GW2 coming to PS3?

  • 64 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by Big_Mex (61 posts) -

Sorry if this is a repost. Already have it preordered for PC but this is potentialy awesome news for console owners. I just hope that if this is true that means gamepad support for the PC version as well. Love playing from my couch as im hooked up to an hdtv. Seemed to work extremely well for TERA (360 controller wise) and it would make circle strafing/dodging alot easier on my thief.

Edit: tried to make it into a link for easier viewing but for some reason wouldn't let me.

http://www.psu.com/a016035/Guild-Wars-2-might-come-to-PS3

#2 Posted by Solh0und (1779 posts) -

That actually might be pretty awesome since my PC is way too weak to run GW2.

#3 Posted by shinboy630 (1143 posts) -

Don't want to sound like an elitist here, but I'm not sure I would play with anyone who I know is using a controller, especially in PvP.

#4 Edited by Big_Mex (61 posts) -

@shinboy630: to each their own but for this game, TERA/DCUO theres not really a reason why you would need to use the keyboard/mouse setup, there really aren't that many buttons you use at once like other mmo's WoW/RIFT/SWTOR and if your used to one over the other (mainly console player) i dont see a reason why one would have an advantage over the other. I use a controller> a mouse keyboard whenever i can in something 3rd person perspective wise, but again all comes down to preference. (FPS is different aiming is def better with a mouse)

#5 Posted by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@shinboy630 said:

Don't want to sound like an elitist here, but I'm not sure I would play with anyone who I know is using a controller, especially in PvP.

A controller seems more efficient to me than keyboard key binding.

#6 Posted by shinboy630 (1143 posts) -

@Big_Mex: I use a controller for a lot of games as well, but unless they add some separate aiming mode (which I would like to think they would), have fun trying to use a ground aim spell. Idk I feel like it wouldn't work, because they are not building it from the ground up with controller gameplay in mind, unlike tera and dcuo.

#7 Posted by Elitespy (48 posts) -

@shinboy630: @Big_Mex: I have to agree with Shin here, I have played both Tera and DCUO and you are right Mex, those games don't "NEED" a controller, but I can guarantee you that the people that use the controllers have a slower reaction time due to not being able to mouse turn. In PvP it is very important to be able to react quickly to a situation and since the combat in GW2 is based on your positioning and the way you are facing the person with the controller would just be at a disadvantage. Just like a keyboard turner is at a severe disadvantage in PvP.

In Tera you get screen promps that help you hit the right skills, in DCUO there aren't that many skills on your skill bar so it's easy to go through them. In GW2 imagine having to use your 10 abilities on your bar, switching weapons using the extra 5 you get then switching weapons again, all this while trying to fight off 2/3 people (in PvP) or chasing somebody down without the ability to swivel the camera like you would with a mouse.

Not trying to sound like an elitist douche bag or anything, just something I have taken away from PvPing for awhile.

#8 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

@shinboy630 said:

Don't want to sound like an elitist here, but I'm not sure I would play with anyone who I know is using a controller, especially in PvP dungeons.

#9 Posted by Big_Mex (61 posts) -

@shinboy630: which is exactly why i said i hoped for gamepad support which means they would tune it for a controller to an extent like the aforementioned games did. Also, as a priest healing in TERA there were several spells where i had to lay something on the ground for people at a specific spot so they could get the benefits of the spell and it still took some pretty good precision on my part in the middle of boss fights and especially in world pvp when everyone was running around like a chicken with their head cut off.

#10 Edited by shinboy630 (1143 posts) -

@Big_Mex said:

@shinboy630: which is exactly why i said i hoped for gamepad support which means they would tune it for a controller to an extent

They don't have to. Tons of games that are ported to PC come with shitty M/KB controls, so who is to say that Anet's gamepad controls will be good? Especially since they have no experience making games that use a gamepad.

Edit: just to clarify, not saying it will be a lazy port, just that Anet's lack of gamepad experience could hurt them.

