Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

GW2 to be region locked

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By UssjTrunks
    Physically locked that is. The servers themselves will not be region locked. Euros and Americans and everyone else will be able to play with each other in-game. It only affects where people can log in from.

From their Facebook page:

"Is my copy of Guild Wars 2 tied to my region?

Yes. To play from North America you must purchase a North American copy of the game. To play from Europe you must purchase a European copy of the game. Note that this restriction impacts where you can play from, not which game worlds you can choose to play on.

By purchasing the correct copy of the game, you're supporting the game in your country, and you'll be connecting to your local data center, using your local customer support team, and downloading the correct language support for your country.

~RB2"

And follow-up: 

"Here are some answers and clarifications for you! First, if you purchase the game from https://buy.guildwars2.com/ you'll automatically be sorted into the right region.

And don't worry -- we want you to play with your friends wherever you are. This policy only affects where you can login from -- not which worlds you can access. People from NA will be able to play with people from EU at launch. We've got two datacenters -- one in NA and one in EU. Those who do not fall into either of those two regions will default to the NA datacenter.

Finally, we are aware that a lot of our players travel, and we are looking into a solution for you.

Hope that helps some! ~RB2"

--------

As someone who travels between Europe and NA frequently for long periods I don't like this at all. The solution will inevitably be a region unlock code. This just sounds like a quick cash grab by NCsoft.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Subjugation

What is the purpose of a region lock? Is it a security thing?

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By UssjTrunks
    @Subjugation said:

So Europeans don't buy the game from the US where it's much cheaper would be my guess.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Subjugation
    @UssjTrunks: Oh, my bad. I didn't read that correctly the first time through. I thought it sorted you after your first log in, but now it sounds more like it is an embedded feature. I don't see the necessity for this.
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Beaudacious

The region lock is probably for their data centers, and customer support. They probably want to keep them separate, and avoid a lot of issues. Its probably a hassle for them if you call support in NA but all your data is in the EU data center or vice-versa. Although it is the World Wide Web, managing data for mmo's across regions is still a pain since i'm assuming the server setups and infrastructures vary enough to make it a pain.

Secondly they probably want to avoid an influx of EU players on NA data centers, since the NA data center will cover NA, Asia, Oceania, and i have no idea if South America, or Africa are covered.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By NickL

Way to make a misleading title.

Thought I wouldn't get to play with my European friends from the title.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UssjTrunks
    @NickL said:

Way to make a misleading title.

Thought I wouldn't get to play with my European friends from the title.

My bad. I noticed that after I posted the thread, but I can't edit it now, hence the little bolded disclaimer. :(
    Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

This seems like one of those realities of business. Sure, it's unfortunate, but a lot of planning has gone into how they want to go about structuring servers, and if enough people circumvent that then they might as well be tossing money into a furnace.

Rawson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Rawson

This isn't the only MMO to start region locking. Tera is also doing the same thing, locking out most of Asia, Russia, and Africa from the North American servers.

Unfortunately, it seems more and more like this has to be done to protect the accounts of legitimate customers, as well as curb spammers.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Sooty

This is kind of a good thing. Americans playing on European servers will be somewhat laggy in PvP and vice versa.

Is this really surprising? WoW did it too, I thought this was the norm. You can still play on the other servers if you really want to.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Woah, so no JP/Korean data centre and, perhaps expectedly, no AUS data centre. I guess I'll be fine with defaulting to an NA DC, that usually gives me playable pings in the first GW.

Good to see that buy.guildwars2.com works no matter what.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Seppli

It's likely more of a bookkeeping issue. They want a proper bottomline to measure against their upkeep cost for each region.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By geirr

@UssjTrunks said:

@Subjugation said:

So Europeans don't buy the game from the US where it's much cheaper would be my guess.

Or in the case of Norwegians like me, when you buy games from the US digitally (like TERA), you get taxed an extra $15.

NobodyHIFI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NobodyHIFI

as far as that thread title goes...

No Caption Provided
    shikon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shikon

if free to play games region lock you from actually playing the game its anoying. but seeing how GW2 releases around the world on the same date. i don't really see a problem with this

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Maystack

I don't really mind that it's region locked, because it doesn't affect me but I can see why people who travel a lot might be worried. They've said that they're looking into solutions for that though.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Benny

@Rawson said:

This isn't the only MMO to start region locking. Tera is also doing the same thing, locking out most of Asia, Russia, and Africa from the North American servers.

Unfortunately, it seems more and more like this has to be done to protect the accounts of legitimate customers, as well as curb spammers.

You've been totally mislead by the title, you can play with anyone anywhere on any servers you like. You just have to buy a copy locked to your region to get access to your region's customer support.

Rawson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rawson

@Benny: I understand that it's different than server region locking. However, let me explain:

I will be buying the NA version of the game. This presumably means that, in order to play on my account, one has to be connecting to the game in NA.

Now, let's say that a Russian person manages to get my account information, and attempts to log on and steal my stuff. He won't be able to, barring some proxy services that may not even work for the purposes of an MMO. This makes the region locking a form of basic account security. Sure, it may not work at protecting people all the time, but it's better than nothing at all.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By UssjTrunks
    @Rawson said:

@Benny: I understand that it's different than server region locking. However, let me explain:

I will be buying the NA version of the game. This presumably means that, in order to play on my account, one has to be connecting to the game in NA.

Now, let's say that a Russian person manages to get my account information, and attempts to log on and steal my stuff. He won't be able to, barring some proxy services that may not even work for the purposes of an MMO. This makes the region locking a form of basic account security. Sure, it may not work at protecting people all the time, but it's better than nothing at all.

But at the same time, if you move to Russia yourself, and try to log on, you won't be able to. In that respect, it's also an inconvenience. Hopefully this is cleared up before the pre-purchase date and it doesn't involve me having to pay anything extra to play the game from a different region.
    RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By RobbieMac
    @UssjTrunks: They said they would be addressing issues for those that move.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.