Metric Shit-Ton of HD Direct Feed Guild Wars 2 Footage (GDC '11)

#1 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

GDC '11 was very fruitful for us GW2 fans...

 
I am dazzled with the possibilities of 5 skills being assigned to every viable weapons combination for each class. Thiefs can dualwield guns or daggers and most likely swords too. As well as any combination of these types of weapons. I also have spottet a fist-weapon. So very awesome. I wonder how many weapon persets we will be allowed to hotswap in combat (and thus the attached skills). Last I heard it was only 2.
 
Graphically - technically and artistically - WOW! Just wow! Those giant tree-beasties especially. Guild Wars 2 knows how to pull off giant beasts like no other MMORPG before it. The music too. That most guild warsy tune? It's a total winner. Like John Williams' brand of iconic. Dudes - we got a winner here! Can't wait to crown Guild Wars 2 king!
 
With no further ado - here's all the HD direct feed gameplay footage and other goodies I found from GDC '11. Hope my fellow GW2 afficionados appreciate the plethora of videos. Enjoy!
 

PCgamer got a 10minute spectator cam video of combat

  

IGN has Thief Dagger Gameplay and more...

  

IGN Thief Sword Mainhand Pistol Off-hand

  

IGN Thief Dualwield Guns



IGN Thief Bow

 

Gamespot got a Direct Feed Norn Intro...

  

Gamespot Developer Interview - The Norn - The Thief - Dye System - Personalization - Dynamic Events

  

Gamespot Second Chances Gameplay

 

Gamespot Snow Leopard Low Level Questing


Gamespot Low Level Norn Introductory Dynamic Event

  
 
I hope you enjoyed the show and come again soon for more!
#2 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Holy shit, I was hoping for some new quality GW2 footage coming out of GDC, and look what's dropped out of the sky! Thanks!

#3 Posted by CaptainObvious (2999 posts) -

Guns! I can finally make my Clint Eastwood type bounty hunter dude.

#4 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

ugh guns in a fantasy game

#5 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

A brave soul did edit the several IGN weapon videos into one single one. For your convenience!
 
  

  
 
Enjoy!
#6 Posted by HadesTimes (812 posts) -

Every time they show this game I get all excited like I did for Wow in the beginning. I wish they would announce a release date.

#7 Posted by jakob187 (21691 posts) -

Goddammit.  Guild Wars 2 and Battlefield 3 need to hurry the fuck up already!!!  CANNOT WAIT ANY LONGER!!!

#8 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Found some more videos. Guardian gameplay. Looks pretty awesome with the Guardian's weapon enchantment lashing out. Damn, that Gamespot can't play for shit though.
 
  

#9 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2568 posts) -

I wish guns had some form of stopping power in this game... and I don't know how I feel about many of the animations (with the guy sometimes just standing there, pumping bullets into an enemy at his feet). 
 
I dunno - without good animations and stopping power, guns may as well be stone-throwing. But, to be fair, the multiple-shot skill does look and sound badass.

#10 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@selfconfessedcynic said:

" I wish guns had some form of stopping power in this game... and I don't know how I feel about many of the animations (with the guy sometimes just standing there, pumping bullets into an enemy at his feet).  I dunno - without good animations and stopping power, guns may as well be stone-throwing. But, to be fair, the multiple-shot skill does look and sound badass. "

 
Stopping power in a MMORPG would be called a 'snare' or 'root'. I think I've seen the Thief class use a snaring shot and lay down some kind of trap skill which roots.
 
Despite being a step forward for the genre, Guild Wars 2 is still a MMORPG, not a 3rd person action game. It's just more dynamic, as in casting on the move and adding active dodge to the core MMORPG-style combat.
 
Most of the gameplay vids I seen thus far - it's painfully bad MMORPG players without a grasp on the very basics of the genre. So things will look a lot differently with seasoned players at the helm.
#11 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

looks ... GW-ish (which is not inherently a bad thing)
 Correct me if i'm wrong but high level GW play is based on how well people manage their recovery, so if one is tired of WoW-style MMO, GW might be a fun alternative. 
 