#11 Posted by Pazy (2587 posts) -

Id like to see it on consoles at some point. I plan to pick up GW2 day one for PC but I have friends who dont own a PC or simple prefer console games. If I could get a second copy on PS3, presumably seperate servers, and play with them there in a specifically built version of the game (ground targetting with a right stick seems odd) then im totally there.

#12 Posted by Big_Mex (61 posts) -

@shinboy630: i didnt see anywhere that said they have to but ya i mean anything could be shtty we'll just see when the time comes if they even do it lol. If it is shit then back to the dwarf sized razer naga thing ive been using for GW2 only which is basically a one handed controller aka not having to click the screen and pressing a button instead.

#13 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@Elitespy said:

@shinboy630: @Big_Mex: I have to agree with Shin here, I have played both Tera and DCUO and you are right Mex, those games don't "NEED" a controller, but I can guarantee you that the people that use the controllers have a slower reaction time due to not being able to mouse turn. In PvP it is very important to be able to react quickly to a situation and since the combat in GW2 is based on your positioning and the way you are facing the person with the controller would just be at a disadvantage. Just like a keyboard turner is at a severe disadvantage in PvP.

In GW2 you automatically face your target. I barely had to touch camera controls.

@shinboy630 said:

@Big_Mex: I use a controller for a lot of games as well, but unless they add some separate aiming mode (which I would like to think they would), have fun trying to use a ground aim spell.

If you can play FPS games with a controller, you can certainly aim a ground target AOE spell with one as well.

Here is a standard keybinding setup: http://taugrim.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/taugrim-keybinds.png

For something that was supposedly designed for the PC, this isn't very intuitive or comfortable. There is a reason why so many people end up buying MMO mice.

I haven't tried a gamepad, but something like this would seem pretty comfortable:

Joystick 1 or D-Pad: Movement

Joystick 2: Camera

X, O, square, triangle (or whatever): Skills 1-4

Modifier + X, O, square, triangle (or whatever): Skill 5 + utilities

R1: Modifier

R2: Heal skill

L1: Target

L2: Weapon swap

Select or joystick click: Elite skill

Not sure if I'm missing something.

#14 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3335 posts) -

As someone who mapped the controls to a Dualshock 3 as well as he could during the last beta and switched back a few hours later, I can tell you that it's possible, but also hugely crippling in terms of reaction time and usability. So much of the game requires you to have twitchy response times that I personally wouldn't risk it during serious play, no matter how comfortable a controller feels.

#15 Posted by Choffy (443 posts) -

Saying "not trying to sound like an elitist douchbag" and then being an elitist douchebag about how you won't play with people not using the overrated mouse and keyboard combo doesn't help. While PC gaming hasn't been this well-off in a long time, the days of mouse and keyboard are over. Almost every game out there worth playing has gamepad support for a reason (even crappy ones like Roller Coaster Rampage).

It's time to just get over it.

#16 Posted by Subjugation (4722 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA said:

@shinboy630 said:

Don't want to sound like an elitist here, but I'm not sure I would play with anyone who I know is using a controller, especially in PvP dungeons everything.

#17 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3335 posts) -
@Choffy said:

Saying "not trying to sound like an elitist douchbag" and then being an elitist douchebag about how you won't play with people not using the overrated mouse and keyboard combo doesn't help. While PC gaming hasn't been this well-off in a long time, the days of mouse and keyboard are over. Almost every game out there worth playing has gamepad support for a reason (even crappy ones like Roller Coaster Rampage).

It's time to just get over it.

At the same time, that type of reasoning is why so many attempts at a console RTS are utter failures. Sometimes, a certain control scheme is just superior for the game being designed, and just re-mapping everything can't change that.
#18 Posted by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -
@Choffy said:

Saying "not trying to sound like an elitist douchbag" and then being an elitist douchebag about how you won't play with people not using the overrated mouse and keyboard combo doesn't help. While PC gaming hasn't been this well-off in a long time, the days of mouse and keyboard are over. Almost every game out there worth playing has gamepad support for a reason (even crappy ones like Roller Coaster Rampage).

It's time to just get over it.

