Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

GW2 Wins IGN People's Choice Award

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By UssjTrunks
    lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By lethalki11ler

I'm excited, the game is nearing release and the media attention is pretty high. I smell success! *knocks on wood*

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jams

It's not even out yet...

@LethalKi11ler said:

I'm excited, the game is nearing release and the media attention is pretty high. I smell success! *knocks on wood*

That was exactly the same for The Old Republic. And we all know how that turned out.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Jams said:

It's not even out yet...

@LethalKi11ler said:

That was exactly the same for The Old Republic. And we all know how that turned out.

You haven't played in the betas, have you?

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jams

@UssjTrunks said:

@Jams said:

It's not even out yet...

@LethalKi11ler said:

I hate Guild Wars and everything about it, so no I haven't played 2 yet.

Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Skogen

@Jams said:

@UssjTrunks said:

@Jams said:

It's not even out yet...

@LethalKi11ler said:

At least you're honest in your bias.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@Jams said:

@UssjTrunks said:

@Jams said:

It's not even out yet...

@LethalKi11ler said:

Guild Wars 2 called me and said to apologize to you for that incident with your grandmother and the bacon grease.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Humanity

@Skogen said:

@Jams said:

@UssjTrunks said:

@Jams said:

It's not even out yet...

@LethalKi11ler said:

It's called an opinion.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By jozzy

@UssjTrunks said:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/08/20/the-winner-of-the-ign-peoples-choice-award-is

It beat out WoW MoP and AC2.

This was held in Europe where console gaming isn't that big and people have better tastes than in other places. But it's still pretty nice to hear. It won by a landslide too (it got 25% of the votes).

Can't open the link because this library apparently doesn't like IGN (good on em). I was wondering, what game are they referring to with AC2? Can't imagine it being Asheron's Call 2 or Assasin's Creed 2 because both of them are old and WoW MoP and GW 2 are not released yet.

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Silvergun

@UssjTrunks said:

This was held in Europe where console gaming isn't that big and people have better tastes than in other places.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure Europe could go blow for blow with the US in the being tasteless department. That isn't to say they aren't right in this case.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kindgineer

@jozzy: My guess is a typo.

I find it funny that people are voting for games that haven't even released yet. I'm not going to be silly and say that GW2 will flop like SWTOR has, but this is nearly the exact same kind of attention that SWTOR received and look how stupid that made everyone look.

Just goes to show you how simply pointless these "choice" awards are, especially by the "people." When your forums are filled with a bunch of aggravated pre-teen nerds, of course the newest and shiniest thing is going to be on top. I mean, hell, I'm still surprised MoP was even up there with all the un-justifiable hatred the franchise gets from it's success.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Rohok

I just really don't see what's so GREAT about Guild Wars 2. I pre-purchased it, I'm going to play it, but it's not the second coming. I've got friends who won't stop fucking talking about it. Their STEAM names are "Name - 4 days left!" and every day it's "Only 4 more days and 3.5 hours!!!!!" And it's like, come on, for real? It's not going to be the end all, be all of gaming. It's certainly a decent video game with some solid gameplay, but what the fuck? I don't understand the hysteria and obsession.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jozzy

@GrantHeaslip said:

@jozzy said:

Can't open the link because this library apparently doesn't like IGN (good on em). I was wondering, what game are they referring to with AC2? Can't imagine it being Asheron's Call 2 or Assasin's Creed 2 because both of them are old and WoW MoP and GW 2 are not released yet.

He meant Assassin's Creed 3. Here's the full story:

Guild Wars 2 has won the IGN People's Choice Award 2012 with over a quarter of votes cast being awarded to the hotly-anticipated MMO.
    The PC exclusive title beat out 49 competitors in a list of games assembled by IGN editors from across the globe out of titles that were on display on the show floor in Cologne.
    The winner of last year's inaugural award was DOTA 2, which is similarly only in development for PC. Despite Guild Wars 2 walking away with the top prize, a number of other titles did well enough to be commended.
    FIFA 13, World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria, World of Warplanes and Assassin’s Creed III all won the silver award for the huge amount of support they received, while Injustice: Gods Among Us, Borderlands 2, Resident Evil 6, Planetside 2 and Tomb Raider picked up bronze.
    Guild Wars 2 was originally announced almost five and a half years ago and Gamescom 2012 marks the second year that the title has appeared at the show. It's due to be released worldwide next week on August 28.

