How to Reserve Your GW1 Character Name

#1 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (2960 posts) -

ArenaNet (specifically, "The Guild Wars 2 Team") has just posted instructions on how to carry over your character names from Guild Wars to the sequel.

Of note:

• because of the naming conventions in the first game, no one-word names can be reserved
  • in order for your names to be reserved, you must at least once log in to Guild Wars between January 1, 2012 and the compilation of the "name reservation list"
  • before the list is put together, a notice will be issued
  • names that have been reserved by Guild Wars players can be claimed at any time during the head-start period or on launch day
  • after launch day, all unclaimed names will be freed for use

Sort of useless for me, given I don't plan to reuse any old names and the only new one I'm worried about is a one-worder. Is this helpful for any of you, GW1 veterans?

#2 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2494 posts) -

Nope, I'm with you on this one. It's set 250 years later, I don't see myself reusing an old name.

ED: I guess you can make a GW1 character now to reserve a name for GW2...

#3 Posted by RobbieMac (534 posts) -

Someone better not take RobbieMac.  No way I am using my old GW1, was so many years ago.  Time to move on.

#4 Posted by Beaudacious (916 posts) -

@RobbieMac: I'm making a GW2 Character called The Real RobbieMac

#5 Posted by Maystack (898 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic: That's my plan. I've got one empty slot that I haven't used on GW1, so I'm gonna make a character now with the name that I want for GW2.

#6 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

There's a couple one word names I'd like to get in GW2, but they obviously can't be reserved from GW1, so I'm just gonna have to try and get on first and snatch them up. I don't think anyone will get my other names, so I'm not worried about those.

I'm glad to see the length of time they're reserved for is pretty short though, some people seemed to be under the impression they could horde names for months/years. I like that this gives a bonus to old players, without completely screwing over the newcomers.

#7 Posted by RobbieMac (534 posts) -
@Beaudacious: Hahaha you cheeky bugger.

@selfconfessedcynic: @Maystack: Smart.  I am going to delete my one PvP character and make a new one with a name I want.
#8 Edited by Monthenor (40 posts) -

I've already freed up three GW1 character slots for GW2 names, including the mesmer name I've been using in the Beta: Nicki Miraj.

Because that joke will never be dated.

#9 Edited by shinboy630 (1117 posts) -

I wonder how they will handle people like me that want to reserve 1 word names. For example, my handle in most games (as most of you can figure out, I'm sure) is Shinboy, but my main in GW1 was Uber Shinboy cause I was younger and thought adding Uber to things made them more cool!

Edit: I apparently can't read and didnt see the first bullet in the OP. Anyway, my point still stands and I'm curious how they are going to handle people like me :P

#10 Posted by Evelgest (121 posts) -

I'm a little disappointed in that GW1 names are only reserved during the head start and launch day. If a GW1 vet can't play those days, then it'd be a shame. ArenaNet has allowed single word names now, so I don't think it would hurt to expand the window to like 3 days after head start. I already have a PvP character in GW1 with a desired name, but it seems I'll have to delete PvE characters to reserve a couple more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.