I'm not sure how anyone whose ever played an MMO with any seriousness could think that way.
Online
#19 Posted by Choffy (443 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam: @ajamafalous: Maybe the developers need to rethink the way to control RTS' and MMO's instead of trying to recreate the experience with eight buttons.

Halo Wars, EndWar and DC Universe Online are all examples of them trying to get it right.

#20 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@Choffy said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam: @ajamafalous: Maybe the developers need to rethink the way to control RTS' and MMO's instead of trying to recreate the experience with eight buttons.

Halo Wars, EndWar and DC Universe Online are all examples of them trying to get it right.

RTS games can't be controlled with a gamepad due to the constant need to micromanage units precisely and the large number of different controls.

I'm optimistic that they can work with MMOs though which aren't nearly as reliant on precision and have fewer controls.

#21 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Even though ArenaNet did say there was a small team dedicated to a console version, I'll wait until they release actual information on it.

That being said, I would be excited for a console Guild Wars 2; even though I'm buying it on PC.

#22 Posted by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -
@UssjTrunks said:

@Choffy said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam: @ajamafalous: Maybe the developers need to rethink the way to control RTS' and MMO's instead of trying to recreate the experience with eight buttons.

Halo Wars, EndWar and DC Universe Online are all examples of them trying to get it right.

RTS games can't be controlled with a gamepad due to the constant need to micromanage units precisely and the large number of different controls.

I'm optimistic that they can work with MMOs though which aren't nearly as reliant on precision and have fewer controls.

Just as a reference (I haven't played GW2 yet), here is my SWTOR UI (click the picture for a larger version):
  
      
I have 37 keybinds for combat skills alone, not even mentioning things like targeting, camera, keybinds for opening various windows, etc. 
 
 
Playing with a controller simply couldn't be done on a WoW-style MMO without fundamentally changing the game, at which point it isn't even reminiscent of the game you're trying to copy anymore.
Online
#23 Posted by makari (600 posts) -

@shinboy630 said:

@Big_Mex: I use a controller for a lot of games as well, but unless they add some separate aiming mode (which I would like to think they would), have fun trying to use a ground aim spell. Idk I feel like it wouldn't work, because they are not building it from the ground up with controller gameplay in mind, unlike tera and dcuo.

There is already an option in gw2 to autocast ground targeted spells at the location of the mouse cursor. This is easily fitted to a controller setup by having an aiming reticule in third person for both ranged attacks and targeting ground-targeted spells. True, you won't exactly have the ability to throw a ground-target off to your left while looking to your right but it is more workable than you might think.

#24 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@shinboy630: The PS3 supports keyboard and mouse. Make it mandatory for anyone playing the game on their PS3 and you would never even know.

#25 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3335 posts) -
@Choffy said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam: @ajamafalous: Maybe the developers need to rethink the way to control RTS' and MMO's instead of trying to recreate the experience with eight buttons.

Halo Wars, EndWar and DC Universe Online are all examples of them trying to get it right.

That's why I said "the game being designed" instead of "the game's genre." There are ways to have an RTS or MMO work on a console, but when a developer tries to map a full keyboard and mouse scheme for a game with the number of mechanics that GW2 has, they either have to make large sacrifices in usability or do something with a controller that's never been done.
 
The reasons games like Halo Wars and DCUO can work with a pad are twofold: they're designed from the ground up with that control setup in mind, and the core interactive systems are limited. Too many things in Guild Wars 2 require the freedom of a mouse and the variation of a keyboard. It's close, but without large changes it can't work.
 
@makari said:

@shinboy630 said:

@Big_Mex: I use a controller for a lot of games as well, but unless they add some separate aiming mode (which I would like to think they would), have fun trying to use a ground aim spell. Idk I feel like it wouldn't work, because they are not building it from the ground up with controller gameplay in mind, unlike tera and dcuo.

There is already an option in gw2 to autocast ground targeted spells at the location of the mouse cursor. This is easily fitted to a controller setup by having an aiming reticule in third person for both ranged attacks and targeting ground-targeted spells. True, you won't exactly have the ability to throw a ground-target off to your left while looking to your right but it is more workable than you might think.

