Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Lincolncast Live! Test (7pm Pacific time, Wed 08-08-12)

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Lincolncast Live! Test (7pm Pacific time, Wed 08-08-12)

Hey guys,

So when the game comes out (and possibly before then), we'll most likely move to a live format where we talk about the game for however long we usually do but can also interact with the chat.

Our previous live shows were at pretty bad times for that kind of thing, because they were on a Friday night during betas - so, let's be honest, we got barely anyone watching (and understandably so). However! The "Live" idea is not dead, and I still want to keep at it.

With release being roughly 16 days and 21 hours from the time of writing, I assume (and to some degree hope) that some of you would be interested in spending your Friday nights chillin' with us fellow Giant Bomb GW2 geeks. To that end, we are doing a test run of our live setup and also to gauge interest levels. It's short notice so we're purposefully broadcasting between Guildcast and Buildcast this week so for those already used to tuning in for live GW2 chat you can alt-tab to us during the hour wait. (don't worry, we won't start early because I'll be watching guildcast myself)

So! We'll do it on Dourin's channel for the test, so it's the usual (we have our own, but shrug).

Tune in to www.twitch.tv/Dourin for the "show"

What do you guys want us to talk about? We'll take suggestions / answer questions on the spot and right here and now. I don't mind getting all the way into nitty gritty game mechanics or broader stuff like what are our thoughts on the Mists of Panderia release date. It'll be an hour long and if anyone wants to stick around, we can do more after Buildcast is over.

Also, I'm saying it out front - I don't think we'll move to a "four faces" format, so you wont me seeing our ugly mugs on this test or this week's podcast (assuming we do that live as well). It'll likely just be a static image with our voices running, or maybe some looped gw2 footage at best. Maybe if there is demand for it for some wierd reason we'll move that direction but for the immediate future don't worry.

Archive

ZoomyRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By ZoomyRamen

Sounds awesome! Hopefully I can make a cameo!

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ZoomyRamen said:

Sounds awesome! Hopefully I can make a cameo!

You're absolutely welcome : D

Also - where you you last week? >:( We always have enough dudes for a show, but it would have been good to have a 5th chair for the debate. Also - want to be on the show this weekend?

I think we'll be doing another debate as people seemed to like it - probably "what race would we recommend" or something like that.

ZoomyRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ZoomyRamen

@selfconfessedcynic: It was the end of manic week at work, I was flat-out by about 10 haha. Sorry for not saying anything! I'd love to be on again.

.....Asurable is also looking forward to it.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Maystack

Be 3am here. Have to be up early so I don't think I'll be able to watch it :/

I definitely think you should do live feed of all your faces though.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By project343

Have you guys dipped at all into crafting talk? Thoughts/explanation/etc.. I can't remember it being a particularly large topic.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By shinboy630

@project343 said:

Have you guys dipped at all into crafting talk? Thoughts/explanation/etc.. I can't remember it being a particularly large topic.

We talked about it a few weeks back. I distinctly remember because while noob and I were going on about cooking and jeweling we were also watching the dude walk across Niagra Falls on a tightrope. I don't recall the episode number though.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Let's compromise. I'll provide you with a static image of my face to put up so that you can reel in the views.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shinboy630

Topic Suggestion: An Anet employee/dev walks up to you and asks you one thing that you would change about the game. I mean this in a mechanics way, not balance.

I have a few small things in mind (most of which deal with convenience), but I would be interested to see what, if any, major changes you guys would make.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

Let's compromise. I'll provide you with a static image of my face to put up so that you can reel in the views.

The only fapping I planned to do that night was to the actual game. I don't want distractions.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@UssjTrunks: Fair enough. I wouldn't want to come between a man and his Guild Wars.

OH GOD, THE DOUBLE ENTENDRE!

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By RobbieMac

@shinboy630: Dude had a rope attached to him, once I saw that I was well.. what the hell is the point of this there is absolutely no consequence for falling.

As for topics, I always like hearing peoples opinions on art, art styles and how one feels about art designers approach on an area or certain aspect of the game.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Subjugation

@RobbieMac said:

@shinboy630: Dude had a rope attached to him, once I saw that I was well.. what the hell is the point of this there is absolutely no consequence for falling.

As for topics, I always like hearing peoples opinions on art, art styles and how one feels about art designers approach on an area or certain aspect of the game.

Rough translation: Robbie wanted death.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Maystack said:

Be 3am here. Have to be up early so I don't think I'll be able to watch it :/

I definitely think you should do live feed of all your faces though.

I'll post the archive to youtube, just for you.

@shinboy630 said:

@project343 said:

We talked about it a few weeks back. I distinctly remember because while noob and I were going on about cooking and jeweling we were also watching the dude walk across Niagra Falls on a tightrope. I don't recall the episode number though.

I think it was the BWE2 impressions cast? I dont mind going over old content, so we may touch on it during the show - the main thing is that I haven't touched crafting, so the only people on who have crafted were the same two from last time.

@shinboy630 said:

Topic Suggestion: An Anet employee/dev walks up to you and asks you one thing that you would change about the game. I mean this in a mechanics way, not balance.

I have a few small things in mind (most of which deal with convenience), but I would be interested to see what, if any, major changes you guys would make.

Sounds like a great idea!

@RobbieMac said:

We'll see if we have time? We may run more show after buildcast or something.

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By RobbieMac

@Subjugation: after seeing videos of Russians climbing buildings and old water towers, it was rather boring.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shinboy630

@Subjugation said:

@RobbieMac said:

Rough translation: Robbie wanted death.

