Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Lvl 11 Sylvari, mmo NOOB, advice?

astrodoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By astrodoggy

Hey ya lil' bombers,

Getting into this game, but I'm really out of my depth. I like it a good bit, but I'm trying to enhance my experience.

So, I'm looking for advice, people to play with, and possibly join a guild.

Anyway, I'll totally be just like this http://i.imgur.com/HDdHa.gif if you could help!

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By project343

What do you need help with, specifically?

astrodoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By astrodoggy

Like, I've never played an MMO, and so I understand the combat and exploration are only a small piece of the entire experience. I tend to drop anything I'm currently doing if an event pops up, but I don't even understand how to engage people and communicate with them in-game.

Basically, I've been running around fighting stuff and helping people, but largely on my own. Need help getting started really. I basically am not even sure what to ask, but I'm pretty sure I'm missing a large part of the game, and I want to really get my money's worth.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
    Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

Start a conversation in map chat. About anything. MMOs are generally a do-what-you-want experience.

Pretty sure there's a GB guild on Yak's Bend.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

In general, the best advice I can give about playing GW2 is to try a little bit of everything, because everything you do gives you experience. What's more, increasing in level will only ever increase the content available to you. At a certain point, you can just start pursuing only the stuff that interests you the most without the risk of becoming under-leveled. 

If you need help just discovering what the different classifications of content in the game are, using the wiki can help give you an idea. And if you want to hang with a bunch of duders while you play, ask to join the Giant Bomb community guild here. 

Also, here's ArenaNet's official introductory video, which may let you know about some things you weren't explicitly aware of: 

Hope this helps!
    mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mikeeegeee

Harvest any and all resource nodes... send crafting materials directly to bank from your inventory screen. Seriously, even while you're figuring the game out, you can do this, and once you figure out how to use crafting to level, you'll thank yourself for collecting all of the resources ahead of time.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Canteu

Guild wars is a very good game to solo. Probably the easiest "mmo" out there to solo in fact.

What I'm getting at is...screw those social punks!

TheFreepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheFreepie

I'd suggest you try out WvW and sPvP when you get bored of regular PvE. There is a lot to the game that a lot of people stay away from and just focus on leveling, then they end up getting bored

astrodoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By astrodoggy

ahhhh! exactly what i'm looking for duders. THANKS! More is welcome!

@Dark_Lord_Spam: appreciate this very much! One question, I'm assuming becoming 'under-leveled' means getting to areas in the game without the ability to match their difficulty?

astrodoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By astrodoggy

also, my (bad) username is lylelovinitt.8609 if anyones interested, im on the Kaineng server

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @astrodoggy said:

ahhhh! exactly what i'm looking for duders. THANKS! More is welcome!

@Dark_Lord_Spam: appreciate this very much! One question, I'm assuming becoming 'under-leveled' means getting to areas in the game without the ability to match their difficulty?

I was just using the term at face-value (i.e. you character's level is below the minimum level of the enemies in the surrounding environment), but depending on how skilled you are with dodging/evasion and how defensive your equipped utility skills are you can survive areas up to several levels in advance. So your description is probably more accurate, just remember to check your character against the level of nearby objectives (hearts, enemies, etc.) for a quick difficulty reference.
    jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jesterroyal

@astrodoggy said:

also, my (bad) username is lylelovinitt.8609 if anyones interested, im on the Kaineng server

Hey, Feel free to guest with us over on Yak's Bend as much as you want. Its super easy to do from the main menu under world selection. The only thing you cant do while guesting is WvW. (Which i could understand why you wouldn't want to do that in your server. Lots of weirdness in there at the moment sooooo avoid that if you want to stay away from bad experiences.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.