But its still dice roll based right?   

 
So far TERA is the only MMO with actual control, but then its heavily influenced by Korean anime art...

#12 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2568 posts) -
@Seppli
Hmm - we can hope.

With enemies themselves primarily being melee based in the original gw - who knows? With gunning being a thing in gw2, perhaps the balance of enemies would be more... balanced.

From what we've seen though, I need convincing when it comes to how dynamic the camera is, how well it keeps up with movement - especially with the amount of back, side and diagonal stepping that would be required in order to not simply be rushed down by melee enemies as a ranged class. Rangering in GW1 worked, but we don't have any indication of the maximum distance of a pistol or rifle shot - or if either have snares, etc - beyond what could just be inference from videos.
#13 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@selfconfessedcynic said:

" @Seppli Hmm - we can hope. With enemies themselves primarily being melee based in the original gw - who knows? With gunning being a thing in gw2, perhaps the balance of enemies would be more... balanced. From what we've seen though, I need convincing when it comes to how dynamic the camera is, how well it keeps up with movement - especially with the amount of back, side and diagonal stepping that would be required in order to not simply be rushed down by melee enemies as a ranged class. Rangering in GW1 worked, but we don't have any indication of the maximum distance of a pistol or rifle shot - or if either have snares, etc - beyond what could just be inference from videos. "

Since all classes can cast on the move, 'kiting' will be a commonplace tactic. GW2 is all about weapon hotswap in combat defining your playstyle. There's no such thing as a 'pure ranged' class or build. A thief with two guns will most like hotswap to a more melee oriented weapon-preset, if necessary. If anything, it's more interesting to see, how Melee-classes will deal with highly mobile casters.
 
So getting rushed by 3x enemies ---> switching Melee ---> Mass Root ---> switching pistols ---> kiting
 
Don't quite understand your camera comment. It's KB&M on PC. The players will have full camera control. Either the player keeps up or not.
#14 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:
" ugh guns in a fantasy game "
There are many fantasy settings that have guns.  There are whole D&D gun based weapon sets, buffs, spells and campaigns dating all the way back to when it first started.  Fantasy doesn't have to be exclusively swords and sorcery.
#15 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Looks incredible. I saw the necro has flying horrors with some kind of ranged attack now.  
 
The ele skills look incredible. 
 
Damage numbers seem vey high for a Guild Wars game. Guess that's something that comes with a higher lvl cap.

#16 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
" ugh guns in a fantasy game "
There are many fantasy settings that have guns.  There are whole D&D gun based weapon sets, buffs, spells and campaigns dating all the way back to when it first started.  Fantasy doesn't have to be exclusively swords and sorcery. "
I never said it did, I just said ugh because I personally can't stand it.
#17 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2568 posts) -
@Seppli said:
" @selfconfessedcynic said:

" @Seppli Hmm - we can hope. With enemies themselves primarily being melee based in the original gw - who knows? With gunning being a thing in gw2, perhaps the balance of enemies would be more... balanced. From what we've seen though, I need convincing when it comes to how dynamic the camera is, how well it keeps up with movement - especially with the amount of back, side and diagonal stepping that would be required in order to not simply be rushed down by melee enemies as a ranged class. Rangering in GW1 worked, but we don't have any indication of the maximum distance of a pistol or rifle shot - or if either have snares, etc - beyond what could just be inference from videos. "

