Guild Wars 2 PvP ESL Live Stream Thread

#1 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

Hey guys - not sure if anyone else is online around now, but hey. The ESL live streams are starting in about an hour, so I'm making this thread for discussion.

Feel free to comment here if you catch the replays.

So, as posted earlier - here are the deets.

http://tv.esl.eu/de/ (Streams are on Stage 1 - ie, default)

ED: There were two commentators on day 1 - both an English and a German

Streams at CEST - ie GMT +2 - Thursday 12:40pm, Friday 2:15pm

For the Lazy -

Sydney, Australia: Thursday 8:40pm and Friday 10:15pm

Los Angeles, USA: Thursday 3:40am and Friday 5:15am

New York, USA: Thursday 6:40am and Friday 8:15am

Note: I will be on the Guild Wars 2 Guru mumble server during the streams, in case anyone else wants to hop on - or we do our own alternative.

#2 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

I may watch this. I've got a couple of hours to learn german so I know what the commentators are on about.

#3 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@Maystack: The commentator for the stream shall be english, I believe - he's some known dude who does star craft.

EDIT: Yup - going to be "djWHEAT" of "Counter Strike, Quake, and Starcraft 2 fame" link.

EDIT 2: My bad, djWHEAT is for PAX, which is next week - the Thursday match was dual commentated by an English speaking dude and a German speaking one.

#4 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -
@selfconfessedcynic: Oh ok, I just assumed it'd be in german because the fifa thing on at the moment is.
#5 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Nice - looking forward to it a lot. Can't wait to see those destructible environments in action.

#6 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Damn - seems to be delayed. It's still NFS Shift 2.

#7 Edited by Dark_Lord_Spam (3308 posts) -

Martin Kerstein announced the delay on the NCSoft stream. It should be on in approximately two minutes.

Or as soon as all of these dudes find a seat.
And these commercials end.
Fuck me, there's a guy talking about Shift 2 in German now.

#8 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3308 posts) -

Okay, they just showed the trailer. So that's something. Plus, who wouldn't love this eurobeat mash-up of bad pop songs?

#9 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

BRINGIN ALL THE BOYS AND DROPPIN ALL THE- 
God they better start the game or stop the music before I blow my brains out

#10 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

Looks like it's starting.

#11 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3308 posts) -

Watch: after all of that, one team will get flattened in five minutes.

#12 Posted by TheHT (11299 posts) -

holy crap, PvP looks like so much fun.

#13 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

ANet destroyed the other team. Kinda expected that.

#14 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3308 posts) -

Maybe djwheat falling through is what cause the delay.

#15 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

That was AWESOME! Tornado!

#16 Posted by TheHT (11299 posts) -

oooooo, the cute level designer was playing.

#17 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@coakroach said:
BRINGIN ALL THE BOYS AND DROPPIN ALL THE- God they better start the game or stop the music before I blow my brains out
Glad to hear I'm not the only who almost lost his cool over that infuriating track.
#18 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

The Elementalist looks fucking fierce 
Potential balance issues aside, the combat looks damn fun

#19 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3308 posts) -
@TheHT said:
oooooo, the cute level designer was playing.
I guess we're both scoundrels for noticing.
#20 Edited by TheHT (11299 posts) -
@Dark_Lord_Spam:
 I don't even know. I've been awake for too long.
#21 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

Hah - just got off mumble with the GW2Guru guys - talked for like an hour after this ended, so kindof have all my observations out of me.

But in general, I was struck by how balanced it was, and it pretty much proved that their alternative to the dps/heal/tank works. Some of the elements of discussion were:

• the short recharge of the elites (the tornado only had like 1.5mins on it by the looks of things) - and damn, those elites were awesome.
  • the minimap being way less useful than it is in GW1, as it only shows where allies are (even if you are targetting an enemy) - and yet still isn't very informative about the terrain around you (artistic, but not a very good map)
  • It seems way more solo-focused, but because of the survivability and options available to every class, major kills were only doable when teams converged - so coordination was still key to victory
  • The catapult was barely used, and concerns were raised as to the usefulness of it. Generally, you cant see where anyone is on your map because you are so far away, and thus you have to rely primarily on good communication (something which is lacking in PuGs)
  • The matches were won primarily through the caps - kills worked to ease captures, but only really contributed to score directly when the A-net team started dominating.

Thoughts?

Oh, and for those who missed it, here's one place to see the second match (the only one worth watching, tbh)

#22 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@selfconfessedcynic said:

Hah - just got off mumble with the GW2Guru guys - talked for like an hour after this ended, so kindof have all my observations out of me.

