So now that we're in all-out preparing mode for the Guild Wars 2 release, it might be a good idea to figure out the situation for EU members. As you may know, Lincoln Force is currently rolling on Yak's Bend, which is a US server. For the past two Beta Weekend Events, most EU members have also been playing on that server, and there doesn't seem to be any major lag or latency there. This seems like it would be the option upon release. However, there are a few other options:
- If enough members do experience lag on Yak's Bend, then we could join the guild on YB, but then guest in an EU server. This would mean that we still get to take part in WvW with the guild.
- There's also the choice of making an EU version of LINC on a home server, which would be a more stable option but means we would only be affiliated with Lincoln Force in name.
Feel free to make some suggestions or voice your thoughts on the matter, so we can make the release a great experience for all regions.
selfconfessedcynic has kindly listed a list of the positive and negatives. If you're on the fence about what to do they might come in handy for tipping you a certain side.
The main positives of being with us on Yak's Bend are;
- Not only can you play with eachother, but you'll have more opportunities to play with the rest of us (as you won't have to stop what you're doing to switch servers in order for us to group together)
- The Yak's Bend guild (from the events, though the roster seems to reflect this) is looking to be 60% US, 30% EU and about 10% Oceanic. Playing on Yak's Bend would make it significantly more likely to have someone else from GB to play with (even if it's a yank skipping college or staying up late) than otherwise, as there's simply more members there. I can say that most of us Oceanics will be sticking to Yak's if the brits do leave, mainly because of the next reason.
- Server loads from the betas suggest that the US servers are on average more populated than the EU ones (using the in-game "low", "medium", "high", "full" monitors). This is mainly because plenty of other guilds out there are facing the same decision making process as we are, and for them (for example, the gamebreaker community and the yoggscast community), a lot have decided to stay together on the US servers even though they're overseas (which I hope will be the case here) in addition to the US just having more GW2 players in general.
- Yak's Bend was amongst the highest population servers internationally
- (Again), none of the EU guys or AUS guys who played on Yak's Bend, to date, have complained of much lag at all, let alone excessive lag
- And finally, Yak's Bend not only kicks some serious ass in WvW, but also, having EU guys on here would allow us to kick MORE ass in WvW because we'll have a "night shift" (which will allow us to compete with other servers with a similar redeye community like Darkhaven)
The main negatives are;
- If you have EU friends outside of the guild that you play with a lot of the time (btw I welcome you to have them join us), you'll have to stop what you're doing and switch servers to play with them (though the guesting system looks to be very easy to use)
- Language. Yak's is a predominantly English speaking server, which could be a concern for some of you.
- Yak's Bend is unproven in terms of week-day EU night time activity. If it's anything like it was during the BWEs, there was still a bunch of people playing (again, whether they be EU guys or US/Aus guys up at strange hours) - but yes, it's unproven.
- You never know, there may be a chance of random lag - though as of yet there doesn't seem to be