Having the pointer tied to the camera is too hindering in the game for that to be effective. It'd be sluggish and you'd lose visibility if you were aiming close to your character. I got a little closer in the beta by having the pointer on the right stick for ground-targeting and the right mouse button on R2 for camera control, but it still "wasn't there." The stick is just too slow and imprecise.
#26 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

DCU on PS3 was a fucking joke. 
 
It takes about a week to download, it runs like shit, and last time I checked it was completely abandoned.
 
Trying to put MMOs on current consoles is a waste of time.

#27 Posted by makari (600 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@makari said:

@shinboy630 said:

@Big_Mex: I use a controller for a lot of games as well, but unless they add some separate aiming mode (which I would like to think they would), have fun trying to use a ground aim spell. Idk I feel like it wouldn't work, because they are not building it from the ground up with controller gameplay in mind, unlike tera and dcuo.

There is already an option in gw2 to autocast ground targeted spells at the location of the mouse cursor. This is easily fitted to a controller setup by having an aiming reticule in third person for both ranged attacks and targeting ground-targeted spells. True, you won't exactly have the ability to throw a ground-target off to your left while looking to your right but it is more workable than you might think.

Having the pointer tied to the camera is too hindering in the game for that to be effective. It'd be sluggish and you'd lose visibility if you were aiming close to your character. I got a little closer in the beta by having the pointer on the right stick for ground-targeting and the right mouse button on R2 for camera control, but it still "wasn't there." The stick is just too slow and imprecise.

Anyone playing with a controller on a console-friendly build would be playing the game very differently than a person on pc with a keyboard and mouse would. Trying to simulate a console version with the given pc setup is moot; the UI, perspective and control mechanics would have to be different for it to work. Saying a console port wouldn't have parity with the pc version is so obvious it doesn't even bear a mention, but saying it would not be playable is a little short-sighted. You wouldn't expect to do well in structured PvP vs people on pc and I doubt they would cross over.

#28 Posted by Elitespy (48 posts) -

@Choffy: I would take a mouse and keyboard over a controller any day. I don't think the M&K are overrated at all, they actually are far superior in terms of precision, accuracy and for me it's very comfortable. I hooked up my M&K to my PS3 using The Eagle Eye Converter, loaded up MW3 and went 25-2 and had scores like that every round with my mouse and keyboard. If you are a serious PC gamer you aren't going to use a controller in a competitive game because you will always be at a disadvantage.

#29 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3335 posts) -
@makari said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@makari said:

@shinboy630 said:

@Big_Mex: I use a controller for a lot of games as well, but unless they add some separate aiming mode (which I would like to think they would), have fun trying to use a ground aim spell. Idk I feel like it wouldn't work, because they are not building it from the ground up with controller gameplay in mind, unlike tera and dcuo.

There is already an option in gw2 to autocast ground targeted spells at the location of the mouse cursor. This is easily fitted to a controller setup by having an aiming reticule in third person for both ranged attacks and targeting ground-targeted spells. True, you won't exactly have the ability to throw a ground-target off to your left while looking to your right but it is more workable than you might think.

Having the pointer tied to the camera is too hindering in the game for that to be effective. It'd be sluggish and you'd lose visibility if you were aiming close to your character. I got a little closer in the beta by having the pointer on the right stick for ground-targeting and the right mouse button on R2 for camera control, but it still "wasn't there." The stick is just too slow and imprecise.

Anyone playing with a controller on a console-friendly build would be playing the game very differently than a person on pc with a keyboard and mouse would. Trying to simulate a console version with the given pc setup is moot; the UI, perspective and control mechanics would have to be different for it to work. Saying a console port wouldn't have parity with the pc version is so obvious it doesn't even bear a mention, but saying it would not be playable is a little short-sighted. You wouldn't expect to do well in structured PvP vs people on pc and I doubt they would cross over.