These kind of "people's choice" votes mean next to nothing -- they're almost always horribly skewed. I don't know why anyone bothers talking about them.

That makes total sense, now I feel totally dumb for not considering he meant AC3. For some reason that game is totally not registering on my radar yet.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By donkeycow

I dont understand the excitement for GW2, it looks pretty bad to me.... (opinion)

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Not sure how I feel about this game. A lot of this game seems really innovative and cool, but a few things I just can't stand. Unfortunately all those things are in the combat, which is kind of a big deal. I can kind of see this pulling a SWTOR, albeit not quite as bad. Luckily for them they already have a better pay model chosen and did not sink $200 Million into this, so financially they should probably end up doing pretty well regardless. But I don't think I see this game being super popular a year or two from now.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Jams said:

It's not even out yet...

@LethalKi11ler said:

None of the games are out yet, that's the point. It's like a "best of E3" vote but for Gamescom.

People have spent a large amount of time in the beta at this point though. It may not be a game for everyone, I personally see it more as the anti-WoW, rather than a game directly competing with it. But I don't see it turning out like TOR. People realised that was crap after the closed beta's. Let's not forget that 7 years on, GW1 is still going strong and is one of the most popular online games out there.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Seppli

@Silvergun said:

@UssjTrunks said:

This was held in Europe where console gaming isn't that big and people have better tastes than in other places.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure Europe could go blow for blow with the US in the being tasteless department. That isn't to say they aren't right in this case.

Hey, in the German-speaking countries (Germany, Austria, Switzerland), Battlefield is bigger than Call of Duty. That's all I need to know!

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By UssjTrunks

: My bad, it was a typo.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By UssjTrunks

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Jams said:

It's not even out yet...

@LethalKi11ler said:

None of the games are out yet, that's the point. It's like a "best of E3" vote but for Gamescom.

People have spent a large amount of time in the beta at this point though. It may not be a game for everyone, I personally see it more as the anti-WoW, rather than a game directly competing with it. But I don't see it turning out like TOR. People realised that was crap after the closed beta's. Let's not forget that 7 years on, GW1 is still going strong and is one of the most popular online games out there.

This.

The game has been getting rave reviews so far from just about everyone who has tried it (and a lot of people have tried it). We've been able to play the game for hundreds of hours already so we know what to expect.

It will succeed on its pricing model alone. Why wouldn't people play an MMO with no subs (and no P2W)?

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@UssjTrunks: i assume your forgetting about Jeff and his opinion of the game?

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@WinterSnowblind: but thats becuase its free to play and they can technically never lose users is there a number on the amount of "active users who still play it"?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Seppli

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Jams said:

It's not even out yet...

@LethalKi11ler said:

Guild Wars 2 cannot repeat TOR's miserable failure, because it has a completely different business model. The core game has already met sales expectations months ago, mere weeks after starting their pre-purchase program.

I'd estimate NCsoft/ArenaNet has already sold between 1-3 million copies of GW2 in the Western markets. WoW usually sells around 4-5 million copies in these markets, and I suspect Guild Wars 2 can do better than that, because its subscription free business model is opening up the prospective audience immensely. I presume GW2's sales potential in the Western markets to be around 10 millions copies sold within its first year. Retaining between 4-8 million customers for their first expansion, and upkeep sustainabilty of their business model for GW2 for at least a decade.

In the longrun, it depends on how well GW2 is received by the consumers, because its sustainability comes down to how many customers it can retain, and keep happy and hungry for future content. From what I've played, GW2 should easily grab and hold around 4 million customers for the next decade or so. In other words, if Guild Wars 2 is as good as it seems to me, they'll be guaranteed big sales numbers for a long time. Seeing how they're smart about the cash shop, that'll certainly also generate good income too.

