Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Guild Wars 2, the best MMO... ever?

• 75 results
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Subject2Change

From what I watched at PAX Prime it looks fantastic, if its no monthly fee I am so down otherwise I may just give it a try for a few months. 
    No monthly fee it is.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By CL60
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @Benny

I don't understand why anyone would play The Old Republic when you could be playing this.

You know, I'm not trying to start a MMO war or anything but why would people play TOR over this?
    Because I'm not interested in this, and am immensely interested in TOR? Why should I be super hyped for a game doing things that other games have tried and failed massively at doing? I'll play both TOR and this, but I still prefer the combat in an MMO like TOR over the combat that is apparently in this game.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @CL60
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @Benny

I don't understand why anyone would play The Old Republic when you could be playing this.

You know, I'm not trying to start a MMO war or anything but why would people play TOR over this?
    Because I'm not interested in this, and am immensely interested in TOR? Why should I be super hyped for a game doing things that other games have tried and failed massively at doing? I'll play both TOR and this, but I still prefer the combat in an MMO like TOR over the combat that is apparently in this game.
    Way to support your argument with facts about why TOR will be any better than Guild Wars 2. I'll give you a clue, it won't.
    Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Loose
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @CL60
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @Benny

Way to support your argument with facts about why TOR will be any better than Guild Wars 2. I'll give you a clue, it won't.
    To be fair, ArenaNet is taking some pretty big risks with GW2 that could potentially result in failure. I find their attempt to revolutionize the MMO genre admirable, and I hope it works out, but I wouldn't put money on GW2 being a better or more popular MMO than TOR.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By ajamafalous

@coakroach said:

Norn can shapeshift into bears.
    Rangers can have bear pets.
    Norn ranger = two bears.
    Every player can potentially command two bears, so a guild of ten people is twenty bears
    A modest guild of around twenty five people?
    Fifty motherfucking bears No other MMO is offering this many bears per player

I'm sold.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By CL60
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @CL60
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @Benny

I never even said that. I said I'm more interested in the combat that WoW and TOR offers, so I don't care at all about GW2. Especially since all the games who have tried combat like this in an MMO have fallen flat on their face. You're the one who straight up said. 

"WHY WOULD PEOPLE PLAY TOR OVER THIS!!" 

And I responded with the obvious answer of. "Because I prefer the gameplay in an MMO like TOR." I also said I will play them both, but I know for a fact I will enjoy TOR more because I hate the type of combat that GW2 is offering in an MMO.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Loose
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @CL60
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @Benny

To be fair, ArenaNet is taking some pretty big risks with GW2 that could potentially result in failure. I find their attempt to revolutionize the MMO genre admirable, and I hope it works out, but I wouldn't put money on GW2 being a better or more popular MMO than TOR.
    What exactly can fail about it? (I'm not saying it's a sure success, no game is, but are you talking about anything specific?) The things that MMOs do wrong and people complain about are all being fixed. I can sort of see a risk but it would be massively hypocritical of the MMO community to complain about these things, get them fixed, then complain some more.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ajamafalous

@NekuSakuraba said:

@CL60
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @Benny

"I'm not trying to start a MMO war or anything"

"someone prefers another MMO, I better insult them"

People have preferences. There are plenty of people that don't have any problems with "click and forget combat" (which, honestly, somehow leveling this as a criticism against other MMOs makes me think those people haven't played past, like, level 10, where after that you're using a skill every cooldown) or the tank/heals/dps system. There are plenty of people that will play TOR and will never give GW2 the time of day simply because TOR is sci-fi/Star Wars and GW2 is medieval/fantasy. There's no reason for you to get offended by this and start throwing insults around.

Also, the game isn't even out yet.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @CL60
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @CL60
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @Benny

I never even said that. I said I'm more interested in the combat that WoW and TOR offers, so I don't care at all about GW2. Especially since all the games who have tried combat like this in an MMO have fallen flat on their face. You're the one who straight up said. 

And I responded with the obvious answer of. "Because I prefer the gameplay in an MMO like TOR." I also said I will play them both, but I know for a fact I will enjoy TOR more because I hate the type of combat that GW2 is offering in an MMO.
    Could you elaborate on your hate of similar combat systems? I'm not saying your wrong because an opinion is, well.. Just that, but I am interested to know what you like about WoW's combat system since you seem to be the minority.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#60  Edited By Rhaknar

as someone thats been playing guild wars for the first time (got it in the steam sale) and thinking its fucking amazing, and questioning myself why i never played it before... im incredibly excited about gw2. will it be the best ever? who knows, but the first is amazing (for a mmo... whatever that means)

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @ajamafalous

@NekuSakuraba said:

@CL60
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @Benny

People have preferences. There are plenty of people that don't have any problems with "click and forget combat" (which, honestly, somehow leveling this as a criticism against other MMOs makes me think those people haven't played past, like, level 10, where after that you're using a skill every cooldown) or the tank/heals/dps system. There are plenty of people that will play TOR and will never give GW2 the time of day simply because TOR is sci-fi/Star Wars and GW2 is medieval/fantasy. There's no reason for you to get offended by this and start throwing insults around.