I guess we differ there. I'm of the mind that ArenaNet would be straight-up insane to divide their console and PC communities. The console MMO just isn't well established to the point that the game could be sustainable there if it was reliant on a separate consumer base.
#30 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@Elitespy said:

@Choffy: I would take a mouse and keyboard over a controller any day. I don't think the M&K are overrated at all, they actually are far superior in terms of precision, accuracy and for me it's very comfortable. I hooked up my M&K to my PS3 using The Eagle Eye Converter, loaded up MW3 and went 25-2 and had scores like that every round with my mouse and keyboard. If you are a serious PC gamer you aren't going to use a controller in a competitive game because you will always be at a disadvantage.

You're talking about FPS games where precision matters.

@ajamafalous: Fair enough, TOR wouldn't work on a gamepad, and neither would most other MMOs then (I forgot how many skills these games had). However, I would still think GW2 could work as it only has 10 skills and auto-turn. That shouldn't be too hard to map on a controller.

#31 Edited by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

@Choffy said:

Saying "not trying to sound like an elitist douchbag" and then being an elitist douchebag about how you won't play with people not using the overrated mouse and keyboard combo doesn't help. While PC gaming hasn't been this well-off in a long time, the days of mouse and keyboard are over. Almost every game out there worth playing has gamepad support for a reason (even crappy ones like Roller Coaster Rampage).

It's time to just get over it.

Bahahaha, 0/10. As an elitist douchebag, I laugh at your feeble attempts to justify your controller heresy.

Games use KB/M for a reason, in fact many reasons. You can't get the same amount of precision or the amount of buttons that you have with KB/M using a controller. Try playing Arma 2 or a simulator on a controller only, or the entire RTS genre.

Don't get me wrong, controllers are nice for playing games while relaxing, but it'll never replace the keyboard and mouse.

#32 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA: No - eff off.

I'd take the analogue controls of a good gamepad over fucking shitty ass WASD ANY DAY. Jeez, keyboard movement controls are so bad that people are ridiculed for using the default control schemes of competitive games with terms like "keyboard turners".

No, screw that BS - the only thing the keyboard has in it's favour is the sheer number of hotkeys and the ability to use it effectively with one hand (unlike 90% of game pad designs). For the former, good games don't need that much in terms of controls (see: every good console game), for the latter, well, a gamepad can't really compare to a mouse for selection tasks, so it is a true advantage.

In short, I'd be willing to try a nostromo-like alternative to the keyboard if games like GW supported true analogue controls, but for now I have to live with people like you who cling to the current (now ages old) "standard".

Anyway, in terms of compressing GW2 down to a gamepad, I believe that - as others have stated - a reticule just wouldn't cut it to replace a mouse for ground targeted skills in this game (which is a lot of them)...

#33 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:

@shinboy630 said:

Don't want to sound like an elitist here, but I'm not sure I would play with anyone who I know is using a controller, especially in PvP.

A controller seems more efficient to me than keyboard key binding.

When you take into account the skills that require mouse aiming that automatically makes controller less efficient since mouse is more precise than analog sticks, so in PvP you will be at a disadvantage, in the same way you shouldn't even bother playing pad vs m+keyboard players on PC on FPS games.

#34 Posted by deox (217 posts) -

I'll be picking it up for PC either way, but It'll be interesting to see how they adapt the controls on PS3. Hopefully they can make it work because I'm all for GW2 coming to consoles.

#35 Posted by Elitespy (48 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA: @selfconfessedcynic: I usaully don't agree with Noob, but I have to agree here. Everybody knows the PC is the master race of any gaming machine and that a keyboard and mouse will over power any use of a controller.

I'm guessing when you talk about calling people keyboard turners you are referring to my comments because I am the only one in this thread (that I know of) that has brought that up If the keyboard control scheme is so old than why do they still make updated gaming mice and keyboards? If it was an ancient standard, why is it still the only form of control scheme used in (PC) competition?

