Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

GW2 may get a console version, according to Ncsoft.

Lotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lotus
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jack268

Well yeah, if console development is just a little hobby project of theirs that started during their lunch breaks or some shit, who really cares? The Monster Hunter MMO is good both on consoles and PC, and NCSoft are very in touch with what the players want and how, so how could they do worse?

djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By djaoni

Nope.

Lotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lotus

@djaoni said:

Nope.

Never?... maybe

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By shinboy630

Not interested in a console port of GW2 at all, and frankly would be kind of upset if it were to happen.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @shinboy630: As long as there's no impact on the quality of the PC version - which, considering about 98% of the ArenaNet studio have been working exclusively on that one seems likely - I fail to see a problem.

@Jack268 said:

Well yeah, if console development is just a little hobby project of theirs that started during their lunch breaks or some shit, who really cares? The Monster Hunter MMO is good both on consoles and PC, and NCSoft are very in touch with what the players want and how, so how could they do worse?

Not exactly a "hobby project", as there is a small team of people at A-Net whose sole responsibility is to explore the viability of a console port.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Some people have been blowing this story totally out of proportion. All they said is that there's a small team working on it, i.e. they have a group of people looking into the possibility. The PC version is practically finished, we have a few small beta tests coming but we're talking a matter of months until the release. Even if they were currently working on bringing it to consoles, it's not going to have any affect on what they're doing with the PC version.

I'd pretty much guarantee a console version will never see the light of day.. but it's not something I'd be against. Severs would likely be separate and the controllers could easily map to GW2's skill set up.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Vexxan

I'm not interested in a console version but I think it would work, GW2 doesn't use as many buttons as other MMOs does so the controls wouldn't be too gimped compared to the PC version.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By zyn

I'm... kinda interested in a console version. Would like to see what it's like. However, I'm still getting the PC version.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they add keyboard and mouse support like UT3 on the PS3, I could see this working out.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good to see this expanding to a bigger audience.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Meowshi

@shinboy630 said:

Not interested in a console port of GW2 at all, and frankly would be kind of upset if it were to happen.

I know, the thought of more people being able to experience the game fills me with a seething rage as well.

AMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AMonkey

This is a pretty brilliant way of picking out the shit journalists from the rest. ANet has confirmed nothing other than there is a small team exploring the possiblity of bringing GW2 to consoles. Of course Blizzard also did the same thing with World of Warcraft, as did Bioware with TOR and we see what happened there...

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By project343

@Lotus: Seems completely acceptable when your game design seems to fit the limitations of a controller. Guild Wars has always limited the number of skills you could equip at any time. Naturally, that would fit really well with the face buttons. Same reason why I think Diablo 3 may work really well on consoles.

@AMonkey said:

This is a pretty brilliant way of picking out the shit journalists from the rest. ANet has confirmed nothing other than there is a small team exploring the possiblity of bringing GW2 to consoles. Of course Blizzard also did the same thing with World of Warcraft, as did Bioware with TOR and we see what happened there...

Well, TOR and WoW are not feasible with a controller in any intuitive way. Both of those games leave you with 40+ skills on your hotbar and require incredibly precise enemy targeting.

Lotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lotus

@project343 said:

@Lotus: Seems completely acceptable when your game design seems to fit the limitations of a controller. Guild Wars has always limited the number of skills you could equip at any time. Naturally, that would fit really well with the face buttons. Same reason why I think Diablo 3 may work really well on consoles.

Oh in combat for sure, dcuo did well with that in my opinion, but i think UI, inventory management and chatrooms is where the "problems" seens to show, and if that streamline of the UI crawl its way to the pc version, thats the worry for some people.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By scarace360

You would play with a mouse and keyboard right cause thats the only way i could see it.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy

This is awesome news to someone who doesn't have a computer good enough to run it. I don't understand why people would complain about this since the game is borderline done. It's not like they're going to add new systems and mechanics for the PC version just because it was announced for consoles.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By shinboy630

@Meowshi said:

@shinboy630 said:

I know, the thought of more people being able to experience the game fills me with a seething rage as well.

Well I just have a tendency to be worried when PC franchises start showing up on consoles. Battlefield is a good example with the Bad Company games of a previous PC franchise that got worse versions of things than consoles (even though BF3 on PC is awesome). I would just be worried that the console version would create complications and delay the release of content post launch and maybe become the priority platform.

Edit: Although I am trying to stay as level headed as I can about this, I would be lying if there wasn't a little part of me that doesn't want anyone but the Master Race to play this game. Just a little part. :P

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By RobbieMac

I have never played MMOs on the console, so I am kind of intrigued on how this actually works.  Seems like you would be a inhibited dramatically with the controls.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Seppli

The guys over at Gamebreaker.tv talk about the possibility of a console version of Guild Wars 2 on the Guild Cast.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Bollard

@project343 said:

@AMonkey said:

Well, TOR and WoW are not feasible with a controller in any intuitive way. Both of those games leave you with 40+ skills on your hotbar and require incredibly precise enemy targeting.