Because I asked for him to elaborate it means I'm insulting him? It's not like I said "fuck your MMO you asshole" I asked him to actually explain why TOR will be better (in his opinion anyway) because I was actually interested to see what he liked about it.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By CL60
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @CL60
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @CL60
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @Benny

Could you elaborate on your hate of similar combat systems? I'm not saying your wrong because an opinion is, well.. Just that, but I am interested to know what you like about WoW's combat system since you seem to be the minority.
    Minority? Since when? On GiantBomb maybe, but I know for a fact most of the people on GiantBomb don't like MMOs in the first place and just want something that doesn't play like an MMO. 

I think TOR looks better because I like the combat system, and I'm sick of MMOs set in fantasy/medieval type settings and would rather play a sci-fi MMO that actually plays like MMOs that I love with the added bonus of Bioware storytelling. Plus I'm still skeptical about how fun the actual combat will be in GW2 simply because it's been done before and has failed. Even recently.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ajamafalous

@NekuSakuraba said:

@ajamafalous

@NekuSakuraba said:

@CL60
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @Benny

Because I asked for him to elaborate it means I'm insulting him? It's not like I said "fuck your MMO you asshole" I asked him to actually explain why TOR will be better (in his opinion anyway) because I was actually interested to see what he liked about it.

You may have wanted him to elaborate and give you actual reasons, but "Way to support your argument with facts about why TOR will be any better than Guild Wars 2. I'll give you a clue, it won't." doesn't come across as anything but aggressive and hostile.

Also, he totally told you that he prefers the combat in TOR to the combat in GW2 in the post you responded to.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By CL60
    @NekuSakuraba said:

@ajamafalous

@NekuSakuraba said:

@CL60
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @Benny

He's not referring to your response to me, he's referring to how you said that with GW2 coming out why would anybody play TOR. Which is just stupid and asking for exactly what happened, an argument. You seem hostile towards the fact that anybody would prefer the combat system in TOR over a more active one like in GW2.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @CL60
    @NekuSakuraba said:

@ajamafalous

@NekuSakuraba said:

@CL60
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @Benny

He's not referring to your response to me, he's referring to how you said that with GW2 coming out why would anybody play TOR. Which is just stupid and asking for exactly what happened, an argument. You seem hostile towards the fact that anybody would prefer the combat system in TOR over a more active one like in GW2.
    Maybe it came across as being hostile but I wasn't trying to be. All I know about TOR is it's a star wars MMO made by bio-ware that's hotkey based, so I legitimately wanted to know why people were so interested in TOR because I hadn't been keeping up with news on it. But yeah, I didn't mean to be hostile but I can see why I came across that way, sorry about that.
    Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Loose
    @NekuSakuraba said:

@Loose

@NekuSakuraba said:

@CL60

@NekuSakuraba said:

@Benny

What exactly can fail about it? (I'm not saying it's a sure success, no game is, but are you talking about anything specific?) The things that MMOs do wrong and people complain about are all being fixed. I can sort of see a risk but it would be massively hypocritical of the MMO community to complain about these things, get them fixed, then complain some more.
    I don't think its the MMO community that really complains much about the traditional gameplay-style of MMOs so much as it is those who simply find MMOs too slow or grind-y. I'm certain that there are a lot of people who play MMOs avidly that would find the basic idea of trashing the traditional Tank/DPS/Healer format absolutely absurd (in fact I know a few people who do find it absurd). 

Additionally I can't imagine the more "hardcore" players getting particularly enthused about a more active combat system. The current gameplay systems that drive most MMOs usually require significant understanding of your skills and spell priorities in order to perform at maximum efficiency. Raid encounters also require a lot of movement and situational awareness in order to avoid taking unnecessary damage and PVP, even in a game like WoW, requires you to be constantly on the move and using abilities on cooldown in order to be competitive. The idea that you can just stand there and auto-attack/nuke a target and be successful in any traditional MMO (which is, to an extent, what ArenaNet suggested in their "Manifesto" video) is just ridiculous.