Just because it's the default control scheme doesn't make it right, I use to be a keyboard turner back in the day, but my PvP friend broke me of that habit and I am now a better PvP'er for it. I mean it is just fact, if you use the keyboard to turn you are not going to be fast enough to react in a PvP situation. I have seen so many videos of people playing against keyboard turners and they are just jumping around them because the keyboard turners can't turn fast enough to get a skill off. If you want to be taken seriously as a PvP'er or even in some instances a hardcore PvE'er you will learn to not keyboard turn.

Let's take it to consoles, if the default layout for Halo is southpaw, does that make it the only way to play? No you change it to make if fit what you want.

Hey maybe I am an elitist, never really thought I was but this stuff just makes common sense to me.

#36 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@Elitespy: I wasn't calling you out specifically, but sure. Your post is an example of what I'd like to call indoctrination. Well, perhaps that is too strong a term, but it's an example of someone who has learned ways to deal with a poor input method to make it better and fit his style of play (eg, changing keybinds). Sure one could argue that the ability for you to change your approach to they keyboard is its inherent strength, but that's kind of silly when compared to something has already overcome many of the core disadvantages of keyboard movement (eg the thumbstick)

Of course games designed for the PC work better with keyboard / mouse, that's just the result of good pc game design resulting in an adaptation to the carrier of the medium. Just the same way that good console games control well with a gamepad. However, aside from this largely subjecive argument, an analogue stick is objectively better than wasd as it not only removes what we all know is a bad form of movement (keyboard turning) but also adds significantly more control over your movement than anything using a pure on/off system like a key stroke.

On that note, an analogue stick isn't nearly as good as a joystick for fighting games or a flight stick for flying games. Each of these input methods are made for a purpose, and the analogue stick's purpose is (well it is now) movement.

Anyway, keyboard / mouse remains the standard (and shall continue to do so until something groundbreaking comes along, like mind control) because of one key factor. It's ubiquitous. For the same reason, PC games, like gw, having been designed for the input method of the masses just play better using said means. THIS is the reason why GW2 shouldn't be ported to gamepad, not things like "PC controls are better than console ones".

ED: Oh, and to clarify what I think would be a solution to my problems with PC controls, I'd say the nostromo is heading the right direction but is in no way perfect. Also, the mouse is pretty much amazing as it is.

#37 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

I think I agree with both of you. The analogue stick on a joystick or gamepad is usually miles better than WASD because it allows more than just 8 point movement. Then again, there is no arguing that using a mouse grants way more precision and aim than using a controller would give you. If there was a system where you could use controller in left hand, mouse in right it might be pretty cool. The only downside to that is there aren't enough places to bind the 8 skills.

#38 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:

Joystick 1: Movement

Joystick 2: Camera

X, O, square, triangle (or whatever): Skills 1-4

Up, Down, Right, Left (on the Dpad): Skills 5-8

R1: Iventory

R2: Weapon Swap

L1: Target

L2: Heal

Select or joystick click: Elite skill

That's the way I'd do it, the d-pad for movement isn't very practical in a 3d game at least in my opinion.

That could work reasonably well in theory for mmo's, but I have never played Guild Wars 1 PvP so I wouldn't know

#39 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3335 posts) -

This is about as reasonable as I was able to make the controls during the brief time I spent with my DS3 in the game. To be honest, the loss of mouse functionality is what made me give up.

Control InputFunction
left stickmovement, with left and right bound to strafing
L3dodge
right stickmouse pointer
R3left mouse-button
L2Control modifier (*)
R2right mouse-button
L1weapon swap/drop bundle
L1*jump
R1skill 1
R1*skill 6
triangleskill 2
triangle*skill 7
squareskill 3
square*skill 8
Oskill 4
O*skill 9
Xskill 5
X*skill 10
D-pad upF1 skill
D-pad up*hero panel
D-pad leftF2 skill
D-pad left*guild panel
D-pad rightF3 skill
D-pad right*contacts panel
D-pad downF4 skill
D-pad down*Trading Post panel
Selectcontextual interaction (the "F" key)
Select*inventory panel
Startworld map
Start*WvW scoreboard
Home buttongame menu
Home button*options menu

Anyone who wants to in the next BWE is free to try it out and see if they can make improvements.