But in general, I was struck by how balanced it was, and it pretty much proved that their alternative to the dps/heal/tank works. Some of the elements of discussion were:

• the short recharge of the elites (the tornado only had like 1.5mins on it by the looks of things) - and damn, those elites were awesome.
  • the minimap being way less useful than it is in GW1, as it only shows where allies are (even if you are targetting an enemy) - and yet still isn't very informative about the terrain around you (artistic, but not a very good map)
  • It seems way more solo-focused, but because of the survivability and options available to every class, major kills were only doable when teams converged - so coordination was still key to victory
  • The catapult was barely used, and concerns were raised as to the usefulness of it. Generally, you cant see where anyone is on your map because you are so far away, and thus you have to rely primarily on good communication (something which is lacking in PuGs)
  • The matches were won primarily through the caps - kills worked to ease captures, but only really contributed to score directly when the A-net team started dominating.

Thoughts?

Oh, and for those who missed it, here's one place to see the second match (the only one worth watching, tbh)

I agree. The treb user should get some kind of topdown view of the entire map and be able to deliver those shots with pin point precision. A simple 2D map showing only capture point status and fiendly's locations would be what I expect functionality-wise.

Love the Conquest mode mechanics. You can hold just one and have the other two contested and you'll gain ground on the enemy. Way smarter design than Blizzard's Arathi Basin mechanics - which doesn't care about if the capture points are contested or not.
#23 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3308 posts) -

Didn't notice that, but I'm pretty relieved to hear I'll have way more opportunities to unload massive, flashy attacks (hopefully in PvE as well).

With enemies not showing up on the radar, this was bound to be a bit less useful. As far as terrain goes, I guess I'll have to go back and check the video, but in GW1 height variations and such weren't always immediately clear either.

Yeah, this one is unfortunate. I can only assume that they'll update the interface at some point to make it easier to tell what you're shooting and who you're hitting.

Similarly to AB/FA/JQ and pretty much in line with the name "Conquest", still, can't wait for info on other modes.
#24 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Gametrailers has 2 engineer focused PvP trailers. I am almost as sweet on the engineer as I am on the elementalist. So sexy versatile with all the guns and flamethrower and grenades and whatnot. Awesome.

They're really pushing the engineer during this Summer's convention season. I think they're genuinely proud having created such a unique feeling class.

#25 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3308 posts) -
I know it still needs a bunch of polishing and refinement, but the PvP already looks fun as hell. Probably in no small amount due to the fluid combat mechanics. I keep seeing commenters complain that this type of capture-point PvP is "already in every MMO". Apparently no one has a taste for well-considered execution of gameplay.
#26 Posted by TheHT (11299 posts) -
@Seppli: I imagine the turret will be really useful in holding down places like the middle capture point.
#27 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@Maystack said:

ANet destroyed the other team. Kinda expected that.

I'm hoping there's some closer matches todayt. And hopefully they follow someone other than an elementalist.

As for commentators, djWHEAT is actually for PAX apparently - so we're stuck with a German speaker and an English speaker whose names are unknown.

Should be fun.

#28 Edited by Dark_Lord_Spam (3308 posts) -
@TheHT: In the battle starting at 7:50 in this video, you can see how they could actually be really useful. A couple of shots downed an entire defending party here, and I imagine that with some form of team communication you could call out an enemy group entrenched in their capture-point to whoever is manning your trebuchet. Boom: no more resistance.

@selfconfessedcynic: The guy speaking German during yesterday's game was A-Net's Community Manager for Germany, Martin Kerstein. Don't know who the other dude was.
#29 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

I think the other dude was Matt something. 

#30 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam @Maystack

Hah - doesn't really matter who commentates as long as it starts on time tonight. Aside from the partial german, they did a decent enough job though (as one would expect from devs).

All the same, lucky are those who had some sleep and watched the replay considering that delay - but the discussion on mumble was pretty good. Anyone from here that can make it on tonight would be welcome.

#31 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -
@selfconfessedcynic: Haha, I'm pretty lucky that I'm relatively similar time to germany, so I just watched it with my lunch yesterday.
#32 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@Maystack: Bastard : )

I posted some more PvP videos in the main gamescom thread - aside from being off a monitor, it's pretty cool. The match gets hella close.

#33 Edited by Dark_Lord_Spam (3308 posts) -

Man, ArenaNet is showing ZERO MERCY in these matches. They're already winning by 150.

EDIT: Won by over 300 points. I'm thinking they should've just flown in five more devs to play against. :P

#34 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Second match was AWESOME! Necro's Lichform is somewhat fierce!

#35 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3308 posts) -

Yeah, the clock tower point got pretty intense a few times in the second round. Though (and it may just be me) I got a little bit of a sense that A-Net was playing softball for the majority of the match.

#36 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@selfconfessedcynic: @TheHT: @coakroach: @Maystack

All the ESL Showmatches in HD DIRECT FEED footage. Best and only direct feed footage out of the show thus far. Enjoy!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.