How much real money have you spent in the shop so far?

#1 Posted by MB (12408 posts) -

#2 Posted by yoshisaur (2723 posts) -

Haven't yet, but I definitely plan on it once I've accomplished a little more on my character. I feel that most of the stuff in the shop is something end-game users would want.

#3 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4510 posts) -

Nothing yet. Again, I really want some more style outfits and stuff, but what they offer now is lacking.

#4 Posted by konig_kei (618 posts) -

None, I don't plan on it but I know it will happen eventually

#5 Posted by Bocam (3752 posts) -

Ten bucks, just to get some gems.

#6 Posted by MrMazz (979 posts) -

I'll need to get to 80 first. Depending on how much money you can get once you hit 80 ( and the TP isn't down) I might se how much it would cost me to just straight up by T3 Heavy Norn Cultural Armor.

#7 Posted by Khemitude (222 posts) -

£8.50 for 800 gems of which i have 200 left so however many that is in dollars thats how much.

#8 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Nothing so far, not sure if I plan on it but if they add something I really want (ie: Mounts) I'll buy it.

#9 Posted by benspyda (2034 posts) -

I already payed $60 for the game, so I'm ok for the time being.

#10 Posted by sworen (28 posts) -

Nothing yet, I can see myself going it in the future possibly for things like extra character slots or more bank space. I don't see myself getting anything cosmetic, just stuff to make things go smoother functionally.

#11 Posted by Bollard (5550 posts) -

So close to grabbing 800 gems, I already have 700 from in game money so I will be able to get 3 mini pet packs and a new bank slot :D

#12 Posted by project343 (2825 posts) -

Going to invest in the game soon. Bank slots are the first thing. Cross-character, and I don't think I'll be playing as more than 5 professions.

#13 Posted by pekarn (86 posts) -

I don't want to spend any real money until I'm sure everything is running smoothly, which I don't trust yet. The only thing I know I will spend money on so far is bank tabs, the one you get is just way too small for me.

#14 Posted by Jayzilla (2562 posts) -

spending money now is a crap shoot as far as 100% getting the items in a timely fashion. also, one of the reasons i like this game is it is all cosmetic and i dont care about that stuff. heck, i even plan on spending in game gold to exchange for gems to get my character slots.

#15 Posted by ConfusedOwl (941 posts) -

Haven't spent any money on gems yet because I just got the game. Maybe in a month or 2 I'll buy some.

#16 Posted by deox (216 posts) -

Nope. I haven't spent anything yet and I don't plan to... but we'll see, maybe something will catch my eye in a few months and change my mind.

#17 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

I'm going to try and get everything I need from the shop using in game money. The only thing that really interests me is character and bank slots.

#18 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

If the game sticks for awhile, I'll likely get some more safety deposit box space in the bank - hopefully with in-game-gold-bought gems. I'm not beyond buying gems with IRL-money though, at least if I ever get a debit card for such purposes.

#19 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

£8.50.

#20 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

Nothing yet, but I'll probably buy something from there in the future. Hit level 80 last night so maybe it's time to start looking at what's in there....

#21 Edited by Death_Burnout (3797 posts) -

Y'know...trading gold for gems is preeeetty good at the moment, for the little stuff. Character slots and bank slots are the only things that look worth spending immediate money on right now....ehhh wait no, 1 character is more than enough right now let alone 5.

I don't trust spending real money at the moment due to all this hacking I'm hearing about, but yeah, gold for gems! For now...

#22 Posted by Marz (5652 posts) -

#23 Posted by Jimbo (9810 posts) -

Stopped me buying the game, so like... -$60?

#24 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Nothing as of yet, but since you can convert gold to gems I probably will get bankspace and character slots.

#25 Posted by Giefcookie (600 posts) -

I spent 10 euros and got myself 30 extra bank slots and traded the rest of the gems for gold.

For people who don't know, double clicking the last locked bag slot on your character will prompt you to spend 400gems to unlock it. Clicking the tiny tiny lock icon on the right under your bank slots will prompt you to spend 600gems to unlock more.

I know I could have just used alts as mules but since you cant mail items to your own characters, I'd rather give Anet some cash than log out, log in, log out to sort out bank space.

#26 Posted by shinboy630 (1139 posts) -

Threw in $10 to get myself a bank slot and a Black Lion Key (I was like level 4 and did not feel like going through the story to get one). I also recently traded some in-game cash for 200 gems for a dye pack, which was surprisingly easy to do.

#27 Edited by ExiledVip3r (88 posts) -

I have 40 dollars worth of gems, mostly accidentally.

I figured I'd go ahead and toss 20 dollars in the first day of the headstart in case I came across something I'd need it for, but the blacklion stuff wasn't really working yet so it didn't seem to work. Tried again the next day when I noticed I still didn't have the gems, still nothing so I gave up on buying anything. Couple days later they both suddenly went through and I had 40 dollars worth of gems.

Not really anything to spend the gems on worth buying at the moment, so their pretty much just sitting there doing nothing.

#28 Edited by Picard (255 posts) -

Nothing yet,. If I continue to play and they prove this free thing is legit - I may spent 10 or so bucks a month on the game,. IF I'm really digging it.

I'm getting pretty pissed about the trading post STILL being down though,... we'll just have to wait and see.

