Possible announcement on 3rd August?

#1 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

So according to a thread on reddit, a german podcast teased that they'll be putting up a video on the 3rd August that contains unexpected content for Guild Wars 2. They can't reveal what it is now because they're probably under NDA. Could be anything, could be nothing, but speculation is half the fun. What do we think might be revealed?

I can't really guess what might be truly unexpected. I'm going to wager it'll be some sort of replay/spectator mode so that awesome moments can be caught and shared with others. That's unexpected right?

#2 Posted by shinboy630 (1140 posts) -

Dance Emotes. You heard it here first!

#3 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

Is it too late to hope for Nightfall style NPC heroes?

#4 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

Pet battle system.

#5 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@shinboy630 said:

It's not a proper MMO without it! Totally not buying if it doesn't ship with /dance.

#6 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

/pizza command that orders pizza to be delivered to your door from a nearby chain.

#7 Posted by shinboy630 (1140 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

/pizza command that orders pizza to be delivered to your door from a nearby chain.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why that did not catch on. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to settle for delivery.com for my lazy-ass food ordering needs.

#8 Posted by UssjTrunks (534 posts) -

They're announcing a delay in development. New release date: Q2, 2013.

#9 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@Silvergun said:

They were originally going to be in the game, but there's just no need for them with how the game is structured. Every class is self-sufficient and the majority of the game can be played solo or with random groups of players.

I can't even begin to guess what it could be. Player housing/guild halls is the only major thing missing from the game, and they've said that would be coming sometime after launch. Maybe that's been bumped up a bit.

#10 Posted by shinboy630 (1140 posts) -

After just glancing over parts of that thread, I think my bet is either on a really robust spectator mode (maybe even a broadcast mode for casters) or the mobile app, because nobody expects that thing to be ready for launch.

#11 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

@shinboy630: either of those things would be a big surprise to me.

#12 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Guild Wars 2 for PS3.

#13 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

I can't even begin to guess what it could be. Player housing/guild halls is the only major thing missing from the game, and they've said that would be coming sometime after launch. Maybe that's been bumped up a bit.

Aw man, now I'm going to be disappointed if it's anything other than that.

#14 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

@zyn said:

Guild Wars 2 for PS3.

Ooh, that might be a good bet. It's been rumoured in a lot of places. Don't know if they'd reveal it this close to launch, unless the ps3 release is later on.

#15 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@Maystack said:

@zyn said:

Guild Wars 2 for PS3.

Ooh, that might be a good bet. It's been rumoured in a lot of places. Don't know if they'd reveal it this close to launch, unless the ps3 release is later on.

Could be. It's rumoured to be shown on the PS3 and 360 at Gamescon, which is on the 15th.

#16 Posted by shinboy630 (1140 posts) -

@zyn said:

Guild Wars 2 for PS3.

People are having a hard enough time running the game on Kepler cards, so I can only imagine the pure horror that the PS3 version would be.

#17 Edited by Dourin (232 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:

YOU SHUT YOUR FILTHY MOUTH!

@shinboy630 said:

@zyn said:

Guild Wars 2 for PS3.

People are having a hard enough time running the game on Kepler cards, so I can only imagine the pure horror that the PS3 version would be.

Well, to be fair, one of the devs did say while streaming BWE #3 that the game is still very CPU-dependent still, but will continue to be optimized.

#18 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3308 posts) -

@Silvergun said:

Not going to happen at this point. The game is designed without them in mind.

@Aronman789 said:

Pet battle system.

Already in. Look up Polymock.

@Cloudenvy said:

@shinboy630 said:

It's not a proper MMO without it! Totally not buying if it doesn't ship with /dance.

They're there, it's just one of those little things being saved for release. You can already see videos of NPCs performing the male sylvari and female asura dances.

#19 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Silvergun said:

They were originally going to be in the game, but there's just no need for them with how the game is structured. Every class is self-sufficient and the majority of the game can be played solo or with random groups of players.

Yeah, that's very true, doesn't mean I won't miss it though! My favorite thing in GW1, after Random Arena, was trying to figure out the most OP hero combos possible.

I was reading some stuff about a Tengu city which was apparently visible from one or two of the zones. I'm going to go out on a very, very long limb and say they're announcing Tengu as a sixth race at launch!

