Kekai Kotaki Departs from ArenaNet

#1 Edited by Dark_Lord_Spam (3151 posts) -

Award-winner and seemingly all-around cool dude Kekai Kotaki, Concept Art Lead for GW2, earlier announced that he would be leaving the company where he's spent the previous 8 years to stretch his creative muscles elsewhere. In the blog post he also reminisces on how he started (doing ground texture work) and thanks ANet for making his first job in gaming a successful one.

ArenaNet is widely considered to have one of the best teams of artists in the games industry, and Kotaki was a major part of that team's output. Regardless of what he chooses to do in the future, no doubt many Guild Wars fans (myself included) will be sad to see him go. You can find a large sampling of his work at his website.

#2 Posted by PeezMachine (234 posts) -

I'm not an art guy, but even I could tell that Kotaki had chops. Seemed like a solid dude, judging from interviews. Let's hope his departure won't affect any GW2 content that comes out down the line (and that he has fun with his work).

#3 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

Ah man, that sucks. His concept art was amazing.

#4 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -

lol at that armor.

#5 Posted by Stete (722 posts) -

That pic screams Vagrant Story, if there's ever a sequel this guy should work on it.

#6 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

His art is quite beautiful, but they were probably done with the vast majority of the concept art for Guild Wars 2. I'm looking forward to whatever he comes up with in the future.

#7 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

I didn't know his name until now, but the concept art is my favourite thing about Guild Wars 2. I don't think he's gonna struggle for work.

#8 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3151 posts) -
#9 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Sad to see him go but good luck also!

#10 Posted by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

He looks like an extremely talented dude, but Anet is stacked in the art department. His concept art wasn't even my favourite. I don't expect game design to be affected in any meaningful way.

#11 Posted by Istealdreams (148 posts) -

can someone please write a sensationalized article on the incredibly sexualized look of that female? I can't believe that we still have to deal with this in artwork after thousands of years!!! Someone needs shaming!

#12 Posted by Irvandus (2808 posts) -

I can't wait for people to get pissed about the armor.

#13 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

@UssjTrunks: If you google him, the GW2 art style seems to be exactly the same as his style, so I do wonder how influential he was during his time there. As you say though, there will be a lot of artists there who can really step up now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.