How well does this run on low-end machines?

#1 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -

Basically, I'm asking what the title says. 

Due to lifestyle choices, I've had to use a laptop for a long time, and I'm somewhat skeptical over how well GW2 is optimised for lower end machines. If anyone has any idea, that'd be super great, and I'd appreciate it! 
As a background, this thing runs Starcraft 2 and I played Rift / TF2 / Fallout New Vegas. Now bear in mind, I dont really give a shit about a lot of the graphical options. I'd rather play things at 1280x768 on low graphics so it runs better than have better specular lightning and so on. 

As a VERY quick breakdown, I'm running: 

AMD E2-3000M APU @1.8ghz (2 CPUs) 
4GB Ram 
AMD Radeon HD 6380G (Which I think is shared memory with my RAM) 

Many thanks in advance!

#2 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

Honestly I don't think it will run well at all but on lowest settings the game looks pretty bad so you may be able to get some stable gameplay out of it.

#3 Posted by Jack_Lafayette (3430 posts) -

Yeah... I don't know about this. My old desktop had comparable hardware and it barely slogged through BWE1 and BWE2 at about 2 FPS. No hyperbole. Bearing that in mind, they have done a ton of optimization, but I still wouldn't count on stable game-play with this rig.

#4 Edited by Zomgfruitbunnies (861 posts) -

System

Intel Core Duo T2500 2.0GHz

2.5 GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce Go 7600 256MB

Ran GW2 on lowest settings and got on average 20-30 FPS during gameplay. Very low FPS in character creation and during some conversation cutscenes and big world events.

Hope this helps.

#5 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -
@Dark_Lord_Spam said:
Yeah... I don't know about this. My old desktop had comparable hardware and it barely slogged through BWE1 and BWE2 at about 2 FPS. No hyperbole. Bearing that in mind, they have done a ton of optimization, but I still wouldn't count on stable game-play with this rig.
Yeah I'll wait and see as to how well its optimized once it comes out. I'm not too bothered if I cant play it, but I will if I can
#6 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

I was running the game on a Gefore 520 until recently (that's the minimum requirement GPU I believe), and the game ran at 30-50 fps (although it did drop below 30 in zergs and situations with lots of particle effects). All graphics settings were on low/off though, and the resolution was 1024x768. However, the card was paired with an i5 2310 and 8GB ram.

Since your system is quite a bit worse than the one I described, I don't think this game will be very playable on your laptop.

#7 Posted by Covaloch (19 posts) -

I found the best option that really improved frame rates was to choose the lower quality version for "render sampling". It made it look like a poor man's depth of field but my fps jumped a whole lot and it looked ok to me.

#8 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -
@Covaloch said:

I found the best option that really improved frame rates was to choose the lower quality version for "render sampling". It made it look like a poor man's depth of field but my fps jumped a whole lot and it looked ok to me.

Mmmm. It's frustrating that there's no way to demo it, or at least test it to see if it'll run on my machine. CYRI is kinda crap in general, so I have no idea. Too much hardware out there.
#9 Posted by Ariketh (606 posts) -

@Covaloch said:

I remember the game said my FPS was over 100 at one time. I was like, "What the hell? Really?" But I've actively only checked it twice. The other time, I was in town, and it was in the 80s.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.