game the old fashioned way, which should still get you a 1-day headstart (although you'll lose the guaranteed BWE access)

#2 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

I don't see the difference between paying now, or paying when we know a release date. Just got mine ordered for £10 cheaper at play.com. Hopefully it'll arrive before any BWEs start.

#3 Posted by HadesTimes (804 posts) -

You pay up front so that you aren't just getting into the beta events and then cancelling your pre-order. Happens all the time.

#4 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@HadesTimes: Yeah. I have no problem with it personally, or else I wouldn't have given them money. But for those who maybe haven't been following the game quite so much, I can see why this could look very shady.

Just looking at the amount of people who ordered TOR to get the headstart and bonus items, and then cancelled really should explain it.

#5 Posted by Cake (210 posts) -

Pre-purchased!

Uh... guess now I'll just wait.

#6 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

I have no qualms about paying up front. I'm hankering for an MMO, and 60 bucks isn't exactly a huge investment for me at the moment.

I think I'll be grabbing a Blue Microphones Yeti in prep for future guild chat : )

#7 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: I'm still using the headset that came with my xbox haha

Maybe if I get really into the PvP, I'll upgrade to a slightly better one. :P

#8 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1456 posts) -

I want to order the collector's edition but it seems I can't do that on their site. I guess I'll wait and see if it's available on Amazon.

#9 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@insane_shadowblade85: The EU guys are working on it.

@Maystack: fuck yeah el cheapo microphones! I'm currently wearing a broken old headset around my neck with my good headphones on my ears : )

#10 Posted by Jaytow (694 posts) -

@Maystack said:

I don't see the difference between paying now, or paying when we know a release date. Just got mine ordered for £10 cheaper at play.com. Hopefully it'll arrive before any BWEs start.

Play.com have become terrible for day 1 releases.

#11 Posted by Funkydupe (3320 posts) -

Any trustworthy stores that sell digital editions of this?

#12 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@Funkydupe:

?

If you just want the digital ed. then buy.guildwars2.com is the golden source. They accept people from pretty much anywhere - I'm in Australia and it took my deets just fine.

Unlike other retailers, getting it directly from NC soft a) makes more of the proceeds go to them, b) Gives you 3 days early access instead of 1 and c) gives you a pretty meh in game item

#13 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

@Jaytow: They've only let me down once before, and even then it was only a couple of days after release. I thought they'd be fine now because I've got a couple of weeks until the supposed beta, so that'll be enough time. Hopefully.

#14 Posted by Gonmog (583 posts) -

Could not find any place with the ce :/

#15 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@Gonmog: Hey dude, if the main site isn't working for you, this link might help you out.

#16 Posted by Gonmog (583 posts) -

Ah. Well then tomorrow ill hit the gamestop or best buy and pre order the ce... That statue looks sick. Lol. Thanks @selfconfessedcynic!

#17 Posted by JustKamToo (684 posts) -

Zavvi are the only UK shop selling th CE.

#18 Edited by Bollard (5551 posts) -

@Maystack said:

@Jaytow: They've only let me down once before, and even then it was only a couple of days after release. I thought they'd be fine now because I've got a couple of weeks until the supposed beta, so that'll be enough time. Hopefully.

I'mma go with Play.com too, that £10 saving is too good to pass up. Plus, they could just email the BWE access codes right? Just read the description, no disc too blah. Looks like the only reason I'm going to Play will be the saving then, otherwise I'd just use GW2's website.

#19 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@JustKamToo said:

Zavvi are the only UK shop selling th CE.

Play.com are also now selling it.

Seems there's been far more demand than they anticipated.. Which is odd, because even as a huge GW fan, I think it kind of sucks.

#20 Posted by RobbieMac (535 posts) -

I have never bought a digital copy of a game, so how does it work?

#21 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -
@RobbieMac: You buy it, and they give you a key and set up your account right after you purchase it. On release/beta weekends, they'll give you a download link. That's all there is to it.
#22 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2490 posts) -

Anyone know if you pre-order through Gamestop.com if you get the same beta weekend access?

#23 Posted by RobbieMac (535 posts) -
@isnipeyoudie: So do they give you a link to download a client?  Could I download this client to multiple computers?  For GW1 I had it on two computers so my brother could play when he wanted to so I am not sure if a digital copy would allow me to do this.
#24 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (352 posts) -

Pre-ordered first thing when I woke up this morning. The cheapest Collector's Edition here in Finland was for 119€. I'm trying not to think of money ill spent. I haven't bought a physical copy of a game in a long time, but I've got all the GW1 Collector's Editions, so I suppose this had to happen.