I can't say I wanted anything different. I mean, they always make it.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going live now-ish

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By project343

Was a lovely show. This whole 'debate topic' segment thing is brilliant. Next topic: who's cuter: Asura or Quaggan?

silentdante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By silentdante

damn missed it, will have to watch the recorded version, thanks for taking the time to do it though guys!

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By shinboy630

@project343 said:

Was a lovely show. This whole 'debate topic' segment thing is brilliant. Next topic: who's cuter: Asura or Quaggan?

Quaggan. Easy.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@project343 said:

I think the harder question is which is more terrifying in rage-mode.

silentdante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By silentdante

great show, just some comments from my point of view:

i think when looking at how certain level up mechanics work for the game you have to remember the MMO sort of structure which is to make things last longer than they should. this is why leveling takes longer, you have to spend all your money to unlock things, and you have to spend more skill points to unlock things. what this does is extends your game playing time because you have to try and get more money, get more skill points, and take more time to level (as an example). Now i know this is a free MMO but i think they are still sort of stuck in that MMO structure so that people don’t get on GW2 level to 80 in a week and then get bored in a onth. while there may be no monthly fee if they can get you to play GW2 for 3-4 months compared to 1 month they have that much more of a chance to make more money off you. if you take an average player who plays say, 10 hours a week off and on nights and weekend, that person, if he could level quicker and choose just the skills he wants and not have to spend a lot of ingame money to unlock things will hit 80 much faster than if he has to buy the trait book instead of gear to level and things like that. the skill system is dumb the way it is like you guys talked about, but it might also make people explore more, or use more time to get more skill points to pick up those skills for WvW and dungeons. i also think it might be a little bit for balancing in WvW but who knows as far as that.

i think the major assumption by any MMO maker is that they want the average player instead of players like me that will probly play for 20-25 hours a week maybe more. look at star wars, people hit 50 in that first 2 weeks and now everyone is done with it, not that end game stuff would have kept me playing it either, but if it took longer to hit 50 i certainly might have played for more months. so take that into why arenanet feels like they have to make their MMO like that also, so that if you take 3-4 maybe 6 months to hit 80 and get into WvW then you will still be invested in the game enough to buy an expansion or gems. if they made it so hearts fill up quicker, you level quicker and easier and get the skills you want easy, you might be "done" with the game faster, and the type of person who doesn't stick with games like most of us would for PvP and WvW then they won’t be there to buy gems and expansions. the best reason why i think this way is how i played GW1, i bought the game at release, played it to level 20 with 2 characters, did little but not much PvP and then was "done" i never bought an expansion or really looked back. now with GW2 i have a guild to actually play with, and more levels with more things to unlock and a whole other mode of play (WvW) that will make me stay with the game longer.

these are just my thoughts, i think we are all guilty of kind of being impatient and wanting to hit 80 quicker so we get the WvW character we want quicker or the skills we want quicker and easier, but don't let me put words in mouths either... i think in the beta weekend people hit level 25-30 i personally hit level 16 on one character and level 10 on 7 others so i feel like leveling is still pretty damn quick, and i did most of it solo. what might keep me more into the game past hitting 80 or being "done" is having people to play with like the stress test PvP we all did and learning WvW. so the fact it's a free MMO makes it easier to me that it might take a while to level or see each dungeon, and they have other things to offer as well. it must have been a hard balance to hit for arenanet since they want to keep people around but also make it as little grinding as possible, ending up with them being able to keep players long enough to sell expansions AND offer a great game.

sorry for the book i ramble a lot so if it is sort of repeated throughout i hope my point comes across. thanks again for the show! :)

-silentdante

-cory

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Subjugation

I don't know why I haven't followed sooner. I like the cut of your jib, sir. +1 for the Felicia Day and Olivia Munn references.

punxotani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By punxotani

Good lord f.day took a huge beating in there.

@silentdante: I like a lot of points you bring up. this game feels so accelerated sinking points into skills i might not use just to get to the good stuff doesn't feel like a drag or a set back to me. Unpopular opinion, i know, sorry.

If I started in PvP weather it's structured or wvwvw this may be a different story. is lvling just as easy in spvp and are the skill challenges as rampant in wvw as in pve?

ZoomyRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ZoomyRamen

@Subjugation: Thank you! Although, on here I range from mildly interesting to downright dull! Glad you enjoyed the show :)

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By project343

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@project343 said:

I've never seen a Quaggan angry but that sounds absolutely terrifying.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the feedback y'all. It's always awesome to hear the opinions around these parts and a lack of people saying "No, you guys are wrong about everything!" is nice. (and yes I read them - even yours

I am too tired to come up with responses to them all but on the same note I did not read anything that I outright disagree with, it all comes down to perspective and personal play style - so people who suggest rangers, for example, are totally right (but I'd say the same for any class).

See, I posted that here when I was meant to post it in the episode 15 thread. Sigh.

Anyway.

I wanted to quickly say that because of the 2nd stress test this week, we are delaying Episode 16's recording / live streaming date by one day to:

Saturday, 11th: 9PM Eastern

(yes we usually record that late at night - blame physics)

Any and all are welcome to watch us doin' it live on twitch. I'll make a post on the day / after tomorrow's stress test.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@project343 said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@project343 said:

I've never seen a Quaggan angry but that sounds absolutely terrifying.

Allow me to enlighten/horrify you.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

psst, hint *points to his DP*

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@selfconfessedcynic: I'm a little bit concerned that I didn't think to reference it until after I posted. Maybe I need to see a doctor.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By project343

@Dark_Lord_Spam: Oh god. KILL IT WITH FIRE!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.