#20 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

@Silvergun: If they announce Tengu as a race, but not Quaggan I will be pissed.

#21 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3308 posts) -

@Silvergun: The Tengu stuff seems like more of a set-up for them being playable in the Canthan expansion. They wouldn't announce a completely untested race this close to release.

#22 Edited by shinboy630 (1140 posts) -

@Silvergun said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Silvergun said:

Yeah, that's very true, doesn't mean I won't miss it though! My favorite thing in GW1, after Random Arena, was trying to figure out the most OP hero combos possible.

I was reading some stuff about a Tengu city which was apparently visible from one or two of the zones. I'm going to go out on a very, very long limb and say they're announcing Tengu as a sixth race at launch!

I doubt they will be there as a race, but that Dominion of Winds city (the walled Tengu city) could totally be this. I doubt they will make it just another "regular area" if you get what I mean though. Maybe it will have some other function that I just cannot think of.

If that is not the case, I totally expect the Tengu to be an expansion race with the Dominion of Winds as their capitol city.

#23 Edited by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

GFX overhaul :P

#24 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

Whatever it is, I hope there's a nice long developer video like last time with the end game and legendary weapons.

They need to do more of those. Also, more sPvP streams.

#25 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1456 posts) -

Well, whatever it is I hope it's good. Until then I'll be checking out the Guild Wars 2 Artbook that was just arrived at my apartment.

#26 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@Silvergun: The Tengu stuff seems like more of a set-up for them being playable in the Canthan expansion. They wouldn't announce a completely untested race this close to release.

I agree. They've specifically said the Dominion of Winds won't be available at launch, but the tengu outside the walls tell you that they'll only speak with those who've proven themselves worthy (like by defeating a dragon, maybe?). I don't know if the tengu will build into the Canthan stuff, or if they'll be a smaller stand alone thing, but they're definitely coming later as expansion content.

#27 Posted by jakob187 (21672 posts) -

@Silvergun said:

I would really hope that they offer something like this. It worked well in the later Guild Wars stuff, and the carry over by BioWare into TOR made that game work pretty well also. It makes solo content a bit more enjoyable and you don't feel so...I don't know, ALONE in an MMO world.

#28 Posted by shinboy630 (1140 posts) -

@Dourin said:

@shinboy630 said:

@zyn said:

Guild Wars 2 for PS3.

Well, to be fair, one of the devs did say while streaming BWE #3 that the game is still very CPU-dependent still, but will continue to be optimized.

Yeah I know, but my point is that if they are taking this long to optimize the game for the highest of high end PCs, I have serious doubt that they game would perform well on a console. Unless the team that they have working on performance is working on getting PS3 version running well, thus slowing the optimization of the PC version. I really doubt that is the case (and admittedly am not 100% on how such things work), but if it is I will not be happy at all.

#29 Posted by Turkalurch (198 posts) -

So I'm putting my bet on something Guild related. As in pertaining to player guilds. We shall see. Either way I cannot wait for this fuckin' game! Who's with me?

#30 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@shinboy630 said:

@Subjugation said:

I cannot for the life of me figure out why that did not catch on. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to settle for delivery.com for my lazy-ass food ordering needs.

It actually is gonna be /food and it just lets you order food from your area.

#31 Posted by shinboy630 (1140 posts) -

@scarace360 said:

@shinboy630 said:

@Subjugation said:

That basically is what delivery.com is. If they manage to get something like that working somehow...oh man. So bad for my health.

#32 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@shinboy630 said:

@scarace360 said:

@shinboy630 said:

@Subjugation said:

That basically is what delivery.com is. If they manage to get something like that working somehow...oh man. So bad for my health.

You wont have health!

#33 Posted by shinboy630 (1140 posts) -

@scarace360 said:

@shinboy630 said:

@scarace360 said:

@shinboy630 said:

@Subjugation said:

You wont have health!

Pfft, who needs it when you have GW2!

#34 Posted by project343 (2827 posts) -
#35 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@shinboy630 said:

@scarace360 said:

@shinboy630 said:

@scarace360 said:

@shinboy630 said:

@Subjugation said:

You wont have health!

Pfft, who needs it when you have GW2!

I know!

#36 Posted by MrMazz (981 posts) -

Maybe Tengu as a race you can buy to play as post launch? Or Polymock which I will play the living crap out of.

