Info on final beta weekend

#1 Posted by Maystack (898 posts) -

http://www.arena.net/blog/whats-new-in-the-final-guild-wars-2-beta-weekend-event

So ANet have made a blog outlining some of the new content in the next beta. Some of it we already knew, like the asura and sylvari, but some of the other info is nice to hear. Solo WvW content seems a bit contradictory though.

Also, if I'm reading it right, it's confirmed that characters will be deleted before the beta, so we'll all have to start fresh.

#2 Posted by shinboy630 (1117 posts) -

Ha! I was right! I knew they were going to wipe them.

#3 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA SUCK IT DOURIN

#4 Posted by Maystack (898 posts) -

Unfortunately, I was in the 'There's no way they'll wipe them' camp. Ah well.

#5 Posted by Benny (1937 posts) -

You guys totally called it, the way they didn't mention it and now they're saying "Reminder" as if they mentioned before they were deleting characters is a little shady though.

New sPVP map with guild lords, new smaller scale WvW objectives, keg brawl, 17-20 area (seen in asura video) Brisban Wildlands. Can't wait.

#6 Edited by Xeirus (1279 posts) -

Of course they are deleting the characters... what MMO doesn't clean up before launch?

EDIT: I refuse to preorder games anymore, but man am I jealous of everyone in beta. I'm crazy excited for this game.

#7 Posted by Maystack (898 posts) -

@Xeirus: Well sure, before launch. But they kept all the characters through the previous events, it's strange they're deleting them on this one.

#8 Edited by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

It would have been more convenient if they didn't wipe, but whatever, they have their reasons.

It also looks like the new PvP map won't be GvG after all. The article says that killing guild lords simply yields points, but it doesn't mention anything about the round ending.

#9 Posted by Benny (1937 posts) -

@Xeirus: Up until now beta stuff hasn't been deleted so we got to play with the same characters between BWE1 and the second stress test. A lot of people thought they would keep the beta characters for this Beta weekend as well. There was no confusion about them deleting beta stuff before the launch of the game though.

#10 Posted by Xeirus (1279 posts) -

@Benny: Oh, that wasn't how I read it, sorry, that does sort of stink. Two wipes in a row now :/

Just a little longer and never a wipe again!

#11 Posted by Subjugation (4693 posts) -

Looks like everyone will be creating asura and sylvari this weekend. That's probably all I'll play now. Sylvari ranger and asuran engineer coming up!

#12 Posted by Giefcookie (575 posts) -

I was going to make my final character anyway in this bwe so the wipe doesnt affect me. I'll most likely just get out of the intro and then head over to the Asura zone to level with some friends. It will most likely be completely packed though.

Hoping Desolation doesn't get fked over again in the WvW raffle.

#13 Posted by Dourin (228 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA: Ha! Joke's on you! I flip flopped my prediction on the most recent podcast!

In all seriousness, as we discussed on the podcast, this really is for the better. Allows Anet a chance to do a sort of soft launch with this BWE, and a month from there to better prep for the real thing. Friday is gonna be nuuuuuuts though.

#14 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (2960 posts) -

As far as I'm concerned, the wipe just means that the human, norn, and charr zones are gonna be fucking empty. Seems less like a soft launch and more like a super-stress test.

#15 Posted by Subjugation (4693 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam: I'm with you on that. There may be a few players in the other starting zones, but the balance of the population will be so heavily concentrated in the sylvari and asuran starting zones due to the novelty of new content that it isn't even funny. Really. It isn't funny.

You know you guys, the wipe isn't a terrible thing. Terrible things come from not wiping ... you dirty heathens.

#16 Posted by Benny (1937 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam: @Subjugation: If this is gonna be a 'super-stress test' though, they're gonna need to step it up again for the actual launch which will be even busier. There's probably only a fraction of the total potential player base in the BWEs.

#17 Edited by Curious_George (141 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

As far as I'm concerned, the wipe just means that the human, norn, and charr zones are gonna be fucking empty. Seems less like a soft launch and more like a super-stress test.

Definitely, but it makes sense that the areas they haven't been able to really stress in their own testing are the same ones they're pushing players to stress. I'm sure a wipe facilitates that since it'll get a lot more people creating Sylvari/Asura characters. I think I'll be running my Sylvari to the human zone, however. It's going to be a nightmare in the Sylvari area.

#18 Edited by shinboy630 (1117 posts) -

@Curious_George said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

Definitely, but it makes sense that the areas they haven't been able to really stress in their own testing are the same ones they're pushing players to stress. I'm sure a wipe facilitates that since it'll get a lot more people creating Sylvari/Asura characters. I think I'll be running my Sylvari to the human zone, however. It's going to be a nightmare in the Sylvari area.

I'm thinking of doing the same except in the charr area. It is the starter area out of the original 3 that I have explored the least, but I really liked the 2nd charr area. Plus while I want to see how Sylvari look in action I kind of want to save their content for release.

@Benny said:

You guys totally called it, the way they didn't mention it and now they're saying "Reminder" as if they mentioned before they were deleting characters is a little shady though.

New sPVP map with guild lords, new smaller scale WvW objectives, keg brawl, 17-20 area (seen in asura video) Brisban Wildlands. Can't wait.

#19 Posted by Subjugation (4693 posts) -

@Benny: Well I think that goes without saying. They're just making due with what they have to work with.

#20 Edited by Maystack (898 posts) -
#21 Posted by Benny (1937 posts) -

@Maystack: This BWE on Yak's Bend is potentially gonna be the busiest the game has ever been. Wonder what the max population of servers is? I'm also kinda worried we wont get all our guildies on before the server gets maxed out.

#22 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (2960 posts) -

@Maystack: Seems like a positive change, overall. I just feel sorry for WoodenPotatoes. That guy put so much effort into explaining the server name backgrounds.

@Benny: If it's a serious problem, we'll readjust our plans before release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.