Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

I'm moving to Japan, would this work?

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By rinkalicous

So, I'm contemplating getting this game because of how much I enjoyed the first. however, I'm moving to Japan for a year in a couple of weeks time, and so I was wondering if this game supported switching regions the same way the first game did. In GW1, if I remember correctly, you could switch 'region' 5 times. Is it the same in this? Could I start in the UK 'region' (or however they word it), move to the Japan one for a year, then switch back? Or would I always have to connect to the servers of the region I bought the game in? I don't fancy my chances of getting a decent ping if I have to connect to the UK servers on the other side of the world.

Even better would be if there's also an 'international' region like in GW1, so I could choose to play with my friends in the UK on days when I'm willing to deal with intense lag.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By shinboy630

I think they said region only matters when you buy the game, as in the region the code is from has to match the region it is being registered in. After that I think they said you could log in from any region. I would double check just to make sure though.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Maystack

To add on to what Shinboy said, the servers don't work the same way they did in the first game. This time you pick a home server when you first start playing. I think there are only EU and US servers at the moment, but I doubt you'll get that much latency depending on which one you choose.

Also, have fun in Japan duder.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.