Headcount for new weekly event - SPvP Night

#1 Posted by Thurbleton (118 posts) -

We're wanting to get a structured pvp night for the giant bomb guild but not sure how many people would be interested in it. Tag onto here if your up for a weekly pvp night and if you'd like to see BOMB vs BOMB or teams queue'n up into tournaments. Also if anyone is VERY enthusiastic about structured pvp, as in takes up the majority of their GW2 time, and would like to help run/organize the SPvP night please let the officers know.

Also what nights would or wouldn't work for you.

Current guild events on a weekly basis are Wuv Wuv Wednesdays, Wuv Wuv Weekends (2-3 during the weekend we organize things), and Karaoke Night (Friday night usually after WvW).

#2 Posted by Dourin (232 posts) -

As we discussed on the podcast, I am absolutely down for some spvp night action. Really hoping we get some interest from the guild, as I would love to have BOMB vs BOMB night and maybe some tournies here and there.

#3 Posted by shinboy630 (1132 posts) -

I'd be interested sure, but I think we need to wait for the private server system to get put in before we can do this in earnest.

#4 Posted by Dourin (232 posts) -

Well, private server would be neat, but no need to ignore spvp for the time being.

#5 Posted by jesterroyal (347 posts) -

Dungeon Durrsdays.

#6 Posted by Lagaroth (169 posts) -

I'll try it out I guess, never done it before.

#7 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3133 posts) -

I'm eager to put some serious time into sPvP. Tired of seeing that smug rabbit fuck on my character select screen.

#8 Posted by IamTerics (400 posts) -

I've only dabbled in it, but I'm down for some sPvP nights. I like the idea of BOMB v. BOMB slightly more than teams split into individual tournaments, unless we all try to join the same tourney. Also I prefer Thursday nights.

#9 Posted by Packfan104L4 (209 posts) -

I'm up for anything. Rabbit is such a terribad rank :p

#10 Posted by celegorm_menegroth (63 posts) -

Can I do sPvP on a Borderlands map ... ? ... Thurb's team transfers to TC and goes into one tower. My team stays on Yaks and goes into another tower. First one to take the other tower wins!

More realistic take: Sure, I'll participate so as to gain a rank or two ... but I don't think it'll ever become my primary focus. If there were enough people in BOMB to do some inter-guild matches, that'd be pretty cool.

What's this about private servers? Anet is going to let people run their own GW2 pvp server?

#11 Posted by audioBusting (1467 posts) -

I'll join if you guys would teach newbies! Holidays soon, lots of time to play.

#12 Posted by Subjugation (4716 posts) -

We did some lighthearted sPvP back in the beta where we all just jumped into an empty server and ran against each other. I think those were some of my favorite moments, especially when and I were both running our shouts warriors together and had great synergy. True tournaments (not guild) could be a thing, but would likely end up being more serious and less "carefree" just by their very nature.

I'd totally be down for sPvP, but my availability will remain weekends only until I'm out of university for the summer.

#13 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Yeh, im in.

#14 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

We did some lighthearted sPvP back in the beta where we all just jumped into an empty server and ran against each other. I think those were some of my favorite moments, especially when and I were both running our shouts warriors together and had great synergy. True tournaments (not guild) could be a thing, but would likely end up being more serious and less "carefree" just by their very nature.

I'd totally be down for sPvP, but my availability will remain weekends only until I'm out of university for the summer.

<3 - also, rolling with and was some good times too.

Yeah, I reflect subs' availability. I can't commit to a schedule, but I'd be happy to make it when I can.

#15 Edited by Thurbleton (118 posts) -

@celegorm_menegroth: Back in October ANet announced Paid Tournaments would be coming out soon followed by Custom Arena's. They haven't said more then just teasing it but putting the pieces together we can assume you rent a server for a length of time with gems and can set the parameters of the match along with what maps to rotate.

Source: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/structured-pvp-iceberg/

While I can't wait for this to happen the cost per time is something to consider as it would be the first weekly guild event where we pay gems/real cash.

-----------------------------------------------------

I want to thank everyone for the input and feel free to keep posting suggestions and feelings on an SPvP night but it sounds like our best bet is a Thursday night and Sunday night where we all pile into a vacant server and do BOMB vs BOMB. From that a serious group may form and they're welcome to do arena tournaments but I think we'd want the guild events to be lighthearted.

Now all we need is 1-2 people to 'host'. If you are able to be on one or both those nights and up for making sure new and seasoned alike get into matches please message me either on the forums or in game. Once we get everything sorted we'll make it a reality... but you know... virtually.. in game

#16 Posted by pay928 (25 posts) -

I'd be up for this, only done Hot Join.

#17 Posted by Somethingsaurus (48 posts) -

I'm interested in BOMB Vs. BOMB, not sure I'd want to dive straight into the deep end with tournaments, but maybe after getting some sPvP experience under my belt.

#18 Posted by TwoGunsABlazin (47 posts) -

Sure. I would try it out. Never done it before though.

#19 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

I don't think I've logged more than 5 hours over the past month because of school. I'll be able to commit to a schedule from mid-December to mid-January as I'm on winter break (one whole month!) and probably into February as well (things usually don't heat up until the second month of the semester).

A note to anyone that might be holding back; The PvP learning curve in this game is not very steep at all. If you've mastered your keybinds and timing in PvE, you'll be more than fine in PvP. The map mechanics are not very hard to learn either.

: I can do hosting from mid-December (just nothing right now as I'm swamped).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.