#37 Posted by silentdante (57 posts) -

so wait... the german podcast said arenanet will unveil something on the 3rd or the podcast is going to uveil something?

i can't imagine they will get to unveil anything new since that would really be a PR thing for arenanet to do not some podcast, no matter how popular it may be. so i would guess it's just a reveal of something that they (as players) found in the game but hasn't been mentioned or something like people have suggested and it shows off something that might not have been revealed but was known about.

as for my personal guess it would be some area we haven't seen or showing off a minigame or minigame area we haven't seen yet.

#38 Posted by EnchantedEcho (739 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:

Bahahahaha, I would actually just laugh if that happened. I've been waiting for so long that I don't think I would care that much.

#39 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

The official site got updated, looks super nice. My only gripe is that it needs a little optimization, some text boxes look too large and some text doesn't stand out very well. The profession pages and stuff are real well done.

#40 Posted by Turkalurch (198 posts) -

@MrMazz: @MrMazz said:

Maybe Tengu as a race you can buy to play as post launch? Or Polymock which I will play the living crap out of.

A new playable race would be a part of an expansion most likely.

#41 Posted by Bollard (5555 posts) -

@Dourin said:

@shinboy630 said:

@zyn said:

Guild Wars 2 for PS3.

It would be nice though if it was at least somewhat optimised by the time, you know, it's like, released.

#42 Posted by Dourin (232 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@Dourin said:

@shinboy630 said:

@zyn said:

Guild Wars 2 for PS3.

It would be nice though if it was at least somewhat optimised by the time, you know, it's like, released.

I totally agree. Though, I mean, they made some pretty good progress toward that from BWE #2 to BWE #3, so here's hoping.

#43 Posted by Bollard (5555 posts) -

@Dourin: I'm fairly sure mine got worse between 2 and 3, although I think I'm an anomaly. But it was still really poor. I should easily get a solid 60 in GW2 (I've only been running on medium) and it's just not happening. Changing to low doesn't affect it in the slightest either.

I was really looking forward to running it on High come release too to really soak it in, but I don't even think it will run well enough then, and what I did see of high looked graphically worse than medium somehow due to some weird post processing blurry nonsense in the distance.

#44 Posted by Dourin (232 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@Dourin: I'm fairly sure mine got worse between 2 and 3, although I think I'm an anomaly. But it was still really poor. I should easily get a solid 60 in GW2 (I've only been running on medium) and it's just not happening. Changing to low doesn't affect it in the slightest either.

I was really looking forward to running it on High come release too to really soak it in, but I don't even think it will run well enough then, and what I did see of high looked graphically worse than medium somehow due to some weird post processing blurry nonsense in the distance.

Yeah I'm not sure then. I noticed a substantial increase in performance from BWE 2 to 3, especially in my ability to stream. That said, I also discovered a memory leak, so clearly things are not 100% there yet. I think the blurring things in the distance was intentional, to present a sort of depth of field, and allow for further draw distances without a framerate hit, but yeah, I agree it looked a bit odd, and occurred closer to the player character than it should have.

#45 Edited by TheHT (11286 posts) -

The main site's been redeigned. Looks just like the forums from the beta and you can login now. Most importantly there's a fat countdown.

Maybe related to this announcement. Probably not, but there you go.

#46 Posted by Maystack (906 posts) -

Well, looks like the announcement was nothing more than a new area. Hardly 'totally unexpected'. Damn Germans, getting my hopes up.

Article (In German)

Reddit Thread

#47 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3308 posts) -

@Maystack: Oh well. At least the new background music is some of the best I've heard so far in the game. And Ebonhawke looks cool.

#48 Posted by shinboy630 (1140 posts) -

While not unexpected, I think this is a cool announcement. Ever since I read the books/saw the concept art I've been curious what Ebonhawke actually looks like, because IMO the book and art made it seem like two different cities all together.

#49 Posted by RobbieMac (535 posts) -

@Maystack: lol a new area. Man that sure wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be, since you know there are bound to be a bunch of new areas we haven't seen when we play the game.

#50 Posted by shinboy630 (1140 posts) -

This video was also posted on the Reddit Thread, showing off Ebonhawke and some of the area. Watch at your own risk.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.