Higher level testing in beta?

#1 Posted by Spiritgod (210 posts) -

I was playing SWTOR, constantly wishing it were Guild Wars 2, and I had a thought. I know all our characters were deleted after the beta event, but would the later betas do the same? I'm just wondering if higher level characters would be a good thing for the developers to test out...though I haven't a clue if being a higher level would need testing in the first place.

#2 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

When they want the players to test high level content they will probably have NPCs that make characters the highest level.

#3 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

When they want the players to test high level content they will probably have NPCs that make characters the highest level.

This sounds the most plausible way to do it. Although if it's just balancing and stuff, you're automatically max level in PvP, so they could use that as a base for small tweaks.

#4 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@Spiritgod said:

I was playing SWTOR, constantly wishing it were Guild Wars 2, and I had a thought. I know all our characters were deleted after the beta event, but would the later betas do the same? I'm just wondering if higher level characters would be a good thing for the developers to test out...though I haven't a clue if being a higher level would need testing in the first place.

In the second press beta, they had a NPC in every capital city turning players into lvl 30 character and handing them appropriate gear and sufficient skillpoints to unlock a selection of skills. I guess that's how that'll work once we get to see higher lvl content (if we get to see higher lvl content).

#5 Posted by Spiritgod (210 posts) -

I completely forgot about PvP maxing out everyone, and I never thought about the game just making players higher levels. I am hoping that the last beta weekend event will allow us to keep those characters for the official release. And if you can't tell, I'm very new to the MMO scene.

#6 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

Hopefully they allow us to play as high level asura and sylvari in one of the next beta's. It would keep us from seeing their starting missions, but let us play around with their character creation and test some of the higher level dungeon stuff.

#7 Posted by Beaudacious (926 posts) -

I remembering reading a quote somewhere that said nothing past lvl 30's for content in beta. Supposedly to not allow the user base to spoil it for themselves.

#8 Posted by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

@Spiritgod said:

I completely forgot about PvP maxing out everyone, and I never thought about the game just making players higher levels. I am hoping that the last beta weekend event will allow us to keep those characters for the official release. And if you can't tell, I'm very new to the MMO scene.

Everything is being whiped for the official release. You will get a three day headstart if you pre-purchased though.

#9 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3156 posts) -

I've heard tell that the NPC from the press beta was actually in the BWE, and people who found him could indeed auto-level to 30. Guess he was pretty well hidden, since no one on these forums knew.

#10 Posted by Spiritgod (210 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:

Everything is being whiped for the official release. You will get a three day headstart if you pre-purchased though.

I know, it's just starting from scratch each time is a little bothersome, as I like to focus and create little back-stories for all my characters, I know I'm weird. I won't complain too much, as I just want to play more Guild Wars 2, and I know that these little events are betas only. Though I can probably understand why it's necessary from a players prospective, the more levels I gain, the harder it'll be for my friends to catch up.

#11 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

@Spiritgod: I know what you mean. The first character I made was a ranger, and I grew pretty attached to him and was like 'Right, I think I'm gonna main ranger'. But then I made an elementalist, who was even more awesome and I didn't want to level her up loads because I knew everything was being wiped after the weekend.

#12 Posted by fetchfox (1221 posts) -

I hope they implement some way to quickly gain a higher level for the next beta. It'll be good testing for both them and us (and that much sweeter). If it all gets deleted anyway, I don't wish to invest heavily in a characters story to get to a higher level.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.