Halloween 2012 Update

#1 Posted by Jack_Lafayette (3467 posts) -

Anyone who's a vet of GW1 knows that ArenaNet can throw a bombastic holiday event, and after that game's release in 2005, Halloween was their first (often considered their best). In hopes of carrying that tradition forward into the sequel, they've just announced the first major content update for Guild Wars 2: Shadow of the Mad King.

Starting October 22nd, the following features will go live:

• Halloween, of course! Themed decorations, mini-games, new events, and "an epic adventure in four acts" that will run from the 22nd to the 31st.
  • The BLTP will have new stuff for you to buy with gems, including costumes (town clothing sets, I'm assuming) and transmogrification tonics that you can use to participate in Costume Brawl.
  • sPvP paid tournaments (explained here), which can earn you qualifier points for larger tournaments that will arrive later.
  • New dynamic events, new jumping puzzles, new mini-dungeons, new achievements, etc.
#2 Posted by shinboy630 (1192 posts) -

MOTHERFUCKING MAD KING THORN.

I want my mini Mad King back!

#3 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1528 posts) -

Great! I want to experience an ANet event.

#4 Posted by Riddell (342 posts) -

Guild Wars events were always great. Roll on Wintersday!

#5 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

The big question is: will there be a new hat?

Those things were real badges of honour in the first game, I hope they continue the trend of giving out unique ones each year.

#6 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2165 posts) -

ALL HAIL THE MAD KING, LA is gonna be pimped, love to see this from on that high vista point.

#7 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

Expecting big things since ANet tends to go all the way with their holiday events.

#8 Posted by JohnLocke (271 posts) -

Sweet. Hopefully Team Fortress 2 will do a Halloween themed map as well, I really enjoyed their previous ones.

#9 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Guess there's my ETA for my GW2 revival after playing XCOM obessively.

#10 Posted by project343 (2838 posts) -

Dat Lion's Arch!

*dances*

#11 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1528 posts) -

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

#12 Posted by Packfan104L4 (210 posts) -

Mining candy corn ftw!

#13 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Well, the "unique, one time only event" was a bit of a let down. It was just a short cut-scene. Pretty cool to see, but they've literally crashed the servers because of everyone not wanting to miss it. Completely unnecessary for what it was.

The new dungeon that's available is very cool though, it's exactly what the final dungeon/last boss encounter should have been.

#14 Posted by Bestostero (2750 posts) -

do we get masks or costumes?

so far been getting nothing but junk for the event...hopefully the finale will give some good stuff

#15 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@Bestostero: There are costumes to buy in the gem store and there's a free pair of devil horns, which I assume has replaced the hat you'd get at the finale, but we'll see on the 31st.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.