I don't see how GW2 is supposed to work then either, with 10 skills and multiple weapon sets swapping out five of them, and things like attunements swapping out the other five on the fly.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zyn

@Chavtheworld said:

@project343 said:

@AMonkey said:

I don't see how GW2 is supposed to work then either, with 10 skills and multiple weapon sets swapping out five of them, and things like attunements swapping out the other five on the fly.

Well, this dude was able to configure and play SWTOR with a PS3 controller.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bollard

@zyn said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@project343 said:

@AMonkey said:

How well do you think a control scheme like that will translate to a COD player?

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zyn

@Chavtheworld said:

@zyn said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@project343 said:

@AMonkey said:

How well do you think a control scheme like that will translate to a COD player?

Not very well.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Morrow

I'd like to see the PS3 get some MMOs ^^ The only one I know/played is DC Universe, but I never got into it.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @jetsetwillie said:

this has been confirmed http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-15-ncsoft-confirms-guild-wars-2-on-console

"Realistically speaking I don't think it would be likely that we will be launching the console version [and the PC version] together," an NCsoft executive said on the call. 

Which is code for, it's not really in development, as much as the idea is being physically tested (probably by way of a 360 build running on an SDK somewhere) with some some view to releasing it eventually.  This was a financial conference with the focus on investors so such a statement could mean anything at this stage.  ArenaNet or NC Soft could even scale back the console version completely if the PC version doesn't make great sales.    Meanwhile, if it does get released, so what?  Guild Wars 2 is very clearly action focussed and would probably work well on consoles even if it'll probably end up looking pretty poor.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bollard

@zyn: Still could work on the PS3 with KB&M though.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By penguindust

It makes sense since console games are good money makers and considering how expensive an MMO is, you'd want to hit the most platforms possible, but I'm still skeptical especially with Microsoft's Xbox. There have been several other games also announce for the 360 and only the FF games have actually arrived. Sony made the DCU game that appears on the PS3, so for a third-party to actually bring a game to either platform is a something I'm going to have to see it and hold it in my hands, before I believe.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By gike987

After having watched a lot of gameplay from this weekend I have a hard time imagining how a console version would work. There seems to be a lot of skills that require you to pick a location on the ground, to much greater extent than most other MMOs.

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Branwulf

After the success of Age of Conan's Xbox 360 version, why wouldn't game developers want to put MMOs out on consoles?

Wait a second...

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By UssjTrunks

Won't work. Besides, we don't want console noobs ruining our experience. If they do port it, it'll be a flop like Valve's attempt at porting CS to Xbox. Great games of such magnitude (CS, GW, etc) simply aren't meant for consoles.

Lotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lotus
    Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Benny

@Lotus: Those have been in the game since the first beta build.

curious_george

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By curious_george

I could possibly see the PS3, but definitely not the 360 as Microsoft does not seem to be very accommodating at all for MMOs or cash shops. But then I wonder if the PS3 has a MMORPG player base large enough to make porting it worthwhile (how did DCUO do there?).

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By UssjTrunks

@UssjTrunks said:

Won't work. Besides, we don't want console noobs ruining our experience. If they do port it, it'll be a flop like Valve's attempt at porting CS to Xbox. Great games of such magnitude (CS, GW, etc) simply aren't meant for consoles.

It's funny reading this post now. I've come full circle from this comment since actually playing the game lol.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

If there was ever an MMO that could work well on consoles this would be it, but I think I'd always choose mouse/keyboard over a controller.

garion046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By garion046

It would be interesting to see how a console port would work, however certain things would be extremely difficult to adapt for consoles. Basic ground targeting sounds tricky for a start. And how do they deal with chat? You can't have a guild where only half of the people can use the chat because the other half have a controller.

I feel that the complexity of MMOs are too much for consoles. The GW2 UI, even with only the 10 primary skill buttons, still requires a weapon swap, dodge, jump, interact, up to 4 profession specific skill buttons, synonymous buttons for left and click click, as well as a multitude of buttons for the hotkeys to different panes (unless you force the console user to go through the menu, which would suck). And that's without any convenience hotkeys that MMO players like to implement themselves or simply have available, like the look behind you hotkey, or hide UI hotkey, or auto-run shortcut, etc.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@garion046: The 360 does have the advantage of every console coming with headsets. Pretty much every online 360 player uses them to communicate, which is far more efficient than stopping to type with a keyboard, particularly in the heat of combat when you quickly need to give directions or ask for help. The 360 also supports USB keyboards and that controller attachment thing, if you want to get picky too.

I also think there's more than enough buttons on the control pad to work for the game, plenty of solutions have been brought up. The only real issue would be the targeting speed, particularly because of the amount of spells that need to be manually placed. There is an auto-cast option, but that's pretty clumsy and would definitely leave console players at a disadvantage. But it'd work and I'm sure at least PVE would still be very enjoyable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.