Since all classes can cast on the move, 'kiting' will be a commonplace tactic. GW2 is all about weapon hotswap in combat defining your playstyle. There's no such thing as a 'pure ranged' class or build. A tief with two guns will most like hotswap to a more melee oriented weapon-preset, if necessary. If anything, it's more interesting to see, how Melee-classes will deal with highly mobile casters. So getting rushed by 3x enemies ---> switching Melee ---> Mass Root ---> switching pistols ---> kiting  Don't quite understand your camera comment. It's KB&M on PC. The players will have full camera control. Either the player keeps up or not. "
I honestly hope it isn't as you say, and you CAN actually make a pure ranged build from any class which has the option of having only ranged weapons equipped. Remember that we can no longer pick whatever the heck (in terms of weapons) and just dump them on the character. On top of that, of my 15 skills, 10 are predetermined by weapons (as I believe GW2 centralizes upon having 2 primary weapon sets), and 1 which shall be my healing skill. So I've got 4 skills and the traits system to make having a pure ranged Thief build not only work, but be awesome. I honestly hope this can be done, otherwise their streamlining classes in terms of having set weapons to choose and having set skills linked to those weapons is all for nought. 
 
If it is as I say, and as I hope, and you can make interesting and specialised builds with the assassin class, then I return to my annoyance at the lack of polish in the shooting animation at close range (at least at this stage), and a concern for the camera in a fast paced playstyle environment. At least in the console space, we can all note that there is a reason why arenas and such in God of War-type games (heck, GOW in general) have fixed perspectives, and that is the issue of keeping what you are focussed upon in view and to keep camera movements smooth and intuitive. In games with entirely controllable cameras - again, in the console space - the addition of camera locking and automatic orientation significantly helps keep games flowing well. As such, I have not seen anyone playing GW2 at a break-neck level, and so would like to see how the camera keeps up with it. We already have a camera which moves semi-automatically in terms of the character orientation and movement direction, I would like to see how it keeps up, and as such, how much control I would have to exert upon it to upkeep a smooth gameplay experience. Sure, in the end it's up to me to keep up with my own movement in terms of the camera - but the better the assists are, the happier I will be.
 
Most of this will only be revealed with time... but in general, all I can say is that I currently have reservations.
#18 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@selfconfessedcynic: 
 
Sure - I guess you can go guns & bow with your Thief. Don't think that's effective, but if it tickles your fancy - why not. All caster classes are ranged dd's by nature, so sure, there's gonna be 'pure ranged' - just didn't think any thief would go all ranged. Guild Wars 2 definitely isn't an action game in the vein of God of War or Devil May Cry. It just adds active dodging to the mix, as well as casting on the move - so kiting and dodging will be a big part of combat. A far cry from a pure action game nontheless.
 
On PC, usually there's an option for the camera to auto-center behind your back. From my experience, camera control never is an issue with KB&M. Consoles and gamepads don't really matter to GW2 players, since it's gonna be a PC exclusive and I doubt their business model would work in the console space. It's almost certain GW2 on consoles will never happen.
#19 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2568 posts) -
@Seppli said:
" @selfconfessedcynic:   Sure - I guess you can go guns & bow with your Thief. Don't think that's effective, but if it tickles your fancy - why not. All caster classes are ranged dd's by nature, so sure, there's gonna be 'pure ranged' - just didn't think any thief would go all ranged. Guild Wars 2 definitely isn't an action game in the vein of God of War or Devil May Cry. It just adds active dodging to the mix, as well as casting on the move - so kiting and dodging will be a big part of combat. A far cry from a pure action game nontheless.  On PC, usually there's an option for the camera to auto-center behind your back. From my experience, camera control never is an issue with KB&M. Consoles and gamepads don't really matter to GW2 players, since it's gonna be a PC exclusive and I doubt their business model would work in the console space. It's almost certain GW2 on consoles will never happen. "
hmm - I just hope we get our hands on this game sooner rather than later. I wanna start building. 
 
 Making character and team builds for pvp was my favorite part of GW1 - so yeah, I'm passionate about the random nitty gritty when it comes to that stuff. I just hope they aren't funneling us for no reason, and that they keep the depth I so loved from the original guild wars. So far there has been little of it, but I wish to keep my faith. 
#20 Posted by Riddell (342 posts) -

Crafting. That is all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.