#25 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2490 posts) -

Make sure you pre-purchase instead of pre-order if you want in on the weekend beta events and the 3-day head start. There's a difference apparently, one being that you're paying for the whole thing then and there and the other being that you're only reserving a copy.

#26 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

Can't believe they want £50 for a fucking digital copy of the game.

#27 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -
@RobbieMac: Yes. The client itself is not unique; it can be downloaded anywhere you can log into the GW2 website. You'll definitely be able to install it in multiple locations on release, as you have to log in once you launch the client, meaning they don't care who installs it and where. I'm not sure what the policy for the beta weekends will be, however.
#28 Posted by oldschool2112 (91 posts) -

@Gonmog said:

Could not find any place with the ce :/

Just checked and you can still get it at Gamestop's website. I ordered 1 to hold onto, and got the DD from Anet itself.

#29 Posted by duggshammer (158 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

:| You do realize that this is developer's livelihood? You're not paying for a box and a dvd, you're paying for people to make the game and continue to support it.

#30 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

@duggshammer said:

@AlexW00d said:

:| You do realize that this is developer's livelihood? You're not paying for a box and a dvd, you're paying for people to make the game and continue to support it.

I'll assume you're being sarcastic. Most PC games are £30 here brand new. This is £20 more than that.

#31 Posted by shinboy630 (1140 posts) -

@RobbieMac said:

@isnipeyoudie: So do they give you a link to download a client? Could I download this client to multiple computers? For GW1 I had it on two computers so my brother could play when he wanted to so I am not sure if a digital copy would allow me to do this.

Most MMOs that I have played just have a "download client" link on their site once the game goes live that anyone can use, even if you don't have an account. For example, here is the one for GW1.

#32 Posted by Funkydupe (3320 posts) -

@AlexW00d: Yes its steep. Are you willing to pay it? If you are, they've priced it correctly.

#33 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2490 posts) -

Showed up at Gamestop when they opened to pre-purchase the CE to get the early access code. Of course, they had no idea what I was talking about, but we tried to do a full-payment pre-order to see if it would spit out a code. It didn't, so they cancelled the order and are supposed to call me when they know something.

This is the kind of shit that always happens in my experience when you partner with Gamestop. Unfortunately, Best Buy isn't any better.

#34 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

@Funkydupe: Fuck no. I was only ever gonna get this to play with dudes, now I'll just stick to the 86 1C games I bought yesterday.

#35 Posted by MikkaQ (10290 posts) -

So I have to buy the game to know whether it's any good or not?

Games marketing continues to baffle me. I'll wait for the game to actually be on the market with a demo of some kind.

#36 Posted by Tearhead (2168 posts) -

It keeps telling me my credit card information is invalid :(

#37 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -
@MikkaQ: Or see if they have an open beta closer to release. The game won't come out for a while (I'm betting late Q3), so if you're not sure, it's perfectly fine to hold off for now.
#38 Posted by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -
My only concern is that they still haven't cleared up the region lock issue. I spend a lot of time between NA and EU so that could be a problem for me.

It would be fair to disclose this now that people are actually able to buy the game.

@Tearhead said:

If you are trying to buy the game from the US with an EU credit card it won't work, and vice versa.
#39 Posted by Tearhead (2168 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:

My only concern is that they still haven't cleared up the region lock issue. I spend a lot of time between NA and EU so that could be a problem for me.

It would be fair to disclose this now that people are actually able to buy the game.

@Tearhead said:

If you are trying to buy the game from the US with an EU credit card it won't work, and vice versa.

Nope. I'm using a U.S. debit visa card and I am in the U.S. others have been having this issue as well, but nobody knows why. It's frustrating. Tried buying through paypal to no avail.

#40 Posted by MikkaQ (10290 posts) -

@isnipeyoudie said:

@MikkaQ: Or see if they have an open beta closer to release. The game won't come out for a while (I'm betting late Q3), so if you're not sure, it's perfectly fine to hold off for now.

I'm still secretly bitter about not getting into the beta. But yeah I hope there's an open beta pre-release, because the last MMO I blindly bought (TOR) ended up disappointing me a lot. The old GW and EVE are the only MMOs that drew me in.