The reason that I expect TOR to be a more successful game is because it sticks to the traditional core-gameplay format of most MMOs and adds some interesting changes that will likely get enthusiasts of the genre excited. GW2 runs the risk of alienating these enthusiasts by changing so much of the core structure and this could ultimately be the game's undoing. Just look at WoW, it's probably the most successful MMO that's ever been released and it still follows the same gameplay format of traditional MMOs like EQ; Blizzard just streamlined many aspects of the game in order to make it a more compelling experience.
    Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#67  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Adamsons said:
    4. The combat isn't revolutionary, casting while moving has been done before and in a lot of games casters have no auto attack. The whole dodging projectiles is pretty interesting, and its something TERA is playing around with too, but in that regard how do you balance casters if their attacks can be avoided by spam rolling.
    @FateOfNever said:
    Dodging projectiles also sounds like it has the potential to completely break the idea of ranged characters.  "Why would I want to be a ranged character when my 'ranged' attacks can just be side stepped and I become completely useless?"  There may be more to it than that, but, that doesn't sound particularly great to me just with that little bit of info.  And does "projectiles" include magic attacks?  Can I side step a fireball and just laugh at the other person for their pathetic efforts to try and hit me at range?
    Dodge-rolling consumes your energy at a much faster rate than using your skills, so it should theoretically be more efficient to kill your enemy quickly or snare them before they become a serious threat. You can dodge away from melee as well, so ranged damage won't be totally gimped (at least by dodging alone).

@FateOfNever said:
    @WinterSnowblind: That's good to hear, in regards to the casual stuff.  Because, honestly, the only thing I've ever heard anyone talk about in regards to the quests for the game is how "there are no quests, you just have to go out there and find the adventure yourself."  Which sounds well and good, but you look at games like WoW where people almost actively refuse to go out in the world once they hit max level unless they have to, refuse to do world PvP unless there is an immediate reward in it for them, and so on, and it makes me worry about a game where they try to depend so much on your average player wanting to go out and find the adventure themselves.  As long as it actually has some sort of foundation in it to help guide people through the world and towards active spots and what not, that at least gives me more hope for it.  Though, I'd still be curious to see how casual players hand the questing in the game as a whole, as well as how they handle no flying at all in what looks to be a rather large world.  But I imagine as long as they implement other travel systems that make getting from point A to point B not a massive pain in the ass, it won't be a problem.

There are scouts in the game that, if you choose to utilize them, will mark several dynamic event "hotspots" on your map. Totally optional for those who prefer to do all their own exploration. As for transportation, there are a large number of fast-travel markers in the world that can be used for a small fee. They also function as resurrection points if no one is stopping to rez you.
    Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#68  Edited By Giantstalker

EVE, for all it's flaws, is still a pretty impressive game that offers a lot of unique stuff no other MMO has managed to date.

I'm still waiting for a fantasy MMO that offers that kind of scale, freedom, and depth.

Doesn't look like Guild Wars 2 is trying to rock that boat, though

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Here we go guys, it's been about a year and we are ready for lift off!

YOU HYPED?

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Deusx

One year in anticipation and I can confidently say this is the best MMO I've ever played.

DanTheGamer32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71  Edited By DanTheGamer32

@Deusx: oh man, I got the copy of it sitting here all installed and ready to go but I need to wait at least 2 days before I can play it :( I regret getting it too early now haha

Godak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Godak

@Loose said:

The reason that I expect TOR to be a more successful game is because it sticks to the traditional core-gameplay format of most MMOs and adds some interesting changes that will likely get enthusiasts of the genre excited. GW2 runs the risk of alienating these enthusiasts by changing so much of the core structure and this could ultimately be the game's undoing. Just look at WoW, it's probably the most successful MMO that's ever been released and it still follows the same gameplay format of traditional MMOs like EQ; Blizzard just streamlined many aspects of the game in order to make it a more compelling experience.

Maaaaaaan. Hind-sight 20/20.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Deusx

@DanTheGamer32 said:

@Deusx: oh man, I got the copy of it sitting here all installed and ready to go but I need to wait at least 2 days before I can play it :( I regret getting it too early now haha

It's not going anywhere duder. The servers are packed and ready for you lol. Remember to join the guild!

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Doctorchimp

@NekuSakuraba said:

Here we go guys, it's been about a year and we are ready for lift off!

YOU HYPED?

No...

They fucked up and launched in Fall...no way am I even attempting to hop on it now.

DanTheGamer32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#75  Edited By DanTheGamer32

@Deusx said:

@DanTheGamer32 said:

It's not going anywhere duder. The servers are packed and ready for you lol. Remember to join the guild!

nooo I mean my code is for the 1 day early release, not the 3 day one :( I will definitely join the guild when I'm on though :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.