So yeah - Guild Wars 2 cannot fail like TOR failed, because TOR has already lost sustainability, at least for the grandest plans EA/Bioware had for it - whilst GW2 already is way past its target sales for the core game, and is not reliant on subscription fees, just repeat business and an active community. Seeing how you can't beat 'free', that's not going to be a problem.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@connerthekewlkid: They've only ever released sales numbers, not active users (which would be hard to determine in a game like GW). But the sale numbers are high, which is what I was referring to. The business model means they don't NEED to keep players subscribing, part of the appeal was being able to put the game down for a few months and rejoin later. But as someone who's played the game pretty regularly since it was released, I can say it still has a very active population, especially since GW2 was announced (the tie in rewards probably help).

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@Seppli: you could attach that to some guy saying something about TOR and you couldnt tell the difference

trust me people that liked TOR said the exact same thing your saying about your guild wars 2 and the unbritttled enthusiam about how its going to be a great success is how other people got turned off to it.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Heltom92

@UssjTrunks said:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/08/20/the-winner-of-the-ign-peoples-choice-award-is

It beat out WoW MoP and AC3.

This was held in Europe where console gaming isn't that big and people have better tastes than in other places. But it's still pretty nice to hear. It won by a landslide too (it got 25% of the votes).

Wait where are you getting this idea that console gaming isn't as big? Is this based on any research?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Seppli

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Seppli: you could attch this to some guy saying something about TOR and you couldnt tell the difference

Come again... don't get your point.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Heltom92 said:

@UssjTrunks said:

Wait where are you getting this idea that console gaming isn't as big? Is this based on any research?

I just don't know anyone in Europe who plays consoles lol. Not based on actual research.

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dourin

@connerthekewlkid said:

@UssjTrunks: i assume your forgetting about Jeff and his opinion of the game?

Look at Jeff's opinion on pretty much any MMO and you'll see why "forgot" it.

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Silvergun

@Seppli said:

@Silvergun said:

@UssjTrunks said:

Hey, in the German-speaking countries (Germany, Austria, Switzerland), Battlefield is bigger than Call of Duty. That's all I need to know!

Right, and what are they doing while they play Battlefield? Wearing lederhosen and drinking beer out of boots.

Taste or no taste, I guess you can't argue that the Germans don't know know to party.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Seppli

@Silvergun said:

@Seppli said:

@Silvergun said:

@UssjTrunks said:

Right, and what are they doing while they play Battlefield? Wearing lederhosen and drinking beer out of boots.

Taste or no taste, I guess you can't argue that the Germans don't know know to party.

Techno Viking disagrees with you.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Seppli

GW2's business model caters to the perfect intersection of the MMO audience. Those that hate free2play, and those that hate subscription fees - so pretty much the entire freaking MMO market (except those too poor to buy a boxed copy of the game, as well as the odd man out). It's a fullprice game, and we rightfully expect it to be feature complete and fun-to-play out of the box. Yet after that, it still acts like any fullprice game, and not like your regular fullprice MMO - just play it at your volition - no subscription fee looming over your head.

Valve has shown that 'hats aka vanity trivialities' can make a ton of cash, if you got a multi-million strong audience. GW2 will do fine for NCsoft and ArenaNet. You can bet your mother on it.

I'll never adapt to free2play, but this is the perfect hybrid. The best of both worlds. I cannot resist - and if you're in that MMO-audience intersection, neither can you.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Benny

My favorite thing about this thread is an expectation that even after tens (hundreds for some) of hours enjoying the shit out of this game, the game will somehow be terrible when it launches.

People have already sunk hours and hours and hours into this game, and more and more players came back every time to play a persistent MMO knowing that their progress would be completely wiped. The quality is already there, plain to see. People already know this is a fantastic game that is well fucking worth your $45 considering its quality and potential hundreds of hours of joy you'll get out of it without having to spend a penny more (or be pressured to in any way.)