It's a good game,. but will it continue to be? I have to really bad feeling it's too good to be true.

#29 Posted by Bollard (5550 posts) -

I put £8.50 in for 800 gems like 6 hours ago and they still haven't come through. Anyone else had issues? Also I spent some of the gems I got from in game money on extra bank slots which are real nice. Want dem minipets doe.

#30 Posted by l4wd0g (1952 posts) -

$0 for life

#31 Posted by Xtrminatr (261 posts) -

I used a visa gift card I got for $25 on my account, wasn't really planning on using it for much else.

#32 Posted by bunnymud (717 posts) -

About $50.00

#33 Posted by Village_Guy (2577 posts) -

0 bucks, and I'm planning on keeping that way.

#34 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

£10 to buy a character slot. I have 7 of the 8 professions now and will be able to make the last one when the tengu are inevitably added as a playable race in a few months.

@Jimbo said:

Stopped me buying the game, so like... -$60?

There's nothing particularly offensive on there, mostly just cosmetic skins and the gold -> gem system means you can buy any of it using in game currency anyway. If that's the only thing stopping you playing the game, you're really missing out. Most single player games have worse DLC these days.

#35 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Since I hit level 60 and unlocked the final tier of traits with that 2g Profession Manual, I'm constantly converting gold into gems, working toward the 600 gem expensive bank expansion. In 2 levels, I converted about 1,5 gold into 450 gems - sadly conversion rates were getting worse all day. Guess soon it will start to be centered around max level economy, so conversion rates will never again be as great as they were in the last couple of days.

@Jimbo:

It's not really a free2play-style item shop. Everything in that shop can be bought with in-game gold, and the conversion rates are reasonable (and in part determined by IRL-money-spenders - the more IRL-money is spent on gems and converted into in-game gold, the less in-game gold it costs to buy gems - gems being the ultimate in-game gold sink - giving GW2 the potential to achieve a perfectly inflation-less economy).

In other words, GW2 is better for its hybrid business model, rather than worse. At least that's what my considerable powers of divination wisper in my ear.

#36 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2490 posts) -

None.

If I can get the fastest elevator in Tiny Tower without spending any real money, I'm pretty sure I got this.

#37 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Just got my first bank expansion tonight. Bought and paid for with in-game gold - of course. Pondering what gem purchase comes next. I think I want some minis. Or maybe go the whole 9 yards and upgrade to the digital deluxe edition and get a mini Rytlok for sure (and some other goodies - anybody know what a 5-day robot banker is)?

#38 Posted by madmurdock0311 (14 posts) -

I don't see any reason to, as others have stated; I have already spent $60 on the game. I could possibly lose interest in the game in a month or so. I have purchased many other MMO's, and I usually only last the first month (if that).

My MMO graveyard: Rift, TERA, SWTOR, WoW, Guild Wars, DC Universe

#39 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

There's an option missing: nothing and I'm not sure if I will yet.

Right now, my thing is whether or not it's worthwhile to bother with gems. Sure, I'll want some bank slots, but I can get all that with in-game gold >>> gems. Beyond that, what is there that I'd want to purchase with real money?

I mean, I'm not opposed to doing it. I've spent shitloads on buying skins in League of Legends. I just don't know why I would spend money on a pair of aviator glasses when I'm rarely standing around in a city/town.

#40 Posted by Barrock (3533 posts) -

Nothing yet. Depends on what they introduce. I've spent around $30 on TF2 tickets and 2 items. If they can tempt me enough, I'll throw down some money.

#41 Posted by blitzkriegblizzard (196 posts) -

I've bought 2k+ gems with gold till now. Gems are incredibly cheap. I have no idea why anyone would use real money to buy them.

#42 Edited by Barrock (3533 posts) -

I've now purchased $20 worth of gems. Ended up getting a mini collection which I regret, a dye pack, 5 keys which I also regret, an expanded bank, and then converted the 50 gems I had left to silver because I was dead broke.

I felt dirty after buying the silver.

#43 Posted by makari (597 posts) -

I haven't bought any gems with real money, though I have bought ~3000 gems with gold.

#44 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

#45 Posted by Fattony12000 (7416 posts) -

£0.00

#46 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@blitzkriegblizzard said:

I've bought 2k+ gems with gold till now. Gems are incredibly cheap. I have no idea why anyone would use real money to buy them.

Same here. Though you can be certain, some of those whom do spend money, they spend a lot. Just think how much gems you'd have to turn into gold, if you want a complete set of Cultural III armor. Every weekend, it seems like the price of gems drops somewhat. Likely most of the big IRL-money spenders play on the weekends only, and don't have the time to care about the little things in GW2, and tonnes of IRL-cash to burn.

GW2's gem system really isn't any more grindy than WoWs, in terms of time commitment in order to unlock stuff like bank space and such. As long as ArenaNet keeps such a balance, a perfectly functional and enjoyably paced core game, there's absolutely no downside for us consumers. If the bottomline is right for ArenaNet and NCsoft, then they really came up with the perfect triple-A MMORPG business scheme. Win - Win.

#47 Posted by HadesTimes (804 posts) -

Nothing yet. Not really sure why I would. As long as I keep getting random key drops and dyes. I'm not sure what the point would be. But I'm not opposed to it, if they come up with something cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.