#41 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2490 posts) -

Lady from Gamestop called me, they finally got their codes or whatever they needed, so I drove back up, ordered the CE and got my early access code. Luckily the Gamestop is only about a mile away.

This is all for my 11 year old son, who has been playing the original Guild Wars since his 5th birthday (pretty sure it taught him how to read, had a teacher once say to me, "I've never seen a 1st grader use the word 'catacomb' in a story before). He gets the CE of Guild Wars 2, and I get much needed yardwork assistance without the constant whining on his part, including, "are we almost done" and "can we be done now".

Seems like the potential for a win-win situation.

#42 Posted by Bollard (5551 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@duggshammer said:

@AlexW00d said:

I'll assume you're being sarcastic. Most PC games are £30 here brand new. This is £20 more than that.

Play.com have it for £40, console game price. Plus it's an MMO with no monthly fees so I think it's worth it.

#43 Posted by Gonmog (583 posts) -

I ordered the ce online with gamestop, but I don't think I get a code. Don't pay until they ship it says.... Maybe I should just stop buy a gamestop and see what they say.

#44 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2490 posts) -

@Gonmog: My understanding from following the Guild Wars 2 dudes on Twitter is that you need to "pre-purchase" not pre-order. It's confusing as hell, and they don't go out of their way to let you know if you only pre-order, you don't get the code for the early access and beta stuff. I had ordered initially on their website, but ended up cancelling that and just going through the local store.

From the Guild Wars 2 FAQ:

What is Pre-Purchase?

Customers who pre-purchase the game pay for the game in full and will enjoy guaranteed access to our Beta Weekend Events, three-day Headstart Access to the final game, and the Hero's Band digital item designed to enhance your gameplay experience.

#45 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2687 posts) -

@RobbieMac said:

I have never bought a digital copy of a game, so how does it work?

lol

#46 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

Disappointed by the lack of DDE through Amazon, had wanted to use some credits to off set the price - and now that I really look into it, most of the stuff is temporary anyway.

I never touched the first Guild Wars so I don't know how a lot of these things work - Does anyone think the Summon Mistmire Wolf and Char Mini are worth the extra $20?

#47 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Charging an extra £20 is rather greedy, even for a F2P game. I hope this is a mistake as not even Activision or EA have gone over £40. From the GW2 twitter account it sounds like it may be an error, hope so.

#48 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -
@SteamPunkJin said:

Disappointed by the lack of DDE through Amazon, had wanted to use some credits to off set the price - and now that I really look into it, most of the stuff is temporary anyway.

I never touched the first Guild Wars so I don't know how a lot of these things work - Does anyone think the Summon Mistmire Wolf and Char Mini are worth the extra $20?

The minipet is a useless little figurine that follows your character around in-game. They serve no purpose whatsoever.

The wolf is an elite skill that is only available in PvE (story mode) and can't be used it in PvP (competitive mode). Each character already has 3 class elite skills and 2 or 3 racial elite skills to choose from in PvE, so it will likely be useless too, just might give you a little bit more variety.
#49 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

@Vorbis said:

Charging an extra £20 is rather greedy, even for a F2P game. I hope this is a mistake as not even Activision or EA have gone over £40. From the GW2 twitter account it sounds like it may be an error, hope so.

The pricing isn't an error, they know what they're doing. The Diablo 3 digital edition is upwards of £40 also.

F2P != No sub. :-\

#50 Posted by project343 (2827 posts) -

Finally, throwing money at the screen has worked! :)

While ArenaNet is certainly fairly open and honest with their fanbase, I sort of wish they had nailed a release date and perhaps a less vague outline of the beta details prior to letting us give them money. I understand: they won't know beta progress until they start heavily testing, and they won't have a release date until they follow that beta progression into a logical conclusion, but this sort of feels like a Kickstarter without solid guarantees. In either case, I'll close my eyes and blindly trust them as they haven't done me wrong thus far.

@RobbieMac: You throw money. Via credit cards or paypal or what have you. They immediately email you your box key (which can be registered to an account). From that point on, you technically own the game. They'll likely open up their servers to pre-load the game a week ahead of the headstart so you can make sure that you're good to go at the earliest opportunity.

I can confirm that this is the case. I've already got my box key registered to my account and am eagerly awaiting news on these beta weekends.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.