The actual argument to be had is whether they can keep their promises and maintain this level of quality, and justify their pricing and content structure long-term to their investors and to their players.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Seppli: you could attach that to some guy saying something about TOR and you couldnt tell the difference

trust me people that liked TOR said the exact same thing your saying about your guild wars 2 and the unbritttled enthusiam about how its going to be a great success is how other people got turned off to it.

He was specifically comparing the sustainability of both games in terms of pricing. Guild Wars 2 is already sustainable. Ergo - at least on that front - it is more of a success than The Old Republic.

Turkalurch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Turkalurch

@UssjTrunks said:

For a second I thought AC3 meant Asheron's Call 3. One could hope I guess.

On a more relevant note, Yay for ArenaNet!

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By RobbieMac

@Humanity said:

@Skogen said:

@Jams said:

@UssjTrunks said:

@Jams said:

It's not even out yet...

@LethalKi11ler said:

It's called an opinion.

A biased opinion. He is basing this opinion on what he experienced in another game.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FoolishChaos

@Rohok said:

I just really don't see what's so GREAT about Guild Wars 2. I pre-purchased it, I'm going to play it, but it's not the second coming. I've got friends who won't stop fucking talking about it. Their STEAM names are "Name - 4 days left!" and every day it's "Only 4 more days and 3.5 hours!!!!!" And it's like, come on, for real? It's not going to be the end all, be all of gaming. It's certainly a decent video game with some solid gameplay, but what the fuck? I don't understand the hysteria and obsession.

People get mad fucking hyped over MMO's. Its undoubtedly silly.

I've since learned to accept the fact that I will get really hyped over a game, and it probably won't live up to that. Guild Wars 2 is awesome because I wont have to feel bad about my $15/month when I realize that I don't actually like it that much!

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jams

@RobbieMac said:

@Humanity said:

@Skogen said:

@Jams said:

@UssjTrunks said:

@Jams said:

It's not even out yet...

@LethalKi11ler said:

It's called an opinion.

A biased opinion. He is basing this opinion on what he experienced in another game.

I never said the game was bad, I just said I hate it. So I think there was actually no opinion or fact. Just a statement.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By shinboy630

@Jams said:

@RobbieMac said:

@Humanity said:

@Skogen said:

@Jams said:

@UssjTrunks said:

@Jams said:

It's not even out yet...

@LethalKi11ler said:

It's called an opinion.

I never said the game was bad, I just said I hate it. So I think there was actually no opinion or fact. Just a statement.

Was trying not to get involved, but isn't hating it an opinion? Just like liking or disliking something is an opinion.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41  Edited By buft

@UssjTrunks said:

what?

old sales figures but as you can see we bought almost the same amount of consoles

1. Wii – 24.9 million
    2. PlayStation 3 – 19.7 million
    3. Xbox 360 – 13.7 million
    1. Wii – 30 million
    2. Xbox 360 – 18.6 million
    3. PlayStation 3 - nearly 12 million

edit: ok my titles disappeared but the top is europe and the bottom is the states

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna play Guild Wars, but the way people talk about it is extremely culty and I cannot stand that kind of discourse. And I've played it and it's fun, but dude. This is the kind of language people use ten years later remembering a game, not a couple weeks before it comes out.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By UssjTrunks

: I've seriously never met a single console gamer in Europe (but lots of PC gamers) lol. I don't doubt the facts though.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jams

@shinboy630 said:

@Jams said:

@RobbieMac said:

@Humanity said:

@Skogen said:

@Jams said:

@UssjTrunks said:

@Jams said:

It's not even out yet...

@LethalKi11ler said:

It's called an opinion.

Was trying not to get involved, but isn't hating it an opinion? Just like liking or disliking something is an opinion.

I don't think so since I didn't make a judgement on the game. I just stated that I don't like it. If I said the game was terrible, that would be subjective and an opinion, but I'm not saying the game is bad, I'm saying I don't like the game.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@Jams: If you had said the game was terrible, you'd be passing off opinion as fact. Saying you don't like it is the expression of opinion through fact.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.