Guild Wars 2 UK Pricing Help (for Pre-Purchase)

#1 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

Hey everyone!

My friend in the UK wants to pre-purchase Guild Wars 2 and get into the next beta, but currently has a bit of sticker shock. Apparently it shows up as £49.99 on buy.guildwars2.com for him (and my friend in Israel is seeing it for €54.99). This is, of course, a ridiculously high price in both of our opinions (I got the game for $59.99 US and I'm in Australia - so about 58AU at the time).

So!

What did you euro guys pay for the game? Did you find it for less (and still get into the beta events)? Where?

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Edited by Maystack (902 posts) -
#3 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

I paid £50, which is a good £10 higher than most games and well beyond what I'd usually consider paying for anything.

Some online sites are selling the game cheaper: Play.com, Game.co.uk, but then you'll miss the bonus items, beta access and head start access, so it just depends if you really care about that stuff.

It's some pretty nasty price gouging.. but considering you are getting a fully fleshed out MMO without the subscription fee's, I just sucked it up and paid for the beta stuff. In the end, I still think it's better value than what WoW, TERA, Old Republic players are getting.

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6186 posts) -

Yeah it's ridiculously priced on their website, just like Diablo 3. Amazon has it for £38 so that's probably the cheapest. Still 25% more than a normal PC game :/

#5 Posted by theodacourt (519 posts) -

Most PC games have come out at about £30 until fairly recently and they're starting to move to the £40 mark which is a typical console game launch price. I think £50 is ridiculous and paying that much is only going to make it happen more often. Boo.

#6 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

When the game first went on sale for pre-purchase I too got it from play.com for £39.99. Seems boxed pre-purchases were a limited run in the UK so if you missed out early on buying digitally is probably your best bet.

They did say that stock would be limited so I'm afraid there isn't much that can be done.

And $1 = €1 is nothing new at retailers i'm afraid, even if the exchange rate is more like $1 = €0.80.

#7 Posted by DeeGee (2113 posts) -

£50?

That's £20 more then I am willing to spend on that game. Oh well, guess I'm not getting this anymore.

#8 Posted by Fattony12000 (7053 posts) -
#9 Posted by Jimbo (9773 posts) -

It's £29.30 on CoolShop (which I've used loads of times before and never had a problem with), for anybody not fussed about beta access (at least, I assume it doesn't have beta access).

#10 Posted by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

I paid $59.99 USD on the website from Canada (so about the same in CAD). Europeans always get raped on pricing, but that's why they get all the social services!

#11 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

£50?

That's £20 more then I am willing to spend on that game. Oh well, guess I'm not getting this anymore.

It's only £50 for the digital/pre-purchase version.

If you wait and buy the game when it comes out or just pre-order it regularly, you can get it for £30. The only issue is the pre-purchase/beta stuff you'll miss.

#12 Edited by Bollard (5256 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: Play.com Play.com Play.com Play.com Play.com Play.com Play.com Play.com Play.com Play.com

I paid like £30. Maybe £35.

@WinterSnowblind said:

Some online sites are selling the game cheaper: Play.com, Game.co.uk, but then you'll miss the bonus items, beta access and head start access, so it just depends if you really care about that stuff.

What? This isn't true. You get everything from the hard copy... I have mine sitting on the shelf, "Standard Edition Pre Purchase" with 3 day head start, access to all BWEs and the Hero's Band. Exactly same as the digital copy. It is literally a download code in a box, so it's the exact same as buying online.

EDIT: OH WAIT WHAT. They've totally changed it. I bought the pre-purchase at the current price the pre-order is now. Man that's lame. Now the pre-purchase is £49.99 :( That sucks, I'm glad I got the game so cheap :D

#13 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

Thanks everyone.

So, looking through these replies, it seems that Amazon.co.uk is the best place (in terms of price) currently still providing beta access?

@Fattony12000 - can you confirm that the screen shot you provided was from .co.uk? Did you get access to the betas? (I don't remember playing with you, sorry)

ED: Oh hey, - almost didn't notice your edit. I'll see what my friend thinks of Games Rocket - nice find, and thanks again.

#14 Edited by Fattony12000 (7053 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: 100%.co.uk

I've been in all of the BWEs.

As far as I'm aware, if you haven't already bought into beta access (as of two months ago, or whenever it started), then you don't get beta access. Beta access was for people buying the game before beta access started.

As stated on Amazon, it's now just your regular standard version of the game for £38.71. I imagine it's been that way since the first BWE started.

Or you can 'just' 'buy' 'a' 'new' 'sealed' 'prepurchase' 'copy' from a 'third party' on 'Amazon' for '£82.02'.

#15 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

I just bought it for £50 of the official site because with MMO's I find that if you buy from the source, you'll have the best customer experience. It's more than I would normally pay for any game but it's also a game well worth £50.

#16 Posted by Giefcookie (584 posts) -

I paid 39€ for it but I live in Finland so I can get my games VAT free.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.