#40 Edited by GnomeonFire (750 posts) -

I once mapped WoW to a 360 controller. Needless to say, the camera spent most of its time lodged up my characters ass.

#41 Posted by Elitespy (48 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: I dunno, I think we are going to just have to agree to disagree.

This whole conversation started with Shinboy saying he wouldn't pvp with somebody using a controller. That still stands true though, I would not and probably never will play a competitive game with somebody using a controller. I don't think A-net would put the PS3 servers with the PC servers, so I know we probably wouldn't have to worry about that. Just want to point out that competitive is the key word I have been talking about. If somebody uses a controller to play GW2 good on them, just if they are going to try and play in the SPvP, don't be surprised if they aren't taken seriously.

#42 Posted by shinboy630 (1143 posts) -
@Elitespy yeah if they want to chill on their couch and play that way, that's their decision. Just don't expect me to be happy if they want in on my PvP tournament team lol.
#43 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1728 posts) -

Oh jeez, what happened in here. I guess it's a good thing the PS3 supports keyboard and mouse controls anyway yeh? 

#44 Edited by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: Maybe it's because you limit yourself to console games, but in an RTS, FPS or MMO setting, the KB/M will always be better. In your post, you completely seem to be forgetting about the existence of the mouse. The keyboard isn't the only way to look around in a game.

If you faced off a gamer using a KB/M against a gamer with a controller without auto aim, the one using the keyboard and mouse would undoubtedly win.

That said, I'm not denying there are benefits to using a controller, it's just in a more competitive format, KB/M has more precision than a controller.

#45 Posted by Elitespy (48 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA: From listening to the podcast, I kinda put it together that cynic didn't play very many PC games. Kinda gave himself away when in a forum post he said he didn't really like steam, lol. But yeah Noob I agree with what you are saying.

#46 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

What a silly thing to be arguing about. Aren't you guys about to enter a Guild together?

#47 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

@Cincaid: I'd call it a discussion rather than an argument. Nobodies using any derogatory terms and the posts are for the most part lengthy and well thought out. It's good to have a nice discussion once in a while :P

#48 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@UssjTrunks said:

@shinboy630 said:

Don't want to sound like an elitist here, but I'm not sure I would play with anyone who I know is using a controller, especially in PvP.

A controller seems more efficient to me than keyboard key binding.

When you take into account the skills that require mouse aiming that automatically makes controller less efficient since mouse is more precise than analog sticks, so in PvP you will be at a disadvantage, in the same way you shouldn't even bother playing pad vs m+keyboard players on PC on FPS games.

I completely agree on the precision part (playing an FPS on a gamepad is an awful experience), but there isn't any aiming in this game, only for the occasional AOE spell (and many builds don't even have AOE).

@No0b0rAmA said:

@selfconfessedcynic: Maybe it's because you limit yourself to console games, but in an RTS, FPS or MMO setting, the KB/M will always be better. In your post, you completely seem to be forgetting about the existence of the mouse. The keyboard isn't the only way to look around in a game.

If you faced off a gamer using a KB/M against a gamer with a controller without auto aim, the one using the keyboard and mouse would undoubtedly win.

That said, I'm not denying there are benefits to using a controller, it's just in a more competitive format, KB/M has more precision than a controller.

You guys keep bringing up the FPS comparison when GW2 isn't an FPS. It's an MMO with 10 skills and complete auto-aim. I'll be the first one to argue KB+M > Gamepad for an FPS, but this isn't an FPS, it isn't even your standard 50 skill MMO.

In GW2:

Mouse: Used for camera panning and AOE casting (keep in mind that AOE spells only comprise a small part of your arsenal, and many builds don't even include them).

Keyboard: Used for movement and skill casting.

I fail to see how two joysticks can't emulate that (the skill casting would me mapped to the buttons).

#49 Posted by Elitespy (48 posts) -

@Cincaid: I'm not in their guild, just a guy who listens to the podcast. I wouldn't say we are arguing, just discussing, lol.

#50 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

@Elitespy: You should totally join!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.